Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

C R

Guru
Leading the way I see @C R it even looks like it's not raining
^_^, I'm surprised they put this one, there was a bigish group just ahead, which would have looked much more the part.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Yesterday's ride:

Despite my best hopes, March hasn't got off to a great start cycling-wise with things getting in the way or the weather being unpleasant. Yesterday though was forecast to be sunny with a light wind and with the state of affairs at the moment I thought I'd better get my challenge ride in for the month while I can.

Despite not really having enough recent miles in the legs I opted for the short version of my Lake Vyrnwy route and got on the road for 7am as usual. There was already plenty of traffic on the roads round Shrewsbury as I headed out to Montford Bridge and Great Ness but it got quieter past Pentre, into Knockin and the main road to Llynclys was so quiet that I wondered if the road had been blocked (it hadn't).

After my usual snack stop I met a motorcyclist at the Llynclys crossroads who pointed down the road to Knockin and asked if that was the right way for Snowdonia :blink:. I tried to get more out of him about where he was tring to get to but he would only say Snowdonia so I pointed him along the Tanat Valley road and explained that would go to Bala which was in the right direction. I hope he got where he was hoping to be.

Heading along that road myself I found the traffic was much as I'd expect to start with. On a whim I took a slight detour into Llanyblodwel just to see what it is like (nice little place with an appealing looking pub) then rejoined the main road. The traffic thinned out as I headed up the valley passing Llangedwyn, Pentre Felin, Llanrhaeadr Ym Mochnant, Pedair Ffordd and over the climb to Pen Y Bont Fawr. I had a quick drink stop here (and reported progress back to home as I don't get a phone signal anywhere round Lake Vyrnwy) then started the climb to Hirnant, making slow but steady progress. I got up the steep bit alright and enjoyed the descent to Llanwddyn despite the surface not being great. On the climb up to the dam there are temporary traffic lights where the roadside fencing is being replaced - it's not their intention at all but it also provided a safe place to stop and take a photo without having to worry about the traffic.

I had my usual stop by the dam for a bite to eat then proceeded to ride my first lap of the lake. At first it seemed very quiet with only a handful of vehicles passing and just a couple of runners to say hello to but just after halfway round I started to meet groups of cyclists which reassured me that I wouldn't be the only one at the cafe. It turned out that I wasn't by a long shot - Artisans was doing a reasonable trade and more people were arriving with their own bikes or looking to hire some.

For the second lap I started off slow as is usually the case for me but this time progress was more mixed than usual as the wind was picking up and was swinging round all over the place so that I never knew when to expect a headwind or a tailwind. I paused in a gateway at the far end of the lake to eat my lunch then carried on back to the dam, finally picking up the tailwind I was hopeful would take me much of the way home.

Climbing out of Llanwddyn again, the legs felt good considering I'd already passed the metric century but I still took it fairly easy as it steepened up. I took the alternative way back to Pen Y Bont Fawr and just when I thought things were going very well the legs cramped on the climb out of town. I don't know what it is about this particular climb but if I'm going to get cramp on this route it almost always starts just here. Fortunately it wasn't bad so i was able to ride through it by going down a gear and taking it gently. Once over this lump there is a great descent (hit 34 mph this time) then the trend is mostly downhill past Llanrhaeadr and back down the valley. There is usually more traffic on the way back and today was no exception.

At Pentre Felin a lorry overtook, in a good spot, leaving loads of room - I waved my thanks and the vehicle had just pulled back in when there was a Tinkle, Clatter, BANG, Hissssssssssss and something metallic came bouncing past me on the road. Fortunately we were just approaching the only layby on this stretch of road that could accomodate the size of vehicle and the driver pulled in while I stopped and went back along the road to retrieve the wheel nut wrench that had done the damage. My first thought was that the wrench had punctured a tyre but by the time I got to him the driver had looked underneath and found the air brake reservoir had been pierced. There have been plenty of times when I've fantasized that something like that would happen to a driver who has put me in danger - I wouldn't have wished it on this guy though.:sad:

There wasn't anything I could do to help so I carried on and with the wind still assisting, made some good progress. There were more polite drivers but getting back near Llanyblodwel a bus came past at a point where the road narrows and I needed to avoid a large pothole :angry: I just managed to jink round the hedge side of the pothole, looked back up and found the bus swerving back into my side of the road.:cursing: Not impressed by that.

