Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

13 rider

Guru
Today's ride was to the end of the alphabet ie Zouch in Leicestershire .Big sister was taking mum for breakfast at a garden centre in Keyworth so meeting was arranged for 1100 . Out the door at 0915 and it was already hot :sun:. Anstey ,Rothley ,Mountsorrel into Barrow and onto the drag up Paudy lane took it easier this week until 1\3 of the way up a female ride past me and competitive me came out to play closed the gap and drafted for a while then being the gentleman :angel: took a turn on the front . We swapped places a few times as the hammer went down . For the 2nd week running my average speed went up on a 4 Mile uphill section . Thankfully at the top I went left and my compatriot went right . I genuinely think she could have dropped me at anytime :whistle: but it was good fun putting in an effort . Wymeswold ,Wysall and Keyworth found the garden centre and a very relaxed stop ,mini breakfast consumed :mrpig:. It's was noticely warmer when getting back on the bike . East Leake ,Sutton Bonnington and finally the end of the alphabet for the ABC thread
IMG_20190825_125232678.jpg

Rolling terrain back home via Long Whatton ,Diesworth ,Shepshed then the enevitable headwind along Charley road :banghead:. Through Newtown Linford which was mega busy as Bradgate park is always busy on a sunny day . Home 53 miles done and another challenge ticked off

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Realised with a shock last night that today would be my last chance to get a qualifying ride in for the Metric Century-a-Month Challenge for August. Having kept it going for the previous 55 months, I wasn't about to miss out, so I got out early to put in over 12 of what @Cranky Knee Girl would describe as "unethically flat" miles before the start of the club ride, and then tagged on a handful of extra miles after the finish. I'm not at my best in hot, sunny weather, and really started to wilt at about the 50 mile mark. By then we'd done a long climb up the Slad Valley and a short but brutal climb over Painswick Golf Club on our way to the coffee stop at the Rococo Gardens. Came across a couple of friends along the way .... one at the beginning, who was out with the Kingsway Runners, and another who came and joined me at my 60 mile mark while I was sat on the grass down by the Severn at Stonebench gulping down the last of my hot orange squash.

Not a day for photos .... more of a slog really. Glad to have got a 63.6 miler (102.4km) in though, and I'm now suitably (erm) re-hydrated, shall we say. (Found plenty of cold beer in the fridge).

207.JPG

209 Metric Century Challenge Month 56.JPG

Mission accomplished . (And no, @welsh dragon, that wasn't me. I don't claim to be omnipresent. He must have been a good looking fella).
Cheers, Donger.

Club ride today in the Cambridgeshire/Suffolk heat.

Nice 100k after a re-route from the planned one thanks to the Chairman.

One puncture and a cleat issue(not for me) was the only issue and a refreshing Fentiman's Cola with an Espresso and a slice of Morroccan Snake Cake to help fuel pt 2 of the ride.

Only a couple of pics;

The motley crue;

edcc sunday.jpg

Best bikes out today:whistle::becool:;

ridleypair.jpg

Mike_P

Guru
Out on the Defy mid morning once I had given up on Strava on my phone – insisted location was not active when it was. Attire did include as normal black bibs, the reason for stating that will become obvious later. Avoiding the puncture territory of the Country Park so no climb of Cornwall Road, and back streets used rather than the climb of Ripon Road as it was pretty busy. It quickly became apparent the fix of the rear derailleur had not worked – presumably the bend in the hanger had re-sprung it back out of alignment after it seemed fixed :sad: Then across to the normal route down to Pannal, cutting across to Burn Bridge and up Brackenthwaite Lane, onto Bricscoe Rigg and pass the flying club to Almscliffe Crag.
Almscliffe Crag.jpg

Instead of direct to Huby went via North Rigton and brief dash on the A658. At Huby I managed to get the phone working; seemed to be the battery saver that was the problem but why today and not before:unsure:East to Dunkeswick; the original plan had been to try yet another way up the hillside instead of going through Kirkby Overblow but with the gear issue I decided on the latter – it was interesting spinning up the hill north out of the village in “granny gear”. Not fancying anymore granny gearing if it could be avoided I stayed on the bypass as the gradients were comfortably manageable on the higher gears and a nice fast downhill section to the rear of Rudding Park.
Bypass down.jpg

Nearly tumbled at the junction with the Wetherby Road as having unclipped my right foot to stop at the last moment it accidentally clipped back in; a front wheel juggle followed. Turned off to Calcutt and then rat-ran – a van passed with a shout of Sexy Bum:excl: Sticking to a regimented swig of a water at least every 20 minutes and a snack every hour; the 2 hours approached as I passed alongside the Stray so bench acquired. Think I may have broke some bye-law by cycling to and from it:stop:
Stray 250819.jpg

Thereafter a ride using the A59 or parallel roads, until jumping onto the parallel cycle track as the false flat started to noticeably hamper speed. Called the LBS once home but they could not look at the bike until 16 September so a quick rethink and ordered a new derailleur hanger, along with an inner tube to get free postage:thumbsup:
250819 route.jpg
250819 elev.jpg

Yesterday's ride
The club were heading where I had been recently sofancied doing my own thing

Headed out through Windsor Great Park and up Drift Road eventually passing through Twyford, then up to Henley. Stopped for a coffee and a bit at the pleasant cafe by the river.

ThenThrough to Marlow, down to Cookham and Maidenhead. Temperatures had risen a liot, so had an ice cream at Boulter's lock.

