The Imperial Century A Month Challenge Chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rb58

Enigma
July done. @ianrauk , @Trickedem & I headed on a southerly route to Herne Bay for brekkie at the world famous (In Herne Bay) Macaris. Took the southerly route, which means climbing over Detling and the delightful Hollingbourne Hill, which never stops giving. Started off wet, but then it turned into a nice day and we had a gentle tailwind pushing us home. Ask @Trickedem about the cherries......

Trickedem

Guru
July done. @ianrauk , @Trickedem & I headed on a southerly route to Herne Bay for brekkie at the world famous (In Herne Bay) Macaris. Took the southerly route, which means climbing over Detling and the delightful Hollingbourne Hill, which never stops giving. Started off wet, but then it turned into a nice day and we had a gentle tailwind pushing us home. Ask @Trickedem about the cherries......
I spotted some cherries in an abandoned garden, so did some scrumping...They were.......disgusting
Great ride though!

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
July done. Also bagged the letters Q-Y. Rode out to the Isle of Sheppey to start with Queenborough and ended up in Yalding via Vigo and PlaXtol and a few other places for the other letters.

111 miles. Really nice riding weather. Not too hot, very little direct sùn, but summery all the same.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
August done in the company of @13 rider and @Chris Doyle

Tad over 125 miles for me t'other two did around 107 and 108 miles respectively

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
And August done.

A trip out to the Isle of Grain and back. Not a very demanding route but I'm pretty wiped out all the same. Forgot my sandwiches so I bought some lovely pastries from the village shop in Cobham (S of Gravesend) Make a note. Cobham. Pastries.

I got a slow puncture of some sort. Pressure in my front tyre kept dropping, but not going flat. I pumped it up and find that it was down to 2 bar (30 psi)*. That lasted an hour or so then it was back down to 2 bar. I decided to change the tube in Cobham, after eating a cheese and bacon pastry. There was a vintage motorbike rally nearby and I noticed a number of old bikes were waiting in the road. The delay? A huge peacock was standing in the middle of the road. Make a note. Cobham. Peacock.

A good day out and after a super early start I'm ready for a kip now.

* I love my Topeak Road Morph with built in gauge!

Last edited:

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Another ride for pie. Easterly wind again, which would have suggested Brighton, just for a change....but it's Pride this weekend, and I thought I didn't want to get stuck in traffic or dodge even more suicidal peds than usual. So, west to Wickham, then east as far as Worthing, before heading back west. Turners Pies (Rustington branch) for the pie & mash deal. Back to Pompey, just over 90 on the clock then to the seafront and back to make up the mileage.

As reported up thread August's done 107 miles in the bag . Thankful of @Supersuperleeds and @Chris Doyle towing me round the last 40 miles . I have had the sniffles since Wednesday and probably attempting an imperial century was not my wisest decision suffered towards the end . Got to the first cafe stop at 55 miles fine then as soon as we restarted the legs wernt playing ball but got round

Kudos for attempting it. Could tell you weren’t 100% and was only happy to help drag you along a bit!

August’s in the bag, courtesy of the PRLS 100. I went out like someone had set light to my backside this year. It was quite funny to glance back and see a peloton forming up behind me, until Newlands corner:laugh:. I used the Frankenbike I’ve been putting together for a bit ( 350 quid Triban 520, with its 2015 PRLS frame sticker still on it, upgraded with a Shimano R7000 105 GS, and decent ( ish ) Mavic Rims). It really is a peachy frame. The new bits make it the measure of bikes that cost 10 times as much:okay:. We did put a serious effort in on the first 50 miles. I reckon it was 240 Watts average, and that was good for 22 odd mph today. The telling thing was just how quickly the stragglers got shelled out on Newlands. The funny thing is that I got the 20 or so riders who started alongside me, 3 or 4 waves up by Box Hill, and we finished with that group. It was great fun.

Top Bottom