Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Another ride out to Wallingford this morning to meet the Fragrant MrsP for breakfast after her lake swim. I went a different route today via Didcot and Brightwell cum Sotwell for a bit of a mooch about and some photos. A gnats nagder over 24 miles.

551014B6-2CD8-421B-A375-72F2D50BFE9B.jpeg
3DB582BD-5C65-4626-A4E7-5E553E0572D6.jpeg
74D5172F-0BB4-4950-800E-E404898C640D.jpeg
8AD5F4A6-B30A-49EE-8C1C-697B55B58D37.jpeg
A6D30CDC-5CEB-4C6E-899A-6F462D17BECA.jpeg

Mike_P

Guru
Windy and scattered showers did not make the Defy seem that an attractive proposition this morning and looking at the weather forecast for the week a bit of shopping was called for with a few bits from three shops needed rather a lot from any one. So the ebiked hybrid out on a lengthy shopping run – east to Lidl at Knaresborough via the cycle route and High Street for two completely different contrasts in a cycling environment; the cycle route was actually the slightly more disgusting in one respect as I unwittingly rode through a thin layout of horse droppings :sad: the tyres seemed to have cleaned themselves of it by the time I got back home. For once “middle of Lidl” had no temptations so just the three items I had gone for:angel:

Then along the Nidd Gorge and via Calcutt; the westerly climb from Calcutt had a noticeable headwind and I did feel slightly sorry, on a been there done than basis, as I shot pass him for a cyclist really struggling against the wind on a road bike - I'm sure I watched him go backwards for a moment :ohmy:A further cycle route taken through the oddly named Pan Handle recreation ground, think it may be descriptive of its shape, led to the crazy traffic on Wetherby Road with the Sunday morning attractions opposite each other of a recycling site and a Sainsburys:wacko: Once across nipped into the farmshop by the showground for one item and came out with two^_^

Up the steep hill through the showground, which for once was pretty deserted, and along the cycleway/dog walkers paradise to the industrial estate at Hornbeam Park. A quick dash down its length avoiding some pretty ropy road surfaces, and then west to an M&S Simply Food. Three items required, only two in stock:angry:

Was unsure of which way then to go but the lengthy queuing traffic for the west and north directions meant going back towards Hornbeam Park, as a shower broke out, then following the signed cycle directions towards the town centre, done it before but managed to take a wrong turning leading to a backtrack being necessary:blush:

En route realised I had not restarted Strava on leaving the M&S :banghead:so uploading the data once back home it had an odd straight line section through a number of buildings and gardens etc. Went to split the data only to be informed “Only Ride and Run activities can be split” which is probably another reason why so many obviously ebiked rides are cluttering up ride timings:stop: So altered incorrectly to Ride and whereas as an ebike ride it had no segments it now had numerous, and a number of plainly false PRs on a normal bike basis, twelve in fact. Cropped and set back to segment less ebike rides:sad:
16.67 miles in total once the missing bit plotted with 1130ft of the upward stuff,

Last edited:

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
What wind.:laugh: Battled the wind on Saturday. Was OK going out tail wind most of the way. But coming back was hard. Really nice ride stopped at the blue egg for lunch. Then a pub in Fyfield for a beer and a rest. Battling that wind on the way home. Ended up at our local where we met my other half.a couple more beers then home for a shower. Great day out.
Check out my activity on Strava: https://strava.app.link/zQv7d5sa4Y

Attachments

• 20190810_114012.jpg
    20190810_114012.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 5

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Jules H, Rich B, Steve E and me at the Pot. The plan was to take the Deerhurst route to Tewkesbury and the cafe beyond at The Mythe. Lovely run south despite the brisk breeze. The cafe tables were reserved for Sunday lunchers but they fitted us in. A torrent of rain made a thunderous noise on the roof. We sat tight. Rich called for wifely back up but us 3 hardy ones set off as it all stopped. We made it to Ryall where a handy bus shelter was needed. Once that lot had gone we headed our separate ways while it was still OK. I only made it as far as Clive's where a forced stop meant a cup of coffee. Finally, after claps of thunder, I was able to ride onto dry roads. The Hills do provide a rain shadow. So all ended dry thankfully. 43 smiles

geocycle

Legendary Member
9A9F93D8-FE4B-4112-9828-CB4C011E4125.jpeg
Bit of an epic today. Visited Grange over Sands famous for its Vanilla Slice and Cartmel, home of the sticky toffee pudding. So why an epic, well on the way back I discovered the RHS crank was about to drop off and I didn’t have an 8mm Allen key, lots of stopping and bodging kept it in place. But also the rivers were rising adding to the drama and there were lots of localised floods, got very wet feet in one and had to turn round in two others. Ended up relieved to be home after 75 wet miles!

Picture is the river Kent in spate.

TigerT

Veteran
My rides this weekend started with an extended ride home from work. I’ve been using my e bike for commuting which has a basket on the back so I pick a supermarket as far away from home as I dare to pick up my shopping for the weekend! This time I looped out around Otelfingen and did my shopping in Buchs. Total 58kms (normal commute 10kms each way)

Saturday was my planned(ish) ride. I was just going to head out through some local villages, but got a bit carried away and headed on over to Winterthur (as there was blue sky in that direction). I ended up doing 60kms instead of the planned 40. It was worth it, the weather got better the further I went.

