The Imperial Century A Month Challenge Chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
I very glad to say that May is now done. It's taken a while to recover and it feels far too late now to put this in Your ride today...

Having put the DIY Audax form in on Sunday evening I woke up yesterday feeling as though I'd eaten a dodgy pie, and it's quite likely that I had.

This was the prescribed route (clockwise):

19May13map.jpg

19May13ele.jpg

I wasn't inclined to give up on the opportunity, so I set off cautiously and by the time I reached the big climbs I was feeling reasonably OK. However, soon after passing over the big summits I started struggling, and when climbing up from the innocuous-looking notch just before 60 miles I was suddenly almost overcome by the desire to abandon.

Reasoning that after turning westwards I would be helped along flat roads by the gentle easterly breeze, and that these would take me as far as Kemble, beyond the 100 mile mark and on the railway, I talked myself into continuing along the planned route through the Windrush Valley on what is designated NCN57. This was stunningly pretty but highly arrhythmic, and for the most part had an unpleasantly bumpy, gravelly surface. Progress was extremely slow. On the sharp climb out of the valley at about 73 miles I was cramping badly, but the wind-assisted flatlands worked their magic and when I reached Kemble (106 miles) I was feeling a second wind of sorts. But had I stopped to check the train fare home I'm sure that would've inspired me to carry on riding anyway.

The roads from there over the Cotswold ridge are quite gentle, and after I'd survived the A46 between Nailsworth and Stroud I was confident I'd make it to the finish, although there wasn't much left of that second wind. There were a lot of riders in the lanes around Elmore and Longney enjoying the evening sun.

My average speed to the Broadway Tower was much higher than it afterwards. It was the engine that was feeling it, not the legs. They'd've been good to go again today.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
An update of scores on the doors

21 Started the 2019 challenge
4 riders have had to unfortunately pull out.
13 riders have May rides listed
4 riders still to do a May ride or have already done so but have yet to record the ride in the thread.

Broadside

Guru
I’ve just completed the ride for May. Had a mechanical at 20 miles with a broken spoke on the front wheel. Removed it and managed to ride 80 miles with the wheel wobbling like a pringle, didn’t want to use the front brake unless I absolutely had to so consequently had to break most of the way on downhills so I could stop with rear brake only if needed. It made the ride quite tough but a stop at the old GWR railway in Chinnor and bacon roll made the world seem a much better place!

It was my first time up Streatley Hill which was harder than I was expecting, but it’s all done and I’m very pleased to have got round after thinking I would have to abandon early on in the ride

I completed number 6 today, I can’t believe we’re half way through another year:eek:. It wasn’t exactly what I had planned, but I was forced to divert onto a route I really didn’t want to use, and it ended up with my right ankle giving up at about 120 miles ( should have been more like 160 miles ). Never mind, I know what happens if I push it too much, so discretion is the better part of valour in this case. Hopefully I’ll manage to pick a day when the military aren’t practicing something, and people aren’t protesting something, leading to a chunk of the route not being available, sometime this year:rolleyes:

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Knew I wouldn't be the first to complete it this month :blush: with the 1st falling on a Saturday & me at work till Tuesday :sad:. Well done to those getting out today, was a nice day for a ton, not sure I'll get mine done end of next week, as forecast at present is either wet, or very windy, but should be plenty of other opportunities this month :okay:

Ajax Bay

Guru
My frame is too small for crossbar or pencil case type bags off handlebar.
I use this type of mini-pannier top tube bag(s). Each side compartment is about 1/2 a litre so one side is cashews/raisins and cut up flapjack melange (with emergency jelly baby stash underneath and t'other is phone/cards/money/lip salve/lens cloth/pencil/allen key with space for a banana (for early consumption) and then for glasses (if removed for long climb).
The top has a transparent pocket into which I can fit either a list of places/mileages, or a Garmin, or a phone. About £13 - I'm on my second of these.
upload_2019-6-2_13-21-8.png

