Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Mrs 26 called an outing. So a potter around Mrs 26's favourite lanes. We stopped at Clive's Fruit Farm for a coffee. Nice wee outing. 28 smiles

Thanks MrB great video. I also ride a motorcycle but take some comfort from knowing that those motorcyclists will not get anywhere near the amount of satisfaction that you get from summiting that climb. Happy cycling.

Got that right! Well I can not say that but like to think it. Because if they like riding their motorcycles as much as I like riding my bike, we are all good!

But I can say that there are a few motorcycles up there. I wish they wouldn't ride so fast, like 70 in a 35 mile zone. But I will say that as a cyclist, when I hear them coming (can from a mile behind on mtn roads) I move to the side of the road and let them pass safely. In 20 years of riding that road, I have had 2 morons pass a little too close, trying to scare me I think. But every other motorcycle up there has never cause me any grief.

I have read on many local cycling forums what a danger these guys are. I honestly don't think so as most ease up while passing. I can hear it in their engines.

What I do think, there are too many cyclists riding in the middle of the single land doing 8 mph holding up traffic behind them who can easily do the 35 mph speed. I've seen way to many moron cyclists doing stupid things on this kind of a road. Be considerate so we can all get home safely!

Move out of the way, let them pass safely and they will not bother you!

oldwheels

Legendary Member
43E33578-BC30-4C1C-960B-CAE3576FCB86.jpeg
Overcast but dry with light winds so eventually got out and up to Loch na Gualine Dubh by the main road. Traffic by my standards a bit busy. Back down to the Main Street and then the nasty climb back up home.
The picture is from the picnic bench where the vegetation needs to get cut looking towards Kilchoan. The small dot on the sea is the Kilchoan ferry heading back towards us.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
I let the shower go through then headed out with mudguards. Just as well as there were some soggy bits. Fairly standard run out to Highleadon attempting to use the hedges for shelter from a very windy blow. Even so it wasn't easy. On the run back I did get some wind assistance but swirls made it hard in places. On the final mile Mrs 26 came past in the run about. Great she can get the kettle on I hoped. 48 smiles

Slick

Guru
View attachment 478889 Overcast but dry with light winds so eventually got out and up to Loch na Gualine Dubh by the main road. Traffic by my standards a bit busy. Back down to the Main Street and then the nasty climb back up home.
The picture is from the picnic bench where the vegetation needs to get cut looking towards Kilchoan. The small dot on the sea is the Kilchoan ferry heading back towards us.
Every day is a school day, I never even knew that you could get a ferry to Kilchoan.

Tell them to get that viewpoint tidied, too nice a view to be obstructed like that.

Day 6 of idiot challenge, hoping to get amongst it after my rest day, went up to Eaglesham with a view to either going over to Strathaven or the Whitelees Windfarm road but on turning a corner was met with big black clouds followed immediately by a heavy deluge so I turned tail and fled back down the hill away from it.

Stayed mostly dry for much of the ride before it caught me a mile away from home and soaked me through.

23 miles all in. Definitely feeling like a stronger rider (and a couple of pounds lighter) than when I started the challenge but a saddle sore has made its presence known so I don't know for how long I'll be able to maintain the 4 days on-1 day off strategy.
upload_2019-8-6_17-45-3.png

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Following a posting on the local Farcebook page the bushes are scheduled to be cut.
There has been a ferry to Kilchoan for at least the 50 years I have been on Mull. It used to be a wooden launch crewed by definite eccentrics but for a long time now it has been a RoRo vehicle ferry crewed by more conventional characters tho’ one of the skippers has to be a bit mad — he is into cyclocross.

AndreaJ

Veteran
Had a day's holiday today so had time for a ride , used one of my usual routes through Whixall where I was passed by the slaughter mans lorry which was an awful smelling thing, turn for Fenns Bank and Fenns Wood, Blackloe and into Alkington where I turn back towards Whixall before turning to Tilstock where I have the only bit of main road on this route(about 100 metres) then turn back to Whixall where the wind was becoming more of a hinderance, to StanleyGreen, Lower Houses, Coton,Waterloo where it suddenly looked very dark and felt a few spots of rain, the big black rain cloud looked like it was over our village and when I turned to Edsaston it was brighter and no rain, carried on as planned to Ryebank, Highfields, Horton, turned towards The Moat Shed back towards home where it had been raining and caught up with the rain just before home. Warm again but still windy. 24 miles, average speed 15.9mph.

Old jon

Guru
Things outside looked wet this morning but this did not dampen ( sorry ) my enthusiasm for a ride. By the time breakfast was over the sun was shining fairly brightly. A quick check over the geared bike and it is time to pedal off.

It is possible to ride down the main road to the Dark Arches, or even the end of Water Lane, and from there to Office Lock, but Holbeck has less traffic. For those who do not know Leeds, the Dark Arches are where the river Aire runs underneath Leeds City Train Station. Must have been the heck of a salesperson, ‘Let’s build your train station on top of the river’ does not sound a promising idea at all. To me. But I am riding a bike, along the canal to Viaduct Road and then the next part of the route through Headingley on the way to the Ring Road at Lawnswood. After crossing that onto the A 660 take the left turn onto Otley Old Road for more climbing to the water tower at Cookridge.

