Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr Celine

Discordian
Saturday's planned trip to the fitba was obviously cancelled so I went for a consoling bike ride instead. Unfortunately it appeared that everyone that normally spends Saturday afternoon playing or watching sport decided to go for a drive instead and get their own sport by close passing cyclists.
The wind was at least as strong and gusty as forecast which meant the 19 miles up Yarrowdale to the Gordon Arms was a bit of a slog. I didn't realise until half way up the Paddy Slacks that the now tailwind was so strong I was climbing in my big ring. The descent was even better, a lot faster than I've been down it even on the best bike.
Eventually the wind abated enough for a photo stop.
This is looking back up Tweeddale towards the snow capped Windlestraw Law.

And this is from the same location looking downstream -

The map -
1584312081118.png

40 miles @ 13.9 mph, 644m up.

tyred

Legendary Member
53 miles today and I saved on brake pads as the headwind was mostly so strong I didn't require brakes! A variation of a ride I often do through the National park but things were different today - substantial reduction in traffic on the roads, the chapel I pass clearly had cancelled their morning Mass. I have rarely saw so many kids out playing in gardens, so many people out walking and cycling (not just the roadie brigade but ordinary people in ordinary clothes riding everything from rusty old three-speeds to cheap double bouncers to old steel road bikes and steel mountain bikes - basically whatever was lying in the shed I think). Clearly the increasingly shut down country has forced people to find other ways of passing their Sunday. My favourite cafe at the castle has closed for the duration of the virus thing so I had took my own bacon sandwiches. I had hoped for an alfresco picnic but the hailstone showers drove me into the sheltered picnic area which has nice lakeside views through the windows. Due to the cancellation of the national park bus service I used the tarmac paths reserved for the minibuses rather than the loose gravel path I normally use. Nice day, despite the wind and hale and a nice place to eat one's bacon sandwich and shelter from the storm!

StickyPTFE

Today was my second sportive ever, the 75km route of Ride the Reservoir. I heard about it from @StickyPTFE, and with it being fairly close to home, and an interesting route, I decided to register.

The forecast for this morning along the route had been getting progressively worse, and last night it said heavy rain, aided by a 14mph head breeze. I went to bed thinking that I would skip it if it was chucking down in the morning, I would not go. The weather looked ok at 7, so I had breakfast, put the bike in the car and off I went.

As I drove up the M5 the weather got progressively worse, and by the time I got to the start it was raining steadily, though luckily not hard, and the wind was lighter than it had been forecast. The slight hick-up was that I had forgotten my water bottle, but I had everything else, so no big deal in a cool day like today. Registration was very efficient, and I was off with the second wave shortly after 8:30. With all the excitement I forgot to start my Garmin, and only noticed after a mile or so, easily fixed.

The group I was riding with were taking it a bit too easy, so I went ahead on my own, past Frankley services, over the M5, and down to the bottom of the climb to Romsley. I had to stop to adjust the mudguards a bit, as I was getting some rubbing in both tires, but it was easily fixed, and then I got on with the climb. It wasn't particularly steep overall, but it had a couple of steepish ramps, and at 3 miles long, I had been concerned I may not have a low enough gear in the new bike. At the end it was hard, but I managed to make it all the way without stopping, and I even overtook a few riders.

After the climb there's an equally long descent on the other side, so I just let gravity do the work on the way through Bell End and Bellbroughton. Past Bellbroughton I stopped again as now my rear disc was scraping occasionally. I tried reseating the wheel, but I couldn't get rid of the scraping all together, it didn't seem too serious, so I carried on, but some fettling will be required during the week.

Next destination was Chaddesley Corbett, and then turn towards Wychbold, but route turned North again at the just before the M5 underpass, heading for the food stop at Bournheath. On the way there stopped to try and help a rider who had a puncture. He was riding tubeless, but had a biggish hole from a machine screw, which would not seal. He didn't have a worm to fill the hole, or tyre levers to put a tube in. We tried to take the tire out with my levers, but it wouldn't come out, so he called his wife to come and pick him up, as we were still a few miles away from the pit stop and mechanical support, and he lived locally.

