Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I was really impressed. I felt nervous about buying “mail order” but was great to ride it. The finish and detail were excellent as well.
Glad you liked it and to ride it in those conditions and at least you could test the brakes well. I bought my Vitus mail order and certainly was not disappointedand would do so again. If you are OK with set up etc and maintenance then no probs.The only thing I will say however is that companies don`t always get certain parts right for the frame size, ie crank length and stem sizing. I know that there will be somebody saying that I bought the wrong size frame but I would disagree with that. What I am saying is that if you decide to buy the bike just make sure the crank is the right size as that would be expensive to change, stem is not so bad.
Thanks for replying back Buck.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Mrs 26 fancied a ride. The forecast was showers but not many. So out round her favourite lanes was lovely but we caught a shower at Berrow. We aimed for the church and sat it out inside. Underway again I rode through the ford at Clencher's Mill. Not something I usually do these days. Ledbury was busy but we found a spot for lunch.
We climbed steeply out of Ledbury up Knapp Lane onto Cut Throat Lane, a route not used for a very long time. Eventually, tho', we had the climb over the Wyche to complete. All done and home for a cuppa. 38 smiles

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Yet another gey, damp and windy morning, but by around 1pm the drizzle had stopped so, after a spot of lunch, I got the Spa Elan out for a quick ride out. I took the direct route out to Martlesham (9 miles instread of 15 using the normal route), then up and into Little Bealings and on to Hasketon to get an updated picture of the local church for the thread on the photo gallery part of this forum
St. Andrew's, Hasketon (4).JPG
After that it was back down to Great Bealings, across to Tuddenham St. Martin, down to Rushmere St. Andrew and home via Buclesham for another metric 50 and an example of some "special" parking by the person house sitting for my next door neighbour
shoot parking of the highest order.JPG
Screenshot_2019-09-26 Hasketon, as it's stopped raining Ride Strava.png
Screenshot_2019-09-26 Hasketon, as it's stopped raining Ride Strava(1).png

https://www.strava.com/activities/2741555630

Mike_P

Guru
A rideless Sunday due to making use of the free local bus, that runs that day until the end of the year through local sponsorship, to and from town to watch the time trails by the start ramp meant, with a week off work, a Monday morning outing for the Defy to Menwith Hill and back once I had fitted it with its Zefal Swan and Croozer mudguards. Despite that the wet roads from the overnight rain meant a pair of well sprayed legs on the first downhill. The return was timed nicely to watch the Junior Womens time trail (see the Watching the UCI championships thread) and quite notable for the noise from some team cars with loudspeakers instructing the rider, or a fellow watcher commented the rider was trying to ride away from the car. A short ride home thereafter – 15.63 miles 974 ft climbed 13.1mph avg

Tuesday was rideless as well but on Wednesday the Defy had a northerly outing. On the brief use of the A59 the Australian Elite Womens Road Race team headed in the opposite direction trailing their route.
Aus Womens Elite.jpg

North on the A61 from Killinghall traffic was being stopped and the occupiers of a marquee that had been set up alongside the road at Ripley gave a large cheer as I passed. After turning off got a PR on the road north west from Markington (NCN67) Up to and down from Hob Hill to head west towards Sawley and found myself failing to keep up with the Italian Elite Womens team. As had happened on Monday a “No Cycling” rule was uttered by a marshall but which quickly countered simply by the fact others were. At Hebden bank the Netherlands Elite Womens team strolled up the bank as if it did not exist – Starva claims gradients up to 44.8%
Dutch Elite Women.jpg

After the time trailists passed back direct along the race route going the wrong way around roundabouts and the easiest right turn on the A61 for some time. 20.15 miles 1357ft climbed Avg 14.4mph
250919 route.jpg
250919 elevation.jpg

There was a distinct south westerly yesterday so west along Penny Pot, north on the B6451 and west on the A59 was a bit of a slog with the only respite from the largely cross head wind being during the sheltered part of the climb of Cote du Blubberhouses, presumably a Cat 4 climb due to its length than gradient although the rough road surface meant dropping a gear to cope with that. Destination was Summerscales (12.4 miles and 1046ft climbed) and the only available road sign to prop the bike against was on the westbound side. The rain then came and went and then the very drawn out Mens Junior Race passed (again see the Watching the UCI Thread). The rolling road block was immediately behind the last race vehicles and the lengthy queue of general traffic meant a quick dash across the road and I continued west to Bolton Bridge and then through Addingham and Ilkley to Askwith where it dawned on me the south westerly would make it good day to go up another climb I have avoided; that from Askwith to the moor top . Initially steep from the junction in the village it eases although quite a drag on the final length to the top – I spent the time counting the pedal strokes as the top very very gradually became closer and made it before I got to 100. Across the moor, down to Swinsty rerservor, Fewston and back on Penny Pot. The longer return ride had 1487ft of climbing at a 14mph avg and all told another metric half century at 35.29 miles .
260919 route.jpg
260919 elevation.jpg

Last edited:

jongooligan

Legendary Member
Had a creaky click thing going on and discovered some play in BB so fitted a new Hollowtech 2 bottom bracket to my Kinesis Racelight this morning. Need to take it out for a longer test ride .........

Went out for a bit of noodling to test this fix. Didn't want to stray too far from home in case (a) my fettling came unfettled and (b) it started to chuck it down. Well the fettling stayed fettled but it is now chucking it down so that worked out OK.

A couple of laps of the Leamside TT course followed by some loops around East Rainton, Fencehouses and Castle Dene were enough for me to realise that the creaking has stopped but the click is still there. Dammit! I thought they were part of the same thing as they were in sync with the pedal revs. New BB is very smooth btw. Amazing how gummy the old one had become.

On the way across to Lumley I got a very close pass from white van man. It seemed deliberate and totally uneccessary as there was plenty of room. That was confirmed by a second close pass (I passed him in a traffic queue) where he had the passenger window down so that both he and his passenger could shout threats and abuse at me. Absolutely baffled why they were so irate but wasn't going to engage.

Anyway, pleased to get out for a ride even though it was just 18 miles.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Big gang out today. Steve E, John G, Jules H, Rich B, Pete M, Margaret PR and me made 7. Craycombe Farm Tearooms was the decision so it was a traditional route by Strensham, Eckington and the Combertons. A rain shower had us stop to shelter in the churchyard. Onward by Cropthorne took us back across the Avon. Time for coffee.
John headed off up the main road while the rest of us preferred the quiet lanes by Bishampton and Throckmorton. The water in the ford at Pinvin had gone down by half a meter since Wednesday but was still impassable by car. Still no sign of the sunken vehicle either. Pete lead us around to Stonehall Common and not long after Jules peeled off home. We parted at Upton just leaving me to take my usual run back.
Nice outing in blustery conditions. Everyone had fun. 55 smiles

Old jon

Guru
Twelve days since my last ride! It is all my fault, I broke the rule. The rule that says
Don’t
Involve
Yourself
The kitchen looks better for it. Honest.
So take out the fixed and find out if I can still ride it. This is yesterday, and the weather was a bit yuck in the morning, with promises of being less yuck in the afternoon. I believed the promises and was not disappointed, by the weather anyway. The usual chug around Holbeck took rather longer than expected, who would expect a traffic jam there on a Saturday afternoon? Escape through Hunslet and climb the awkward hill to John o’ Gaunts. The mileage just ticked to five and a half as I rode past the front door of what was once the pub of that name. Pedalling becomes easier, through Woodlesford and across the waterways with an all too brief glimpse of green fields. Then up the two short climbs and into Swillington. The road tends upwards again, according to my map there is a brickworks to pass before the descent to Garforth.
Around the northern side of the town, fields on the left and housing on the right then urban stuff almost all the way to the roundabout over the M1. Ride away on the B1217 towards Lotherton Hall, being passed ( nicely ) by a couple of minibuses and two full size versions apparently going to the Mint Festival. I like live music, usually go to a couple of gigs a week. Spending the weekend in a muddy field? The band would have to be good, these days. Keep pedalling, no choice on this bike, reach the gates to the hall and turn left onto Lotherton Lane. The breeze has a few hedge openings along here which remind you, me anyway, that I have been enjoying a tailwind. Which still helped a bit along Main Street in Aberford.

