Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
I tried to write up yesterday's ride on the day for once, but was falling asleep on the keyboard.

I hadn't headed westwards much this year, and as were now in late summer, Hay-on-Wye with a return through Herefordshire's Golden Valley looked a good idea. The outward ride took me through the centre of Hereford, approaching across Mordiford Bridge over the river Lugg. Before that there's another Golden Valley, near Newent. This one, I think, is named on account of a seasonal display of yellow flowers rather than golden fields of wheat or a pun on the name of a river. Who knows?

Nowadays I have a stress-free route through Hereford, no jousting with traffic, but soon after leaving the city I started to seen signs indicating a road closure at Dorestone [sic] which meant riding the best part of the Golden Valley was in doubt. Never mind, I carried on as intended along the other B-road heading for Hay through the drumlins near Moccas Park. This road was designated as the diversion, not that you'd know it from the very sparse traffic. I crossed the river Wye at Bredwardine and at Whitney. At the latter there were cars getting in a right pickle with the traffic lights and the automatic toll barrier, something which didn't inconvenience me in the slightest! ^_^

After Hay I began to pick up a following wind and progressed, slightly anxiously, towards the threatened closure. There was a gentleman stationed to prevent cyclists trying to get through, but there's a little road on the other side of the river by-passing the obstruction and rejoining the main road at Peterchurch. On this bit I joined up with an 82-year-old called Stan who was riding an e-bike. He'd been a 100-mile and 12 hour time-triallist in his day. Haven't they all? He also spoke disconcertingly about what he used to do when he was young like me. After we parted at Peterchurch he pointed his machine at one of the steepest hills in the area. A nice encounter.

The bit of road I had to miss probably has the best views of the valley, which is a shame. But I have a couple of pictures to capture the essence:

Golden1.JPG

Golden2.JPG

The return journey was pretty uneventful. The natural route involves a few miles on the main A49 to Ross, which with the wind largely behind was mercifully quick. It amazes me that stretches like that used to be my roads of choice.

This was a day that seemed to start in autumn and finish in summer. The final distance was 112.3 miles, at a pace which allowed plenty of time to enjoy the views.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
August hasn't been a brilliant month for weather so far so I hadn't got my imperial century challenge ride in yet. Yesterday looked reasonably good though so I got ready for an early start and aimed for Lake Vyrnwy using the Raleigh.

I was on the road by 7am and headed round the edge of Shrewsbury to Montford Bridge, Shrawardine, Pentre, The Royal Hill, Crosslanes, Measbrook, Waen Wen and paused for my first stop of the day in my usual spot at Llynclys. I got on fairly well for this first bit and there weren't any incidents worth of note. The forecast was for a westerly wind all day but for the first couple of hours it was actually more south or south-westerly which suited me just fine.

Starting off again, the next stage is up the Tanat Valley. I needed to cross the notorious Llynclys crossroads which was busy so took a little while to get a gap. Fortunately a kind motorist on the main road slowed and waved some of the traffic across otherwise I'd have been there even longer.

I had a bit of a moment at the Llansantffraid turning when a driver waiting to turn right failed to see me and started pulling out into my path. The brakes work well on the Raleigh.:okay: That was followed less than half a mile later by someone overtaking me into the face of oncoming traffic.:ohmy: Fortunately the rest of the trip up the valley was better and I just trundled along against what was now a headwind.

After the turning near Llanrhaeadr the road has been surface dressed since I was last here but is a rare example of it being done well as I didn't find many lumps hidden by the new surfacing.

After Pedair Fordd there was a welly in the road - looked fairly new and like it was an expensive one. I suspect there is going to be a very annoyed farmer around somewhere.

At Pen-Y-Bont-Fawr the climb up through Hirnant begins. Last time I was here I found that I struggled for energy up this climb, but not so today. I wasn't quick but it never felt too much of an effort and the descent the other side was great with the road being quiet so I could take a line to avoid the worst of the bad surface.

I had another pause for a bite to eat upon reaching the dam then set out for my first lap of the lake. With legs tired after the climb over the hills I wasn't expecting too much but the speed wound up to around 16mph which stayed a comfortable cruising speed pretty much all the way round.

Back at the dam I headed for the Old Barn Cafe only to be reminded that it doesn't open on a Tuesday so had to settle for Artisans instead (There is nothing wrong with Artisans other than it being the first place visitors see on arrival, so it tends to be very busy). As I was locking the bike up a chap with an electric bike asked whether I was just starting or just finishing. He looked crestfallen when I said where I had come from and that I was at the halfway point.:shy:

Having had my coffee it was time for the second lap of the lake. I took this one a bit more gently to start with (cafe legs) and paused a few times for photos. I came across a couple of ladies having trouble with a slipping saddle but they appeared to have sorted it by the time I arrived. There were a few more cyclists about by now - I did a couple of overtakes but the majority seemed to be going in the other direction. There were more motorcyclists about as well so having my lights on for where it's dark under the trees seemed a good idea.

