The Imperial Century A Month Challenge Chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
How do you get the stars (yes, I've earnt one now) to display as a footer in the posts, below that dotted line? I added it in the text but it looks different to everyone else's. What's the secret?

eg. what mine currently looks like
View attachment 500020

You need to edit your signature, this hopefully gives you a star

full?d=1443009817.jpg

click reply to this post and then click the sprocket thing on the task bar above the post and it will show you the code for you to copy

Attachments

• full?d=1443009817.jpg
    full?d=1443009817.jpg
    449 bytes · Views: 3

13 rider

Guru
How do you get the stars (yes, I've earnt one now) to display as a footer in the posts, below that dotted line? I added it in the text but it looks different to everyone else's. What's the secret?

eg. what mine currently looks like
View attachment 500020
Hi Rob if you simply can't copy and paste a star into your signature see this thread
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/signature-issue.255010/page-3#post-5821365

Fiona R

Formerly known as Cranky Knee Girl
I'm back in again. copying my report from lunacy challenge, with a repeat of the same Chalke and Cheese audax that I kicked off with last year.

I was hoping it would be easier this year :laugh: 209 km but 75% cross to headwind and flipping heck it was a gusty wind, the sort that jumps you sideways passing a gate, but a tailwind up Cheddar Gorge for the last 40km in the dark back to Warmley. I rode to the start at Warmley on the Bristol Bath Railway Path, leaving before 6am :wacko: adding another 18km so 227km, or 139miles.

Riding the B2B in the dark again coping with blinking rear lights and then emerging from the Two Tunnels to the first hint of light was a relief. Cross headwind down to Wilton with some drizzle and the first control at Boyton at just over 50km but more like 70 for me. Even though I had pre-ordered a panini and coffee I should have gone to the counter before the stamp queue, so wasted a good 20+ minutes. I don't usually arrive at controls at the bulge, so I was a little faster. Got to chat with some fellow audaxers. After Wilton (of carpet fame) we head into the wind and the hills proper start to the second control at Broad Chalke and we're still not half way. I only briefly stopped and continued on my own now for the very long 80 km to Wedmore via Shaftesbury and Wells, mainly cross headwind again. A major questioning of my own sanity at this point. The hills round Bruton were tough but I didn't walk but the countryside very distinctively rolling chalk. I sat on someone's step in Bruton and ate an almond butter/marmite roll and carried on, I missed a turn before Wells so toured the cathedral but nothing too serious, a bit of a diversion required in Wookey for extensive road works but I diverted back too quickly and ended up tramping through them anyway but the workers were very amenable.

Unlike last year I made Wedmore at dusk and the shop was still serving tea and with a pain au choc and the public conveniences still being open, this made for a much better launch into the short ride to Cheddar and up the Gorge. I had seen plenty of faster friends at the last control but again rode the whole of the last section in the dark on my own. I was suspicious my rear tyre was a bit soft and checked it so with a lot of hand pumping (too wuss to try a canister) I got enough pressure in and crossed everything I'd make the last 40km.

Cheddar Gorge in the dark and not too many cars, lovely listening to the owls and other wildlife. No fog or rain so visibility was relatively good, although I have to crawl in the dark, especially down West Harptree and around Chew Valley not wanting to hit any more potholes with my iffy tyre. The penultimate horrible Publow Hill out of Pensford was the only one I walked, but still quite a hike back through Keynsham, Bitton and Warmley with a last little kicker at my 225km mark to the arrivée about an hour earlier than last year and a very welcome pint of cider and salted peanuts and lots of chat. My overall speed did drop under 20km/hr overall though which is a bit disappointing but inevitable in the dark.

Unlike most others I was not game for the ride back to base, and called the broomwagon, I wasn't sure if he was available (playing golf and watching Bristol rugby in one day) until that point but mightily relieved he was given the slow puncture that had lost some more pressure but made it.

