Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Birdie

20190802_160122.jpg Just a short one to Shustoke reservoir and then half in the pub! Phew, it was a lot hotter than they forecast :sweat:

Last edited:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
As @gavgav has already reported; a good ride out this afternoon in a loop round to Melverley. Nice conditions for the trip and nice company.

I liked seeing the pony and trap.:thumbsup: Would have preferred seeing a little less of the motor traffic - it's not usually as busy as that down the lanes.

Not having worked on a low spoke-count wheel before, I was on tenterhooks every time there was a pop or twang as the tyre ran over something. At the end of the trip though the rim is still as true as it was on the stand.^_^

My distance for the day ended up as 37.1 miles. Average speed matched Gav's at 12.3 mph. Top speed was 30.1 which I think was from the descent between Great Ness and Pentre.

I only took the one pic today and have managed to capture Gav making a face, so won't embarrass him by showing that. But might save it for later.:whistle:

Denis99

Über Member
Thanks.

It was new old stock, that Condor were selling.

26” wheels, but a much better fit for me , coming from my previous Woodrup ( which was a little too long in the top tube).

Very nice, stable, excellent quality, was simply a matter of swapping the components over.

gavgav

Guru
As @gavgav has already reported; a good ride out this afternoon in a loop round to Melverley. Nice conditions for the trip and nice company.

I liked seeing the pony and trap.:thumbsup: Would have preferred seeing a little less of the motor traffic - it's not usually as busy as that down the lanes.

Not having worked on a low spoke-count wheel before, I was on tenterhooks every time there was a pop or twang as the tyre ran over something. At the end of the trip though the rim is still as true as it was on the stand.^_^

My distance for the day ended up as 37.1 miles. Average speed matched Gav's at 12.3 mph. Top speed was 30.1 which I think was from the descent between Great Ness and Pentre.

I only took the one pic today and have managed to capture Gav making a face, so won't embarrass him by showing that. But might save it for later.:whistle:
:laugh: I was chewing on Chocolate at the time and so it could be anything!

Stupidly clicked "Join challenge" on all 3 of the Strava cycling challenges (distance, longest ride, elevation gain) on Strava yesterday and then came up with a tracking spreadsheet, in an attempt to get myself some level of form, having been well off the boil for 3 years now and constantly battling the encroachment of 16 stone.

After a failed start yesterday following several visits from the nameless fairy within the space of 2 miles, today I went to the local outdoor "velodrome", and knocked out 29 sunny miles on my clunker of a Triban. It was somewhat eventful - lots of inline skaters and at one point the strongest of them ducked into my slipstream and held my wheel at ~22mph, alarming at first but once I realised that he was in complete control I was happy to give him a tow for a few laps.

Unfortunately for my pride, shortly afterwards a ridiculously fit triathlete turned up and the rest of the ride consisted of me being lapped by her every 2 or so laps.
Curse tnis fragile masculinity. :laugh::cry:

Jenkins

Legendary Member
I'd booked today off work earlier in the week due to a lack of enthusiasm for getting up at 5:30am again. Somehow I managed to spend the whole morning doing absolutely nothing so it wasn't until gone 12:30 that I managed to get out on the bike. Nothing special, just a quick 50 miler out through Nacton and Ipswich and on into the countryside around Henley, Gosbeck & Helmingham before turning back for home via Ashbocking, Grundisburgh, Tudenham St. Martin and Rushmere St. Andrew. I could get used to not working a full week :laugh:
https://www.strava.com/activities/2584236432
Screenshot_2019-08-02 So much better than being at work Ride Strava.png
Screenshot_2019-08-02 So much better than being at work Ride Strava(1).png

Katherine

Guru
PSX_20190802_214017.jpg

My reward for the hills.

