Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Some photos from yesterday:
20190807_135317.jpg
Forth and Clyde canal
20190807_145944.jpg
Loch Lomond Shores with Ben Lomond in the distance
20190807_155325.jpg
Glen Fruin (shakes fist at @Slick)
20190807_162344.jpg
Summit of Glen Fruin looking west
20190807_170156.jpg 20190807_170209.jpg
Loch Long and Cowal from just outside RNAD Coulport (not daft enough to take photos while inside MOD property)
20190807_174258.jpg
Kilcreggan Ferry

Dave 123

Legendary Member
A murky, mizzly day in Devon. From Newton Ferrers and down to Yealmpton.
A turn into the lanes and up to Westlake. Myself and a land rover had to back up for the postie...

It was a bit drab at the top
0C4D353C-691D-4D50-AA34-ACBE53B303A4.jpeg

On down the hill to Ermington and some South Devon cattle in South Devon
84020113-C4B1-48F4-A024-4F9D1DCDC326.jpeg

Up through more lanes to Penquit, then more hills to Shilstone and Shipham Bridge.

Out of Modbury at Palm Cross Green and down the A379 until the Holbeton turn. Only I went via the tiny hamlet of Ford, then up the stiff climb out of Holbeton.
6AE9464B-35B5-447E-A89A-1411255E4E8B.jpeg

And back to Newton Ferrers
BC95CCB3-5175-4388-B289-3B6032E640C1.jpeg

25 murky miles

https://www.strava.com/activities/2600996608

Slick

Guru
Some photos from yesterday:
View attachment 479130
Forth and Clyde canal
View attachment 479131
Loch Lomond Shores with Ben Lomond in the distance
View attachment 479132
Glen Fruin (shakes fist at @Slick)
View attachment 479133
Summit of Glen Fruin looking west
View attachment 479134 View attachment 479135
Loch Long and Cowal from just outside RNAD Coulport (not daft enough to take photos while inside MOD property)
View attachment 479136
Kilcreggan Ferry
Admit it, you loved it. :okay:

Katherine

Guru
Mixed weather in Cornwall this week. I've only managed a few short rides and today, one more loop round the far southwest. Trying to beat the rain, I rode through some swirling mist but also a few brief intervals of blue skies. The roads are not only lumpy but also twisty so the stronger winds were sometimes across me, sometimes behind me and sometimes head on.
For the first time, I stopped to look at a stone circle called The Merry Maids.

PSX_20190808_185936.jpg

And some more ancient stones in Poldark country.
PSX_20190808_190207.jpg

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Been busy so two rides to report on again:

Tuesday: I'd missed a chance to get out when the weather was nice on Monday and really regretted it so got out earlyish to try and beat the forecast wet weather. Anticipating that I might get wet I used the knockabout bike and packed some waterproofs in case.

Busy traffic when I set out but when I did get a gap to get onto the main road it wasn't too bad. I mentioned having to adjust the saddle on this bike recently having realised that was what was making my hip hurt. After a couple of miles on this trip I realised that the saddle could go down a few mm more which feels better but might still need some fine tuning.

I was headed on a loop to Cardington then back via Harnage and Cound this time and had a fairly brisk headwind as far as the climb to Folly Bank so was quite slow. After Cardington I thought I'd head for Plaish as a change from the last few times I've been this way, then on reaching the village took a right towards Longville instead of the right-left that I usually would.

I picked up a decent tailwind from the Longville crossroads and got some good speed up to Hughley and on towards Harley before turning for Harnage Grange, Harnage and Cound.

Although I was going well I can't do the kind of pace on this bike that I can on the better ones so I took the more direct route back to Pitchford, Cantlop and Condover before enjoying a wind-assisted run the main road way to home.

33.6 miles at 13.4 mph average. Not too bad on this bike.

P8060443.JPG

The Royal Oak at Cardington.

P8060448.JPG

En route to Pitchford. Harvesting is underway here when the weather permits.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Today: An excellent day for riding and would have been good for my challenge ride if I hadn't been late last night. Never mind - I got out to enjoy the warmth and sunshine by heading through Condover and heading for Pontesbury, Habberley and (after a change of mind) up the lane to Westcott before turning towards Bridges and back via Ratlinghope, Darnford, High Park and Plush Hill.

