Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Old jon

Guru
A bit cloudy this morning, and maybe felt cooler too. Add to that a slightly earlier start than usual means things have changed. But not that much. All the events of last weekend are finished so there should be no unusual traffic, wheel out the fixed and point it in the direction of away.

And I found traffic! Water Lane was the chosen way out of Holbeck and it was full of cars. So was Globe Road, and it took what seemed to be a long time to reach Great Wilson Street. Cross the river and ride up to the Oakwood Clock, straight on to the foot of that hill. Riding up to the Ring Road never seems any easier on the fixed. Straight on a bit more then turn right and eventually reach Thorner. Past the Beehive pub, which I read last weekend has been taken over by a famous chef, so famous that I forgot his name just after I saw it. Out of the village up Church Hill then that long descending road past Bramham Park.

And, at the end of the video, that steep little climb after crossing the stream whose name I cannot find on the map. After crossing the A 1M turn right, this misses most of the Bramham and parallels the road I have just crossed all the way to Aberford. Good surface, no steep climbs and not much traffic. But you can hear the traffic on that big road across there. It is a long time since the A 1 has been a quiet road. Anyway, the idea had been to turn right in Aberford. But the ride distance looked like it would be shy of thirty miles so a bit of a rethink. Straight through Aberford on a rising road and turn right at the crossroads with the B 1217.

After crossing the M1, another enormous roundabout, ride through the northern bit of Garforth. Over the top of the railway station and turn right at the next traffic lights. Just before the junction there was a shortcut signposted for bikes turning right. About a yard above the ground, at the other side of the road, right at the dropped crossing. Sorry, I cannot make turns that sharp without notice. No matter how it is reached, this road leads to Barwick. A bit up and down, crosses a stream that could well be Cock Beck, the last approach to Barwick is up. Turn left, still on a rise until the drop before Scholes. Left onto the A 64 then the bit of Thorner Lane I did not ride on earlier. I can almost see the tyre tracks now, all the way past the clock at Oakwood to Crown Point Bridge and the river crossing before finishing thirty three and a half miles at my front door, with a grin at the weather, which had just started raining.

Cycling geometry, or should that be etch a sketch?

28082019.jpg

booze and cake

probably out cycling
I've just returned from the wilderness of Mid Wales so these are not from today, but I've spent most of the weekend with zero phone reception so this is the first chance I've had to post. The scenery and cycling are amazing around there, so I think its worth the wait.

I had arranged to go camping for a few days with friends near Cwmystwyth, so I met with them in Newtown and gave them all my camping gear and clothes and they drove off to the campsite, and I planned to cycle approx 30 hilly miles there. Weather was great and I left Newtown and headed along the super green valley floor on the back road to Caersws.
AvFQPHj.jpg

Its then along the back road through Trefeglys to Llanidloes, Its a great fast descent into town, where I hit 47 mph. After Llanidloes the road really starts going up.
a26SL2L.jpg

Through Llangurig at 1000 ft above sea level. I do a short half a mile stretch along the A44 which is very busy with traffic, no doubt heading for the coast. But I soon turn off again onto the NCN 81.and am rewarded instantly as there is zero traffic. Its remote forest and hills round here, Hafren Forest is nearby where they do the UK stage of the World Rally Championships. Thankfully there's no rally cars today, in fact there is nobody at all, its great. But its hot, even the sheared sheep are seeking shade.
DmEKzLh.jpg

Already at 1000 ft and the road keeps going up
6EebhnY.jpg

The road climbs for another 2.5 miles and I'm above the trees, and the shade runs out and I am all alone out on the moors in the beating sun.
qXxQ6vu.jpg

This section is amazing and I cover 6 miles from turning off the busy A44 without seeing a single car, biker, walker or anyone, it was just me and nature on a great day. From the top I'm faced with an amazing looking descent that looks fresh out of cyclist fantasy, wow.
vLFfcd9.jpg

I come across an icy cold mountain stream that provides a welcome cooling point for head, hands and feet. The road goes through the river and is gated so no motor traffic can continue, looking at the road you can see why.
0DIcm9s.jpg