Things went a little better after that but the cramp came back a bit at Porth Y Waen when I had to stop for a traffic light. I needed a rest stop at Llynclys then decided I wanted off the main road so headed through The Wood, Llwyn Y Go and Argoed, which was a risk as I didn't know whether the lane to Argoed would still be flooded (it wasn't but there was standing water either side of the road).

The wind was still mostly helping on the way to Pentre but very shortly afterwards I was flagging so I paused at Wilcott for a drink and jelly babies, which gave the energy to get up the next climb and made riding with a cross-wind to Montford Bridge easier than I'd anticipated. Cramp was back again for the climb over to Bicton and although I was able to drop a gear or two and ride through it, this was the worst of the trip. I was slow for the last few miles and very glad to reach home. Not the hardest century that I've ever done but tougher than it would have been if I'd been out more.

103.5 miles at 12.1 mph average (moving). 10 hours and 40 minutes total with all the stops.

Between Pentre and Kinnerley you can see that there is still lots of flood water round the Melverley area.

On my little side track: the bridge at Llanyblodwel (still in Shropshire despite the name).

The road up the valley to the hills. (coincidentally showing the exact place where the incident with the lorry happened on the way back).

Up into the hills now as I climb my way over to Llanwddyn.

Plenty of water behind the dam at the moment.

Making my way round the lake there is lots of standing water and occasionally debris washed into the road.

Roadside waterfall.

A peaceful place to stop for a bite of lunch (apart from the jet fighters occasionally flying overhead).

It's March, I'm in Wales, there had to be a shot with some daffs at some point.^_^

A parting look back at the hills from the top of the climb after Pen Y Bont Fawr. Until the next time.......

Last edited:
Yesterday's ride:

Despite my best hopes, March hasn't got off to a great start cycling-wise with things getting in the way or the weather being unpleasant. Yesterday though was forecast to be sunny with a light wind and with the state of affairs at the moment I thought I'd better get my challenge ride in for the month while I can.

Despite not really having enough recent miles in the legs I opted for the short version of my Lake Vyrnwy route and got on the road for 7am as usual. There was already plenty of traffic on the roads round Shrewsbury as I headed out to Montford Bridge and Great Ness but it got quieter past Pentre, into Knockin and the main road to Llynclys was so quiet that I wondered if the road had been blocked (it hadn't).

After my usual snack stop I met a motorcyclist at the Llynclys crossroads who pointed down the road to Knockin and asked if that was the right way for Snowdonia :blink:. I tried to get more out of him about where he was tring to get to but he would only say Snowdonia so I pointed him along the Tanat Valley road and explained that would go to Bala which was in the right direction. I hope he got where he was hoping to be.

Heading along that road myself I found the traffic was much as I'd expect to start with. On a whim I took a slight detour into Llanyblodwel just to see what it is like (nice little place with an appealing looking pub) then rejoined the main road. The traffic thinned out as I headed up the valley passing Llangedwyn, Pentre Felin, Llanrhaeadr Ym Mochnant, Pedair Ffordd and over the climb to Pen Y Bont Fawr. I had a quick drink stop here (and reported progress back to home as I don't get a phone signal anywhere round Lake Vyrnwy) then started the climb to Hirnant, making slow but steady progress. I got up the steep bit alright and enjoyed the descent to Llanwddyn despite the surface not being great. On the climb up to the dam there are temporary traffic lights where the roadside fencing is being replaced - it's not their intention at all but it also provided a safe place to stop and take a photo without having to worry about the traffic.

I had my usual stop by the dam for a bite to eat then proceeded to ride my first lap of the lake. At first it seemed very quiet with only a handful of vehicles passing and just a couple of runners to say hello to but just after halfway round I started to meet groups of cyclists which reassured me that I wouldn't be the only one at the cafe. It turned out that I wasn't by a long shot - Artisans was doing a reasonable trade and more people were arriving with their own bikes or looking to hire some.

For the second lap I started off slow as is usually the case for me but this time progress was more mixed than usual as the wind was picking up and was swinging round all over the place so that I never knew when to expect a headwind or a tailwind. I paused in a gateway at the far end of the lake to eat my lunch then carried on back to the dam, finally picking up the tailwind I was hopeful would take me much of the way home.

