The Imperial Century A Month Challenge Chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fiona R

Formerly known as Cranky Knee Girl
I enjoyed that. A repeat of last year's GWR Wells Mells and Broader audax which was my toughest 200 last year. Weather was pretty good with a stiff southerly out and a stiffer westerly back. I rode 15km to the start leaving at 6.15am and met a melee of riders coming out of the garden centre a couple of minutes early. So I was in my correct place from the start, but made sure to eat a banana. Took it easy up the first of the four big hills West Harptree. Whizz down to Wells and a large latte at the market stall control to warm up. I knew the control food offerings didn't really suit me or were likely to be sold out so carried plenty of rolls and graze bars to save faffing time. I got fuelling right, especially keeping it up in the second half.

After Wells the anticipation of King Alfred's Tower, a 2.3km average climb of 6.7% but reaches 20% on the last pull. I've failed it 3 times before. So so pleased to make it without stopping or walking yesterday, although a dry road and no car or bike traffic to consider helped a lot. The highlight of my day, I was really made up as I can do stamina climbing but steep stuff at my weight is a huge challenge. Down to beautiful Stourport and the long lumpy pull to Yeovil, I topped out over 3000m of climbing in total.

The third beastly hill was Batcombe. Walked some of that like last year, I can't really do tight zig zags on tiny lanes with toe overlap on my small frame, well that's my excuse. Gorgeous scenery and the turn for home, with some wind assistance meant the burning thighs got a little bit of rest. But not for long. Sturminster Newton and up to The Red Lion at Kilmington, I've been there 3-4 times before, knew it was around 171km on my Garmin and managed to ride right past. I proceeded to take 15 minutes to lap the village and find it. That was the start of navigational issues that lost me nearly an hour, when avoiding night riding makes a huge difference to finishing time that's important. A quick stop, my aim was to get along the lovely Colliers way bike path into Radstock before dark, otherwise it's a very slow crawl. Luckily I made it without puncturing, the whole path covered in thorns, although it was properly dark at the end. I made an error of staying on the main road out of Radstock and missing where I rejoined the route and I was heading off to Peasdown St John on busy roads with blazing headlights getting no help from my Garmin. Retreated to the hedge and put Google maps on to extricate myself to Woollard, crawling along very black pot holey lanes, no swooping descents to make up time!

Publow Hill was walked too and once done that's it. Only had half an hour spare but finished happy and not on my last legs back at the garden centre. Very importantly I was not last ^_^ no lanterne rouge for me this year. I would have happily cycled 15km home if light but couldn't face the South Link bike path in the dark with all the avoidance of street furniture and dazzling lights. Rang the lovely husband who came out to fetch me, he had been out and ridden 100km and cooked us a lovely spag bol too. :wub:

March imperial done, 221km and 3066m of climbing. Think that may be my highest climbing total in a day, just. It was uphill most of the way to the start and I didn't ride to start last year.

Last edited:

Aravis

Putrid Donut
A very sturdy steely determination you have. It's a banker that the ones you think will be quite straightforward turn out to be the hardest when on paper you know they should be ok. Those ones require most kudos.💪👍 That RRtY is a great motivator though.

Please could you take some of your 💨 share though please. :laugh:
Despite everything I'm already looking forward to the next! We're victims of a most peculiar addiction.

I'm not specifically going for RRtY this year, but it's good to keep the option alive. I'm more focused on the Randonneur 5000, for which I'll need another 19 200s (or equivalent) by the end of September :wacko:. As far as motivation is concerned, it's much the same.

A fantastic ride yesterday - well done. :notworthy:

Fiona R

Formerly known as Cranky Knee Girl
Despite everything I'm already looking forward to the next! We're victims of a most peculiar addiction.

I'm not specifically going for RRtY this year, but it's good to keep the option alive. I'm more focused on the Randonneur 5000, for which I'll need another 19 200s (or equivalent) by the end of September :wacko:. As far as motivation is concerned, it's much the same.

A fantastic ride yesterday - well done. :notworthy:
What is this Randonneur 5000, says she who will get R1000 this year when I finally actually do an official 300. Not yet another one to go for...double negatives or what? I really ought to now continue with AAA too now I have the basic 20 points in all time one.

Trickedem

Guru
I enjoyed that. A repeat of last year's GWR Wells Mells and Broader audax which was my toughest 200 last year. Weather was pretty good with a stiff southerly out and a stiffer westerly back. I rode 15km to the start leaving at 6.15am and met a melee of riders coming out of the garden centre a couple of minutes early. So I was in my correct place from the start, but made sure to eat a banana. Took it easy up the first of the four big hills West Harptree. Whizz down to Wells and a large latte at the market stall control to warm up. I knew the control food offerings didn't really suit me or were likely to be sold out so carried plenty of rolls and graze bars to save faffing time. I got fuelling right, especially keeping it up in the second half.

After Wells the anticipation of King Alfred's Tower, a 2.3km average climb of 6.7% but reaches 20% on the last pull. I've failed it 3 times before. So so pleased to make it without stopping or walking yesterday, although a dry road and no car or bike traffic to consider helped a lot. The highlight of my day, I was really made up as I can do stamina climbing but steep stuff at my weight is a huge challenge. Down to beautiful Stourport and the long lumpy pull to Yeovil, I topped out over 3000m of climbing in total.