Once at the end of the lake I picked up the tailwind I'd been hoping for all ride so far and the speed crept up until I was cruising along at a comfortable 18-20 mph .:hyper: Really enjoyed that!

After another stop for my packed lunch I dropped away from the lake down towards Llanwddyn, heading for the second climb over the hills. Before reaching the village, something large and buzzy got into my helmet. Pulling over to get rid of it I coincidentally stopped right next to a prototype of the next generation Land Rover Defender.

Once again, the climb into the hills was easier than last time I was here and I took the alternative way back past Cwm Fedw. Once the climb after Pen-Y-Bont-Fawr was out of the way the tailwind swept me back down the Tanat Valley at a very pleasing rate of knots. The traffic could have behaved a bit better but it didn't spoil the enjoyment. I had a pause at Llynclys again then headed through The Wood, Argoed, Kinnerley, Pentre, Great Ness and back to Montford Bridge for the last few miles to home. The traffic along here was less well behaved and I had three overtakes that were too close to pinch points for my liking so when I started to flag a bit along Roman Road it wasn't too hard a decision to head for the cycle path instead.

105.2 miles for the day at 14.3 mph average with a 34.4 mph maximum. I really enjoyed that one - the bike just felt right the whole way round.

P8130003.JPG

A bit too early in the day for a pub stop. The Black Horse at Maesbrook.

P8130005.JPG

A pause at Pedair Fordd.

P8130008.JPG

The speed patrol is out at Pen-Y-Bont-Fawr. :whistle:

P8130010.JPG

On my way up Cwm Hirnant.

P8130011.JPG

Arrival at Llyn Efyrnwy.

P8130012.JPG

At the cafe stop.

P8130020.JPG

About halfway round the second lap of the lake.

P8130022.JPG

Sparkling water as I get near to the dam again.

P8130026.JPG

Land Rover prototype on test. They are probably en route to go up and down Bwlch Y Groes a few times.

P8130028.JPG

Heading back over the hills again on my way home.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
estate.

d12bc388-f321-4727-9faa-c23979641ec5-jpeg.jpg

Not sure if this a church, but it’s an interesting looking building.

cd6d9361-92a2-4a1c-b268-ff955a8c223d-jpeg.jpg

Abingdon town hall.

The first one is bugging me. It's a fairly typical design for a 19th century cemetery chapel, but with some unusual characteristics that make it very distinctive - and very familiar. Is it in Abingdon or just nearby?

And the second is the County Hall. The Town Hall is an ugly 60s building tucked away down a side street.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
The first one is bugging me. It's a fairly typical design for a 19th century cemetery chapel, but with some unusual characteristics that make it very distinctive - and very familiar. Is it in Abingdon or just nearby?

And the second is the County Hall. The Town Hall is an ugly 60s building tucked away down a side street.

It's not in the town centre, its in the cemetery off of Spring Road.

Reactions: srw

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
It's not in the town centre, its in the cemetery off of Spring Road.
Closer to the town centre than where I grew up!

pjd57

Veteran
strava3661501104062817253.jpg
a good morning out.
Across Glasgow through Barrhead , couple of back roads then on to the A77 and headed for Whitelees wind farm.
Brilliant road along side it. Nice wide cycle lanes either side with a single lane in the centre for cars.
Back into the city via Eaglesham , Newton Mearns and Clarkson.
Home for lunch.

My first trip up to the wind farm and will definitely go back.

Mike_P

Guru
A nip round the Norwood loop clockwise on the Defy yesterday evening, varied by avoiding the UCI climb of Cornwall Road and instead up Ripon Road on the A61, itself partly on the circuit and complete with a collapsing piece of road that of course will be fixed come the end of September :unsure: Fair number of cyclists about including a couple on tandem but it did quickly turn a bit :cold: especially when doing 31mph downhill. Video decided not to record for some reason so not sure but I'm pretty certain the same cyclist overtook me twice, that being I took a shorter route after he passed me first time. Along Penny Pot back onto a section of the circuit where the poorly patched road also surely will have something done to it :unsure: If not it will come as a surprise to the riders who went along there on TdY when it nice and smooth. 17.08 miles 1008ft climbed Avg 13.4 mph.

Old jon

Guru
Oh dear! Wet and rather breezy was the view out of the window. Warm enough though, as I found out when I took the bike out of the shed. Seems like I had already made up my mind anyway!