Climbing out of Llanwddyn again, the legs felt good considering I'd already passed the metric century but I still took it fairly easy as it steepened up. I took the alternative way back to Pen Y Bont Fawr and just when I thought things were going very well the legs cramped on the climb out of town. I don't know what it is about this particular climb but if I'm going to get cramp on this route it almost always starts just here. Fortunately it wasn't bad so i was able to ride through it by going down a gear and taking it gently. Once over this lump there is a great descent (hit 34 mph this time) then the trend is mostly downhill past Llanrhaeadr and back down the valley. There is usually more traffic on the way back and today was no exception.

At Pentre Felin a lorry overtook, in a good spot, leaving loads of room - I waved my thanks and the vehicle had just pulled back in when there was a Tinkle, Clatter, BANG, Hissssssssssss and something metallic came bouncing past me on the road. Fortunately we were just approaching the only layby on this stretch of road that could accomodate the size of vehicle and the driver pulled in while I stopped and went back along the road to retrieve the wheel nut wrench that had done the damage. My first thought was that the wrench had punctured a tyre but by the time I got to him the driver had looked underneath and found the air brake reservoir had been pierced. There have been plenty of times when I've fantasized that something like that would happen to a driver who has put me in danger - I wouldn't have wished it on this guy though.:sad:

There wasn't anything I could do to help so I carried on and with the wind still assisting, made some good progress. There were more polite drivers but getting back near Llanyblodwel a bus came past at a point where the road narrows and I needed to avoid a large pothole :angry: I just managed to jink round the hedge side of the pothole, looked back up and found the bus swerving back into my side of the road.:cursing: Not impressed by that.

Things went a little better after that but the cramp came back a bit at Porth Y Waen when I had to stop for a traffic light. I needed a rest stop at Llynclys then decided I wanted off the main road so headed through The Wood, Llwyn Y Go and Argoed, which was a risk as I didn't know whether the lane to Argoed would still be flooded (it wasn't but there was standing water either side of the road).

The wind was still mostly helping on the way to Pentre but very shortly afterwards I was flagging so I paused at Wilcott for a drink and jelly babies, which gave the energy to get up the next climb and made riding with a cross-wind to Montford Bridge easier than I'd anticipated. Cramp was back again for the climb over to Bicton and although I was able to drop a gear or two and ride through it, this was the worst of the trip. I was slow for the last few miles and very glad to reach home. Not the hardest century that I've ever done but tougher than it would have been if I'd been out more.

103.5 miles at 12.1 mph average (moving). 10 hours and 40 minutes total with all the stops.

View attachment 508778
Between Pentre and Kinnerley you can see that there is still lots of flood water round the Melverley area.

View attachment 508779
On my little side track: the bridge at Llanyblodwel (still in Shropshire despite the name).

View attachment 508780
The road up the valley to the hills. (coincidentally showing the exact place where the incident with the lorry happened on the way back).

View attachment 508781
Up into the hills now as I climb my way over to Llanwddyn.

View attachment 508782
Plenty of water behind the dam at the moment.

View attachment 508783
Making my way round the lake there is lots of standing water and occasionally debris washed into the road.

View attachment 508784
Roadside waterfall.

View attachment 508785
A peaceful place to stop for a bite of lunch (apart from the jet fighters occasionally flying overhead).

View attachment 508786
It's March, I'm in Wales, there had to be a shot with some daffs at some point.^_^

View attachment 508787
A parting look back at the hills from the top of the climb after Pen Y Bont Fawr. Until the next time.......
Thats some distance in that terrain!
Looking good for the weekend onwards, extremely ride-able weather coming up, i may need to 'work from home' a bit more 👍

Old jon

Guru
A bright morning again, and warmer, almost double figures. A good day to go out on a bike, so I chose the one with gears and went.

Locally there are still lots of holes where road used to be, arriving in Holbeck made things a lot easier. And out of there along the towpath was a peaceful couple of miles also. Cross the river on Viaduct Road and ride up to Headingley. Turn right, then left to point towards Otley. And keep riding up. One rider passed me, well quick, and another group of four soon afterwards. At this rate we could be in bigger numbers than the traffic. Maybe slightly optimistic there. Cross the Ring Road and for once both me and the bike decided to turn left onto Otley Old Road for more up to the top of Cookridge.