It suddenly gets worse and as per many a NCN route, is more suitable for a MTB than the road bike I'm on. I would normally be swearing out loud at these points, but the route and views are so amazing I don't care. I grew up on MTB's so just take care on my lines and go slow and all is well.
MW92LNm.jpg

DrLQ1tM.jpg

I arrive at the bottom where the campsite is, and my mates have already put up the tent and got the beers in, top work:okay:. The ride was a mere 27.9 miles, but climbed 2896ft in elevation. My London legs are throbbing. We cook an amazing meal on an open fire and had a sky filled with stars:notworthy:.
After breakfast my mates are all off in the car and I'm off into the hills, and no surprise its more of the same in terms if climbing. Its another cloudless sky and more epic scenery.
owQIhKU.jpg

Nhjwf9T.jpg

A 2 mile climb up to Ffair-Rhos got the blood pumping, then a rare bit of flat to Tregaron where I turn off towards LLyn Brianne. Again this is an amazing section of road that I have almost all to myself, apart from a few cars and some grinning motorcyclists. From Tregaron its a 1000ft climb up to roads over 1500ft and then it rolls through more deserted country
View attachment 482369
TKCS13P.jpg

LLyn Brianne
NKT54ex.jpg

Like yesterday I return on sections of NCN 81, and like before the roads vanish and speed slows dramatically, but again not a care was given as it was all ride-able with care, and looked great.
7XyrV4z.jpg

Cruising back to camp after another day in the hot sun, I've got definite tan lines and have a real thirst after another 6467ft climbed in just 61.5 miles, but can still manage a laugh at this.
vWu7btA.jpg

Another night at camp then back to my parents in Adfa and back to London today. Aching legs but an all over satisfied glow after another amazing bike trip to Wales. I got lucky with the weather and it was a joy to avoid the bank holiday masses, it felt like I had Wales to myself it was nothing short of fantastic, and the scenery will live long in the memory banks.

Attachments

• NKT54ex.jpg
    NKT54ex.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 4
  • cO0Oyg4.jpg
    cO0Oyg4.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

Dave 123

Legendary Member
A spin through the south Devon lanes this morning. This pic was taken much earlier than when I set off
6FC59809-08CB-4A57-9542-12401F2958AA.jpeg

From Newton Ferrers up to Membland
04F83169-E317-4ABA-85DE-7D4476885A2D.jpeg

Down to Battisborough and over the A379 andhead toward Westlake.
E6CD4691-2FFB-4218-969A-820482F9E4B0.jpeg

I turned off for Yealmpton but at Dunstone Cross I made my way back to the bull and bear. I met some nice ladies
D1297B2B-5E44-4131-909C-C8AB3D9A1C9E.jpeg

D42B25E9-0F07-4B0F-A118-4639F304650E.jpeg

6D63986E-1A6C-49D8-9B3A-CB028DCF6918.jpeg

12723EDB-E897-4584-B66A-1368FAF213D1.jpeg

Then it was through a new bit of lanes to me, into Yealmpton and back up the mighty Puslinch hill.

17 miles.

https://www.strava.com/activities/2661191798

Attachments

• BC42D376-8A36-4C8F-863F-7669970203BE.jpeg
    BC42D376-8A36-4C8F-863F-7669970203BE.jpeg
    142 KB · Views: 2

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
8DDE6649-B4B8-4008-A1EC-6F82416C5F9C.jpeg
8080D136-CC1A-4522-B968-547E65FE962B.jpeg
49F3D299-3274-45F1-B1E0-604014B3151C.jpeg
13FF526D-4F1F-4881-A1B7-DABFC31BCBA4.jpeg

Another bright but cooler morning, arm warmers required and on to the Tricross for the morning commute, 6.8 miles with an average of 18.4 mph.
The weather stayed lovely all day so back on the bike at 5pm for an extended home commute, 28 miles with an average of 14.7 mph, quite a headwind for the last 10 miles, my legs feel knackered!

