Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
No ride Sunday due to not being able to find my motivation to go out in the wind. I thought that was all the opportunity I'd have until later this week but the gardening I was doing yesterday went quicker than expected and I was free by lunchtime, so I got the knockabout bike out.

I headed over Lyth Hill and towards Plealey and Pontesbuy which was mostly directly into the wind. I had hoped to get a photo of the flag at the crossroads near Annscroft which should have given a nice image illustrating how windy it was but the flag was missing, however the rope and eyelets were still there. Must have been more gusty than I thought.:ohmy:

At Pontesbury I bypassed the centre of the village by going along Bogey Lane and past the school (met a guy who doesn't believe in giving way to cyclists along here.:dry:) then headed up the steady climb to Habberley. No changes of mind about where I was heading this time so I carried on towards Pulverbatch which involves more climbing but I had the wind helping now.

From Pulverbatch I picked up my usual route to Wilderley, Smethcott and Dudgeley before crossing the A49 and heading northwards again. I picked up a cross-tailwind which helped things along quite a bit as these roads are so flat and decided to make the most of this by extending the ride through Acton Burnell.

I had to face the wind again at some point and that was at Cantlop. It didn't seem too bad at first but when the road swung roand directly into it I knew about it.

I took the main road route back and had quite a wait for a gap in the traffic this time.

Just over 31 miles at 12.9 mph average with the wind-assisted second half making the figures look more flattering than they ought to be.

P8190030.JPG

The classic view from the top of Lyth Hill.

P8190032.JPG

P8190034.JPG

A couple of shots between Habberley and Pulverbatch.

P8190035.JPG

En route to Wilderley. The hedge cutting season seems to have started early.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I needed to go to the post office today, and tied it in with seeing a chum for a cuppa. It’s a nice dry day, a bit blowy so I took the Kingpin, such a daft bike but fun. Just under 6.5 miles.

2A2FA490-F38A-46B0-979A-8F40858D1EB7.jpeg
99FD285E-3A3A-48AC-BEE9-74D95F630CB9.jpeg
ACC021E7-D17C-4D86-BFCB-EC698DFB06DA.jpeg
B6D7DAB6-0CD3-457B-8916-594922C4181F.jpeg

Just to the left of the chimney in the background were the Didcot Cooling Towers until last Sunday.

B6974980-4922-4397-9592-CBF0A398808B.jpeg

postman

Legendary Member
According to Strava last ride was July 26th.So today a little ride,guess where to,yes you have guessed Otley.I always do this when i have not been out for a little while.Oh dear flat zippo energy a toil.I hope it is nothing to do with my problem.But it is the same feeling i had years ago,before they found out about the Prostate.I hope it is just a one off.I am hoping to get the hospital results back this week.On a brighter note there is an embroidery shop in Otley,who have been doing me cycle related polo shirts for years.Well today i have ordered my birthday polo shirt.XL white with a little badge on the left side.One will be 70 in Feb.
old-bob-1a.jpg

jongooligan

Legendary Member
Got out early this morning before the wind woke up properly. Out into the lanes in the Vale of Pickering again which were surprisingly busy compared to yesterday. Guess it was all the poor workers on their way to graft.

Lots of signs of autumn this morning. Swallows queuing on the wires ready to go on their holidays, hedgerows loaded with hawthorn and sloe berries, chesnut trees beginning to turn brown and the unwelcome sight of hedge trashings in the road. As @Rickshaw Phil says, they seem to be cutting early.

The route was flat until I got to Amotherby where I crossed the main road to climb onto the ridge. It was a bit of a chore climbing into a rising South Westerly wind but once I was up I was up. Or so I thought. The ride along the ridge to Coneysthorpe is a delight if you ignore the increased traffic caused by a Countryfile Live visit. At the crossroads I turned right to bring me back down into Slingsby along a roller coaster of blind summits. Yesterday I described the Howardian Hills as 'beautifully rolling'; today I found this.

upload_2019-8-20_15-44-26.png

Just look at that gradient on the 20 mile mark!

upload_2019-8-20_15-43-36.png

21 miles before breakfast.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
A bit over 20 miles on the Voodoo 29er this afternoon - the first time I've used it in a couple of months and the first time into double figures on it since April. As today was the last day of a long weekend off work I'd intended to treat myself to a pub lunch, but I got to the pub and had a CBA moment (for the second time this year) and kept going. The afternoon ride is the northern part of the map below - the southern part is the morning's 4 mile shopping trip extended to 10 miles
Screenshot_2019-08-20 A mixed day Ride Strava.png

Old jon

Guru
Let’s go north of Eccup, thought I this morning. Not a thought I have very often, which is a shame ‘cos some of the riding is pretty good around there. So off I went.

