Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Always fancied doing a bit of rowing. Growing up in Poole I used to row an awful lot in my little dingy, but team rowing in races must be great.
View attachment 508379
Seemed fairly quiet by the river Dee in Chester on the way back, i guess its one of those tourist cities that will feel the impact over the coming weeks.
View attachment 508380
So, 24 miles out into the Welsh borders and back. Thank god I binned off the Specialized saddle that came with the bike, Prologo is much comfier!
I have two Prologo Kappa`s with the cut out and they are comfortable, in my case with the nose down about 3mm.

Ok no worries, I went the other way as my best bike came with a Prologo and I couldn't get on with it.
Did you try it with a slight nose down attitude ? It made the difference from being uncomfortable to comfortable. At one time I was going to sell them until I tried again with the nose down. No I don`t slide !

The Fragrant MrsP went out with her bestie today, so I went out with mine, which manifests itself as a Trek Domane SL5.

My original plan was to go over to the Aston Pottery Cafe, but the weather was bit naff today and after about three miles or so in Rowstock I realised the wind was going to be a right pain.

Along the busy A417 towards Wantage making a right past Ardington to Grove Park then right again near Williams F1 over the railway bridge and then left on what looked like a paved bridleway, a track I have never been down before, it was mostly paved too, but after about a mile it tuned into a hard pack track and I wondered how my new precious would cope with it, well, it coped very well thanks very much.

This new track brought i me out in West Hannay so I thought I knew where I was, riding out of the village I turned right thinking I was going towards Southmoor but I went to Garford instead which was in the wrong direction. No matter on to Frilford and left at the lights to Millet's Farm Shop for refreshments, this turned out to be the seventh dimension of hell. The cafe was rammed, no self isolation going on there.

After about two years I got served with a lank sausage roll, some kind of a chocolate thing and some tea in a pretentious glass pot.

Got out of there and away from the whinging brats and came back home via Frilford where some twunt close passed me in a Merc, then to Gozzards Ford, Abingdon, Steventon and home.

It didn't seem to matter what direction I rode today there was wind, and quite frankly it got quite irksome. Still it was nice to get decent ride in and my new bike is just ACE, I'm so glad I chose it out of all the other I considered.
View attachment 508401

View attachment 508402

View attachment 508404

View attachment 508405

30.18 windy miles. View attachment 508442
I still want your Trek 😀

I can give it a go, it is on my pub bike at present, but I have always been a nose up rider so maybe the "up / down" argument may vary from saddle to saddle. No harm in trying it.
I thought the same as you, as an earlier saddle with a nose down "inclination" led me to sliding forward. Worth a try. One thing I also like about it is that it has a fairly narrow nose so does`nt brush my legs.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
We went on our hybrids to the shops today, it was drizzling a bit when we left, by the time we got to town it was pissing down. We did the shopping and decided to make a loop of it and headed for the Costa a couple of miles away, got there soaking wet and it was shut.
We couldn’t have been more soaked so we went to the garden centre about 3 miles further when the rain really started to come down. Anyway the cafe was open there, we had lunch, hoping the rain would stop. It didn’t and the 2.5 miles we got even more soaked, still at least the wind was behind us.

11.87 sodden cold miles today.

