Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Stopped at Ramblers Retreat in Alton and Ashbourne.
Garmin 800 died after 80 ish miles so im glad i took the old 500 .
Fell off in ashbourne here as i cramped up and when i restated icouldnt clip in in time
<iframe src="https://www.google.com/maps/embed?p...31047945920507!3f180!4f0!5f0.7820865974627469" width="400" height="300" frameborder="0" style="border:0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Clipboard01.jpg

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Good ride today in Gerona.The guy we are renting an apartment from is a keen cyclist. He offered to lead a ride for my other half and myself. He bought along his wife and nephew. Had a nice coffee stop halfway. Then a beer at the end
Check out my activity on Strava: https://strava.app.link/euYnbUAcgZ

Looking forward to tomorrow's ride. The shop we hired the bikes from has an organised ride going out in the morning.

C R

Guru
First proper ride since mid July, and it felt good. I've been thinking of doing a bit more climbing, so destination was to be Malvern.

Forecast was mild, but with risk of showers, and a light breeze, so shorts and short sleeve jersey, hoping to miss the showers, or that at least they would be light.

Out around twenty to seven, via Diglis, over the pedestrian bridge to Lower Wick, and head for Callow end via Powick, turning right into Jennet Tree Lane for Newland.

It had been threatening rain since I left home, and by now it was raining, but not too hard, and it wasn't cold, so I wasn't too bothered by it. At the end of Jennet Tree Lane was a left, and then a right at Sherrards Green for Malvern. This route goes more or less straight up the hill towards the Priory, with the climb starting at the Pickersleigh Rd roundabout. I took it steady, but even so, by the time I got to the Priory my legs needed a rest. I stopped for a drink, and by the time I started again the rain was also starting to subside.

At the top of Church St was a left and then a right for the second half of the climb up to the Wyche. Took it again steady, and this time I made it to the top without stopping. I thought I had been slow, but I made it in about the same time as my fastest.

Past the cutting followed Jubilee Drive to British Camp, and then bombing down the A449 towards Ledbury. Spun out on my highest gear, but still managed a maximum of 33.8 mph, which I think is a record for me, and gave my legs a rest.

Took a rest at the bottom of the hill, and by now the sun was shining, and there was a nice view of the hills.

IMG_20190818_080038981_HDR.jpg

From here headed to Eastnor, so still taking advantage of gravity going downhill, preparing for the short ascent to Holybush. I am managing climbing a bit better, but I am quite slow going up, however, I compensate on the downhill, reaching 30 mph again on the way to the turn for Castlemorton.

From here is a steady ride past Welland and into Upton, for the final push home. Stopped for another rest by Earls Croome church, and then up Kinnersley and Pirton for home.

37.7 miles, at a surprising 14mph, with just over 2000ft of up. Best of all, I still had some energy left, and I could have done a longer distance.

IMG_20190818_200713.jpg

AndreaJ

Veteran
Bright and sunny today here in Shropshire after Fridays rain but very windy and a bit chilly for August, I almost didn't go out because I don't like strong wind. Having convinced myself that it wasn't too windy I set off towards Wolverley, turning to Commonwood, through a big puddle to Ruewood, Nonely where I turned towards Myddle and onto the main road back to Burlton carrying on to Loppington taking the turning to Brown Heath, English Frankton then to Colemere taking the longer route around the mere, back over the canal at Lyneal. I decided to try the lane which was closed last time to see if Shropshire Council had fixed the rough section of road they left after their last attempt , sadly that wasn't the reason for the closure. Headed towards the Ellesmere road turning to Northwood before turning back home. The wind did seem to get stronger while I was out and I did get blown across the road once or twice luckily only on quiet lanes. 21 miles , average 15.2mph, lots of other cyclists out and lots of runners.

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
Out on the club ride today. Had one rider ride into my derailleur (bodged a fix so gears 2-8 worked for the ride, but need to fix it properly tomorrow) and another into my back wheel (the one which had broken spokes earlier this week!) so that’s to be checked too. Not as successful as last week’s ride but, despite the collisions (neither my fault I’ll point out), enjoyable. Saw some familiar faces which was good, but my spirits were low after the collisions as I really don’t want to be paying out for new components. :sad:

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Today's ride should really be classified as a utility ride/shopping trip as it was a run out to Stanway (the other side of Colchester) & back as I'd done a reserve & collect on a cheap Chromebook and had to take my old clunker of a laptop in to get £50 off in part exchange.