Tap the barometer on the way out of the house, its on the ‘F’ in Fair, carefully said. Some habits are difficult to break, it matters not what the thing says, only weather. There is a choice of routes towards Eccup and I had no problem starting at Office Lock after the ride from home through Holbeck. Just like my previous ride, after leaving the towpath ride up to Headingley and Lawnswood, even turn right at the same set of traffic lights. But pedal straight on after crossing the dam to cross King Lane onto Eccup Lane. These street names make navigating easy, don’t they? This road passes the village, and shortly afterwards passes the New Inn. Fun this morning, there was a following breeze and my speed was good. And then the road descends. Much more fun. All the way to the A 659, through the village of Weardley, plenty of bends and a fair width of road, just let the bike go.

Turn right to head for Harewood Bridge. This road can be busy, turn left onto the A 61 for another busy ish road, though I had reached the Dunkeswick turnoff before a car passed me. Not much further on is the right turn for Kirkby Overblow. Seems to have been surface roughened recently, so a bit buzzy through the handlebars. It is an odd road, sometimes effortless all the way to the start of the climb through the village. It was not that kind this morning, which made me happy to reach the top of the village.

In this direction Sicklinghall is a downhill village, the road starts climbing again of course once the village is behind you. The intention was to take the right turn for Linton next. When I reached it there were two cars, and drivers, blocking the road end. OK, on to Wetherby. Only to find the road closed and a diversion posted. To Linton. Once there, cross the bridge into Collingham, back to a different bit of the A 659 and then the A 58 towards Leeds. Also towards Bardsey, where I again turned left to ride up Rigton Bank. With a rest in the middle. Another stretch of road I like, towards Thorner, But, for something to do I suppose, the top of the hill before reaching the village is closed. Residents only, says the sign. Couple of barriers, young lass trying not to laugh when I told her I was lying but I am a resident. T’other end of the road, at the bottom of Church Hill, had no barriers.

To leave Thorner I had decided to ride up Sandhills, probably saves half a mile and I do like the road. To the top and just before the right turn onto Skeltons Lane there are more barriers. All this is about the Leeds Festival. At Bramham Park, a dozen miles out of the city. Next weekend. Tickets may still be available but road closures are compulsory for all. Ah well, on with the ride. Reach the A 58 again, turn left for one more descent and the ride past the clock at Oakwood and down Roundhay Road to Crown Point Bridge for the final river crossing of the ride. A corner of Hunslet to ride through, then the last lap to home. Me and the geared bike have ridden almost thirty six miles and over 2000 feet of up, says the garthing. Made me smile.

Map time . . .

21082019.jpg

jongooligan

Legendary Member
After a sleepless night in a motorhome with a sick dog I didn't really feel up to much today but the forecast was for rain later so if I was going to do anything it needed to be sooner rather than later. *VIRTUS IN ACTIONE CONSTITIT.

Set off at a gentle pace up the roller coaster ascent from Slingsby to ride past Castle Howard in weak sunshine and a moderate SW breeze with no real idea where I was going. At the top of the climb the road becomes arrow straight and is littered with statuary and follies, all part of the Hawksmoor/Vanburgh design for the Howard estate.
20190821_101236[1].jpg

The 100ft tall obelisk at Castle Howard built in 1714 to comemorate the duke of Marlborough's victories in the War of the Spanish Succession

There's lots of this stuff in the first five miles of this route - far too much to stop and photograph every one. Well worth a look though if you're in the area. I turned right for Bulmer before reaching the column dedicated to the memory of one of the Howards.

Once through Bulmer it wasn't the 15% gradient of Sittenham hill that brought me to a stop but the sound of a piston engined aeroplane doing aerobatics. Try as hard as I could I couldn't bring it in sight even though I could hear it plainly. Very frustrating as this is one of my favourite free shows.