Major aches today, but I have found offending small spike of metal on inside of tyre and patched puncture, washed bike/chain properly :angel:and I have been allowed special permission to let her dry properly in the house :wub: All ready for next time, must remember to lube it though as my chain squeaked all the way round as it hadn't been cleaned very thoroughly after Festive 500 :whistle:

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Got mine done today, so I'm in again. Planned a longer ride, but it was icier than expected this morning, so stuck to main roads early doors which cut off a few miles . Grabbed a few more VV tiles, which involved a few dodgy bridleways, one resulting in a visit from the fairy :sad: Scariest part of the day was around 11:30am, started a 16% descent into Thixendale & pretty much the whole road was covered in frost/ice :ohmy: Hopefully February will be a little warmer 🤔

Fiona R

Formerly known as Cranky Knee Girl
I'm in. Got my January qualifier done yesterday with what I would usually call my easy loop round the north of the shire. It's not quite as easy done on ice tyres though.:heat: 102.39 miles at a glacial 11.5 mph moving average.

Ride report here:https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/your-ride-today.173254/post-5857931
Think that's pretty audacious. Chapeau!
Got mine done today, so I'm in again. Planned a longer ride, but it was icier than expected this morning, so stuck to main roads early doors which cut off a few miles . Grabbed a few more VV tiles, which involved a few dodgy bridleways, one resulting in a visit from the fairy :sad: Scariest part of the day was around 11:30am, started a 16% descent into Thixendale & pretty much the whole road was covered in frost/ice :ohmy: Hopefully February will be a little warmer 🤔
Still icy down here, some roads absolutely fine and others unrideable, bad enough doing the 1km to the Post Office, 500m to get off the estate the worse bit. Did you sledge the 16%? Very well done too.

I got my first one of the year completed today.
I really twanged my left hand, collar bone and hip, going AOT on a tree root, a couple of weeks back, and the left thumb is still a bit useless, so I got the big old Hybrid out, mainly because it’s got bulletproof tyres on it, and I can’t use the left thumb enough to change a tyre at present. This was a new route I’ve been working on over the last few weeks. After about 20 miles, my left hand had enough and I was pretty much riding one handed:laugh:. The route ended up being 101.7 miles, thus proving that not only can an imperial ton be ridden on a Hybrid with front suspension, but it can be done on a Hybrid with front suspension, with one hand behind your back:okay:. I probably wouldn’t do it like that again out of choice, but it’s nice to have it as an option if needs be.

Doing the ride in the summer months would be a complete game changer. Winter riding can turn into a grind at times.
That’s very true. It gets dark earlier, it’s probably foggy and / or raining, and it really can turn into a drag. It’s coughs and colds season too, which doesn’t bring anything to the party.

Got mine in today. I missed the back of my clubmate :shy: and he sped off at 360w on his training session, I gave chase for a bit and the gap closed at first but started to widen again :shy::shy: At which point I remembered everyone else in the club was doing an easier ride so I stopped and towed them round the usual route to the hotel cafe. It was a birthday too so we all indulged in a glass of prossecco in addition to the coffee and cake. Didn't make the same mistake twice and jumped on the back of my fast club mate for the next 14miles where we met the other group again. I towed them back and dropped them off. I then headed out to complete my ton. I'm not sure if I'll complete the challenge this year or other commitments will get in the way but hey ho, my hat is in the ring :okay:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
February in the bag.

A lovely day. All week the forecasts have been for rain, but each day less and less. As it happened not a drop of rain fell on me. Quite a headwind in the homeward direction, but I got a good tailwind on the long straight flat road through Chart Sutton, so all's fair I suppose.

I've been thinking of upping the ante on my long rides in terms of distance and climb. So I visited three of Kent's finest hills. First Toys Hill, I rode up both sides then had breakfast in the cafe/shop at Ide Hill. Then Hollingbourne Hill, which just gets steeper and steeper, and finally Birling, which is just horrible. I ended up with 2500m (8000') of climb.

Extending the distance didn't go so well. I was so slow with all that climbing that when I got to Swanley, it was dark and I wanted my dinner, so instead of continuing home I rode around randomly to top the ride up to 100 miles, then jumped on a train.

Last edited:
Top Bottom