I was going to use my Planet X pro carbon but, when I found out how much the backpack with the laptop & lock weighed, I switched to the Spa Elan as it has a more upright riding position and a softer ride with the 32mm tyres despite being at least 4 kg heavier. This proved to be the correct decision as the Spa has full mudguards and I was caught out by a heavy downpour and blustery winds (not on the morning's weather forecasts) as I got to Ardleigh and this lasted for the 20 - 25 minutes to Colchester.

It's not the sort of route I like to do being a straight out and back on almost the same route, whereas I much prefer to do a loop and try not to use the same road twice, but a bit of variety was added by going to the south of the Alton reservoir on the way out and to the north on the way back. Having completed the metric 100 and as I got close to home, I decided to treat myself to the makings of bacon rolls. The ride was therefore extended into Felistowe and back which had the bonus of taking the total to just over 70 miles on the day.

This looking south down the River Orwell. No more photos were taken as everthing went into a waterproof bag a little later with the rain!
River Orwell.JPG
https://www.strava.com/activities/2629862409
Screenshot_2019-08-18 Colchester Currys Capers Ride Strava.png
Screenshot_2019-08-18 Colchester Currys Capers Ride Strava(1).png

*copied from MCAM chatzone thread*

Met up with some Zwift group friends for a real ride around the Cotswolds, several weeks in the planning. Some I already met and knew, some were new faces. One guy came over from Norway to take part which made it all the better.

Arriving in Highworth a little after 0800, it absolutely chucked it down and my heart sank for a fleeting moment! But this rain quickly disappeared and once we’d all met up and done introductions we were on our way.

The beautifully clean bike was caked again within the first 2 miles due to the wet conditions but it didn’t really matter because the ride itself which took us round one of the most beautiful parts of the country took the sting out of it. As you would expect being in the Cotswolds, the scenery was just picture postcard perfect everywhere you looked and once the weather improved to bright sunshine (but windy) this made photos even better!

Had a cake stop at Bourton-on-the-Water which was heaving with tourists to the point where I thought there might have been an event on, but it was sheer weight of visitors!

From there we had a longish slog uphill out of the town but then flattened off significantly and remained so for the rest of the ride. This didn’t necessarily make riding easier as there were quite strong winds to contend with.

Before long we arrived at one of the group’s houses where his wife had laid on some homemade cakes, teas and coffees which were to die for!

It was here where the ride ended for some and so we said our goodbyes and rode the last four miles back to where we were parked.

In summary then it was 63.1 miles to the good in a beautiful setting and with fantastic company.

https://strava.app.link/FyyraF15gZ
7FBA34BE-F1A9-4506-B6E5-35A6C61B2907.jpeg
F0110ED5-DA38-4AAA-B3C5-F0E1988376C3.jpeg
D6556456-3C57-4003-A9FD-0D38022D589C.jpeg
462DF226-41A7-4C88-A807-26634474B8DD.jpeg
8724E961-31CA-4D1E-9DBC-549ED57C173B.jpeg
D5FADD2A-D7FE-457B-A402-55179B495F1A.jpeg
837BE5B4-0D30-4DEE-9B8B-C41AD1A538AF.jpeg
E45AE360-89E1-4AF7-BA4D-F8D477C43F70.jpeg

Dave 123

Legendary Member
A short, hilly 11 mile ride. I followed the sign to Preston..... it was a dead end at the bottom of an 18% hill..... nice!

Then I cycled along a crap filled ditch of a road.