Then after short section on A4, down through the small roads through Dorney Common and Eton Wick, at Eton cutting through to Datechet and home

54.3 miles @ 16.0 mph
1191 feet climbed

Stopping at traffic lights in the latter part, the heat was pretty fierce.

https://www.strava.com/activities/2649974923

jongooligan

Legendary Member
A tandem ride to the seaside for an ice cream today.

Dropped down through an earily quiet Chester le Street to get onto the C2C path at North Lodge.
it's an easy ride down to Sunderland from there in sweltering sunshine.

20190826_110932[1].jpg

Northern Spire bridge at Sunderland.

We weaved through the walkers and other cyclist when the traffic got busier as we approached the sea. Every seat at every caff on the marina was taken so we carried on to Roker beach where we found a seat on the prom.

Two 99's with monkey's blood for me and Mrs. jg were just the job.

20190826_114921[1].jpg

Orbit Velocity waiting for us to finish our ice creams.

The ride back was pretty much the same as the ride there except we were facing the other way.

30 easy miles

C R

Guru
Not much planned for today, so took the opportunity for another ride.

It was supposed to be fresh early in the morning, so out on the road at 6:30. There was a lot of gloom about, but a nice sunrise nonetheless.
IMG_20190826_063510582.jpg

You can just see on the left the new pedestrian/cycle bridge over the Worcester southern link road. Once it is open I won't have to deal with rat runners in a hurry in Norton Road on my commute.

Through town, catching every single light in red, and then towards Droitwich by the lanes along the canal. I don't know why, but was struggling to get into a consistent rhythm. I guess the steep up and downs don't help, but it felt harder than usual.

Past Droitwich and on to Hanbury, I finally got onto a good pace, and the progress was faster. Stopped for a drink by the locks at Hanbury Wharf, looking nice, but still a bit gloomy.

IMG_20190826_072921254_HDR.jpg

Past Hanbury was a right for Bradley Green, then Inkberrow, over the A442 towards Bishampton via the Lenches, and then head for Throckmorton.

Stopped for a snack half way between Bishampton and Throckmorton, partly prompted by a strange noise, which turned out to be sticky tar on the road surface.

IMG_20190826_083602724.jpg

Once I satisfied myself there was nothing wrong with the bike, had a drink and a nut bar, and then back on the road for the final stretch. Past the airfield, then across the A44 past Pinvin, right over the ford for Drakes Broughton and then towards Wadborough. I struggled a bit up the short ramp to Wadborough, but then recovered and was a quick ride through Littleworth and down past Norton church for home.

IMG_20190826_153740.jpg

38.3 miles, at 14.5mph. fun ride with not much climbing, fun, but harder than expected.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
That was something a bit different. A Pokémon night hunt by bike with my 9 year old daughter. Last bit of action before her first bivouac. No graveyards by request. Beautiful starry night but by 05:00 the fog came in thick. Thick enough for us to get dripped on by the trees we were sleeping under. Torture. :tongue: Absolute torture.

And a bit of help from @ianrauk :notworthy:

9D86B977-3699-4729-86E8-FF7CB9AD61C8.jpeg
516D479F-E126-4FC2-AEA2-8A369BF035B8.png
6F6EF9D5-73C1-4F3F-B16C-63354BC2214E.jpeg
7424B42A-34DB-455B-A304-D8955EE914B0.jpeg

Last edited:

Old jon

Guru
A bright sunny Bank Holiday morning. Almost incredible. Also bordering on unbelievable is the way the cricket yesterday chose my route today. Yup, if the Test Match had not finished, Headingley would have been very busy indeed and I would have ridden a different way. Mind, with Roundhay Road closed for Carnival and Bramham submerged in Festival my choice of rides was limited anyway.

The towpath was quiet and except for my labouring lungs the drag up Cardigan Road and onwards to the Ring Road was also peaceful. Bear left onto Otley Old Road for a bit more climbing up to the water tower at Cookridge. The road then drops past a golf club and the Old Leodiensian’s, one or the other often has a car and driver attempting to escape the grounds . . . Further on, take the left turn to ride up past the airport. This road crosses the Bradford to Harrogate Road, turn right for Pool, and the ride down the bank. Once in the village, remember to ride straight on and cross the River Wharfe. No intention of travelling far towards Harrogate, take the left turn towards Leathley and then left again at Leathley Bridge. And there is the hill in front. This seems to be the steep side of the hill, I rode it the other way a couple of weeks back, but anyway.

Out of Otley up the Leeds Road, passed by half a dozen faster riders. There are welcome patches of shade most of the way up, the two final bends are in a bit of a cutting, where the sun rarely shines. The downhill ride through Bramhope, to the roundabout and turn left there, it feels mostly up to Arthington Road. Downhill past Golden Acre Park then bumpy road through Adel and back to the A 660. It is downhill to back Headingley from here, turn right onto North Lane and continue to Kirkstall. But this time not to the towpath. I thought it might have been busier than normal. So, Kirkstall Road towards Leeds’ centre. Very quiet, which made it easier to find my way around the ‘infrastructure’. There is scope for confusion, and a lack of uniform treatment of important bits. Very glad I do not have to ride it, except by very occasional choice.

Before the town centre is reached, turn right twice to reach Aire Street and ride along there to Globe Road. This leads nicely to Water Lane. The only road I have seen with wings, there are three to ride under before reaching the end of Great Wilson Street. Pedal along this for a bit, a right turn to go up Leathley Road, not the Leathley north of Pool, and there is only a short distance left to reach home. Thirty two and a half miles, 1988 feet of up, really enjoyable ride again, gave me a lot to smile about.

Edited, 'turn right for Pool'

Road knitting, almost.

26082019.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom