The Imperial Century A Month Challenge Chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
February done (I'm on leave this week). A fairly strong easterly wind, so headed west in a Salisbury-ish direction. Got as far as Stockbridge before I got fed up with the headwind, speed picked up a bit for a while before fatigue and still more climbing knocked it back down again. It even stopped raining, eventually…

Soltydog

Legendary Member
February done (I'm on leave this week).
Well done Stu, I'm working tomorrow & then off for 14 & thought I'd have plenty of opportunity, but weather looks like it's heading downhill from the weekend, so hopefully I'll get mine done Thursday or Friday

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Got my February qualifier done yesterday. I went for roughly a repeat of the route I did last month with a few deviations to avoid it getting boring. I'm glad to have been able to get it in early with the way the forecasts look at the moment.

Ride report here for anyone interested: https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/your-ride-today.173254/post-5871595

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Certainly the weather does seem set to deteriorate and yesterday (Wednesday) was looking absolutely perfect. I had a permit, but on Tuesday evening was feeling pretty lousy. I'm sure we've all been in this position. What do you do? Yep.

Some months ago, when plotting ideas for rides, a rather elegant mushroom-cloud shape emerged drifting over into Herefordshire, and the ride's been on my to-do list since. With a few tweaks to make it the requisite Audax distance, the ride-day version was this:

I was on a new cassette and chain; I couldn't quite believe how knackered the old stuff was when I looked at it properly. I went for an 11-28 this time (previously 11-30) which isn't particularly brave when my small ring is a 24. It seemed like a good move; the 28 was used twice, which I think equals the number of visits the 30 received in its lifetime.

A much higher climbing average yesterday than on recent rides, but still unethically pancake flat to many here. :sad: Having not ventured deep into Herefordshire for a while I'd forgotten about the "make do and mend" road maintenance philosophy, but the scenery invariably provides ample compensation. And with the total absence of any discernible wind, at times the peace was simply breathtaking.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
February done. Not a great day; punctured at 26 miles, rear wheel which last time I got a visit it took me over 30 minutes to get the tyre back on. Took me 15 minutes just to get the tyre off, dug the glass out of the tyre, new tube in and the bloody tyre popped straight back on :rolleyes:

Bust a front spoke at 38 miles, still had another 70 to go and the wheel was very wobbly, decided to take it steady and push on, didn't get out of the saddle for pretty much the rest of the way in order to try and keep the weight on the back of the bike.

Decided to skip the cafe stop which cut out three miles of the route so I could still get the train I had originally planned to do. Was a bit of mistake as at 97 miles I had a dead straight 5 miles into a headwind (Fen roads don't you just love em) which totally drained me, though I was 30 minutes early for my original train :smile:

Sat on the platform and ate a double decker and a Lidl marathon rip off, nearly fell asleep standing up on the train:laugh:

Two big mugs of tea and a big plate of gammon, chip,s beans and eggs and I now feel fine.

105 miles done and a massive 2,202 feet of climbing (pretty much all done in the first 50 miles!), now that is flat :whistle:

https://www.strava.com/activities/3083040487

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
February done. Not a great day; punctured at 26 miles, rear wheel which last time I got a visit it took me over 30 minutes to get the tyre back on. Took me 15 minutes just to get the tyre off, dug the glass out of the tyre, new tube in and the bloody tyre popped straight back on :rolleyes:

Bust a front spoke at 38 miles, still had another 70 to go and the wheel was very wobbly, decided to take it steady and push on, didn't get out of the saddle for pretty much the rest of the way in order to try and keep the weight on the back of the bike.

Decided to skip the cafe stop which cut out three miles of the route so I could still get the train I had originally planned to do. Was a bit of mistake as at 97 miles I had a dead straight 5 miles into a headwind (Fen roads don't you just love em) which totally drained me, though I was 30 minutes early for my original train :smile:

Sat on the platform and ate a double decker and a Lidl marathon rip off, nearly fell asleep standing up on the train:laugh:

Two big mugs of tea and a big plate of gammon, chip,s beans and eggs and I now feel fine.

105 miles done and a massive 2,202 feet of climbing (pretty much all done in the first 50 miles!), now that is flat :whistle:

https://www.strava.com/activities/3083040487
2202ft? I can get mine down to less than 1500ft…but most are more like 5-6000ft!