I was leaving the Howardian Hills by now and gradually descending (with minor ups) to the Vale of York. Through Sheriff Hutton, Farlington and Stillington (where I recently slept in the bus stop) to Easingwold. The roads here were wet but I'd managed to dodge the showers.
20190821_104541[1].jpg

Gate at High Towthorpe. Red roses on a Yorkshire gate? Surely some mistake

The tea shops of Easingwold were rammed so I carried on towards Crayke and Brandsby, both of which have short but steep climbs. Once off the B1369 though it's downhill into the lovely village of Hovingham - all honey coloured stone and red tiles.
20190821_121439[1].jpg

Hovingham Hall

*The band above the carriage arch bears the motto 'VIRTUS IN ACTIONE CONSTITIT'. Can't find an exact translation so 'Courage is found in action' maybe? Just what I needed this morning.
20190821_121211[1].jpg

Ford at Hovingham

Just a couple of miles back to Slingsby from here to log 31 miles with 1800ft of climbing.

postman

Legendary Member
Well looking at the photos of rides this week.They make my ride today 42 miles very pale.Bolton Abbey is where i nearly got to,Abbey Tea Room,well not actually the Tea room a MASSIVE bench over the road,it was that big i had a lay down.Cool drink a banana and a chocolate bar,all to ease the aching legs.A real good ride back to Otley,yes Otley again ,why not it has my fave cafe there.Then back to Meanwood for a mega all day breakfast.Today we went our seperate ways so we had to look after ourselves and i decided on a visit to a great cafe in Meanwood.Riding out of Otley i saw a wonderful gesture,not sure if the guy at the front was disabled or just tired but his mate was riding shotgun on his back wheel doing 6mph,what a great mate.It's now 18-10 ish and my legs still ache.Rang the surgery and the test results are still not back,maybe another two weeks.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Just Pete M and me today. Pleasant temperature and bright skies made the ride out to Martley just the ticket. We were going well along the Teme Valley and even the climb out of the valley seemed easy. The drag to Clows Top was as draggy as I remembered even though I hadn't been this way for quite some time. The lane by Bayton to Cleobury Mortimer didn't disappoint. Always a lovely ride.
We found a pleasant cafe which offered good fare and shelter from an unexpected shower. By the time we were ready to go the roads had dried. Result! The road to Tenbury Wells is a rolling one with the tops of the Clee Hills just to our right. We took the Cinders lane to Leysters and then the usual run to Bromyard where a quick cafe stop was called. Then along the Frome Valley to climb out at Halmonds Frome. Pete was lost but recognised the lane to Bosbury after we'd dropped down Fox Hill. Just the run back to Colwall where we parted for me to return over the Wyche.
Nice to reaquaint myself with old territory today. I was surprised that the route wasn't longer. 70 smiles

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Having missed a chance to get out yesterday (too many aches) I took the opportunity today even though it was set to be a busy day. I had to be back for an appointment then had more work to do in the afternoon so grabbed the knockabout bike again and set out for a couple of hours.

Just a local loop this time: over Lyth Hill, drop down to Condover then Cross Houses, Atcham, Upton Magna, Uffington, into Shrewsbury and around the centre before heading home.

It was a little cloudy and hazy at the start but the sun came out on the way round.

The fields at Hunger Hill have been harvested so the junction with the A49 has reasonable visibilty again. This might help with motivation a bit as I can't always face mixing it with the traffic on the main road route to Condover.

I had quiet lanes and a bit of a tailwind through Cross Houses and on to Atcham where I enjoyed the detour through Attingham Park again. Approaching Upton Magna a lorry driver had just started pulling out from a side road and I was resigned to stopping for him when to my surprise he backed up and let me past. Needless to say he got a wave of thanks.:thumbsup:

The canal path from Uffington is a rough as ever but was dry so I used it anyway. I found the headwind on Sydney Avenue but by now the sun was out so I took it easy and enjoyed the scenery. For a change I went up St. Mary's Water Lane and around the town centre before dropping down to the Welsh Bridge and turning onto Victoria Avenue to go along the riverside to Greyfriars Bridge and out of town through Belle Vue (where there were a few utility cyclists which is a good sight to see).

22.1 miles at 13 mph average. Got back in good time for my appointment and headed out after that out to do more on the gardening project I'm helping with - we shifted about 4.5 tonnes of turf and earth into a skip today.:heat: Feeling it a bit now and probably won't be able to move in the morning.

P8210036.JPG

Hazy as I look towards the Wrekin from Berrington this morning.

P8210037.JPG

Upton Magna.