The intention was a ride in the less hilly bits of country around here on the fixed. So a wander around Holbeck, checking on the progress of the demolition there, and out through Hunslet. At ten in the morning this is quiet enough, until the road starts rising and my lungs gasp louder. The volume lowers as John o’ Gaunts is approached and stays that way through Woodlesford and across both canal and river on the way to Swillington. Out of there, heading for the ( Old George? ) roundabout at Garforth, where I took the third exit ‘cos I really really wanted to ride up Garforth Cliff. Confession, after the top that long wind assisted ride through Peckfield Bar to the Micklefield roundabout was what I enjoyed most. There seem to be a lot of ‘For Sale’ signs in Micklefield just lately. Wonder if they intend moving into the new houses being built there. Not likely. Reach the B 1217 and turn right to pass Lotherton Gates, turn left there for Aberford. This bit of road is exposed, and the wind made the most of it. Through Aberford and exit along another windy road, Cattle Lane.

As I dropped down to the bridge over Cock Beck I noticed the name on the gates of the house there. Ass Bridge Lodge. Never knew that, just checked on Google Earth because I must have seen that before, but cannot remember. I also cannot remember how many hundreds of times I have crossed that bridge. Sherburn was a once or twice a week at least visit in my motorcycling days, close to thirty years of that. How could I be so unaware of a house name? Never mind. The road climbs after the bridge, and so did I and my bike. Reach the maypole at Barwick, easier breathing for a while until the last bit out of the village. Straight on to Scholes, pass the school and cars parked both sides of the road are only leaving enough room for one vehicle in one direction at a time. There were impatient drivers, I just rode my bike. Smiling.

The last few miles now, reach the A 64 after leaving Scholes and turn left. Shortly after that turn right and start the three lane approach to the A 58. Flat and open land around here for the most part. The wind was doing well. Cross the Ring Road, that roundabout is usually kind, and the last downhill of the ride was very swift, for the fixed. The last lump, up to the spare park gates and then the relax past the Oakwood Clock and down Roundhay Road to almost the town centre. Cross the river Aire again and pedal the last couple of miles home. Big grin, thirty one miles and, oh, not a drop of rain all ride.

Maps, these days, are wonderful.

15082019.jpg

jongooligan

Legendary Member
The weather presented us with a brief window between anti cyclones today so me & Mrs. jg took ourselves off to Sedgefield for a tandem ride.
We set off in good fettle at high speed throught the lanes to Bishopton, Long Newton and Yarm. We were flying with a blustery tailwind chasing us all the way. We knew we'd have to pay for it later but, what the heck, enjoy it while you can.

At Yarm the drag up The Spital brought us to HMP Kirklevington and the Grange cafe which is run by the inmates. A chilli chicken sandwich for me and quiche for Mrs jg were very enjoyable and about half the price we'd have paid for them down in Yarm. The service in there is very good too as there are about ten inmates doing the job of three people. Refreshed, although we barely needed it, we resumed our ride.

The turn onto Long Lane near Crathorne gave us a taste of what was to come. That tailwind was now a bullying side wind snatching at the front wheel at every gap in the hedgerow. The road surface is badly cratered too so progress became slow. At Appleton Wiske we turned straight into the wind and the little rise after the village saw us grovelling in the granny ring.

There was some relief after Hornby as we were now travelling along very narrow lanes with high hedges and were gradually descending towards the River Tees. Just before the bridge there's a straight half mile through a wonderful avenue of trees that could be anywhere in France. It's simply beautiful.

TeesTandem.jpg

Tandem at Girsby

Once over the bridge we really started to pay the price of our fast start to the ride. There's a bit of a rise that isn't usually significant but today it was hurting and it was taking an age to get over. The worst part is that it's followed by a sharp descent into Neasham where you have to turn right onto Neasham Bank to regain all the height you've just lost. At the top we were spent and had to take a rest at the bus stop garden (wish I'd got a pic) in Middleton St. George.

From there it was roughly ten miles back to the car. Over the double hump at Sadberge, up the steepening climb to Great Stainton and up the drag past the racecourse. These piddling ascents, normally taken in the big ring took such a toll on our legs that we were exhausted when we rolled to a halt at the teashop in Sedgefield.

A gallon of tea between us, cherry bakewell scone for me and key lime pie for Mrs.jg restored us enough for the half mile, downhill, tailwind assisted return to the car. Bliss.

Something's not right though. I hurt out of all proportion to the distance and severity of the ride. I've got saddle sores. My neck hurts. I've got pins and needles in my hands. My wrists are aching. I think I haven't recovered from the 600k I did at the beginning of the month. Thinking more and more about getting a recumbent.

44 miles, 1500 ft of climbing.

Top Bottom