I used the Raleigh today and got off to a good start as this bike feels so nice and quick. The A49 was busy again and when I turned off the lorry behind me came my way which was awkward. The driver was patient though and gave room when he came past (Trevor Pye Transport - they nearly always treat me nice :okay:).

Getting through Plealey to Pontesbury went pretty well then at Habberley I had the change of mind mentioned and decided that it would be great to carry on and head for Bridges. I needed to make rather a rapid stop at one point when I met a large tractor on a narrow corner. Left an impressive skid mark on the road there - just as well I've already got a replacement lined up for that back tyre. :whistle:

The road to Bridges was fairly quiet. I caught a couple of cyclists, although to be fair it looked like they were waiting for someone else to catch them up, then a bit further on caught up with a camper van that was going very cautiously shortly before I turned off. The Horseshoe at The Bridges was open but it wasn't even lunch time yet so I didn't pop in.

From this side the climb up to High Park isn't too steep so I trundled my way up the hill quite easily. I'd heard the sound of a helicopter most of the way up the valley and nearing Darnford found the reason why - there was one of the RAF Shawbury students practising very low level hovering in one of the fields. They were there for a while so I was able to grab a few photos.

The views from High Park were good today in the sunshine and the descent was enjoyable. I took a right and headed for Plush Hill where there are more panoramic views, then dropped down Castle Hill into All Stretton. The general trend from here to home is almost all downhill so I got some nice cruising speeds up on the way to Longnor where I decided to take the longer way through Acton Burnell.

From the forecast I should have had a light tailwind on the way home but today it felt more like a headwind and after the hills earlier I started to flag a little in the last few miles. Two lorries gave me a decent amount of room on the A49 section which was much appreciated.

36.7 miles for this one at 13.7 mph average.

P8080473.JPG

Pontesbury (I was actually going the other way to where the bike is facing but it stood up better this way round ;))

P8080475.JPG

Oil-seed Rape being harvested on the way to Habberley.

P8080479.JPG

Near Westcott.

P8080481.JPG

From a gateway at Stitt I can see that Farmer Phil's Music Festival is being set up.

P8080483.JPG

After The Bridges and on my way to Ratlinghope (pronounced Ratchup if you are local).

P8080485.JPG

Some serious low flying practice going on near Darnford.

P8080492.JPG

At Wildmoor Pool.

P8080494.JPG

View from High Park.

gavgav

Guru
With the weekend looking horrific, from a weather perspective, I’ve cancelled my planned trip to the caravan, in Wales, which means curtailed cycling plans for the umpteenth time this year. So I got out for a short ride, in the lovely warm sunshine, this evening, to at least get some riding in this week.

Headed out through the estate and the horrid short busy section on the A458, before getting onto lanes to Betton Abbots. Since I was last along here, probably only 3 weeks, there has been a huge construction site spring up and the framework for a massive warehouse style building appear. Don’t know what it’s going to be, but it’s a real blot on the landscape, even at this stage of infancy.

Continued along the lanes to Atcham, over the bridge and then took the road through the Attingham Park National Trust estate. A few too many cows to run the gauntlet with, in the grounds, many with calves, which always makes me nervous. They didn’t seem too bothered with me though.

Back onto the roads to Berwick Wharf, Upton Magna, Uffington and along the old canal path to Sundorne. It was still very busy on Sundorne Road and so I used the service road that runs alongside it, before dropping down the cycle paths from Heathgates.

Whilst travelling along the Bage Way cycle paths, I passed a woman coming the other way, on a bike, who proceeded to shout an obscenity at me, for no reason!! She was clearly a sandwich short of a picnic :headshake:

Continued on through Reabrook, Meole Roundabout and home with 15.9 miles on the clock at 13.0 mph

Wanted to take advantage of this window in the weather and catch up with a friend, so decided to kill two birds with one stone. After an early lunch (a very fine pork pie) I hopped onto Wiggy #2, the Chartres and set off in the afternoon sunshine for Mepal, 11 miles distant.