All things end, pass the water tower and the road descends, a bit of free speed there until the new mini roundabout is reached. I saw it in time. Just. A bit more downhill and after the right hand bend turn left to cross Bramhope Moor. A sharp climb gives a view of the airport once you reach the top, and some more height gain reaches the A658. Turn right onto that for more free speed all the way down to Pool. Today, do not cross the River Wharfe, turn left instead and ride to Otley for a munch stop.

And the way back. Up Leeds Road I go, being passed by two more cyclists on the way. Add in the riders seen travelling in the opposite direction this morning and we are well into double figures now, a most unusual Tuesday. Through Bramhope, passing the houseboat estate, more lifebelts have appeared around the pond at the end. I wonder, do they intend the water to be permanent? Anyway, turn left to climb Kings Road and after that a right takes me through Adel and back to the A660. Headingley and Kirkstall, realised I had not taken a video, so here is the lumpiest stretch of towpath I rode along today.

Home via the usual trundle through a corner of Hunslet, reaching my door after thirty one miles of road and 1800 feet of up. A ride well worth a smile.

Knotted tarmac

17032020.jpg

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
A 9.10 mile round trip ride into town today to ScrewFix for paint then the supermarket for some shopping, where I witnessed a most dismal display of human behaviour. Some people should be ashamed of themselves.

We went on the hybrids, mine has developed a a bit of a rattle, I think I’m going to have to strip it down and sort it out.
No photos today, just not in the mood, soz.

KingswayRider

Über Member
Three of us on the club ride today .... @KingswayRider, Alex the glaswegian and me. They moderated their pace a bit for me, but it was still an effort keeping up at times, particularly on the two climbs, though I guess that is good for me. A decent ride out to the farm shop cafe at Tortworth and back, spoiled only by a couple of cold showers and a brief hailstorm. When my bread pudding turned up at the cafe, it was the size of my barbag and dense as clay. Couldn't manage it all!

The moment of the day was seeing Alex have to slow down in front of me when descending through Elmore as a line of ducks waddled across the road slowly, claiming right of way. That's another 45.9 miles added to the total. The weather was just a bit too inclement for me to add another 17 to make it my metric century for March. That will have to wait.

Cheers, Donger.
Apologies on leaving you & Alex behind on the A38 - I needed to be back (too long spent in the cafe waiting for you to demolish that slab of pudding). Had enough miles in before meeting to ensure I hit 50, but no time to squeeze in the extra for a metric.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Today I'd arranged to go out for a ride with @Dark46 .... possibly the last for some time, what with the ever-changing instructions about Coronavirus. I was also keen to keep my run of metric century rides going, this being my 63rd consecutive month with a 100km ride. I wonder whether this will be possible in April and May?

It didn't start well this morning. Quite apart from the forecast sunshine never materialising, and the day being dull, grey and drizzly, I also had bike problems. Before I'd got even a mile down the road, I was being driven mad by a creak from the saddle and a clunk and grind from (I think, through a process of elimination) a pedal. I turned back for a pit stop, got it on the workstand, swapped the rear wheel and oiled everything that moved and tried it out again, with no improvement whatsoever. Nothing for it. had to switch over to number 2 bike. Annoyingly, due to the cable positions, this meant unpacking my large bar bag and stowing everything in my small one and my rear pockets instead. 20 minutes lost right at the start.

Did quite a nice loop taking in Frampton, Whitminster and Epney before heading for Kingsway to link up with @Dark46 after about 26 miles. On the way I came within 2 feet of a kestrel that was busy dispatching a pigeon at the side of the road, and then heard the sound of a busy little woodpecker nearby. Once I got going again with @Dark46 , we did a slightly larger loop, taking in also Arlingham, Kingsway and Tuffley, before I threw in one final loop in Quedgeley on my way home from his place. Here is @Dark46 looking resplendent in his Epilepsy Awareness purple base layer (just in case you were inclined to balk at the awful colour co-ordination):

We bumped into @KingswayRider coming the other way having done his metric century ride for the month .... at a point where I still had 35 miles to go. In the end, 63.1 miles (101.5km) for me today.

Still in the Metric Century-a-Month Challenge .... and intend to keep it going so long as it is legal.
Take care with this horrible pandemic everyone. Cheers, Donger.

