Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mrs M

Guru
The Maxxis Minions you've got fitted are outstanding tyres. They are fab - talking trail centres and natural stuff and they grip like stink. They are fine on tarmac too, if a little draggy. Been very impressed with them, having has 'quick' Schwalbe Nobby Nics. The Minions grip far better, but aren't too slow.
Good to hear Maxxis are decent tyres :smile:
According to the bike description they came with Schwalbe Rocket Ron’s
Noticed the 2020 model comes with Maxxis also
No complaints so far

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Good to hear Maxxis are decent tyres :smile:
According to the bike description they came with Schwalbe Rocket Ron’s
Noticed the 2020 model comes with Maxxis also
No complaints so far

The Minions are amazing, but they need to be used hard. My rear is showing some wear, but it's been hammered. The grip is astounding on nasty stuff. I know you've not had chance yet, but they are predictable on tarmac too - I'm happy leaning them over on the black stuff.

RoadRider400

Some bloke that likes cycling alone
With one thing and another I had not been out for three weeks. Managed 36 miles today in a very leisurely 3 hours. Was out on the road before 6am, plenty of photo stops and a nice 10 minute stop for a snack overlooking a river and the sunrise.

PPsLgan.jpg

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I got out in the evening yesterday which was very pleasant. I went for my Upton Magna, Walcot, Cressage, Acton Burnell, Longnor route this time.

Heading out to Condover I had a brisk headwind to start with which was stronger than I'd expected. It didn't matter too much though as I change direction after the village and got a good boost from the wind instead all the way to Upton Magna.

There were a handful of other cyclists out this evening and I encountered a couple headed in my direction for a while. Didn't chat with them though.

At Atcham I thought I'd go through Attingham Park but got there just as the gates were being closed up for the evening so had to take the road route instead.

Between Upton Magna and Withington I put my front lights on as I was now riding out of the sun. I took a left in the village to add a bit of distance and expected to find the headwind again when the route turned southwards but it seemed to have died down now which suited me nicely.

Rear lights went on at Walcot as I'd be riding towards the sun again for a short stretch, and stayed on for the rest of the trip.

The roads were quite quiet by this time so no bother from the traffic on the way to Cressage apart from one driver who seemed reluctant to overtake near to Cressage Bridge. I was planning to pause for a photo anyway so I let them by.

At Cound Moor I thought I had a problem with my speedometer - I didn't, I was just that slow.:blush: It's an odd bit of road this. It looks dead flat but going in this direction it's hard to maintain any decent speed.

I had a tractor follow me through Acton Burnell. I was willing to let it by but every time I went slow so did they, meaning that they weren't close enough to do an overtake until after the village where I pulled into a gateway.

From Longnor it was getting properly dark and as I went along the lane to Ryton I realised that my lights were aimed a bit high. I'm sure I set them properly not that long ago - must have got knocked.

The A49 was busier than I'd have expected for the time of the evening. Lots of people heading out to the pub I suppose.

34.9 miles at 15.3 mph average. Enjoyed that.^_^

P8230048.JPG

Looking towards the Stretton hills early in the ride.

P8230051.JPG

The River Tern at Walcot.

P8230052.JPG

The Wrekin in the evening glow.

P8230053.JPG

The Wrekin and the Severn from Cressage Bridge

P8230054.JPG

There goes the sun.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
A great many favourites on yesterday's ride. As usual, I was far too tired to create a coherent account on the day itself. Map and profile below:

19Aug23map.jpg

19Aug23ele.jpg

I wish the surface of the old railway line between Symonds Yat East and Monmouth could be better, but I'm glad it's there, and the tarmac is so blissful when it finally reappears. It seemed like a very long time since I'd ridden down river from Monmouth; the surface seemed much improved, at least as far as Bigsweir bridge where it's as horrible as ever as far as Llandogo. Not wishing to get in everyone's way in the uphill temporary traffic light sections beyond Tintern, I headed up the long climb to Devauden, which is a much better option really, a satisfying taste of rural Wales. Then there's the exhilarating brake-free descent through Itton Common to Chepstow and the Severn Bridge, which I've ridden over literally thousands of times but never loses its magic.

The sun finally came fully out and the temperature rose abruptly. There's plenty of scope for meandering in the lanes to the west of the main A38, including the diversion through Shepperdine which I'd never explored before. I was wilting somewhat in the heat, and approaching Gloucester it was the just the time when the lanes around Saul and Longney start to swarm with afternoon and evening riders. One seemed very surprised to see someone who was actually slower than him, and rode past with an air of disbelief.

A little diversion entering Gloucester to visit an unusual pillar box. Photo in the appropriate thread. Final mileage was 113.6 miles at an average speed of 12.1 mph. I'd hoped that Strava's flattering "moving time" would come to my aid, but it seems I was only stopped for 8 minutes, so not much help there.

