Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
If only I hadn't just bought one.

There’s a bloke on the KP fb group who’s got eight!

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
A holiday morning ride out on someone else's route found on RWGPS yesterday, first thing. We're staying in the Morbihan area of Brittany, inland whilst our boys are fishing and the rest of us are relaxing, out on our bikes on the Voie Verte, and enjoying the swimming pool. Off to the beach today.
IMG_20190730_161439187_BURST006.jpg
IMG_20190731_095107_317.jpg
FB_IMG_1564506289026.jpg
strava4757641149671708550.jpg

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
An unexpected ride today. The original plan for the day was called off so I was free to get some mileage in. I opted for a ride to the Stiperstones and over the Long Mynd, timed to meet up with my parents who would be having a day out in Church Stretton.

It was a bit grey and gloomy at the start but that didn't matter too much. A northwesterly wind helped at the start but was a bit of a nuisance for much of the rest of the ride.

I was on the Raleigh this time and the changes in setup made last time out felt quite good, in particular it feels easier to hustle along on the flat.

The roads were a little bit busy as I made my way from Condover to Exfords Green, Plealey, Pontesbury and Minsterley. At Plox Green the climbing starts and initially I found it quite an effort as I may have pushed on a bit too quick at the start. After a pause at Snailbeach it started getting easier though and I enjoyed the trip as I wound my way up through Stiperstones village, Tankerville and Pennerley. The last couple of times I've been up here the visitor centre at The Bog has been closed. Today, when I was on a schedule so couldn't fit in a stop there it was of course open.:laugh:

I had a pause at the top of the climb for a drink and cake that I had with me and chatted briefly to a couple of cyclists who had come up from the Pulverbatch side, then continued down the hill being a bit wary of the sheep lurking about on the edges of the road.

At the Bridges I took a right and headed towards Wentnor, which I haven't done for a while, and along the Prolley Moor to Asterton where the big climb of the day lurked. I haven't tried the climb up Asterton Bank on this bike since fitting my new super-low climbing gear more than a year ago. I thought I'd breeze up the climb but with legs already tired from the Stiperstones it didn't quite work out like that. I selected the lowest gear too early on in the climb where it's really steep and struggled to keep the front wheel on the ground. I'd have been better being one gear higher and standing on the pedals. I struggled to get into a rhythm and when a car came up behind me I had to pull over to let them pass (most cars take up the entire width of tarmac on this climb). I then struggled to get going again but once I did was able to wind my way to the top without another stop.

The wind was against me across the top of the Long Mynd but I got on steadily enough then after a detour to the summit, headed for the Burway and the descent into Church Stretton (quite a slow descent today - blooming motorists holding up the traffic :whistle:) where a cafe lunch was partaken at the Hollybush - very nice, especially as I don't usually do this on my rides.

After lunch I headed back along my familiar route through All Stretton, Hollyhurst and on towards Longnor. I decided to extend the ride by going through Acton Burnell, Pitchford and Cantlop then took the main road way after Condover. I had a headwind for most of this but still got along at a fairly brisk pace. Nearing home I noticed that I wasn't far off 45 miles so added a loop of the village to round it up.

Nice to see quite a few cyclists out this time, in fact, between All Stretton and Condover I probably saw more cycles than cars.^_^

45.2 miles at 13.2 mph average which isn't bad on this hilly route.

P8010417.JPG

The Stiperstones Inn.

P8010419.JPG

Near Tankerville and looking back at where I've climbed from.

P8010423.JPG

En route to The Bog.

P8010427.JPG

Old milestone at the Bridges.

P8010429.JPG

The Crown at Wentnor.

P8010430.JPG

It's hard to ignore the hill I need to climb as I reach Asterton.

P8010433.JPG

Looking back towards Asterton at the point where I had to let the car past.

P8010435.JPG

Made it to the top.:hyper:

P8010438.JPG

Up at the summit of the Long Mynd.

P8010440.JPG

On my way down the other side now and looking forward to my cafe stop.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
An unexpected ride today. The original plan for the day was called off so I was free to get some mileage in. I opted for a ride to the Stiperstones and over the Long Mynd, timed to meet up with my parents who would be having a day out in Church Stretton.

It was a bit grey and gloomy at the start but that didn't matter too much. A northwesterly wind helped at the start but was a bit of a nuisance for much of the rest of the ride.

I was on the Raleigh this time and the changes in setup made last time out felt quite good, in particular it feels easier to hustle along on the flat.

The roads were a little bit busy as I made my way from Condover to Exfords Green, Plealey, Pontesbury and Minsterley. At Plox Green the climbing starts and initially I found it quite an effort as I may have pushed on a bit too quick at the start. After a pause at Snailbeach it started getting easier though and I enjoyed the trip as I wound my way up through Stiperstones village, Tankerville and Pennerley. The last couple of times I've been up here the visitor centre at The Bog has been closed. Today, when I was on a schedule so couldn't fit in a stop there it was of course open.:laugh:

I had a pause at the top of the climb for a drink and cake that I had with me and chatted briefly to a couple of cyclists who had come up from the Pulverbatch side, then continued down the hill being a bit wary of the sheep lurking about on the edges of the road.