Last edited:
After a few days break from cycling I was up for a ride this morning before the forecasted rain came. As it was dry it would be my first outing on the summer bike since 30th October. I had worked out a route in my head which would be about 24 miles and confirmed it with an on line map. As I have been over the same ground so manytimes this winter because of the wet and muddy roads it was nice to do a different route.
I headed firstly to Old Newton via B1113 and then to Haughley. From Haughley I went under the A14 and up towards Shelland Green, Woolpit Green and Drinkstone, Gedding and Felsham. I encounted the good old wind which we have come to hate these past months. In all fairness it was`nt too bad, only 18mph with the odd gust of 29mph. Now I know why I take out the Claude Butler in the winter and when it is windy, the carbon is harder to keep in a straight line but then my weight of 10st does`nt help !
I had`nt realised how rough the surface of the road was near Gedding Hall, considering it was slightly down hill I should have been flying. Once at Felsham it was a steady ride to Rattlesden following the River Rat and then coming out near Stowmarket golf course. Further downhill past the Shepherd & Dog pub and the Combs lane back to Stowmarket. That was where I nearly got taken out. There were two on coming vehicles who wanted to turn right. I was a bit surprised when the first one did and even more so when the second one thought he`d follow suit until he saw me and the look of horror on his face. I always assume they are going to do something stupid and he was. If he`d looked afterwards he`d seen my shaking fist. No harm done.
I had the camera with me for a change so got some shots, does`nt the stop starting slow you down ? A good ride with 24.3 miles at an average of 14.4 knots ( from another thread !) that is 16.6 mph with 1007 feet of up. I have two wishes at the moment 1, Not to have wind 2, Can it be warmer so I don`t have to wear as much attire and oh I bet make it three wishes 3, That we can stay free of the Coronavirus

Kryton521

Über Member
Actually enjoyed my loop today. Having felt so ill yesterday, todays ride, "well, if I'm going to die I want one more ride on me bike!"

Out of Bridgend and onto Ewenny, [Can spell it, can't pronounce it properly apparently!] Ogmore, tide was in, very grey sea! Continued the loop and headed into Cowbridge where I thought I'd stop at my Sisters for a coffee.
Sadly I person on a bike coming towards me, dressed head to foot Ninja style, no lights and even dark glasses??? Anyway, I waved my friendly wave, was completely blanked! "Arrogant T*sser!" mutters I.
Why ignore a fellow cyclist? If he was time trialling I'd have let him go on his way, but just to be "too cool" is b*llocks. Really annoyed me, almost as much as the armpit sniffing dipsh*t that close passed me later on!

64.2 kms and very wet too!

Actually enjoyed my loop today. Having felt so ill yesterday, todays ride, "well, if I'm going to die I want one more ride on me bike!"

Out of Bridgend and onto Ewenny, [Can spell it, can't pronounce it properly apparently!] Ogmore, tide was in, very grey sea! Continued the loop and headed into Cowbridge where I thought I'd stop at my Sisters for a coffee.
Sadly I person on a bike coming towards me, dressed head to foot Ninja style, no lights and even dark glasses??? Anyway, I waved my friendly wave, was completely blanked! "Arrogant T*sser!" mutters I.
Why ignore a fellow cyclist? If he was time trialling I'd have let him go on his way, but just to be "too cool" is b*llocks. Really annoyed me, almost as much as the armpit sniffing dipsh*t that close passed me later on!

64.2 kms and very wet too!
I saw 6 cyclists today, all but one either waved or smiled or nodded. The one was I guess like your one, head straight ahead and blanked me, perhaps he was as blind as a bat !

AndreaJ

Veteran
It was late afternoon before I had time to get out today which turned out to be a good idea as it had stopped raining, the sun was shining and was actually almost warm without the wind. Didn’t have too much time so a short route was planned into Whixall where a lady leaving church almost flattened me, even when she did see me she just carried on! I try to avoid the Sunday church drivers as they are almost as bad as the school run drivers but they fooled me with their afternoon service. I carried on into Whixall turning over the canal to Fenns Bank and Fenns Wood , down to Blackloe, back over the canal up to Alkington, past a field of black and white lambs, turned to Tilstock and back to Whixall, Hollinswood, Coton, Edstaston, Creamore, Horton, into Loppington as far as the duck pond where I turned to Lyneal through a few floods which aren’t deep now so didn’t get wet, past the caravan site to Northwood and back home. 26.26 miles @15.4 mph on a lovely sunny afternoon much better than the rain and wind we have been having.

C R

Guru
Today was my second sportive ever, the 75km route of Ride the Reservoir. I heard about it from @StickyPTFE, and with it being fairly close to home, and an interesting route, I decided to register.