Last edited:

rb58

Enigma
June done. Set off with friend who has only recently been bitten by the cycling bug (although he has already bagged his first century), with the intention of showing him the lovely Ashford route. Unfortunately, his left hand crank went all wobbly at around the 25 miles mark, so he limped off to the station, leaving me to complete the rest on my own. Beautiful day for it, although a cheeky headwind made the return leg harder than it should have been. Nevertheless scored another 15mph+ century, so well pleased with that. Only another 18 months and I'm finished with this nonsense.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
June also done here. Given the weather forecast- strengthening NE wind- opted to head NW for lunch at the splendid Tea Cosy in Hurstbourne Tarrant. Outward leg was fairly straightforward, up there (48 and a bit miles) in a little over four hours overall. Stop was longer than I would have liked- it's a popular place, deservedly so, and fairly busy today, I spent over an hour and a half there, as there were a few parties booked in, wait times extended. A group of five cyclists turned up just as I was leaving (very nice bikes, an Open U.P. and Cervelo R3 or R5 Disc among them), and a few minutes later sped past, clearly having decided not to wait. But I had no complaints about the food, which was all delicious (spicy meatball panini, followed by a chocolate cake topped with Malteasers, and a very generous pot of tea). That little lot helped an initial burst of speed on the return leg (first few miles were at 13-14 mph average), but my pace gradually slowed- left big toe was aching (tight shoe and toenail catching on sock, I think) so I spent most of the rest of the ride with that foot unclipped. And the pad in my shorts seem to have worn out, with predictably painful results. Add in the head/crosswind, and the rest of the ride turned into a long slog. Having left at about 8.15, didn't get home until 6.45. Oh well, it was still a good day out!

Broadside

Guru
That’s a nice little place in Hurstbourne Tarrant, I first tried it out on my January century ride, luckily I got there as it opened at 0930 on a Sunday but it was full of cyclists when I left. If only there were more cafes like it.

Well done on getting the Jun ride done so early in the month , I haven’t planned mine yet!

That’s a nice little place in Hurstbourne Tarrant, I first tried it out on my January century ride, luckily I got there as it opened at 0930 on a Sunday but it was full of cyclists when I left. If only there were more cafes like it.

The one behind the car sales / petrol station? I love the comedy knitted tea cosies they have.

Fiona R

Formerly known as Cranky Knee Girl
I use this type of mini-pannier top tube bag(s). Each side compartment is about 1/2 a litre so one side is cashews/raisins and cut up flapjack melange (with emergency jelly baby stash underneath and t'other is phone/cards/money/lip salve/lens cloth/pencil/allen key with space for a banana (for early consumption) and then for glasses (if removed for long climb).
The top has a transparent pocket into which I can fit either a list of places/mileages, or a Garmin, or a phone. About £13 - I'm on my second of these.
View attachment 469040
My knees would hit it, but love the design. I went with an Ortlieb Ultimate 6 S Plus Handlebar Bag With Magnetic Lid. can just unclip and take into cafes and access snacks on the go.

Used it for two weekends now, mini cycle tour last weekend and Sam Weller's Day Trip to Wiochma 200km audax this weekend.

So my imperial is done, but it was a bit stressful as I had to travel to Tewkesbury by train that only got in 10 mins before the start of the audax, but was stuck behind another train. Fortunately the connection was held but I arrived at station after the start, by the time I got to the depart everyone had gone, then I couldn't find the organiser and by the time I was on my way I just shot off west, bad mistake, Garmin could see route but wasn't following and I stupidly toured Tewkesbury estates and didn't just backtrack and try the other way. In the end I left Tewkesbury on the right road 80 mins after the start, spent all day playing catch up but was Lanterne Rouge all day. Great course over to Herefordshire, down Wye Valley, very hot climbing out of Tintern on the alternative routes as the main road ins closed, Spar picnic at Chepstow then over to Malmesbury and back to Tewkesbury via Somerset Monument. I'd caught up the cut off times ok but only came across one other at the Malmesbury control who left before me and I didn't catch. Another character forming 200, done. Phew!

Last edited:

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Got mine done today, opted for a rather hilly route as a bit of a challenge, 4544ft of climbing, which is probably as much as I can do in a 100 mile ride from home, as it's flat as a pancake for miles ^_^ There was a chance of a few showers forecast , but luckily it stayed dry, although I had a bit of a westerley wind to contest with, which changed to a southerly at some point, so I was still heading into it :blush: luckily not too strong. Stopped off at the tea rooms in Huggate for the first time & it's well worth a visit if you're ever on the Yorkshire Wolds :okay:

Top Bottom