Trickedem

Guru
Got mine in yesterday. It was raining first thing, so I didn't set off until 9. I did a few new roads and also went on some I hadn't been on for ages. Most notably up the delightful Knatts Valley. The golf course at the top must have closed down a few years ago as the fairways were completely covered in long grass and even the bunkers had grass growing in them. As I turned South near Westerham I passed Clackett Lane services and decided to go in and have a coffee. I got plenty of strange looks from people who probably wondered how I had got there. After that I had a reasonable tail wind all the way to Headcorn, where I stopped in the Deli/Cafe for tea and cake. I took Liverton Hill over the Green Sand Ridge, which is a beast, quickly followed by Stede HIll over the North Downs. After that is was downhill all the way to Sittingbourne. I took the old Friday Night Ride route back over Basser Hill, which is quite easy in that direction.
Very pleased to get this one out the way when the fitness is probably at the low point of the year.

https://www.strava.com/activities/3083371971

Fiona R

Formerly known as Cranky Knee Girl
I "banked" February on Saturday, here's my day copied from lunacy chat.

I was so sensible this weekend. I was entered for the very foodie Flapjack 100km Audax from Chippenham on Sunday, with it being 46km each way it's easy to round up to 200km.

By Wednesday I was thinking even I was not lunatic enough for forecast 50mph winds and seriously wet, given I'd be riding home at least 2 hours in the dark into rain and storm headwind. So I developed a Plan B as Saturday weather was looking lovely, well lovely for February. No ice, sunny spells, no rain and a stiff south westerly. I submitted the same DIY route I did this time last year to make sure February was in the bank, and again persuaded the husband to accompany me with a promise of breakfast at McDs in Bath at 30km after the Railway Path. Through the Two Tunnels and turned west at Norton St Phillip and the climbing started. Once up onto the Mendips, with the vast majority of the climbing done by 70km mark, I let him whizz off down to Chew Valley and home in time for rugby after 100km and I whizzed down Cheddar Gorge (no hail this year) and battled into the headwind round to Glastonbury. a fairly quick cafe stop for very lovely and effective GF almond protein brownie and a pint of tea at Heaphys.

Then the chase was on to try and get my speed up and minimise dark riding. A crosswind all the way to Burnham on Sea, I made sure I ate something every hour now so a quick stop in Highbridge on the bike path to admire the boats. Through Burnham, up to Brean and the loop round to Weston. Suddenly it got very snarled up at the end of the prom towards the pier. There was a very effective Climate Emergency demo on opposing the proposed expansion at Bristol Airport, the whole parade was crossing the road with security holding traffic at the pier, so I passed all the traffic and waited patiently at the crossroads, I had a lot of time for this hold up. The attendants kept apologising and I said no need.

I stopped and took some pics of the choreographed "flight marshalls" and banners over the wall and waved encouragement and went on my way. Past the ruined pier and I was thinking what it would be like to be here tomorrow (ie Sunday) when Storm Ciara arrives.

I'm hammering as fast as my solid body allows, last year the main road to Congresbury was horrific in the dark and rain, it's still light and exactly the same weekend. It didn't get dark until after Clevedon and I'd had the benefit of tailwind, whoosh. A quick photo of the pier at dusk and half a roll to get me home, and the last hill out of Clevedon and the very familiar roads back to Nailsea finishing with my commute. The kilometrage was only 0.9km over 200, but enough that I don't have to do any circuits and bumps round the houses.

I really made the most of a great day, given 8 people out of 150 did turn up to start Flapjack on Sunday but the forecast weather had well and truly arrived and was forecast to get even worse than previous forecast, so was cancelled.

I do find riding long distance on the levels hard though, my quads were aching on Sunday, but I was chuffed to get in under 11 hours elapsed time and 9 hours riding time, 22.2kmh. I'm loving my Aftershokz headphones for such riding, I can still hear cars as they are bone conducting, I rode like the wind to the border of Mexico :laugh: Music got me home from Glastonbury.

Unethically flat 1200m and minimal distance 200.9km but plenty good enough for imperial ^_^

Last edited:
I got February’s out of the way today. The weather forecast wasn’t particularly certain about how the conditions would pan out, so I bit the bullet and cracked on with it. Other than the wind, which was strong but not ballistic on the outward ( headwind) and strong tailwind on the way home, the weather was actually quite clement. I did a familiar loop down to the Velo Domestique cafe in Southbourne. I really like that place. Febuary is usually a ‘bogey month’ so I was glad to get it done. 104 miles done, at a reasonable 200 Watts.

13 rider

Guru
Februarys finally in the bag . A tough day out today some lovely tailwind sections but some absolutely brutal headwind and bordering on dangerous crosswinds . I managed to find the hillest route from Leicester to Lincoln and did 5600ft of upness . No big climbs just constant rolling terrain so very little free wheeling the legs are really feeling it now

Top Bottom