The Imperial Century A Month Challenge Chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Six days into the month and I'm already a latecomer :smile: Exactly one month after the April qualifier, May done, with a (mostly) Hampshire anti-clockwise loop (with usual Jackson Pollock squiggles for extra miles). Pace pretty rubbish all day, and the wind was brutal at times. Couple of climbs I opted to walk up because it was the best option. Ho hum, done and dusted....

I Led day one of a 3 day challenge ride with a local charity from Huddersfield to Leicester. It did not go well. The weather was atrocious, the group I was given to lead, were not great, then I nearly got deliberately rammed off the road ( 3 times ) by an angry man in a white van. These things are sent to try me, this was very trying.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
I Led day one of a 3 day challenge ride with a local charity from Huddersfield to Leicester. It did not go well. The weather was atrocious, the group I was given to lead, were not great, then I nearly got deliberately rammed off the road ( 3 times ) by an angry man in a white van. These things are sent to try me, this was very trying.
I see from the ride log that you did complete the century, so well done! I hope I've got that right. Sometimes the days when you have to overcome stuff end up being amongst the most satisfying.

I had yet another setback in the shape of a heavy cold at the start of the month. I think it's largely gone now but when mixed with hay fever it's not easy to tell. Suffice to say that the hoped for 300km DIY Audax isn't likely to happen just yet. :sad:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Did May's qualifying ride yesterday. I opted for the 160km Hop Garden Audax down in deepest darkest Kent. I cycled to and from the start/finish to make it up to 200km. An absolute fantastic day for cycling. Luckily I decided to slap on some factor 50 as the sun shone all day. Though it didn't feel particularly warm, I got home with red thighs and arms.
The ride's a fair old route with a good few tough old climbs, Hollingbourne, Boxley, Red and the beast of Birling (which is sadistically thrown in near the end), and a good few flat bits inbetween to cruise along and bring the speed up.

137 miles for the day. Century #9 for the year, #259 over all, 102nd consecutive month and a good few Eddington's to boot.

upload_2019-5-13_9-31-48.png

upload_2019-5-13_9-37-15.png

Last edited:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Mine also done yesterday in pretty much ideal cycling conditions - warm (after a frosty start), sunny and hardly any wind. Very nice.

I covered a metric 200, however the way I felt at the end it probably would have been better to have left off the extra bit and to have been content with getting the imperial century in a good time.:heat:

125.42 miles at 13.5 mph moving average. Ride write up here: https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/your-ride-today.173254/post-5623224

Fiona R

Formerly known as Cranky Knee Girl
Am I last this month? Did mine by extending South Glos 100km Audax on Saturday. Lovely weather if a little chillier than it looked. Sociable middle 100km round Tetbury and the Cotswolds. An extra 50km from Long Ashton to Clevedon then Avonmouth Bridge and up the lanes to the start at Alveston. I thought this was going to be the ideal way to do my 200km as a good chunk done early, and only reverse the same 50 to finish. Controls were very slow and so I didn't start back until after 5 and when everyone else is enjoying a pint at the arrivée pub and getting into cars to drive home, that I could have gone into. i just kept saying I'd have to do it all over again from next weekend so I did my last 2 1/2 hours without stopping and managed to eat a bar from my pocket going along and not falling off. I have a huge problem eating safely on the move, fine drinking, but I need to crack it to make elapsed time less! My husband had driven up (with a couple of club mates) who rode the 100km audax bit with me, and he was home and had ordered the Indian for 8, I was in 7.30ish. So glad I didn't give up, given all the trauma of the others so far this year that should also have been benign. Really doubting I can carry on but just about planned June now :laugh:

Fiona R

My tip on eating bars from your pocket is to open the wrapper carefully before putting it in your pocket. No need to open it with your teeth on the go and no risk of being antisocial and littering with fragments of torn off wrapper.

Increased risk of a pocket full of porridge-bar crumbs tho.
I need sandwiches, nuts, bananas etc regularly so anything over a cereal bar out of pocket is a no no, my bike handling/multi tasking skills are atrocious. I'm also very fastidious about litter so almost fall off carefully shoving wrapper right back down into pocket. My frame is too small for crossbar or pencil case type bags off handlebar.

Last edited:

Broadside

Guru
Am I last this month?

No you’re not! I’ve still got to do mine yet for May, it was meant to be yesterday but I took my daughter out for her first long ride instead, 57 miles was still a good day out :-)

I’m planning on doing my May 100 this Sunday, the weather looks good for an explore over through the Chilterns with a tailwind to blow me back to Hampshire. I seem to be cutting it fine all the way through this challenge!

Fiona R

No you’re not! I’ve still got to do mine yet for May, it was meant to be yesterday but I took my daughter out for her first long ride instead, 57 miles was still a good day out :-)

I’m planning on doing my May 100 this Sunday, the weather looks good for an explore over through the Chilterns with a tailwind to blow me back to Hampshire. I seem to be cutting it fine all the way through this challenge!
I thought I was quite organised, have learnt my lesson over last weekend/day of the month rides when everything goes pear shaped. Was being tongue in cheek as so many has already done theirs!

Strong riding by your daughter, but as someone who rides in km surely you should have done 6 miles more and gone for the magic 100km? :whistle:

Enjoy your Chilterns ride, forecast looks good for riding, not too hot/cold/windy/wet.

Broadside

Guru
I thought I was quite organised, have learnt my lesson over last weekend/day of the month rides when everything goes pear shaped. Was being tongue in cheek as so many has already done theirs!

Strong riding by your daughter, but as someone who rides in km surely you should have done 6 miles more and gone for the magic 100km? :whistle:

Enjoy your Chilterns ride, forecast looks good for riding, not too hot/cold/windy/wet.

Thanks, it was tempting to round up but as she’s only 12 there is plenty of time for her to get her first metric ton another time!

Fiona R

Rather than struggle with my back pockets, any wrappers & such that I need to tuck away just get shoved down the front of my jersey until I next stop, or get home :okay:
My jerseys are not tight fitting enough for that, would worry I may inadvertently litter as I rode! Often think a little discrete patch pocket on front/side of a jersey would be useful.

Top Bottom