So out via Downham Common, into Downham proper, out the other end and along The Hythe. The road drops down to the fen floor and it's on to Way Head and then up the climb into Coveney. On the way, I spotted several yellowhammers and a roe buck boinging his way through a field. The view from Coveney across the fen is really quite spectacular.

IMG_0058_small.jpg

The photo doesn't quite do it justice if I'm honest. But the gap in the hedgerow (middle of pic) points the way to Ely Cathedral, which you can just about see on the horizon.

From Coveney, there's a drop and climb into Wardy Hill, which leads to some lovely rolling lanes all the way to Witcham - where you're greeted by what is for around here, a really steep sharp climb at the entry to the village. That negotiated, it's a left turn onto the road for Mepal, back down the hill, and the long drag upwards to Mepal proper.

Spent a couple of hours with my friend putting the world to rights over numerous cups of tea and having lots of cat cuddles. At half four, we left together - she to pick up her stepdaughter from the station and me to ride home.

Decided to take the long way home - first retracing my wheel tracks to Coveney, although I did stop, once near Witcham to pick up a spanner I found lying in the middle of the road (13mm, ring one end, open hex the other) and second, at the green in Wardy Hill to snaffle a banana and enjoy a bit of sun sitting on the bench.

In Coveney, I took West Fen Road, heading towards Ely. It's been a fair while since I've been that way, and it was nice to see newly planted hedgerows along the side of the road. And the road's been resurfaced, which made for a far more pleasant ride. Spotted a pair of swans and five cygnets paddling in one of the drains. So past Isle Vets and a short hop along the A10 to the leisure park. Left on the roundabout picks up the B1411 (NCN 11) and that takes me back towards Downham via the climb to Orwell Pit.

Rode along Brick Kiln Lane, California and Downham Common before heading to Pymoor and looping home via O Furlong. Those last few miles I was running a little out of gas and the knees were beginning to feel it, but still a very enjoyable ride nonetheless.

Loads of cyclists out and about, including some bods from Ely CC and one chap on a recumbent.

And everywhere you could see combining going on as farmers were working flat out to get the wheat in before the weather breaks. I did have to stop a fair few times on some of the narrower bits to let tractors and trailers past. Just part and parcel of living around here. Shame I didn't have any panniers, as there was SO much wheat spilled on the road. I could have filled up both my 20 litre bags with wheat... Just nuts really.

Anyway, not surprised I was running on empty, as I clocked up 27 miles in total. I should have taken more than just a banana... :blush:

But great to be out on such a wonderful summer afternoon. On days like today, cycling is the best thing in the world. :smile:

Been busy so two rides to report on again:

Tuesday: I'd missed a chance to get out when the weather was nice on Monday and really regretted it so got out earlyish to try and beat the forecast wet weather. Anticipating that I might get wet I used the knockabout bike and packed some waterproofs in case.

Busy traffic when I set out but when I did get a gap to get onto the main road it wasn't too bad. I mentioned having to adjust the saddle on this bike recently having realised that was what was making my hip hurt. After a couple of miles on this trip I realised that the saddle could go down a few mm more which feels better but might still need some fine tuning.

I was headed on a loop to Cardington then back via Harnage and Cound this time and had a fairly brisk headwind as far as the climb to Folly Bank so was quite slow. After Cardington I thought I'd head for Plaish as a change from the last few times I've been this way, then on reaching the village took a right towards Longville instead of the right-left that I usually would.

I picked up a decent tailwind from the Longville crossroads and got some good speed up to Hughley and on towards Harley before tirneing for Harnage Grange, Harnage and Cound.

Although I was going well I can't do the kind of pace on this bike that I can on the better ones so I took the more direct route back to Pitchford, Cantlop and Condover before enjoying a wind-assisted run the main road way to home.

33.6 miles at 13.4 mph average. Not too bad on this bike.

View attachment 479200
The Royal Oak at Cardington.