13 rider

Guru
Out the door at 6.45 for some early miles before a meet up at Market Bosworth at 0900. Took the long route around Charnwood Forest and up the Soar valley for some 20 miles before making it back to my village :crazy: to head to Market Bosworth .Took the normal route to Bosworth through Desford that was holding a scarecrow weekend some very good ones . Made the meeting point early with 30 miles in the bag soon @Supersuperleeds rolled up with only 16 miles done I've out distanced him :becool: .We waited till 0900 and rolled out as a pair . I decided on the less hilly of the 2 routes . Into Upton and noise from @Supersuperleeds bike has us stopped . A broken spoke was found and secured by wrapping in around another spoke . On we go and the quiet lanes and ping another spokes goes :banghead:this one was directly opposite the other one . Decision was to cut the route short and head home carefully the wheel just slightly out of true but ridable .Back to Bosworth retraced my early route home through Desford . Over the level crossing which @Supersuperleeds walked over just in case on to Kirby Muxloe were we parted company with @Supersuperleeds 6 miles from home . My original target was a ride over my Eddington number of 72 . So 50 miles in 10 miles from home ,back to my village and back out to Swithland and Mountsorrel and home .74 miles done in lovely conditions :sun:and just a paltry 52 miles for @Supersuperleeds :okay: but he was on a broken bike
A couple of scarecrows
IMG_20190824_081621755.jpg

Sir Bradley
IMG_20190824_102601088.jpg

The best display we saw

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
A trip out on the road bike today, to the bank in Didcot, then to mooch about the Rides on Air bike shop in Wallingford, I was going to have a coffee there, but they’ve moved to another premises and no longer sell coffee. So on to Goring where I had some lunch and a cuppa, then back via Moulsford, and Cholsey for a Magnum. No time for photos today. 27.5 miles.

6BF1B17B-E071-4E11-8A6E-26A1B9B7BFEF.jpeg

Edit. It’s a lovely day today, smashing weather.

Last edited:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Today I had a long ride in mind. That idea didn't work when I slept late so I toyed with the idea of something shorter but couldn't decide and the time was going on - I hate it when my motivation goes walkies.:sad:

An idea occurred though and I persuaded my brother out for his first ride in probably a couple of months. His choice was to do my Acton Burnell route which isn't too long, so we got ready and went for that.

I decided to use the Kingpin today for what is its longest outing since purchasing it. We set out over Lyth Hill (my idea as I thought the main road might be busy -it wasn't too bad as it turns out) then dropped down to Condover.

Doug had lost a lot more fitness than I'd expected so we took it at a pretty leisurely pace and had plenty of stops. It wasn't helped by having another brisk headwind all the way through Acton Burnell to Longnor and with it being the warmest day so far this month.

Eventually we found the tailwind and got along at a really good pace through Ryton and Condover. At points I didn't have a high enough gear to keep up with Doug. We chose to head back the main road way (a lot flatter and slightly shorter) which was just as well as Doug had reached his limit for today.

The Kingpin was great to ride; reasonably quick, coped with the hills, handles nicely and smooths out the rough roads really well.^_^ Chuffed with that.

Doug's speedometer shows we did 17.8 miles at 11.8 mph average.

P8240061.JPG

Up at Lyth Hill

P8240063.JPG

Drink stop near Pitchford.

P8240065.JPG

Another stop near Longnor.

P8240067.JPG

A nice summery view to the hills from Great Ryton.

Globalti

Legendary Member
20190824_115305.jpg
20190824_124048.jpg
I bonked!

Wanted to ride the road that heads NE from Malham Tarn over to Littondale, recommended by a cycling buddy. So I drove to Settle then rode round through Paythorne to Otterburn, taking it at pootle pace so as to conserve strength for the big climb up the west side of Malham Cove. Stopped in Otterburn to chat with somebody and along the road came the guys and a gal from Green Jersey cycling club in Clitheroe, who I know. "Jump on!" they shouted so I did, which meant going up from pootle pace to fastish pace. Reached the cafe in Airton and sat down with them for coffee and a flapjack. Left them there and headed up through Malham, avoiding the show traffic and up the climb. Well my flippin' legs felt terrible and I had to stop twice to rest. Reached the crossroads at the top and realised I was bonking, I felt weak and dizzy and breathless.

Then I remembered that I had only had a bowl of horse bran at 5.30, I had no carbs or electrolytes in my bottle and no energy bars. Cadged a gel off a friendly cyclist and carried on, whooping with joy at the smooth hot-rolled tarmac swooping up and down and round corners that I had come to ride. Got to the pub in Arncliffe and had a pint and a sandwich, after which my legs began to improve steadily for the ride back over to Settle.

So 39.6 miles and 2950 feet of climb and a lesson learned about taking seriously proper breakfasts and drinking bottle contents. It's not that I don't know, I just took the whole trip too casually.

Last edited:
Top Bottom