I've been in Cornwall for a week and until today, I'd only had a short rides.
So today I rode my favourite route around the war westward corner of the country, a Cornish coast to coast! Starting this morning with views of the sea at Marazion, Penzance, Newlyn, Mousehole, then inland slightly, to avoid the scary hairpin descent near Porthcurno, through villages of Paul and St. Buryan before seeing more views of the sea at Sennen.
I didn't actually visit the actual site of Lands End itself, preferring to have lunch at a delightful cafe in Sennen.
PSX_20190802_124249.jpg

Then it was all along the top with stunning views all the way through lots of quiet villages, turning South again, just before St. Ives and back to Marazion.
PSX_20190802_214404.jpg

PSX_20190802_124230.jpg

I made good use of the full range of gears on my triple rings, especially the very highest and the very lowest as I seemed to be either climbing or descending most of the time.
Screenshot_20190802-234206.png

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Dragged myself out of bed early today and was at Kentmere Church (Lake District) by just after 7am - I like it there as it's nice and peaceful and the road to Kentmere is a gentle rise over a few miles and then a nice whizz back down towards Staveley.

Met a lovely lady called Sue and we chatted for quite a while - she is new to the Lake District and has organised the first ever Kentmere Ceilidh for this evening if anyone is interested.

As we all know cycling is all about the bike ^_^ here's my very comfy steed with Trek's rear isospeed for added bongy-ness in the bum area. Seems to work a treat:

Kent1.jpg

Kentmere is very scenic but its church is a bit drab tbh:

Kent2.jpg

Looking up to the head of the valley and towards the hills/mountains:

Kent3.jpg

And in t'other direction down the valley. Sheep were making a fair racket - maybe they were happy that today was lovely and dry after all the rain we have had this week:

Kent4.jpg

Next stop Morrisons and Aldi for some shopping and then 10 mile hike with Lovely Wife.

Have a nice weekend everyone.

PS: pic's are crappy cos they were taken on crappy old Nokia that I really can't be bothered to replace.

PPS: 22 miles in just under 1.5 hours which is good for my old body.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I phone my stepson last night asking if he wanted to go for a ride today. "Yes" he said but can we make it early. My type of early is 9am but he preferred earlier so I said 8.30 if I can get up that early. Anyway, I managed it and was ready to hit the road at 8.15. We covered just short of 42 miles all together but had a bit of an incident on the way back. Going up a very steep section, I was swerving a bit, as one does in those situations ( they even do it in the TdF) and my stepson decided to pass me on my right, unknown to me. Somehow, as he was just along side me, he managed to fall off his bike and bruised his elbow. Of course, he blamed me for it and took off,sulking I presume. I didn't see him again till I got to his house. I think he was still in a bad mood then. Oh well, it is one of those things isn't it? He will get over it and will probably stay a bit further back next time. The ride was good though and I enjoyed it.

Last edited:

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Today's participants were John G, Jules H, Steve E, Pete M, Sara P, Margaret PR and little old me. The call was for the Trioscape at Highleadon so we took the traditional route for Redmarley. Dave W from the Worcester St Johns Club was just leaving the cafe after checking it out for a future club run. We sat outdoors for our refreshments. Our run back was traditional too. Up onto Woolridge for a leg stretcher. We upped the pace along the Hams and had a bit of a play on some ups. Steve called a pub refreshment in Upton at the end. Pete and I rode back after that. Nice wee outing today in good company. 54 smiles

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I didn't type it up yesterday, as my phone was flat, but...
Carlisle to Newcastle Part 2.
After doing Carlisle to Haydon Bridge on Day 1, I carried on to Newcastle. This was a lot flatter than the first part of the ride, and I enjoyed the ride a lot more. The lack of a mile of 1:7 hill might have had something to do with that.
I could have done without a visitation from the fairy mid-ride. Fortunately, I was near a cafe, so I had a picnic table to work on, and I could get washed afterwards. And have a mahoosive piece of carrot cake for lunch.
The rest of the ride was dead flat, along the river.
I got to the Minellium Bridge just too late to see it opening and closing. I did, however, ride over it :biggrin:
The boat trip up the Tyne was good too - under all the bridges.
I'll be back.

Top Bottom