At the Bridges I took a right and headed towards Wentnor, which I haven't done for a while, and along the Prolley Moor to Asterton where the big climb of the day lurked. I haven't tried the climb up Asterton Bank on this bike since fitting my new super-low climbing gear more than a year ago. I thought I'd breeze up the climb but with legs already tired from the Stiperstones it didn't quite work out like that. I selected the lowest gear too early on in the climb where it's really steep and struggled to keep the front wheel on the ground. I'd have been better being one gear higher and standing on the pedals. I struggled to get into a rhythm and when a car came up behind me I had to pull over to let them pass (most cars take up the entire width of tarmac on this climb). I then struggled to get going again but once I did was able to wind my way to the top without another stop.

The wind was against me across the top of the Long Mynd but I got on steadily enough then after a detour to the summit, headed for the Burway and the descent into Church Stretton (quite a slow descent today - blooming motorists holding up the traffic :whistle:) where a cafe lunch was partaken at the Hollybush - very nice, especially as I don't usually do this on my rides.

After lunch I headed back along my familiar route through All Stretton, Hollyhurst and on towards Longnor. I decided to extend the ride by going through Acton Burnell, Pitchford and Cantlop then took the main road way after Condover. I had a headwind for most of this but still got along at a fairly brisk pace. Nearing home I noticed that I wasn't far off 45 miles so added a loop of the village to round it up.

Nice to see quite a few cyclists out this time, in fact, between All Stretton and Condover I probably saw more cycles than cars.^_^

45.2 miles at 13.2 mph average which isn't bad on this hilly route.

View attachment 478048
The Stiperstones Inn.

View attachment 478049
Near Tankerville and looking back at where I've climbed from.

View attachment 478050
En route to The Bog.

View attachment 478051
Old milestone at the Bridges.

View attachment 478052
The Crown at Wentnor.

View attachment 478053
It's hard to ignore the hill I need to climb as I reach Asterton.

View attachment 478054
Looking back towards Asterton at the point where I had to let the car past.

View attachment 478055
Made it to the top.:hyper:

View attachment 478056
Up at the summit of the Long Mynd.

View attachment 478059
On my way down the other side now and looking forward to my cafe stop.
Love your posts, they bring back happy memories of the Longmynd Hike

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Just done about 45 miles from Carlisle to Haydon Bridge. On the Brompton. It was hot and very hilly.
I'm now showered and slumped on the bed, prior to staggering downstairs for some food and lots to drink.
I'm going to Belgium next time! :biggrin:

TeeShot

Veteran
ED9E368A-5241-4EE1-95A5-6C7746C6B0B7.jpeg
The gent on the right was 80 in June this year. To mark the occasion it was suggested we do an 80k ride during the summer.
By accident today was the day. We met near Altrincham and headed towards High Legh garden centre. A few diversions around some flooded roads meant we went a bit further than planned. With the weather still good we rode through the lanes to Goostrey and a stop at the trading post for tea and pies. As we headed back towards Wilmslow the heavens opened. I continued through Wilmslow to home whilst they went through the airport tunnels and back to Sale. Our octogenarian had covered 51 miles by the time he got home soaked to the skin. Worthy of a write up I thought
Have to make the next ride a hilly one

colly

Re member eR
Up early again this morning and seeing as I have not been out riding since, .....well, since the last time I went out, I thought the cool morning air would be conducive to my well being. I couldn't really decide where to go so I opted for a few down and up and back again loops of 'Little Switzerland' in Gledhow Valley Woods. Just over a mile from home.

In all it was 12 repeats which while being rather 'samey' as you might expect, it does induce a kind of zen like feeling, and the ride was not without incident.
On my very last ascent up the Lidgett Lane side of the woods I heard a sharp crack and 20m up the road a tree toppled over and fell across the road. The morning was still and calm so it must just have been the natural time for it to give up the ghost. Had I been 20m further on and I might just have joined it.

It wasn't a massive tree and as I got off and pushed around it I did give it a tug to see if I could pull it to one side. No chance.

All in all 16.5 miles and 2700ft of upwards.

View: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/38046330

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Popped down to the farm shop today, cross country on the way out, road on the way back, needed a couple of bits and stayed for a cuppa and a jam tart . About 2.5 miles on the Kingpin.

1524DB96-1049-4620-8936-6CA4C12F2B08.jpeg

The Orchard.

342E3121-9D33-4A40-A357-7524B3CF7049.jpeg

Lots of maize.

