Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
And a grand day out it was too. Thanks for organising it @CarlP . My wife used to worry about me going out to play with potential axe murderers I met on the internet............I think she's come to terms with it...............
So that's what the "P" in "@CarlP" stands for, is it? Carl Potential-Axe-Murderer. That's how I will always imagine him from now.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Grabbed another cheeky 21 miler today before the latest weather front was due. Turned out to be a nice little ride, with a large Severn Bore, a couple of nice chats with total strangers and a great encounter with an elderly lady who was doing John O'Groats to Land's End, fully laden and unsupported, 30 miles at a time. Chapeau! I was able to point her in the right direction and offer some words of encouragement.
Just a shame that she narrowly missed the spectacle of the Severn Bore at Stonebench. I hadn't realised one was due, but I pulled over to wait for it when I spotted a crowd of about 20 people waiting at the roadside by Riverside Farm. Just as the wave arrived, I had to move my bike to let a Ford Fiesta pass, so I didn't get a picture. The driver timed it all wrong, and ended up having her wheels washed by a tidal wave as she passed a parked car right alongside the riverbank. This was the immediate aftermath:

Plenty of mud to be removed from my boots and the bike later. By the time I got to Epney, the Severn had breached the opposite bank, and was above the level of the road, though thankfully kept out by the flood wall:

At Framilode, I made a new friend of this lurcher that had been lying on the flood wall watching the tide:

Carried on to the bottom end of Frampton before turning for home and encountering JO'G-LE Lady again. The river level had already dropped about 6 feet by the time I passed Epney, which seemed unusually fast. Got home in the dry, avoiding the flooded, muddy lane at Stonebench. 21.9 enjoyable miles.
Cheers, Donger.

I had to go to a training course in the next town today. It's 10k one way and 200m below us.

I didn't take any pictures, so here's a graphic representation of the ride. I came back on a different route to normal because I'm fed up of always climbing the same hill...

Once up the hill I entered the Twilight zone, a complex and entirely sign free expanse of fields, hedgerows, and random roads going in various directions that I have never managed to cross using the same route twice.

Also, it was blowing a hooley.

Esslingen_return.jpg

Last edited:

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
I had to go to a training course in the next town today. It's 10k one way and 200m below us.

I didn't take any pictures, so here's a graphic representation of the ride. I came back on a different route to normal because I'm fet up of always climbing the same hill...

Once up the hill I entered the Twilight zone, a complex and entirely sign free expanse of fields, hedgerows, and random roads going in varios directions that I have never managed to cros using the same route twice.

Also, it was blowing a hooley.

View attachment 487206
As long as it blew the cobwebs away after doing your course, that’s what counts!

jongooligan

Legendary Member
Fancied a bit of a bimble today so dropped down through Chester le Street market place and headed out to Rickleton where I got onto the C2C path and turned uphill. My legs felt good, having not been out since Friday and there always seemed to be someone in sight who was going just a bit slower than me so I was continually pulled along by an invisible carrot on a stick and made rapid progress. Realised how fast I was going when a dog suddenly appeared from the trackside undergrowth and I had to drop anchor. The back wheel locked up on wet leaves and tried to overtake me so I took it a little easier after that.

About 13 miles in and I reached Annfield Plain having not even broken sweat so I decided to chuck in a few hills. Carried on up the track to Brooms then took the fast descent to Stoney Heap.
20190930_120615[1].jpg

The beast of Brooms

The descent is fab but it had to be paid for. At the bottom there's a dodgy offset crossroads with terrible sight lines so I had to lose all my speed to get through that. Then there's a gravelly downhill bend straight into the steepest part of the climb. Romped up to the top and was barrelling along towards Maiden Law when I felt the rear tyre grounding out. Bugger!

Stopped to pump it up and carried on but it was down again within a mile so had to stop to repair it. And couldn't.

Whatever it is that's stuck in there is stuck tight. Thinking it was a flint I tried to dislodge it but only succeeded in breaking it and making it even sharper. Eventually, after lots of faffing and swearing I called in the cavalry for a rescue.

Had intended to do a lot more but finished with 22 miles.

bruce1530

Guru
Haven’t been out much lately, so determined to get a decent run in today. Headed along the coast to Largs - can be a busy road, but nice and flat.

Light breeze in my face as I left, pleasant if uneventful trip outwards. Arrived at Largs ferry terminal - exactly 20km - and went on a bit further to make a 50 round trip.

Half way to Wemyss Bay, 25k, stopped to admire the view, then headed back. Coffee in Largs, then homewards.

Nice trip. No strava PBs, no new roads, no nasty close encounters - just good weather, and uneventful, pleasant riding.

Then, about 100 yards from home, there’s a section where the main road narrows, with 2 traffic islands, just outside a school. And that’s where the idiot in the Volvo forced his way past.