The third beastly hill was Batcombe. Walked some of that like last year, I can't really do tight zig zags on tiny lanes with toe overlap on my small frame, well that's my excuse. Gorgeous scenery and the turn for home, with some wind assistance meant the burning thighs got a little bit of rest. But not for long. Sturminster Newton and up to The Red Lion at Kilmington, I've been there 3-4 times before, knew it was around 171km on my Garmin and managed to ride right past. I proceeded to take 15 minutes to lap the village and find it. That was the start of navigational issues that lost me nearly an hour, when avoiding night riding makes a huge difference to finishing time that's important. A quick stop, my aim was to get along the lovely Colliers way bike path into Radstock before dark, otherwise it's a very slow crawl. Luckily I made it without puncturing, the whole path covered in thorns, although it was properly dark at the end. I made an error of staying on the main road out of Radstock and missing where I rejoined the route and I was heading off to Peasdown St John on busy roads with blazing headlights getting no help from my Garmin. Retreated to the hedge and put Google maps on to extricate myself to Woollard, crawling along very black pot holey lanes, no swooping descents to make up time!

Publow Hill was walked too and once done that's it. Only had half an hour spare but finished happy and not on my last legs back at the garden centre. Very importantly I was not last ^_^ no lanterne rouge for me this year. I would have happily cycled 15km home if light but couldn't face the South Link bike path in the dark with all the avoidance of street furniture and dazzling lights. Rang the lovely husband who came out to fetch me, he had been out and ridden 100km and cooked us a lovely spag bol too. :wub:

March imperial done, 221km and 3066m of climbing. Think that may be my highest climbing total in a day, just. It was uphill most of the way to the start and I didn't ride to start last year.
Excellent stuff. Well done.

13 rider

Guru
March's done 102 imperial miles Leicester to Lincoln . First 65 miles were done at 18mph aided by a tailwind not my legs . Got out in the fens and the wind took its toll . Used @Supersuperleeds route he couldn't make it today due to family commitments. His route was designed to grab some veloviewer squares at 1 point I went down a road at 24mph for 2 miles only to turn round into the headwind and grovel along at 10mph at which point @Supersuperleeds was cursed alot. Still averaged 16.2 mph so not too shabby

Aravis

Putrid Donut
What is this Randonneur 5000, says she who will get R1000 this year when I finally actually do an official 300. Not yet another one to go for...double negatives or what? I really ought to now continue with AAA too now I have the basic 20 points in all time one.
I've just checked to make sure I had it right - it's simply 50 points, however they're achieved, in an Audax year. So grinding out 25 DiY 200s gets you there, though most people seem to take a more varied approach. Anything less than a 200 doesn't contribute, but ECEing up to a 200 is good.

I'm also hoping to manage a 300 and thereby get the R1000. But if I only do one I'll be in danger of finishing on 51 points. I'm all for economy of effort!

I got a ‘banker’ in today. 108 miles, that started as an 82 mile training ride, as a leader with B.C. training the riders we’ve got on the Switzerland to Southampton ride in June. The weather was absolutely horrendous during the exposed bit of the ride, on the heaths, in the New Forest. Strong winds, rain and hailstones. Anyway, everybody made it round, and I added the extra miles to get my March ton ride completed. That’s a quarter of this year completed already:ohmy:.

Last edited:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I may be out. :sad:

I hit a big pothole and wrecked my front wheel about 60 miles in to today's ride. Had to half carry the bike a few miles to a station (front wheel jammed so couldn't wheel it). I'm now on the train home. I'm ok - cuts and bruises only but I feel a bit shaken up (and my arms are wrecked from carrying the bloody bike).

Not sure I'll get the bike (and myself) in shape for another attempt this month. We'll see.

13 rider

Guru
Bad luck @Dogtrousers , fingers crossed for the challenge still time yet

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Now I'm home and washed & fed I'm feeling a bit more beaten up. Knee hurts. Swelling in my thigh, (poss torn muscle) and grazing on my face that I was unaware of at the time (not having a mirror). No wonder the lady who asked looked disbelieving when I said I was OK. Hat rather battered too, put probably best not to mention that:ph34r:

Three spoke nipples pulled clean out of the rim. Both mudguard quick releases popped. Big gouge in Durano Plus tyre (but tube stayed inflated) I'm mildly conerned about my carbon forks (frame is steel). Rest of bike looks OK.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Sorry to hear this mate. Definitely sounds far worse than anything that's ever befallen me. :sad:

There's no shortage of things for us all to be concerned about right now. Bike parts and associated bits can be replaced. GWS.

Tribansman

Veteran
Yeah, get well soon @Dogtrousers. Sounds horrendous. Rest up for a couple of weeks and hopefully you'll recuperate enough to get one in before the month's out.

I thankfully avoided mishaps on March's effort yesterday. Found it tougher than expected as didn't leave till 3.45pm and was tired before I set off (prob not wise to do after a track session earlier in the day!). One day I'll learn to listen to my body and rest when I'm really fatigued.

Nice spin out into Essex and down to fringes of Greater London, and a fair bit of climbing for round here. Didn't fuel that well beforehand so was ravenous around 60 miles...stopped for an enormous kebab, which just about got me home. Got incredulous looks from the bloke in there after I demolished it in a couple of minutes. Pretty undignified really, but when hunger really hits, sod decorum, right?! My route took me past both Stansted and Luton airports, the latter in the dark. Horrendous light and noise pollution, the glow from the lights eerily visible from 10 miles away. Planning another 2 centuries before the end of the month if the weather's kind.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
March's ride done and dusted. I was out the door at 5.30am to try and beat the forecasted rain this afternoon. And I did. Apart from a little bit of drizzle mid morning, the rain stayed away. Still a mucky bike though as some of the country lanes are still flooded. The wind this morning at times was horrendous. Luckily most part of that journey was downhill. But still took a little battering at times. By the mid morning however the wind had dropped by quite a bit so was easier going on the old legs.

Imperial Century #5 for the year, #278 over all and Imperial Century Month #112 in a row.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Top Bottom