Last edited:

Old jon

Guru
A bit of a damp start to the day, which always makes things feel colder. Still not shed a winter layer yet so temperature is no big deal and an escape from all the current doom and gloom seemed a good idea. Go pedal!

Off to travel the depths of Holbeck on the way to Hunslet, ‘cos I have not been that way for a while, about a week. No firm idea of a route just reach John o’ Gaunts and decide then. Straight on to Oulton roundabout was the choice, and turn right there. Up to that point the view had been tarmac and housing, now there is grass and the odd stretch of woodland all the way to Rothwell. Which is not very far. Carlton and Robin Hood are next, separated by short stretches of fields. Cross the A61 at the Halfway House and up to Thorpe on the Hill. Only now, looking at the map, have I seen that all this since Oulton has been on the A654.

Still on that same road, reach Middleton Park Avenue and turn right onto it. Keep on this until reaching the Ring Road and turn left. There is a water tower further along on the right, Middleton Park itself is the other side of that. Not far now, down the hill to the Tommy Wass and turn right onto Dewsbury Road, which is downhill again. It feels odd to reach home from this direction, I rarely ride around this way. But odd or not, a grin for reaching home after fourteen and a half miles.

The map . . .

18032020.jpg

C R

Guru
Short ride to drop a laptop to be used by someone who has been asked to self isolate. I looked out of the window and thought it was just a bit of drizzle. After about a mile it was proper raining, and I was dripping wet by the time I arrived to the drop off.

7.3 wet, but nonetheless enjoyable miles.

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
Short ride to drop a laptop to be used by someone who has been asked to self isolate. I looked out of the window and thought it was just a bit of drizzle. After about a mile it was proper raining, and I was dripping wet by the time I arrived to the drop off.

7.3 wet, but nonetheless enjoyable miles.
Hope the laptop was still dry :ohmy:

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
A grey cloudy day, and still a bit of wind about. I took the Kingpin to Didcot Town Football club to give a blood donation, a smidge under 8 mile round trip on a mostly traffic free route.

This bench is designed to represent the Furrow and Ridge field in the background.

They walk among us.

Just saying.

A bit of urban vandalism.

The map.

Dark46

Veteran
Another great ride with @Donger yesterday just a pity the weather wasnt as it was predicted.

@Donger met me 26 miles into his monthly metric century ride, so we set with a route in mind as he had already covered some of the route.

It was amazing to see how much the wawr level had dropped in the last week. Due to the levels that the water had got to the amount of white goods that was damaged from people's home was terrible, to see it all out for collection.

There wasn't much wind at the start of he ride either which is always good, but as we headed downhill into Arlingham we met a cross wind.

It seemed as though the rats in the area had been hit hard as there were plenty of dead ones on the sides of the roads, definitely not a bad thing! It does show your never very far from a dirty rat!

From Arlingham the cross wind really made a difference as did the ride across Frampton Green , the red back across the Green was great though . A few times because of reduced traffic there were people walking in the road. Even without a bell this wasn't a issue, all I had to do was cough about four times and everyone moved out of the way quite quickly!!

So it was another great 35 miles in the books with @Donger bringing my year to 150 miles so it's all heading in the right direction

Attachments

• 20200317_132052.jpg
    20200317_132052.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Pete M rolled up to the meet. We maintained an appropriate distance apart according to advice. We aimed at The Hams finding that the floods were in retreat. We just got past Great House Lane and were stopped by the floods. Retracing we climbed up past The Great House and onwards onto Wickridge Street. We dropped to Ashleworth as other riders came the other way. We took to the busy bit of road to get us to Tibberton for some easy miles to Birdwood and the cafe. Lots of handwashing and keeping our distance ensued.
We sat out a shower and then headed for the bikes after more handwashing. But Pete's rear tyre was flat. Sorted the rain started again. We headed out anyway and it didn't last long at all. We avoided May Hill by rounding it's flanks through Newent Wood. Then past the Birds of Prey Centre took us to Newent. From there we rode through some of the best wild daffodil lanes to Dymock and Ryton. We took the flood dodge at Bromsberrow and dived into the Castlemorton Lanes to complete a pleasant if slightly damp ride. I'd used some lanes that don't see my tyres very much at all so that's a bonus. 64 smiles

Top Bottom