The Imperial Century A Month Challenge Chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
August's qualifying imperial Century ride done in the company of @rb58 . A recce for this coming Friday's FNR to Whitstable.
Very warm and muggy out there today with very little wind and not too sunny. Made for near perfect cycling conditions.
117 miles C# 17 for the year, #266 over all. Month 105 in a row and a few Eddingtons to boot.

040819.jpg

ENGLLISH......
AllDayEngllish.jpg

Refuelling with a view
brekkie.jpg

Last edited:

rb58

Enigma
August done today in the company of @ianrauk, even if I did have to leave him part way back as I was so slow, and getting slower. Doubled as a recce for next weekend's FNRttC Whitstable edition. I felt rough on the way back. Really rough. Thought I was going to puke. Indeed, I had to stop at McDonalds in Sittingbourne to 'make a deposit'. Legs were empty too. Not sure what the cause was, but I suspect dehydration and the Full English. Anyway, it's in the bag

Aravis

Putrid Donut
@Racing roadkill I didn't understand any of that, but it sounds like you had fun.
The follow-up post ^ clarifies everything! :wacko:

August is done for me as well, in the shape of the Barnt Green Bash 100km Audax plus ECE. I'd completely forgotten it was Ride London day; the outpouring of the "encourage a cyclist" ethos promoted by that event resulting in two separate people shouting well-meaning but entirely inappropriate advice from the roadside. Even Strava's "servers under abnormal pressure" message yesterday evening went some way over my head.

The year-long battle with fitness and advancing age continues. This felt like the hardest ride ever. I think I'm beginning to see how this will all end; the engine grow weaker, and even at the end of the longest days the legs don't feel as though they've done very much.

But this morning I'm already looking forward to the next. :banghead:

Fiona R

Formerly known as Cranky Knee Girl
It seems a few of us have got in early this month. great conditions on Saturday, not too hot, not too cold, a touch of precipitation and little wind. After leaving July's so late due to known circumstances, I got in with the new Rollin' and Tumblin' 200km Audax from Alveston just north of Bristol. So wanted to do it as I have not done The Tumble before nor been to Talybont. Tumble was at 50km so perfect for being properly warmed up. Glad to get up that in one go, and made sure I went well past the summit before returning for a picture. The ride past the reservoirs to Talybont was idyllic and quite punchy hill wise. Then the 120-170km was pretty tough going, relentless ups and downs, but far more than rolling, had to get the climbing legs out again. got as bit short on food. Sushi in Monmouth got me back via Tintern, and back over the bridge. Highly recommended, think many will be doing it next year. Got my AUK Silver Grimpeur badge too! Such a relief to still be in the game.

13 rider

Guru
It seems a few of us have got in early this month. great conditions on Saturday, not too hot, not too cold, a touch of precipitation and little wind. After leaving July's so late due to known circumstances, I got in with the new Rollin' and Tumblin' 200km Audax from Alveston just north of Bristol. So wanted to do it as I have not done The Tumble before nor been to Talybont. Tumble was at 50km so perfect for being properly warmed up. Glad to get up that in one go, and made sure I went well past the summit before returning for a picture. The ride past the reservoirs to Talybont was idyllic and quite punchy hill wise. Then the 120-170km was pretty tough going, relentless ups and downs, but far more than rolling, had to get the climbing legs out again. got as bit short on food. Sushi in Monmouth got me back via Tintern, and back over the bridge. Highly recommended, think many will be doing it next year. Got my AUK Silver Grimpeur badge too! Such a relief to still be in the game.
Did the Tumble in June on a sportive a tough climb but I really enjoyed it . The descent was a bit :eek: we had a massive crosswind and I was riding deep section wheels which made it interesting

Fiona R

Formerly known as Cranky Knee Girl
Did the Tumble in June on a sportive a tough climb but I really enjoyed it . The descent was a bit :eek: we had a massive crosswind and I was riding deep section wheels which made it interesting
Very lucky as the weather so ideal, something I am not used to. I normally get weather like you had!

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Got my qualifier done yesterday. A repeat of one of my favourite routes to Lake Vyrnwy and back, in nice sunshine and with a wind that wasn't too strong on the outward leg but gave a good boost on the way home. Really enjoyed that one.^_^

The ride write up is here for those who are interested: https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/your-ride-today.173254/post-5708316

Broadside

Guru
I’ve been away for the start of Aug so haven’t done my 100 miler yet this month. It’s a busy family calendar for the rest of Aug so it is looking tight for me to get the ride in :-( at this rate it may well have to wait until the last day of the month!

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Got mine done today :smile: Doing 81 miles yesterday wasn't ideal preparation but it all worked out in the end :blush:
16 miles ride into Hull station this morning, 2 hr train ride to Ilkley, then a ride home from Ilkley to home, via Harrogate, Boroughbridge, York, 108 miles, home for about 20 mins & then out with Mrs SD for a local club ride, another 26 miles. Nice 150 mile day :okay:

Broadside

Guru
Did mine today, very pleased to have done it before the last day of the month. Got the fuelling totally wrong, out in to a headwind for the first 50 miles and rinsed myself out of energy, not eating until 40 miles in. I paid for that big time around 70 miles and spent about 90 minutes sorting it out, a bacon bap, double espressos fixed most of it!. Eventually got back to an even keel at 85 miles and finished feeling tired but pretty good. This was a solo ride for me which are always a bit harder than doing it with someone else, but managed to get round ok in the end.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Got the fuelling totally wrong,

This was a solo ride for me which are always a bit harder than doing it with someone else,

I got mine a little wrong the other day too, was rather hungry after only 30 miles & couldn't understand at first, but I'd forgotten about my 16 mile ride to the station earlier, so I'd actually done closer to 50 miles :blush:

Sometimes I prefer my 100 mile rides to be solo, as you can set an your own/easier pace & do your own thing, but then I think I prefer solo riding to group riding in general :okay:

Top Bottom