Plenty of other bits to get me out of the saddle. A nice sunny day

https://www.strava.com/activities/2632021620

2F0784E8-1239-4198-8CA2-43EE1A16CF09.jpeg
EE45E915-564B-4DA1-96BD-BDB79895221D.jpeg
9143540A-143F-4593-8054-38BB1AD0A55B.jpeg
49BF3ED3-2A54-42FB-BCF7-3A43A8E4D736.jpeg
56D9C6A7-929F-4F65-AD51-A75A0CAEC553.jpeg
EF43CCC1-5CAB-4AAA-9FE2-EB24BECD87BB.jpeg
13688575-2938-4C7E-95BA-558192A29967.jpeg

Attachments

• CAA02F77-5FE2-4F1D-945B-27D7371C1F8A.jpeg
    CAA02F77-5FE2-4F1D-945B-27D7371C1F8A.jpeg
    170.7 KB · Views: 4
  • 4E01DB5D-98A1-4B24-A04E-6269E1533A8D.jpeg
    4E01DB5D-98A1-4B24-A04E-6269E1533A8D.jpeg
    162.8 KB · Views: 4

Old jon

Guru
Kind weather again this morning, it would be a shame not to take advantage of it. It is the fixed’s turn for a ride today and I have the vague intention of making Otley a part of that ride.

With that intention, ride down Dewsbury Road and bear left onto Jack Lane and into Holbeck. Escape to the towpath at Office Lock. The Canal and River Trust ( CaRT? Really?? ) had a bit of a shelter and a couple of folk ready to deal with the rush of new members they were intending to sign up. Wished them good morning and pedalled along my way. After leaving the canal at Viaduct Road the haul up Cardigan Road was next, then a right and a left is the Otley road, but mayhap called something else here. More up, and I did not feel inclined to add more uphill after crossing the Ring Road at Lawnswood, so carried straight on to the set of lights and the right turn into Adel. Turn left, pass the old church and down the dip at the dam. Then up, and the next left for more up to reach the end of Kings Road. A left turn onto that and twiddle down the hill to Bramhope, loads of fun!

Through the village, in the direction of Otley but when the Dyneley Arms is reached turn right for that descent to Pool. Half a glance behind showed a vehicle that shade of yellow that JCB have made famous all over the world. I wimped out, slowed down, and waved it past. Much rather have one of them where I can see it easily. Take the last left turn in (or rather out of, ) Pool and now the only way is Otley. Gorgeous scenery along here this morning, mostly blue sky makes the hills look friendly, animals artistically arranged around the fields. Picture postcard stuff, but great to be in the middle of. Stop at the maypole, eat and drink and then it is time for the long ride up Leeds Road back to the Dyneley Arms. Where I saw a sign about improvements to that junction. This did not make me happy. Still, had a few words with another rider, while we waited for the lights to change. He kindly let me stay in front until the drop to St Giles’ church, back in Bramhope. He went right, I followed the main road all the way back to Headingley. Turned right there, down into Kirkstall, where I remembered to turn the camera on.

The video starts where the Kirkstall power station once was. The ‘marina’ at the side of the canal was the wharf where coal was delivered, until the place was decommissioned in the middle 70’s. One thing of note, or that has stuck in memory, was the perimeter track around the buildings. Perfect for racing . . .

So, there is still a ride to finish, but not far now. Back to Office Lock, the squiggle to reach Great Wilson Street and along there to Leathley Road. The top of that is Jack Lane’s other half, back to Dewsbury Road and the last stretch to home. Turned into the street where I live, the rain started and stretched my grin further ‘cos it is not going to make me wet. Thirty miles, and a bit. Another good pedal.

And a map,

19082019.jpg

jongooligan

Legendary Member
We're staying in Slingsby this week. It's a great spot for cycling being in the Vale of Pickering (flat), next to the Howardian Hills (beautifully rolling) and within sight of the NY Moors (lung bursting, chain breaking climbs).

Today's ride was an easy breaker inner. Flat lanes to Harome then a devious route to Butterwick and a return along the main Helmsley/Malton road. Largely traffic free and I managed to stay out of the strong wind behind the hedgerows so it was areally enjoyable ride.

20190819_164822[1].jpg

The er..... Grapes at Slingsby

20190819_164638[1].jpg

BSO

22 flat but windy miles

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Mrs 26 wanted to ride to meet some pals. So she turned it into a plan and organised me. All was going well until we were forced to take shelter from a deluge. After that passed through the plan was changed as we were a bit damp and cold. Then she decided that lunch in Colwall would be a good idea. Her meeting was imminent after so I headed off around the north end of the Hills which warmed me up. Now I have a bike (or two) to clean. 43 smiles

Top Bottom