Sunday was not planned, I intended to stay at home and relax or maybe go for a short hike but I woke up and the weather was gorgeous. I just headed out with no particular plan apart from Coffee and cake! I ended up heading over to Baden for Coffee and then decided to try and find a route I did once before over to Bremgarten. Made a couple of mistakes but nothing major and found the correct route into the town centre. Had a bit of a wander around - Bremgarten is a beautiful town - Very traditional and on the bank over the River Reuß, with a very impressive wooden bridge. I took a different route back to Baden, that I’d done before, but in the other direction. Quite a lot of uphill and a headwind was building up. Needed another stop in Baden for some lunch before heading home.

As I was heading back I realised I would do about 90 kms so decided to loop around the Katzensee, to make it up to a metric hundred.

So an unexpectedly good weekend for riding bikes. A total of 220kms for the weekend which I think is the most I’ve done.

A79D1965-891C-4BF1-9313-CDD4FCC9E103.jpeg
Down by the River Reuss
375B900A-D996-4E5B-BC8F-DF7E38C026C5.jpeg
Filling my bottle on the way out of town (in Switzerland unless marked otherwise all these troughs and fountains are fine to drink and are always beautifully cold)
33DDFB98-414D-458A-BC38-28B276BAD933.jpeg
And the map.

Last edited:

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Today's ride had to wait until mid afternoon due to gardening needing to be done. As it's my sister's birthday next weekend, I had to pop out to get something for her as I won't have time during the week so I took the rather indirect route out to Martlesham and another indirect route back via Rushmere. Still a bit breezy, but warm so I took my time and had a good couple of hours out.

The only unusual bit was on the quiet road that runs behind Waldringfield golf club. I'd pulled up against the verge to let an oncomming car pass and saw this...
Spot the ball.JPG
Goodness knows how long it's been there as the hedge appears to have grown quite a bit round it. It's the sort on oddity you'd only notice on a bike.

Last edited:
Goodness knows how long it's been there as the hedge appears to have grown quite a bit round it. It's the sort on oddity you'd only notice on a bike.

Oh yes... You do notice so much more when you're on a bike.

Like the time I spotted a load of maris piper tatties that had fallen off a trailer and into the long grass and nettles by the side of the road. If I'd have been driving past, I'd never have seen them. As I was on the bike, and it was less than a quarter mile away from home...

I picked up enough potatoes to take me through from October to April. :girldance:

35 miles today with Gina. She did really well. Got slowed a bit after meeting everybody and their mother on the trail today ha ha! I swear we got stopped 3 times in the first 15 miles. But it was nice seeing old friends again. Couple of hike and bike detours slowed us as well but Gina was rolling pretty good. Too bad we had the obstacles or it would have been a nice strong average.

But she finished strong on the comeback trail so that's a good thing. Some dude we talked to at the break area said he wished his wife would ride. Then he asked if he could ride back with us, sure! He tagged on the back for a few miles doing about 18 then he shot out tot he front and picked it up to 21 MPH. I was worried about Gina not having the mileage she used to have but she hung tough. I think the guy got tired but he pulled off so that gave me the op to hold a steady pace so she could recover. Ended up doing really well and she held on to impress the guys. Picked up a couple more along the way.

Ran into an old buddy from a local cycling forum. Haven't seen him in 8 years. Wen by CheckSix on the forums years ago.

20190811_111716-2.JPG
20190811_113027.JPG

Testerday Club run, and there where three of us.
As Ihad the Garmin with route sent by our absent leader, I ended up leading most of the time and it was a little windy

Ride was to Lockey Farm in Arborfield

Outward and return routes were fairly similar.
Outward via Windsor Great Park, Winkfield, Warfield, Binfield, skirting around Wokingham and down through Sindlesham

Return via some tiny lanes initially and Barkham, then much similar, going slightly moresouth at Winkfield Row

50.33 miles :@ 15.3 mph, 1877 feet vlimbed

https://www.strava.com/activities/2609770839

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
Yesterday's ride was a club ride from Bolsover out to Clumber and back in a loop. It was the Sunday Social so a nice, steady pace that suited all giving us time to chat and enjoy ourselves. A few hills thrown in with only one that was a bit of a challenge (it was fun whizzing down it on the way out), so a mostly flat route (or what counts as flat around here!).

Myself and the ride leader had a bacon sandwich at the café stop. The rest had coffee and cake. :hungry:

A fantastic ride in great company. What more could you ask for? ^_^

27 Smiles

Last edited:
Just a short ride in the company of Wiggy #2, the Chartres today as my legs still aren't playing ball after being stood pretzeled on a train on Friday night. But a gentle bimble was what I needed to work out some of the soreness.

Only an 8 mile round trip to an undisclosed location, but I now do have a pannier stuffed to the gunwales with filberts. :biggrin:

Another good instance of spotting things on a bike that you'd miss when in a car.

Top Bottom