F169D636-197D-4AD1-B6F3-A7A4D0FF5FDB.jpeg

BC540DE8-FBE6-42EF-B5C2-9DB39EEB7760.jpeg

Saw this lovely Zodiac in the farm shop car park.
4F42C59F-DAC9-47E6-BE14-5DBB0A9FC6B8.jpeg

6423B25C-C0A1-4539-B7DD-E8869129665F.jpeg

CFF2FB9A-FE2D-46FF-B246-A34C7B5F1B48.jpeg

Attachments

• 61C168A9-4D9A-42EA-A61B-A82F0F27C0E3.jpeg
    61C168A9-4D9A-42EA-A61B-A82F0F27C0E3.jpeg
    285.8 KB · Views: 4

Old jon

Guru
Yet another morning just made for cycling. Reasonable temperature, dry, and the sort of calm that barely moves the leaves on the trees. Off I went, with various intentions. These are a bit like New Year’s resolutions, sound good but rarely fulfilled.

The ride started, as almost always, through the dereliction of Holbeck. Onto the towpath at Office Lock and ride along until Viaduct Road is reached. No traffic lights this way, come to that no traffic either. The viaduct supports the train line to Harrogate, and the ride crosses over and under that later on. But first it is up Cardigan Road all the way to Headingley. A busy part of Leeds, but nothing to hinder riding through and on upwards to the Ring Road at Lawnswood. Keep straight on and miss the first intention of turning left and riding up to Cookridge. A little further on I turned right, into Adel and then navigated to that drag up the eastern side of Golden Acre Park. Which took me to what my map calls Arthington Bank but I have always called Black Hill.

The road was carrying quite a bit of farmer’s fields, blame the recent rain, and lower down is decorated with too much ironmongery to really let the bike go. I was cautious. Turn left at the bottom, heading for Pool after passing under the Arthington Viaduct. Harrogate train line again.

Do others of us have rides where things seem just sluggish? Up to this point the bike, or the rider, felt a little slow. Turn onto the A 659 and more briskness suddenly appeared. Odd, but no complaints from me. Into Pool, turn right at the mini roundabout and a bit along the road automatically turn left. Second intention forgotten, I had thought to cross the Wharfe and the Washburn and ride to Farnley. By the time I remembered I was way past the former paper mill. Oh well, usual stop in Otley and then Leeds Road and see if the geared bike makes things easier. Not much. To add some variety, and hills, I turned right by the church in Bramhope, up that steep ramp to the old village. Carry straight on, towards Cookridge and also crossing the train line again. You will not see it, there is a tunnel below the road.

Onwards and upwards to the highest point of the ride, OS has 192 and Garthing has at least 198 metres. My legs had the ache, which soon went away on the long descent back through Headingley and to the canal towpath at Kirkstall. A quiet ride back along there today, maybe a bit too early for the lunchtime joggers. Busy with boats though, I counted four narrowboats moving. Two in a lock going down, the other pair heading towards Liverpool. Just before leaving the canal I glanced at the mileage and knew I would be short of thirty miles. Yup, reached home, big smile, 90 yards shy of distance. No block to ride around, the house is in a cul de sac. A great ride all the same.

Roughly where I rode, with added extra temperature!!

02082019.jpg

gavgav

Guru
A Friday Half Day booked at work and what better way to utilise the time, than out for a bike ride in the lovely warm Sunshine.

@Rickshaw Phil has kindly rebuilt my rear wheel, for the Carbon and so he arrived at 13:30, fitted the wheel and we headed out to get my August Half Century challenge ride in.

We set out along the cycle paths to Shelton and then on the road to Montford Bridge, before turning along lanes to Great Ness. We crossed the A5 and continued along the nice fast section down to Pentre, Royal Hill (avoiding the temptation to call at the pub) and Melverley.

Photo of Phil whilst we paused at Melverley
37313487-4FEF-40B7-A300-3E857B6D882D.jpeg

Next was crossing the bridge into Wales and out onto the busier main road at Crew Green, before climbing up the long drag from Princes Oak, then down to Halfway House. Crossing the usually busy A458 was surprisingly easy and onto Westbury, avoiding the various crater potholes along that section.

We paused at Westbury, for a drink and chocolate bar, then discussed which route to take back towards Shrewsbury, as there are a few options. We decided on Hinton Rd, which I haven’t ridden for probably 2 years now. It’s a bit of a climb before a nice fast descent, on which at the bottom we came up behind a Pony & Trap! Passed them with a hello and onto a bit of new territory for me, through Asterley and down towards Pontesbury.

At the end of the short section, on the cycle path, we had to wait an age for streams of traffic to pass, so that we could get onto the main road. We summised that the shift had just changed at the nearby factories and this was the resultant traffic heading home.

Streams of traffic continued to pass us through the village and then we turned right, just about in my case as I’d forgotten how soon the turn was!

The lanes through Plealey were still very busy with traffic, including the 1 idiot of the ride, on his mobile phone, before we turned towards Annscroft and Hook A Gate. There was thought of a quick pint at The New Inn, but it was closed until 5pm, which meant a 20 minute wait and so we pressed on back home, through Meole Brace.

A lovely ride, hardly any wind, beautiful warm sunshine, with great company from @Rickshaw Phil

33.02 miles at 12.3mph avg

Top Bottom