Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mike_P

Guru
With a weather warning for the afternoon today I embarked on a rare morning ride, and with relatively quiet roads opted for the A61 south through Harrogate, so passed the Royal Hall on a section of Ripon Road that is not on the UCI circuit; that comes in from the right at the traffic lights and turns right to go up hill to the finish line, the wrong way in terms of the one-way system.
Harrogate 040819.jpg

Once out of town centre the road surface was not that good a nick, decending Almsford Bank was managed without getting a puncture despite the ruts and bumps.
Almsford Bank.jpg

Then took the A658 to Huby to join a much traversed route east through Dunkeswick. Instead of looping round through Kirkby Overblow decided to try the climb of Moor Lane
Moor Lane 040819.jpg

The initial, and longest, section was fine before levelling out slightly and going up again with a curve to the right –the inclination of that latter short section was such that Shanks’s Pony was a better option. Thence to Wetherby on the undulating route through Sicklinghall where there was a wait along with a car and motorbike as three horses plodded in opposite direction past parked cars.

Managed to take a wrong turning in Wetherby and ended up on the York road rather than that to Thorpe Arch so once again along the scenically challenged bypass.

Nearly missed the turning in Walton as well, looking at the modern road signs wondering why there was no mention of some places I only just spotted a rather dull old type direction sign. The road north east out of Walton remains a rough ride, you can pick out individual stones in its surface.

Once across the Wetherby-York road I headed to Tockwith along Southfield Lane, a single track road with more passing places than similar roads far longer. Turned west through Cowthorpe and on the climb up to bridge over the A1(M) the chain and small chainwheel had a disagreement; thankfully I managed to unclip before the bike toppled too much. Chain back on chainwheel and a new fast time to the Knaresborough bypass – followed that and through Calcutt like a couple of weeks back but this time subsequently headed north west making use of the Starbeck branch of NCN67. The bypass had much opposition went built as it dissects Birkham Wood in half.
Birkham Wood.jpg

42.20 miles (MHC no.21 of the year) 2083ft climbed, avg 13.6 mph.
040819 route.jpg
040819 ele.jpg

Last edited:
Day 4, too tired to words. 43 miles, revisited Day 3's route, but because it was somewhat cooler and I knew what to expect, I was able to do the climb and even tried my hand at a bit of off-roading at the top - if it had stayed gravel I'd have been fine but my 23s never stood a chance against the bigger stones.

Lost 1 kg of fluid weight between leaving and returning - hooray for being a sweaty fatboi.

Rest day tomorrow.
upload_2019-8-4_19-34-12.png upload_2019-8-4_19-33-56.png
upload_2019-8-4_19-34-54.png
upload_2019-8-4_19-46-36.png

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Back on this thread, finally did some fun rides instead of the usual commute to work.
Friday, joined the Freewheel North on the Green ride to Dumbarton.
Easy peasy, one thinks, just 20 flat miles along the cycle path.
Well, it fairy knackered me haha! Our young and fit Eilidth in loco of the usual, sedate, ride leader kept a fair brisk pace of ... gulp! ... 13mph!
My first 40 miles in one go in a good couple of months, one is not as young as one used to be :whistle:
A few pictures for you, any excuse to stop :laugh:
IMG_20190802_110851560.jpg

At Clydebank: the sweet looking lassie in the yellow hi-viz is Eilidth, one of the most energetic Glasgow ride leaders.
IMG_20190802_123800013.jpg

A feature of Levengrove park, in Dumbarton. Highly recommend this destination if you're local, a lovely cycle along the Loch Lomond path, turn left at the bridge instead of right. Great views of the river Leven and of the Dumbarton Rock.
IMG_20190802_124319538.jpg

IMG_20190802_133308508.jpg

The canal at Bowling
IMG_20190802_143840824.jpg

IMG_20190802_144458587.jpg

Along the river Clyde.
It was an overcast day, but quite hot.

