The Imperial Century A Month Challenge Chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

13 rider

Guru
Aprils done 111 miles .I met @tallliman and @Supersuperleeds in Cossington and we rode to Northampton county cricket ground as @tallliman was going to watch Middlesex play . Then me and @Supersuperleeds rode back a slightly different route . For the first time I can remember @Supersuperleeds decided to cut a route short ( I was thankful ) so a double metric century was not achieved . Found on unplanned cafe stop in Long Buckby a bakers that does coffee we both had a delicious parsnip soup and fresh roll ..

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
That's me out for the year too.
Sorry to hear that. Hope to see you back in the challenge next year.:thumbsup:

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
April done. Something a bit different. I've done a couple of Sam W's London-Hastings rides, and enjoyed them, but I'm going to miss this year's one- a loop out of Hastings- due to it clashing with my IOW ride (and acts of Southern Rail to boot). Strong NE wind forecast for today, which gave me an idea...up at 3.45, on the 4.59 Victoria-bound train as far as Hove, then on to Brighton for the Hastings service (arrived 7.40). West, as far as Bexhill, for a photo of the lovely De La Warr Pavillion, then NW (and the first of the climbing) to Brightling, and to say hello to Mad Jack. Here he is....
VNRD2yRNbBIgHW8DR7BV3sfm8J0hQHqdJ9e7OG7B5Y-GSVqSzS0z2mL5kMTjwu7TgHFzjlIpt3MWu3QNsts=w872-h654-no.jpg

(Now that's a mausoleum.....). West to Heathfield, then SW down to Seaford, and along the coast. Right along the coast, all the way home. 4251ft of climbing according to Strava...fairly lumpy, but that's not the whole story- the vast majority was in the first 30 miles, and all done and dusted by the time I got to Brighton seafront!

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Bad luck to those who've had to give it a rest for this year. :sad:

Today was I think the first time this year I've felt good throughout - not reflected in speed but I rarely talk about that. I made a point of riding up the Coln valley in the heart of the Cotswolds, which I should have ridden last month on the Cider with Rosie Audax. Today featured heavy rain instead of the very strong winds I'd've had last month. Even so, it looked good.

I sailed a bit close to the wind for a mandatory by 200k Audax, and GPS came out a couple of hundred metres shorter than my route - 124.75 miles. Never in doubt, though I did have to blag my way through a couple of road closures. One guy really didn't want to let me go, but sitting in his van he wasn't really in the best position to stop me.

2019Apr08map.jpg

2019Apr08ele.jpg

Fiona R

Formerly known as Cranky Knee Girl
Bad luck to those who've had to give it a rest for this year. :sad:

Today was I think the first time this year I've felt good throughout - not reflected in speed but I rarely talk about that. I made a point of riding up the Coln valley in the heart of the Cotswolds, which I should have ridden last month on the Cider with Rosie Audax. Today featured heavy rain instead of the very strong winds I'd've had last month. Even so, it looked good.

I sailed a bit close to the wind for a mandatory by 200k Audax, and GPS came out a couple of hundred metres shorter than my route - 124.75 miles. Never in doubt, though I did have to blag my way through a couple of road closures. One guy really didn't want to let me go, but sitting in his van he wasn't really in the best position to stop me.

View attachment 461538
View attachment 461539
Nice one!

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Just completed mine today, H2H route That's hornsea to Harrogate , my days to get out are a little limited this month, didn't fancy leaving it till end of the month, so with today's wind I opted for a route heading mainly West with the wind behind me.
On the train back home now,then gotta ride 16 miles from the station home into the wind I'll post my ride details when I'm home, which may be a while

Trickedem

Guru
A great ride yesterday.
April is done.

