Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Inspired by this thread I decided to visit the place this afternoon.

I hate riding in the wind, and there was a lot of it today, all over the feckin place but never behind me.

Anyway I rode to Henley-on-Thames via Wallingford where there were a load of loons dressed up as Tina Turner, Frankie goes to Hollywood and Peppa Pig all going to the Rewind festival.

Onwards to Warren Row which is up a bit of a lump. For some reason was feeling a bit tired, it was only 24 miles, the quads were aching so I was pleased to get to Velolife and have a cake and a cuppa. I should had a sandwich too.

After about 30 minutes, I left to come home, over Henley-on-Thames bridge past George Harrison’s gaf then through Peppard Common, Woodcote and back to Wallingford, my legs were hurting more now, the wind was giving me the right hump and I was craving ice cream.

At Cholsey I bought a Magnum and had a rest, with only 6 miles to go I felt every mile of it, the pace slowed right down, I finally got home feeling like I never want to see a bike again. I don’t know what was the matter with me today.

Anyway a little under 51 miles.

Velolife is great by the way, go there if you can.

7CEB9069-D364-4060-A6F4-E7851E7806B9.jpeg

Velolife Cafe

D35697A2-BDCD-4B20-9F24-0F18745C4FC4.jpeg
00895AF0-8789-4DC4-AFD5-73EE731F33FE.jpeg

The front of Velolife
9CD0092A-AD38-4E1F-BCC7-3D592BAF66A1.jpeg

Memorial at Rotherfield Greys

5CFF55FC-F964-4C70-8882-30BD748FAC6C.jpeg

This will be last photo of the Didcot Cooling Towers, they’re being demolished tomorrow.
F3414AFF-1936-482E-8CAF-44947E5F8A8D.jpeg

Memorial commemorating King George

7E59E3D3-9D61-4E0A-8567-7EBDECF68894.jpeg

Magnum Force.
C0FF3AE2-EAC8-442D-AAB5-16259536B953.jpeg

Another cooling towers pic.
View attachment 480493

72652206-49D4-4920-A2EF-75F218E29CF4.jpeg

The route.

13 rider

Guru
Inspired by this thread I decided to visit the place this afternoon.

I hate riding in the wind, and there was a lot of it today, all over the feckin place but never behind me.

Anyway I rode to Henley-on-Thames via Wallingford where there were a load of loons dressed up as Tina Turner, Frankie goes to Hollywood and Peppa Pig all going to the Rewind festival.

Onwards to Warren Row which is up a bit of a lump. For some reason was feeling a bit tired, it was only 24 miles, the quads were aching so I was pleased to get to Velolife and have a cake and a cuppa. I should had a sandwich too.

After about 30 minutes, I left to come home, over Henley-on-Thames bridge past George Harrison’s gaf then through Peppard Common, Woodcote and back to Wallingford, my legs were hurting more now, the wind was giving me the right hump and I was craving ice cream.

At Cholsey I bought a Magnum and had a rest, with only 6 miles to go I felt every mile of it, the pace slowed right down, I finally got home feeling like I never want to see a bike again. I don’t know what was the matter with me today.

Anyway a little under 51 miles.

Velolife is great by the way, go there if you can.

View attachment 480485

Velolife Cafe

View attachment 480486 View attachment 480487

The front of Velolife
View attachment 480488

Memorial at Rotherfield Greys

View attachment 480489

This will be last photo of the Didcot Cooling Towers, they’re being demolished tomorrow.
View attachment 480490
Memorial commemorating King George

View attachment 480491

Magnum Force.
View attachment 480492
Another cooling towers pic.
View attachment 480493

View attachment 480494

The route.
Glad see you went solo and not on an organized ride :okay:

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Yesterday's ride - my first in nearly a month due to real life making a very unwelcome intrusion recently.

I didn't want to go too far, needing to be able to get back home within half an hour if called, but also very aware that this might be my only chance to get this month's half century ride in.

So, on the Giant due to overnight rain and the chance of more showers, up Coal Road, Red Hall Lane and the A58. Onto Whin Moor Lane for the run to Shadwell and down the hill through the village, getting stopped by the bin men blocking the street.
Over the A58 and onto Carr Lane to Thorner and out up Milner Lane.

At Holme Farm Lane I headed for Rigton Green and did a series of loops around Compton Lane Bramham Lane and Jewitt Lane, to get the miles in without getting too far from home.

I crossed paths @Old jon on one loop by Rigton Green, but being in a world of my own didn't realise in time - just before the video in his post above. Sorry Jon!

Then I with enough miles in the bag it was back home.

32.01 miles (51.5151km) so that's the half century ride done as well.
IMG_20190817_121008792_BURST000_COVER.jpg
IMG_20190817_121545527-EFFECTS.jpg
IMG_20190817_121158880_BURST000_COVER.jpg

Screenshot_20190818-091411~2.png

geocycle

Legendary Member
Exceedingly poor timing, on my behalf. Was beautiful and sunny first thing. So off I went. Started raining. Started getting heavier. Starting lashing it down. Got soaked. Got home. Now the sun's come out.

Got to love the summer.