Today, instead of getting up early enough to join the more challenging GoBike ride to Erskine :blush: I went to see what was happening in Glasgow town: the BC Let's Ride event, a family friendly 5km circuit of the city centre on closed roads, starting at Glasgow Green.
It was a great morning out, even the forecast thunderstorms stayed away.
Met a few friends, took lots of pictures, bimbled it away to make it up to 20 miles.
As in all closed roads events, it was good to see lots of young ones on their bikes, riding where they normally can't.
Find Mrs and Mr @Slick in my album ^_^
I found an Ooor Wullie to match my PoP Tee!
OW.jpg

35 miles with Gina and a friend today. I sat at the front the entire time setting a steady pace for Gina. That dude gets a free ride way too often! :hyper:

Gina did very well, on the comeback trail. I increased the mileage a few miles. She finished stronger than the last couple of weeks on slightly shorter distances so that's a good sign.

Average temp 89 degrees, high of 93.

About 15 miles into the ride.

DSCN0971.JPG
DSCN0972.JPG

I feel bad as most only see her dirty gritty sweaty pics so here's a pic of what she looks like without the bugs on her face! :tongue:

IMG_7688A-700.JPG

Last edited:
Club run today but we were depleted - just 2 showed so we decided on a shorter run to Mytchett
Slightly hilly but nothing really tough

Again I managed on my Garmin Edge 1030 despite pausing it to end the first ride so started a new one for the return
Must try to master the thing properly

Out through Chobham and Bisley and returning through Brookwood and Chobham again.
Stopped at canalside cafe at Mytchett.

Overall 39.2 miles @ 16.0 mph , 1112 feet climbed.
https://www.strava.com/activities/2589106237
and
https://www.strava.com/activities/2589607958

Old jon

Guru
Some cloud this morning, but still warm with a bit of breeze. It would be a shame to miss this chance of a ride so take the fixed and ride away.

That space between my ears was holding a lot of confusion this morning. Where to go? Which roads to ride there? What about closed roads? That sort of thing, which was translated into calm as me and the bike wandered around Holbeck yet again and an idea of initial direction was had. Back to the flatlands, starting off along Great Wilson Street aiming towards John o’ Gaunts. At this time in the morning, ten or so, the roads are pretty quiet. The noisiest thing around was me gasping for breath pedalling up the hills. Then the downhill through Woodlesford, turn left onto the A 642 and after crossing both river and canal start the uphill village that is Swillington.

Garforth is next, and the ‘orrible roundabout. Always busy and I want to ride threequarters of the way around it, to the A 63 in the direction of Selby. Not far along here is Garforth Cliff, and this morning it felt steep enough to be one. Then the road levels, through Peckfield Bar and at the next roundabout turn right again. This one is normally, and today, quiet. Half a mile or so and there is a left turn onto the B 1222. This stretch was known as Sherburn Bends, ah, but that was then. Its fun on a bike as well.

Into the village of Sherburn, down most of Church Hill and turn left at Cowbell Corner. Nope, I have never seen or heard cowbells around here, but that is what the sign says. A quiet road again, squiggles a bit on the way to Cold Hill Farm and then bends right and left to climb what I guess is Cold Hill. It was not cold this morning. Lotherton Gates next, at the end of the road after a left turn. Next right and its up and down again to Aberford, and another right turn to reach the end of Cattle Lane. This leads to Barwick, it always seems to be more up than down along here. It is good riding though, good looking countryside, enough bends to vary the view every minute or less. Even the last bit to the maypole, but the road levels there. Breathing returns to almost normal, leaving the village on the way to Scholes is a little easier than arriving from Cock Beck.

Ride all the way through Scholes, to the A 64. Left, and soon right onto Thorner Lane, next left to Skeltons Lane. Cross Coal Road and ride along Red Hall Lane to the A 58. And my quick bit of a few rides, down Boot Hill. Another right turn to pass the spare park gates, then Oakwood Clock and the pedal down Roundhay Road towards the town centre. But not that far, a left takes me over Crown Point Bridge and onto the average way home. The sun was shining, thirty four miles ridden and the grin. Very enjoyable morning.