Last edited:

Katherine

Guru
To Waugh Brow Farm via Irlam and Knutsford and back via Durham.

PSX_20190829_202349.jpg

This afternoon was the first chance I could get out for a ride this week. By the time I got away, I hadn't left myself much time to get to the cafe before it closed at 4. But with a strong headwind on the way out and getting distracted by taking pictures for some of the photo challenges, I tried to speed up after going through Knutsford and it was just gone 3.30 when I arrived. Coffee and lemon cake were spot on.

PSX_20190829_202306.jpg

PSX_20190829_202535.jpg

PSX_20190829_203215.jpg

PSX_20190829_203630.jpg

pjd57

Veteran
My familiar Thursday morning ride to Free Wheel North at Glasgow Green for a few hours volunteering at their track.
Then I headed to Renfrew to pick up a small balance bike my Mrs had bought online for a fiver.
Back home via the Clyde Tunnel and the canal.
Few more miles this evening , down to the RamsHead to watch the football.
30 miles in total
IMG_20190829_162318621.jpg

Attachments

• strava2735808049201366771.jpg
    strava2735808049201366771.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 3

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Another ride this morning. Down to Yealmpton and through the lanes toward Smithaliegh, but I turned off for Westlake. Not been this way before.... there was a long, steep hill. Who’d have thought it.... in Devon of all places!

To the edge of Ivybridge then through the Erme valley to Ermington.

A mile along the A379 and off for Ford, Holbeton Bassisborough and Noss.

21 miles.

DE1A2375-9CAB-49D8-A78D-49AD46FCCDE3.jpeg
FBAAD05A-55B4-417F-843E-01821B5B21B2.jpeg
0EA99D74-BA60-42A3-8819-DF0123BD62CF.jpeg
FA3753B9-DDBD-466A-89CA-1C324AE9D72E.jpeg

https://www.strava.com/activities/2664015424

Old jon

Guru
Looking out of the window, there is more than one in the house, honest, the wind looked a bit unpredictable. Various vegetation blowing in different directions. I told my infinitely better half that the breeze might blow me home early, and pedalled the geared bike away.

There is a gorgeous little road, west of Otley and north of the River Wharfe, that I have not ridden on for a while. Today’s target, but first I have to ride to Otley. This way. Dewsbury Road, Jack Lane into Holbeck and the canal towpath out. Leave the towpath and up Cardigan Road to Headingley. The only downside of living where I do is all that city has to be crossed before I reach the good roads. Still, it is worth it. Take the Otley Road all the way to Lawnswood and further and turn right onto Church Lane to ride past Adel Church after one left turn and Golden Acre Park after one more left. Yet another left goes down Kings Road to Bramhope and back to the A 660. Through the village and turn right to descend Pool Bank, resist the temptation to cross the river there and turn left to ride to Otley.

And cross the Wharfe here. Leave the bridge and climb Billams Hill to Weston Lane and ride along here. The road veers right by a pair of old gates, and starts rising. After a bit it becomes steeper, and steeper still then levels a bit just as my legs felt like giving up. Still rising, all the way to Weston and after that the steep stuff is done with. Askwith is next. This gorgeous little road straightens as you approach Askwith and for a couple of hundred yards the view is of a rather large old house. Which is the old vicarage. For which church I know not, there does not seem to be one nearby. The place still has a pub, and after that the road continues to Denton Bridge.

Which is the next available river crossing. This makes the ride longer, and displays my lack of thought, but the bike is pointed in that direction and it is only a few more miles. So, back across the Wharfe and onto the big road now. Busy, but wide enough, and back to Otley I go. Not exactly short of time but losing five minutes in the queues the traffic lights make, nah! Ride around the bypass, turn right at the roundabout and pedal up Leeds Road. All the way to Headingley again, and the right turn to the towpath at Kirkstall. It was Friday afternoon quiet along here, seemed odd, and the same for the rest of the trip home. Turned into the end of the street as the distance ticked over 40 miles. How far!! That lit up a smile, and the ride was a good one.

Odd roads make shapes

30082019.jpg

Top Bottom