AndreaJ

Veteran
Despite the awful weather forecasts for Shropshire I managed 2 rides without getting wet. Yesterdays ride needed a change of planned route as there was a 10k race in Wem and lots of roads would be closed so I decided to stick around Whixall as they wouldn't be brave enough to send people that way in case they got lost never to be found.(Lots of people get lost here) I started towards Northwood then turned to Whixall carrying straight on to Hollinswood where I turn left at the crossroads to Fenns Wood and Fenns Bank through a few floods, taking the second bridge over the canal to Blackloe and onto Alkington where I turn to Tilstock. In Tilstock take he next turn back towards Whixall coming out at the crossroads from earlier, turn left and retrace my route for a short distance before turning onto Goblins Lane and towards Stanleygreen, Lower Houses and Coton , turn to Cotonwood where I find a much bigger/deeper flood but get through ok to find an even bigger flood which I couldn't even see the end of, decided that was a bit much and turned back to take a different lane forgetting that the last flood was now at the bottom of a downhill section and hit it with a bit too much speed and got wet. Rejoined the lane I was originally on and coming to the Whitchuch Road there was a road closed sign, luckily it was closed to the left and I was going right, turned back towards Braynes Hall, Abbeygreen, Waterloo, Edstaston, Ryebank, Horton and back home. No rain, no wind and still quite mild- still short sleeves and shorts weather. Lots of cyclists out too. The rain and wind started when I got back which unfortunately meant a wet dog walk. 26.3 miles/ 15.8mph average.
Warm and sunny again this morning and I decided to go the opposite way so started towards Wolverley and turned to Loppington where some traffic lights have appeared, turned left at the crossroads to Nonely avoiding the other lane which would be flooded and turned to Brandwood, Myddle and out onto the Ellesmere/Shrewsbury road to Burlton where I turned back to Loppington turning the opposite way at the crossroads to Brown Heath, English Frankton and turned down some really filthy lanes to Colemere, round the mere to Lyneal where I took the longer route to Welshampton, Hampton Bank back to Northwood and turn for home. 21.1 miles, 15.7mph average and had to clean the bike when I got home.

Old jon

Guru
Blue sky this morning, gentle breeze by the look of things so it is time to take the geared bike out for a ride.
Down Dewsbury Road, onto Jack Lane and wander through Holbeck to Water Lane, which points reasonably well to one end of Crown Point Road. At the other end is the bridge, so across the river and head for Regent Street. Which has the name but no other attribute of the more famous street . . .
After a bit, the road is uphill and the clock at Oakwood is passed. And afterwards, Boot Hill. The plan, which was followed, was to ride the A58 to Wetherby. It is a bit direct and usually not too busy on a weekday morning, also I rarely ride it in this direction. Fun to ride through Scarcroft downhill for a change and Collingham seemed an easy ride through as well. Drop to the roundabout outside Wetherby and take the first exit into the town. Across the river, the Wharfe this time, and straight on until the right turn onto the road for York, the B1224. That leaves Wetherby behind, after a steep climb over the bridge across the A1M. Clear road to the roundabout by the racecourse and stay on the same road for a mile and a bit to another right turn. This time leading to Walton.

A quick glance at the map and Walton looks big. But it is right next door to a prison, which is the big bit on the map. Thorp Arch next and then the bridge over the Wharfe and that very sharp climb to Boston Spa’s Main Street. This street always seems busy, it’s the A659 again, turn left onto it and after not very far turn right onto the Clifford road. Turn right at the bottom of the village, the road is steeper the further you ride. Once past the former convent and adjacent church the road levels, and even drops a bit on the way to Bramham. Where you have to turn left or right. This was once a crossroads, the Thorner road was straight on and there is still some of it there to confuse the unwary. Me, about four years ago, rode straight across to find a dead end confronting me a few yards along . . .
Not this time though. Ride around and cross the A1M again and head to Thorner. Proper road, up and down by various amounts and a lot easier today with the lack of a headwind. Leaving the village I chose Sandhills. It was good to see the old red postbox at the end of the climbing. Onto Skeltons Lane, same gear as usual but spinning a bit faster for some reason. Good though, reached the left onto the Wetherby Road quickly, kept up the pace and was well happy descending the next hill. Only a few miles now, the River Aire has to be crossed ‘cos I live south of it. The end of my street is a good sight, especially after thirty five dry miles. Grin time.

And I thought the ride was sort of circular . . .

30092019.jpg

As long as it blew the cobwebs away after doing your course, that’s what counts!

Cobwebs blown away, also spiders, small rodents and any fittings that were not nailed down.

Had an amazing weekend of cycling up in Yorkshire with @13 rider, @Supersuperleeds and @tallliman to watch the UCI world Champs.

Met up at 8am Friday morning and set off for the long slog up to the outskirts of York, which was to be our weekend home. The best way to describe this ride in a nutshell was Wet, Dry, Wet, Dry, and Bloody Soaked! A puncture at Nottingham was the only real incident we had. 85 miles in we met @tallliman at Doncaster station who was unable to complete the entire distance due to injury. As we got into the flats north of here for the last 40 miles the rain really came down but It was only our clothing that was dampened and not our spirits!:laugh:

Met up with the support car driver (13 rider’s sister) on arrival and there was a homemade chilli waiting once settled into the digs. A great end to a ride in tough conditions, 129 miles to the good.

Saturday we ventured out to watch the ladies race at both Menwith Hill and then into Harrogate to the finish line. The route for the first ten miles was flat and very wet again, however once we got as far as Wetherby the rain had stopped although the trail we followed at this point was very muddy and 13 rider and I looked like we’d been mountain biking, which put me in a bit of a foul mood! Once at the top of a cold Menwith Hill and the riders passed we made our way to a cafe for a bit of light refreshment before descending (and ascending a bit!) into Harrogate to soak in the lively atmosphere. Sensing the carnage after the finish we left a little early, confident that the race was wrapped up anyway. Avoiding that same horrid trail we got filthy on on the way back, we found some flattish roads back to the digs, though not before a killer climb in Knaresborough that I completely underestimated and consequently blew up on!!
Got back to the digs having done 65 miles, and set off to the local pub for post ride nutrition!

Sunday’s initial plan to return to Harrogate for the Men’s race didn’t quite come to fruition- the forecast was just atrocious and so we made the smart decision not to get wet a third time and watched it from the digs, though we did get out for a cheeky 16 mile loop early doors before the rain hit, which it did soon after! After a long lazy day in front of the telly guzzling snacks, we treated ourselves to Fish n Chips and that was pretty much all she wrote for that day!

This morning we set off at 7am to head towards Lincoln and the train home along a largely pan flat route. Tallliman’s injury symptoms were such that he couldn’t continue the entire journey and so we said goodbye to him at Howden station before pressing on to Lincoln via the picturesque Humber Bridge. Having made good time getting here (roughly halfway) we had an hour’s stop, refuelled then upped the pace a little as we shot through the Lincolnshire countryside to make the afternoon train. Only one climb of note at scampton just outside Lincoln, quite a punchy number it was too! Before long though we were at Lincoln station and had a coffee as we waited for the train home. 83 miles in the bag by this stage.

The first to get off the train, I said good bye to supersuperleeds and 13 rider before embarking on the final 15 miles home. Conscious of the forthcoming forecasted rain, I didn’t hang about and made it to within a mile from home before it started to make its presence felt......

An awesome weekend’s riding, with awesome company, 309.29 miles completed across the four days in sometimes awful conditions but I wouldn’t change it for the world!

Some pics to finish...

Jenkins

Legendary Member
One last afternoon ride out before going back to work on Wednesday and 10 straight days of commuting. Just a little ride around in a compact area, mostly on the lanes in the area between the rivers Orwell & Deben - all roads I use on a regular basis, just not on the same ride and strung together in an attempt not to use the same piece of road twice. In the end I only crossed my tracks once (at St. Augustine's roundabout) and the last 3 miles home were the same as the first 3 miles out.

It was a bit grey & cool, but thankfully the roads weren't in too bad a state as we've not had the really bad conditions seen elsewhere in the country and one bonus of taking things a bit slower today was spotting this in a field just outside Bucklesham...

https://www.strava.com/activities/2752000334

pjd57

Veteran
My ride today was supposed to be a pleasant run along the cycle path from Paisley down to the Ayrshire coast.
I didn't even get to Paisley.
7 miles in , on a bright clear day a driver decided to take a right turn into my front wheel. Slow motion stuff. I came off slowly , soft landing but my front wheel was mangled.
Driver was very apologetic, didn't see you etc and offered to pay for any damage.

I turned back to the city centre walking and dragging my bike.
Cycle Republic in Glasgow were great. Found a better quality wheel, not new but as good as, supplied, fitted and bike checked all for £30.

I went for breakfast in the pub while I was waiting, then was able to cycle home.
Had hoped to do 60+ miles, but settled for 12.
Bikes fixed and I have a tiny graze on my knee.

My ride today was supposed to be a pleasant run along the cycle path from Paisley down to the Ayrshire coast.
7 miles in , on a bright clear day a driver decided to take a right turn into my front wheel. Slow motion stuff. I came off slowly , soft landing but my front wheel was mangled.
Driver was very apologetic, didn't see you etc and offered to pay for any damage.

Cycle Republic in Glasgow were great. Found a better quality wheel, not new but as good as, supplied, fitted and bike checked all for £30.

I went for breakfast in the pub while I was waiting, then was able to cycle home.
Sorry to hear you didn’t get the miles in you wanted but glad you’re ok.

Ouch. I'm glad to hear you are okay.

Top Bottom