View attachment 479201
En route to Pitchford. Harvesting is underway here when the weather permits.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Today: An excellent day for riding and would have been good for my challenge ride if I hadn't been late last night. Neve mind - I got out to enjoy the warmth and sunshine by heading through Condover and heading for Pontesbury, Habberley and (after a change of mind) up the lane to Westcott before turning towards Bridges and back via Ratlinghope, Darnford, High Park and Plush Hill.

I used the Raleigh today and got off to a good start as this bike feels so nice and quick. The A49 was busy again and when I turned off the lorry behind me came my way which was awkward. The driver was patient though and gave room when he came past (Trevor Pye Transport - they nearly always treat me nice :okay:).

Getting through Plealey to Pontesbury went pretty well then at Habberley I had the change of mind mentioned and decided that it would be great to carry on and head for Bridges. I needed to make rather a rapid stop at one point when I met a large tractor on a narrow corner. Left an impressive skid mark on the road there - just as well I've already got a replacement lined up for that back tyre. :whistle:

The road to Bridges was fairly quiet. I caught a couple of cyclists, although to be fair it looked like they were waiting for someone else to catch them up, then a bit further on caught up with a camper van that was going very cautiously, before I turned off. The Horseshoe at The Bridges was open but it wasn't even lunch time yet so I didn't pop in.

From this side the climb up to High Park isn't too steep so I trundled my way up the hill quite easily. I'd heard the sound of a helicopter most of the way up the valley and nearing Darnford found the reason why - there was one of the RAF Shawbury students practising very low level hovering in one of the fields. They were there for a while so I was able to grab a few photos.

The views from High Park were good today in the sunshine and the descent was enjoyable. I too right and headed for Plush Hill where there are more panoramic views, then dropped down Castle Hill into All Stretton. The general trend from here to home is almost all downhill so I got some nice cruising speeds up on the way to Longnor where I decided to take the longer way through Acton Burnell.

From the forecast I should have had a light tailwind on the way home but today it felt more like a headwind and after the hills earlier I started to flag a little in the last few miles. Two lorries gave me a decent amount of room on the A49 section which was much appreciated.

36.7 miles for this one at 13.7 mph average.

View attachment 479215
Pontesbury (I was actually going the other way to where the bike is facing but it stood up better this way round ;))

View attachment 479216
Oil-seed Rape being harvested on the way to Habberley.

View attachment 479217
Near Westcott.

View attachment 479218
From a gateway at Stitt I can see that Farmer Phil's Music Festival is being set up.

View attachment 479219
After The Bridges and on my way to Ratlinghope (pronounced Ratchup if you are local).

View attachment 479220
Some serious low flying practice going on near Darnford.

View attachment 479221
At Wildmoor Pool.

View attachment 479222
View from High Park.
Those photos are fantastic!

Old jon

Guru
Damp and dismal, the weather. Not actually raining, I suppose the mist was wet. It is always interesting to see how much muck the tyres throw all over the bike, even on the outside of the mudguards, so I had to go for a ride. In the spirit of investigating muck chucking.

There are some roadworks which are stopping my usual left turn onto Crown Point Road so I rode a different way to reach Crown Point Bridge. What a faff! There are other ways to try. Up to Oakwood, passing the clock and wondering if riding the fixed up Boot Hill was a good idea. First time this year and only just good. I had to stop at the top, lungs labouring well. A bit further along is the right turn onto Red Hall Lane. Mind, turn left and go to the real Red Hall is also an option. Cross Coal Road and keep on until reaching Thorner Lane when a left turn takes you through, and down, Sandhills.

The climb out of Thorner, Church Hill, in the direction of Bramham, is short and steep but is followed by a fair distance of road that must be descending, a rest for tired legs. Until the climb out of Wothersome dip. Keep on to Bramham and ride through the village, taking the turn for Clifford. Pass the former convent, here I turned left for the shorter way to Boston Spa. Straight on goes to the same place, a different bit of Main Street. Another left and eventually the flyunder the A1 M is reached. I want to turn for Wetherby, which means choosing the righthand lane a lot earlier than might be comfortable, but was OK today. Exit Wattle Syke roundabout, at last, and return to the nearside lane to enjoy the twiddle down to Wetherby roundabout.