Strange shapes the roads make . . .

05082019.jpg

TeeShot

Veteran
597B584B-3F59-494C-916A-244DFF5C698B.jpeg
3DBB3BF9-D5A3-4D8B-818A-DFEBAB14F210.jpeg
935136F9-D064-4539-B1D0-31BB2D54FF87.jpeg
686F3575-1757-44BF-8CC0-992BAA42CD8C.jpeg
I put the bike in the van and drove over to Delamere this morning. Met Dave and Pete and enjoyed a lovely 35 mile round trip. Took in Beeston castle, the poshness of Tarporley and lastly the Station cafe in Delamere. A bit of up and down with some great views of the Welsh hills one way and the Cat and Fiddle the other way

Mr Celine

Discordian
First ride in over three weeks due to a holiday without bike in furrin parts. A bright and breezy day and a bit fresher after last night's thunderstorm. One stop for photo, in Ettrickdale about two miles before Tushielaw.

IMG_20190805_150848[1].jpg

Three weeks off the bike must have done some good. Check out that max speed!! :bicycle: :becool:

upload_2019-8-5_17-44-13.png

The map -

upload_2019-8-5_17-45-57.png

I think something went a bit wrong with Strava. It's added an uphill northwesterly spur at the start of my ride that I have no recollection of doing. (I also have no recollection of doing a ton).

14 sunny but very blustery miles this afternoon in the company of Wiggy #2, the Chartres.

It sort of started out as a utility ride to the quack in Littleport to drop off mum's prescription, but the traffic on the roundabout on the Wisbech Road was so heavy, it would have taken forever to cross over. So much easier to follow the flow of traffic left onto the A10 and ride up all the way to Black Horse (I had to stop at the level crossing for a Kings Lynn-bound train).

Right turn on the roundabout at the top, over the River Ouse, and down Branch Bank. After riding along the bank a ways, it's a right turn and back over the River. I stopped for a moment on The Swan to take in the view along the river, watch the boats and grab a drink. From there, it's back into Littleport proper along Victoria Street, Granby Street and Station Road.

Swing right by St George's to pick up Parson's Lane. I stopped off at the surgery to drop off said prescription. People do look at you as if you're an alien, turning up on a bike, but it doesn't half make me feel smug - and virtuous. :girldance:

From there, it's back onto the Wisbech Road, down Black Bank and along Downham Common.

While I was out, the wind switched direction, and I had one hell of a Dutch Hill to negotiate along Black Bank on the homeward leg. Ouch. The joy of cycling in the fens... :cry:

Loads of cyclists out and about today, all variously cordial, and no four-wheeled numpties.

And the post-ride cuppa tastes fabby. :biggrin:

AndreaJ

Veteran
Yesterdays ride, but having a new puppy is like having a small child in the house again as she needs constant supervision and you have to wait for her to have a nap to get anything done! I had a vague plan where I was going but it was a route I haven't been on before though if I got lost could just pick a sign and head for somewhere I knew, it also involved more riding on the " proper roads" than the usual lanes I use. I headed towards The Moat Shed to start then turned towards Waterloo and onto Edstsaston where I carried on to join the Whitchurch-Wem road into Wem turning towards the station and over the crossing, past the cricket club and turned to Aston, through to Barkers Green onto the Shawbury road back towards Wem but turned for Tilley, Nonely, Brandwood then left up the bank to turn to Baschurch. where I hoped the turning back to Burlton was the one I thought would come out by the pub, which it was, crossed the road heading for Loppington but added a short detour to English Frankton before reaching Loppington and turning for home. Although the roads were busier than my usual routes most drivers were surprisingly considerate. Very warm and a bit breezy, 24.6 miles, average speed 16.4mph, lots of cyclists, runners and dog walkers out.

Top Bottom