The forecast for this morning along the route had been getting progressively worse, and last night it said heavy rain, aided by a 14mph head breeze. I went to bed thinking that I would skip it if it was chucking down in the morning, I would not go. The weather looked ok at 7, so I had breakfast, put the bike in the car and off I went.

As I drove up the M5 the weather got progressively worse, and by the time I got to the start it was raining steadily, though luckily not hard, and the wind was lighter than it had been forecast. The slight hick-up was that I had forgotten my water bottle, but I had everything else, so no big deal in a cool day like today. Registration was very efficient, and I was off with the second wave shortly after 8:30. With all the excitement I forgot to start my Garmin, and only noticed after a mile or so, easily fixed.

The group I was riding with were taking it a bit too easy, so I went ahead on my own, past Frankley services, over the M5, and down to the bottom of the climb to Romsley. I had to stop to adjust the mudguards a bit, as I was getting some rubbing in both tires, but it was easily fixed, and then I got on with the climb. It wasn't particularly steep overall, but it had a couple of steepish ramps, and at 3 miles long, I had been concerned I may not have a low enough gear in the new bike. At the end it was hard, but I managed to make it all the way without stopping, and I even overtook a few riders.

After the climb there's an equally long descent on the other side, so I just let gravity do the work on the way through Bell End and Bellbroughton. Past Bellbroughton I stopped again as now my rear disc was scraping occasionally. I tried reseating the wheel, but I couldn't get rid of the scraping all together, it didn't seem too serious, so I carried on, but some fettling will be required during the week.

Next destination was Chaddesley Corbett, and then turn towards Wychbold, but route turned North again at the just before the M5 underpass, heading for the food stop at Bournheath. On the way there stopped to try and help a rider who had a puncture. He was riding tubeless, but had a biggish hole from a machine screw, which would not seal. He didn't have a worm to fill the hole, or tyre levers to put a tube in. We tried to take the tire out with my levers, but it wouldn't come out, so he called his wife to come and pick him up, as we were still a few miles away from the pit stop and mechanical support, and he lived locally.

There was a lot of standing water in the lanes, but the mudguards were doing their job, keeping my backside mud free, and the scraping seemed to be gone.

By the time I got to the food stop the rain seemed to be fading, and the day seemed to be getting lighter. My gloves, though, felt rather heavy, and I couldn't believe how much water I wrung out of them. On top of that, water wicked from the gloves up the sleeves of my top under the waterproof, and my arms were wet up to my elbows, otherwise, my waterproof jacket was doing its job.

I had a coffee and some cake, and warmed up my hands, and then I was on the way for the last third of the ride, via Catshill and Barnt Green, up the Lickey Hills for the last climb of the day. I missed a turn just before Rubery, and found myself and another rider who had followed me, trying to work out where we were with respect to the route. We found it thanks to google maps, and soon we were over the A38 heading towards the end.

It had now stopped raining, and I got to the finish in my expected time of four hours from the start, with three and a half hours riding.

Lovely route, and great organisation, shame about the rain.

The map

Screenshot_20200315-221450.png

Jenkins

Legendary Member
A shortish (for me) ride today - one of the Shed foreman on Felixstowe Dock is taking early retirement and it was his last day and presentation today. I've known him for years and he's a geat bloke so I wanted to attend, but I first had to go in to work to pick up my Port pass & hi-viz jacket (port regulations for the work area) then across the dock to the Shed for the presentation. Once that was completed I left the Dock and headed for Lidl to pick up a couple of rolls for work intending to go straight home, but the sun came out! Being on the Bootzipper I decided to take the off road route home - over the A14 and onto a series of bridleways that gave me a chance to look at the diversion & new bridge installed over the rail line replacing a series of crossings that have been closed as part of line's upgrade. The new part is fine, but it's stll deep mud in other parts and a couple of fallen trees requiring the bike to be lifted over in the Finger Bread Hill area.
Screenshot_2020-03-15 Sunday Slog Ride Strava.png
Screenshot_2020-03-15 Sunday Slog Ride Strava(1).png

Last edited:
Top Bottom