There are a few options to ride home from here, today was the turn of the easy option. Ride along the A 58 through Collingham, which still had flood warning signs up. No flood, no need to alter plans. Bardsey and East Rigton occupy opposite sides of the road a bit further on, ride down the hill remembering when there was a railway bridge there. There has to be something to take my mind off the long climb through Scarcroft I am just about to start. Halfway up, Ooohh! The pub is no longer the New Inn, just the Inn at Scarcroft. I bet that put the prices up. Reach the top, happily. Flat for a while then a dip to where Brandon Drain runs under the road, culverted I think but it does flood occasionally. Maybe runoff from fields above. Another up, down, and up again, back to the Ring Road. Briskly down the hill from there, and back home via the clock at Oakwood again. Across the Aire and the very final climb of the day to the end of the street where I live. Big smile, thirty one miles.

Slightly different map to the last time . . .

09082019.jpg

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
With horrendous weather forecasts for today I hadn't expected to get out, but the closer we got to the day the more it looked like there would be a window of opportunity so I made sure I took it.

I used the knockabout bike just in case the rain came in earlier than expected (and because after heavy overnight rain I knew that the bike would likely get quite mucky). The route was my regular Condover, Upton Magna, Walcot, Eaton Constantine, Cressage, Acton Burnell and Longnor one.

It was a struggle into the wind pretty much from the start so was quite glad to change direction at Condover and have a helping hand for a few miles. I took a detour through Attingham Park then picked up the tailwind again to Upton Magna. I had a crosswind on the way to Withington but it didn't seem to cause too much bother, then turned into the wind at Walcot, which didn't seem too bad initially but slowed me down a lot when I got to Bluebell Lane which is more exposed.

Shortly after Uppington I let an HGV pass me on the lane and regretted it very quickly as I had to wait for it to turn round and come back past me at the next junction. The driver appreciated me being patient though.

The climb and descent to Eaton Constantine was a slog this time as it was mostly directly into the wind and even the descent into Cressage wasn't quick. Thankfully the climb up Shore Lane was sheltered from the wind and I was back to a crosswind on the way to Cound Moor.

At Acton Burnell I considered taking the shorter way home but there was still no sign of the threatened rain and there was another cyclist (on a Moulton - you don't see many of those round here) heading towards Longnor so I went for it. I caught the other rider on the climb away from the village and we chatted for a while until he got where he was headed at Frodesley. It wasn't until after we parted that I twigged we'd met before - he had been riding a yellow recumbent trike on that occasion.

At Longnor the clouds to the south were starting to look threatening but I picked up the tailwind again so got wafted along with ease the rest of the way home.

A fraction under 35 miles (I couldn't be bothered to round it up this time) at 13.3 mph average.

We've been lucky that all the heavy rain has gone a few miles either side of us this afternoon, however while writing this I can hear thunder approaching.

P8090500.JPG

The Wrekin has its head in the clouds this morning as I head towards Cross Houses. The weather was surprisingly warm and very muggy while I was out riding.

P8090501.JPG

In Attingham Park.

P8090503.JPG

Between Eaton Constantine and Cressage, a clearer view of the Wrekin.

jongooligan

Legendary Member
Spent most of yesterday with David from Laid Back Bikes in Edinburgh. He took me on a tour of the city on a Nazca Gaucho recumbent.

Previously I'd only ridden one for fifteen minutes in a car park so was a bit nervous of riding in city traffic but David had planned an easy introduction of back streets and cycle paths down to the coast at Cramond.

48488295241_fc1d54784d_o.jpg

We stopped at the Boarwalk Beach Club cafe in Cramond for a brew and a bit of a chat about how I'd been getting on and what to expect from the next part of the route. Seeing as we were now at sea level I was expecting some climbing but again David had worked out the easy option and we got back up into the city mainly on old railway tracks so the gradients were quite undemanding.

Riding around the Fountainbridge/Haymarket area though was very demanding for me. David made it look easy but I found low speed maneuvering very difficult and at one busy junction I managed to clout the handlebars with my shin, sending me wobbling towards the oncoming traffic. No dramas though - brakes on, feet down and hobby horse out of the way until the traffic cleared and I could get on my way.