Keep on in the direction of Bramhope, but there is another left turn. This is a more direct road to Otley which includes one interesting hill, and a couple of not so interesting ones as well, and a view of Leeds and Bradford airport. Those aeroplanes are big, are they not? Anyway, the A 658 makes a crossroads a bit further on. Straight on for Otley and a descent of the Chevin, or right to go to Pool down Pool Bank. I went to Pool. Possibly not the best choice, there was a traffic holdup somewhere along the road to Harrogate. So I turned left for the road along the valley bottom to Otley, missing the climb to Farnley yet again. Well, that is my excuse. The legs thanked me for it. The climbing is almost done now, just Leeds Road out of Otley.

From this direction Bramhope is fun. A bit of a drop past the puritan chapel speeds things up nicely. Today there was a rider on a recumbent going towards the Dyneley Arms. Years gone by I used to see a recumbent rather often along the A 659, Pool to Otley stretch. These days they are rarely seen by me. Never appealed, supporting all your weight on your backside. So, through the village and reach the roundabout. Turn left, Kings Road goes to Arthington Road. A point, King’s Road in Harrogate has an apostrophe, this one does not. Dunno what the one in London has. Ride down the side of Golden Acre Park and through Adel to rejoin the A 660 just in time for the downhill dash to Headingley and the surprisingly easy right turn to Kirkstall and back onto the towpath.

Bridge 223 is a little awkward, I usually walk under it since the time I clouted my shoulder on the arch, which is a bit low and the path is narrow. Today someone walking the other way, I had stopped, said ‘after you’. And I rode through. Yeah, slowly and clipped out, but still. That was not the end of the surprises for the ride. The towpath was quiet so far, at one point there is a railway line crosses above the canal, the Bradford via Shipley line. Then Armley Mills Museum, near to the other railway viaduct, after which the canal and river stay close to each other. Along this stretch I saw a cyclist coming towards me, not seeing anything different until we are about to pass. When I thought ‘ he looks tall ‘ but no he was not. He was riding a unicycle. With a very large wheel. Some days, you see things. Still to finish the ride though, leave the canal behind and pedal through that bit of Hunslet and then home. Really great ride today, just better than thirty miles put a smile on my face and when the garthing told me more than 1500 feet of climbing I understood why my legs ached.

A map. also the elevation profile, just 'cos I can . . .

07082019 Elevation.jpg
07082019.jpg

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
On a holiday mission to get my daughter riding more happily. We planned to ride along a bit of the Brest to Nantes canal.. as far as she could get.

She started out complaining as usual but once my wife mentioned the concept of ditching Daddy she shot off.

She derogated from the principle when she wanted me to push her along riding side by side, which was nice as we got up some good speed. A cake stop at the turnaround point, and an ice cream stop halfway back helped conclude a ride which she said she'd enjoyed.

Some amusing place names too.
strava2719809066694491124.jpg
IMG_20190807_125655666.jpg
IMG_20190807_143239010.jpg
IMG_20190807_130402829_BURST000_COVER.jpg

Onward!

Attachments

• IMG_20190807_143239010.jpg
    IMG_20190807_143239010.jpg
    248.8 KB · Views: 3

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Good gang at the start. John B, Jules H, Steve E, Pete M and me. We took a fairly standard run out by Defford for the ford at Pinvin. The wind was our ally in this direction. I'd said to the troops to expect an exploratory foray away from the usual route. So after Bradley Green (where John turned for home) we aimed at Feckenham for a ride through unknown territory to the Birmingham canal at Stoke Pound. I'm ashamed to say my map reading wasn't perfect and we had some small deviations from the plan. Jules knew the country around here which helped keeping us from getting badly astray. So we ended up at the fishing lakes unharmed.
A lovely lunch set us up for the usual run by Oddingly and southwards with a hindering wind. Jules was good enough to help me as I'm not 100% at the moment. After Drakes Broughton Pete called the run over Stonehall Common. Steve was pub hunting now but the Royal Oak at Kinnersley was closed. So it was the Swan in Upton again before we all went our separate ways. 82 smiles

Day Time Has No Meaning in my self-inflicted challenge.
Feeling strong after yesterday's brief bimble I decided to be a bit more ambitious and set my sights on the Rosneath peninsula (home to the UK's storage facility for nukes), bringing me to 50 miles, and aimed to get the 3:55 ferry back to Gourock.

I'm too tired and feeling sorry for myself to do a proper writeup with photos tonight, will revisit it tomorrow, but long story short, I did the ride, but caught the 5:48 ferry instead and the reason I was 2 hours behind schedule is the same reason I'm staying off the bike for the rest of the week and I will not be going into more detail :surrender:

With the 6 miles home from the train station, my totals for the day are 56 miles and 2179 feet of elevation gain.
upload_2019-8-7_21-53-47.png

Top Bottom