https://strava.app.link/xyvCJaSiTV

You don't have to go far out of New York City to be in the country. It was a beautiful morning and soon warmed up to over 20 degrees.
Through Central Park then over the George Washington Bridge. In the best traditions of my rides I ended up in the live traffic lane and had to climb a wall to reach the cycle path. A few signs would be helpful.
The road up the West Bank of the Hudson is quiet and very picturesque and there were more cyclist than cars. I stopped for coffee in Piermont and went through the phonetic cousin of New York; Nyack. Finally got to Bear Mountain Bridge and started heading South. The climb from the bridge was a tough and busy one, with only a narrow shoulder to ride on. But once I reached the top it was a brilliant fast sweeping descent to Peekskill.
Eventually I picked up the old railway track which has been made into the North County Trail. 35 miles of car free tarmac and very popular with the locals. By this time the wind had got up and with a headwind and the very flat path it was tough, I really starting wishing for a few hills.
I finally ended up on the East Bank of the Hudson, just as the rain started.
All in all a great day out on my longest Brompton ride ever at 115 miles.
IMG_20190414_175700.jpg

Fiona R

Formerly known as Cranky Knee Girl
A great ride yesterday.
April is done.

https://strava.app.link/xyvCJaSiTV

You don't have to go far out of New York City to be in the country. It was a beautiful morning and soon warmed up to over 20 degrees.
Through Central Park then over the George Washington Bridge. In the best traditions of my rides I ended up in the live traffic lane and had to climb a wall to reach the cycle path. A few signs would be helpful.
The road up the West Bank of the Hudson is quiet and very picturesque and there were more cyclist than cars. I stopped for coffee in Piermont and went through the phonetic cousin of New York; Nyack. Finally got to Bear Mountain Bridge and started heading South. The climb from the bridge was a tough and busy one, with only a narrow shoulder to ride on. But once I reached the top it was a brilliant fast sweeping descent to Peekskill.
Eventually I picked up the old railway track which has been made into the North County Trail. 35 miles of car free tarmac and very popular with the locals. By this time the wind had got up and with a headwind and the very flat path it was tough, I really starting wishing for a few hills.
I finally ended up on the East Bank of the Hudson, just as the rain started.
All in all a great day out on my longest Brompton ride ever at 115 miles.
View attachment 462380
What style, exotic destination, on a Brompton, no bother! Well done.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
April done yesterday with a hilly trip over to Bewdley in Worcestershire and back via the Ironbridge Gorge. Fabulous conditions for the trip and it was such a pleasure to use my Raleigh for this one.

102.13 miles at 12.7 mph average. Ride report here for anyone interested: https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/your-ride-today.173254/post-5603635

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
April done. I headed out to the South Coast to bag a couple of letters (Jevington and Kingston) while approaching Brighton from the East.

Did quite a bit on cycle paths through Newhaven and into Brighton. Some surprisingly good. Some unsurprisingly not.
Cycle paths out of Newhaven....shudder. Whoever thought that climb up steps (!) followed by the heavily potholed gravel track that is ironically called The Highway was suitable for a bike path ought to be tarred and feathered. For some reason I rode it, again, on my January ride last year. And thoroughly regretted it. I stuck with the 259 a couple of weeks back, that was much better. The paths alongside the 259, OTOH, are pretty good.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Cycle paths out of Newhaven....shudder. Whoever thought that climb up steps (!) followed by the heavily potholed gravel track that is ironically called The Highway was suitable for a bike path ought to be tarred and feathered. For some reason I rode it, again, on my January ride last year. And thoroughly regretted it. I stuck with the 259 a couple of weeks back, that was much better. The paths alongside the 259, OTOH, are pretty good.
The paths out of Newhaven next to the main A259 were the good bits I was referring to. Plus some of the on-road lanes descending into Brighton on the A270 were interesting as they went round the backs of the bus stops. I've read about these but never seen them. All the bus stops were deserted so I didn't kill anyone. I was unimpressed with the path beside the A270 from Lewes. Narrow, badly maintained, badly signed and generally rubbish. But better than riding on the A270 dual carriageway itself I imagine.

Top Bottom