The road out stays sort of close to Cock Beck, but higher, until crossing the beck at the bottom of the hill up to the maypole at Barwick. Turn left, more rising road leads out of the village until a bit of a drop towards Scholes. A quiet place on a Saturday afternoon. Cross the Beechinged railway on the way to the A64 and once there turn left and then right onto Thorner Lane. The next left reaches the A58 after a mile or so, as I turned left onto that road there were sirens. They were travelling in the opposite direction, I am still wondering where they were going to. Anyway, down that big hill, still spinning out at twenty eight. Turn right to head towards the Oakwood Clock and then down to the Fforde Grene junction. Named after the pub that once adorned the crossroads which has been replaced by a much more complicated junction that is less than easy to negotiate on two wheels. More downhill, heading to cross the river at Crown Point Bridge. Which leaves me with a short ride further to reach home. Just over twenty eight miles, an encouraging moving average, for me, and a smile ‘cos I beat the yuck weather. Marvellous!

The garthing provides a scribble

28092019.jpg

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
Yesterdays ride, not many miles done lately and it was blowing a fair bit so an hour meandering on the ebike...past theNene Valley Railway and saw.....

The Flying Scotsman. I thought there were a lot of folk hanging around telling my mum (89) just now, she said she went on it circa 1951 or 2,Bristol to Alnmouth Northumberland, lovely train to ride on she remembers.
Also rose through Ferry Meadows country park, apparently otters are a regular sighting now as well as ravens.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Weather
Dawes Kingpin
Group ride.

I’ve been watching the weather all week in anticipation of a group ride I organised for today. It wasn’t looking good, and I considered postponing the ride to another day.

After taking the Fragrant MrsP to Heathrow at stupid o’clock, coming home and taking the dogs out, I got the Kingpin out to meet some other small wheeler riders at Didcot Station.

Six hardy folks turned up all on Kingpins ( I was expecting a few more on other small wheelers) and we set off for our ride along cycle route 5 to Oxford, stopping At Abingdon for coffee and cake.

We continued to Oxford via Radley keeping mostly off road, along the Thames and stopped for lunch and came back.

The pace was conversational, there were stops for photos, minor mechanicals and site seeing.

The weather was supposed to be awful, but we got lucky and only got slightly damp once.

I had a nice time with a bunch of strangers I met on the internet. It’s a funny old world.

About 35 miles, not bad on a 50 year old shopping bike.

Mr Celine

Discordian
Yesterday's ride. It was 2:00 before the roads looked dry enough to venture out, but it was at least sunny and just warm enough for shorts. I headed west into the wind with the intention of a short out and back but ended up extending it twice to make an anti-clockwise loop.
It was only warm enough for one photo stop.

These are the Bear Gates at Traquair House. They were closed behind Bonnie Prince Charlie and will only be opened again when there is a Stuart on the throne, or Brexit is solved, whichever comes first.

The map -

53 miles @ 15mph 3093 feet up.

Out for the first time in about 6 weeks yesterday, nothing too special. Headed up Stewarton Road via the Dams to Darnley country park, following the route of the Tour of Britain once again.

Puggled my way over the top of climb, I tucked into the descent, a mile or so in I hit a bump at ~33mph and heard a noise that can only be described as "fwip", and looked back to see, no pannier.

I then spent 20 minutes combing the area trying to find the thing (is that it? no, that's a dead badger, poor sod :cry:) before giving it up as lost. Rode home, not willing to continue on because of the risk of being stranded sans tools, pump, inner tubes etc.

Got back home to see the pannier sat on the kitchen table where I'd left it. RAGE

Then went back out but with 21 miles in the bank I decided not to go too far in case my lack of fitness came back to bite me, so went for an aimless wander, ended up at the Belladrome, but my body said "nuh uh" after the third interval so then pootled around the city exploring the aftermath of the Great Scottish Run.

Total for the day: 44.5 miles, 1900ft, 12.6mph moving average.
1569808716104.png
1569808791973.png

Top Bottom