Rubbish isn’t it? I’ve had a few days where I could get out but the weathers been dreadful. Last few days have been far too windy to be pleasurable.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Today’s weather is best described as schizophrenic. It was nice with sunny spells, and as soon as I opened the garage door it pissed down. I nearly didn’t go out but I had promised to meet the Fragrant MrsP for breakfast in Wallingford again, so off I went and got soaked, rain pooled up in the shoes, lashed against my glasses, and power showered me with soaking spray from the wheels, I haven’t been so wet on a bike since the biblical weather of the 2014 RLS 100.

When I got to the Old Post Office I was ready for a full English and hot coffee.

The Fragrant MrsP turned up a few minutes later also wet through.

By the time we were finished the sun had come out and the roads were steaming and slowly drying out and we rode home in the warm sunshine. Yesterday’s winds were mostly gone.

As I type it’s pissing down again.

Just a drip over 17 miles today.
90C14D98-6809-4769-B5B0-519EAA8EF3B3.jpeg

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
F8545CB6-1DC4-4DC2-BF55-BD8F58001817.jpeg
550981C1-EC70-4B5D-A76F-BF422D0EB11E.jpeg
BCD5438C-CB82-40D6-B692-52AD0EDE3EA7.jpeg
0C04334C-769F-4E6F-88BA-6FD380825456.jpeg
4A01006C-7A34-4EE1-A14C-6DEA64643BC0.jpeg

Out on the Spesh Crux at 10.30am to meet up with friends for a coffee ride to Naburn Marina. Lovely day but quite a headwind for the last 10 miles.
28.5 miles with an average of 14.6 mph.

Katherine

Guru
First group ride for a month and I really noticed the difference, not being able to stop and start whenever I wanted but I was glad that it made me keep going when I was tired.
Lovely sunshine just a bit too windy at times.
We went out via Lymm today, to the Grappenhall Walled Garden,
which was a bit far for an A ride really but I loved it when we met up with the B group who'd done a few extra loops.
48 miles and too tired to do any more!

13 rider

Guru
Had a family lunch planned for 1300 so out the door at 7.45 for some early miles . Today I planned headwind out and tailwind back . Headed out on my normal route to Market Bosworth to came across a road closed sign at the level crossing at Desford . A polite request to the workmen saw me walking through :okay:. Out to Bosworth were I did a normal route in reverse today so saw me take the rolling roads towards Snarestone . Spotted a rider coming towards me and recognised him as a mate who lives 3 miles away from me, quick :hello: as we past . I think that's the 3rd time we've pasted on a ride always travelling in different directions :scratch:. Though Snarestone and Appleby Magna and onto the big climb of the day upto the radio mast which is rewarded with a rapid descent into Austrey .Then the superbly surfaced road to Warton ( don't you just love smooth tarmac ) . Need a few extra miles so headed towards Stoke Golding to come across another road closed sign :banghead:. Took a chance and a rider coming the other said I could get through :smile: . Back to Market Bosworth then took the hilly way home for a change . The tailwind making the hills slightly easier . Home in plenty of time for a shower before lunch. 53.2 miles in the bag 2400ftof upness ,less blustery than yesterday and a lovely temperature for cycling

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Here is yesterday’s little adventure. A 207km DIY Audax following much of the Jack and Grace Cotton Memorial which runs as a permanent event earlier in the year.

I recently listened to a podcast where a fellow introvert was challenged into doing Stand Up Comedy. I’m not that robust, but I have started making an attempt at adding some narrative to my videos. Do enjoy (or not) :whistle:

View: https://youtu.be/O7K1JtSuB48

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Same issue here as Northern Dave with life intruding. So my first ride for almost a month, too.

Exceedingly poor timing, on my behalf. Was beautiful and sunny first thing. So off I went. Started raining. Started getting heavier. Starting lashing it down. Got soaked. Got home. Now the sun's come out.

Got to love the summer.
Same for me. First ride for a fortnight. About a mile into the club ride and it starts pouring down .... and a mate punctures! We couldn't find anything sharp in the tyre, or any other obvious reason for it. Eventually we moved off ... by now so wet it no longer mattered. I was only ever going to have time for half of the ride today, so when the same guy punctured again half way up Nut Hill, I left it to someone else to help that time, and I carried on my own way.

From the top of Nut Hill, (it comes out onto the main road right by the little lane up Cooper's Hill, Gloucester's famous cheese rolling venue), I dropped down Fidler's Hill into Brockworth, went all the way round the roundabout, and climbed back up Fidler's Hill passing my mates coming the other way considerably faster. From there I carried on all the way past Prinknash Abbey and the Royal William at Cranham and into Painswick. Two big hills done, I dropped down to Pitchcombe to start the third and last climb, up the back of Horsepools Hill to Edge. A great 30+mph descent down to Brookthorpe on nice new tarmac followed that, before taking a slightly longer way home past the hippyfest (called the "Soul Circus" .... I'll say no more) in a field between Hardwicke and Elmore. A decent 28 miler despite the early rain. It was quite sunny by the end, and I got home early enough to take the missus out for Sunday lunch as promised.

All's well that ends well. Cheers, Donger.

Top Bottom