Some thoughts, firstly on comfort:

Years gone by I used to see a recumbent rather often along the A 659, Pool to Otley stretch. These days they are rarely seen by me. Never appealed, supporting all your weight on your backside.

Don't know whether you've tried on @Old jon but they are the most comfortable bikes I've ridden. I've been troubled lately with neck, shoulder, back and wrist pains but on a recumbent none of these areas is pressured or stressed. The weight isn't on your backside but spread along your spine and pelvis. It's like reclining in one of those Lazy Boy chairs. Wonderfully relaxing.

However, the handlebar/shin interface shouldn't be an interface at all. I hit them more times than I'd like and I've got some bonny bruises on my shins today. That's something to eliminate if I'm going to buy one so I've asked David if I can try one with a tiller rather than handlebars next time.

Going uphill was a right grunt and made me realise I was using my leg muscles rather differently than I do on an upright. Needs further exploration.

Secondly, riding in traffic was a nervous experience for me but seeing David slalom through the city encourages me that it's just a matter of familiarisation. I'm not nervous on an upright bike in traffic, having commuted to various bits of the Toon over the last thirty years so I think I'd overcome my nerves in time.

Drivers generally seemed to give us a wide berth. Didn't have any close passes at all.

Thirdly, cost. They're flipping expensive. There are no economies of scale from mass production so they're never going to be cheap unless we all buy one. Can't see that happening so I'm going to have to think long and hard about how much one of these will extend my riding before I commit to buying one.

Bit of a long post and not much of it about the ride but it's helped me organise my own thoughts.

gavgav

Guru
With horrendous weather forecasts for today I hadn't expected to get out, but the closer we got to the day the more it looked like there would be a window of opportunity so I made sure I took it.

I used the knockabout bike just in case the rain came in earlier than expected (and because after heavy overnight rain I knew that the bike would likely get quite mucky). The route was my regular Condover, Upton Magna, Walcot, Eaton Constantine, Cressage, Acton Burnell and Longnor one.

It was a struggle into the wind pretty much from the start so was quite glad to change direction at Condover and have a helping hand for a few miles. I took a detour through Attingham Park then picked up the tailwind again to Upton Magna. I had a crosswind on the way to Withington but it didn't seem to cause too much bother, then turned into the wind at Walcot, which didn't seem too bad initially but slowed me down a lot when I got to Bluebell Lane which is more exposed.

Shortly after Uppington I let an HGV pass me on the lane and regretted it very quickly as I had to wait for it to turn round and come back past me at the next junction. The driver appreciated me being patient though.

The climb and descent to Eaton Constantine was a slog this time as it was mostly directly into the wind and even the descent into Cressage wasn't quick. Thankfully the climb up Shore Lane was sheltered from the wind and I was back to a crosswind on the way to Cound Moor.

At Acton Burnell I considered taking the shorter way home but there was still no sign of the threatened rain and there was another cyclist (on a Moulton - you don't see many of those round here) heading towards Longnor so I went for it. I caught the other rider on the climb away from the village and we chatted for a while until he got where he was headed at Frodesley. It wasn't until after we parted that I twigged we'd met before - he had been riding a yellow recumbent trike on that occasion.

At Longnor the clouds to the south were starting to look threatening but I picked up the tailwind again so got wafted along with ease the rest of the way home.

A fraction under 35 miles (I couldn't be bothered to round it up this time) at 13.3 mph average.

We've been lucky that all the heavy rain has gone a few miles either side of us this afternoon, however while writing this I can hear thunder approaching.

View attachment 479304
The Wrekin has its head in the clouds this morning as I head towards Cross Houses. The weather was surprisingly warm and very muggy while I was out riding.

View attachment 479305
In Attingham Park.

View attachment 479306
Between Eaton Constantine and Cressage, a clearer view of the Wrekin.

Good job you were back before 16:00!! I don’t think I’ve ever seen a Thunderstorm with rain that bad before :eek: and the clap of thunder as I was leaving work caused people to come running out of their offices believing the roof had been struck!

Top Bottom