P8210039.JPG

Alongside the River Severn at Castlefields.

P8210040.JPG

St. Mary's Water Lane.

P8210041.JPG

Church Street.

P8210043.JPG

Dogpole.

P8210046.JPG

Milk Street. My first proper bike came from the cycle shop that used to be in the black and white building on the left.

P8210047.JPG

Sparkling water as I look across to the old brewery in Coleham.

TigerT

Veteran
My ride last Sunday

Saturday was new kit day, so Sunday required a short coffee and cake run over to Baden to test it out.

I wasn’t in any particular hurry to leave on Sunday as sun wasn’t forecast until 11am and I was only planning to be out for a couple of hours. I set out at 9:30am on the short route over to Baden and everything was in eventful for the first half of the ride.... until I found out there was a local triathlon running that day. The roads weren’t closed, but there were marshals trying to dissuade you from using the route. I picked the least busy roads and substantially managed to avoid the race except for one lane that I had to go against the flow of the race much to the displeasure of the Marshall! However the threatened ‘high speed cyclists approaching head on’, turned out to be about 3 fairly slow competitors who were quite easy to avoid.

I arrived in Baden having taken a much longer route than normal and decided I wasn’t going back the same way. So over coffee and cake, I decided it would have to be a longer ride.

My new route would take me up to the German border at Koblenz, then alongside the Rhein through Bad Zurzach and Kaiserstuhl before heading down to Glattfelden and following the river Glatt back home. I’ve done bits of this route before and it’s beautiful, well worth the extension!

By 90kms, I was starting to overheat, so I made a brief diversion to the viewing platform behind the airport. There is an outdoor restaurant called the Heligrill, built in an old Helicopter. I stopped for an Ice Cream and watched planes for a bit before heading home. Just over 100kms when I only intended to do 45!

EA35CAC9-B1DF-4164-9EC8-8B0EF9DF5ECA.jpeg
A short rest In Bad Zurzach
C4CBEEED-EF24-4FF0-9527-AA42B1702FC4.jpeg
Following the Rhein
84455915-EFE4-4DBA-9A2E-431BB19CEAFF.jpeg
And the map.

Last edited:

Mrs M

Guru
7562757B-5687-49E2-B76E-E563A4ECAB40.jpeg
B83A5B86-C65E-45E0-857A-9911025400B1.jpeg
0EAC597A-A365-4062-A974-B80791609DBF.jpeg
4AA4449D-B109-4474-A11B-C39AC2FCB99E.jpeg
First proper ride on my new bike today :smile:
Rode into Aberdeen as the maximum height on dropper post was a good 2 inches too low and cable needed adjusted, (beyond me) :blush:
Felt like I was on a wee clown bike with the saddle so low but rolled along nicely.
Sunny with a nice breeze so lovely day for it.
Dropped the new bike off and collected my Felt road bike at same time, new bottom bracket and gears now sorted :okay: Took the Felt to Mr M’s car and loaded it into the boot then went to Pret for lunch :hungry:
There was a poor wee soul sitting near me with just a coke, so I bought him a sandwich.
Very well spoken and polite, drank his coke from a plastic cup while I swigged mine from the can!
He ate up, thanked me then shuffled away. Just a young guy, with a lovely smile, felt sad for him.
Anyway collected the bike, got a rear mudguard fitted and cut through Duthie Park on the way home.
Some wee pics from today.
New bike is called Selena. :dry:

jongooligan

Legendary Member
This was today's plan. A ride taking in both the Vale of Pickering and the Vale of York which would require two crossings of the Howardian Hills.

upload_2019-8-22_16-6-1.png

'Everyone has a plan until they get a smack in the mouth' (Mike Tyson). My smack in the mouth was delivered by Ride With GPS which had routed me onto some bridleways so rough I wouldn't tackle them in a tractor. Happy to have been using a Garmin etrex 30 with OS mapping so it was easy to re-route, only adding an extra 5 or 6 miles to my original route.

20190822_130731[1].jpg

Bridge to nowhere at Hovingham

Stopped at the bakery/cafe near the ford at Hovingham. Not recommended - slow service, mediocre food and very noisy bakery machinery running.

20190822_134256[1].jpg

My initial opinion of the Howardian Hills as 'beautifully rolling' has been revised to 'quite choppy'. Came across three or four gradients this steep today.

Ended up doing 45 miles with ~2500ft of climbing

Top Bottom