There was a lot of standing water in the lanes, but the mudguards were doing their job, keeping my backside mud free, and the scraping seemed to be gone.

By the time I got to the food stop the rain seemed to be fading, and the day seemed to be getting lighter. My gloves, though, felt rather heavy, and I couldn't believe how much water I wrung out of them. On top of that, water wicked from the gloves up the sleeves of my top under the waterproof, and my arms were wet up to my elbows, otherwise, my waterproof jacket was doing its job.

I had a coffee and some cake, and warmed up my hands, and then I was on the way for the last third of the ride, via Catshill and Barnt Green, up the Lickey Hills for the last climb of the day. I missed a turn just before Rubery, and found myself and another rider who had followed me, trying to work out where we were with respect to the route. We found it thanks to google maps, and soon we were over the A38 heading towards the end.

It had now stopped raining, and I got to the finish in my expected time of four hours from the start, with three and a half hours riding.

Lovely route, and great organisation, shame about the rain.

The map

View attachment 508603
I was there yesterday. You are right, the conditions were appalling.

Funniliy enough, I hit a pothole and split my mudguard in two about 20KM in. Was absolutly soaked through by that point anyway so I had to get on with it.

Proud of myself for finishing but I can't say I enjoyed myself at the time. Stopped Strava on the way home as I didn't want to ruin my average speed.

1584365936057.png

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I rode the Mad March 200 from Cranbrook, nr Exeter yesterday. We had solid rain for most of the day, until around 3pm. It's a lumpy ride with four tough climbs: from N Molton on to Exmoor, before descending to Witheridge; up out of Witheridge (20%); up Quarme Hill (only single chevrons); and finally back over the Quantocks from the East side up past Dead Woman's Ditch.

Not far from the finish, as it got dark, we encountered a very deep ford over (or rather through) the Clyst near Broadclyst. Richard was ahead of me wading through. Luckily he found the edge of the tarmac without falling in, so we stayed out of the river proper (it wasn't entirely clear which was road and which river).

I rode the Mad March 200 from Cranbrook, nr Exeter yesterday. We had solid rain for most of the day, until around 3pm. It's a lumpy ride with four tough climbs: from N Molton on to Exmoor, before descending to Witheridge; up out of Witheridge (20%); up Quarme Hill (only single chevrons); and finally back over the Quantocks from the East side up past Dead Woman's Ditch.

Not far from the finish, as it got dark, we encountered a very deep ford over (or rather through) the Clyst near Broadclyst. Richard was ahead of me wading through. Luckily he found the edge of the tarmac without falling in, so we stayed out of the river proper (it wasn't entirely clear which was road and which river).

View attachment 508651

It's funny when a map comes up like this: when you passed Wellington you'd have been fairly close to a house I used to live in...

C R

Guru
I was there yesterday. You are right, the conditions were appalling.

Funniliy enough, I hit a pothole and split my mudguard in two about 20KM in. Was absolutly soaked through by that point anyway so I had to get on with it.

Proud of myself for finishing but I can't say I enjoyed myself at the time. Stopped Strava on the way home as I didn't want to ruin my average speed.

View attachment 508648
Shame about the mudguard, and well done for persevering. At least there was no wind to speak of.

The bit that surprised me was how many people were riding without mudguards :eek:.

Mrs M

Guru
Went out today at cowboy time 0950 :blush:
Heading into town but a last minute diversion sent me back the way :laugh:
Never mind just found an alternative route :tongue:
Gave a stunnng greyhound a wide pass, said hello and got a lovely, excited response, big guy was jumping all over the place :wub: big grin from owner too, (j’adore greyhounds) :smile:
Went home and picked up the backpack, wee shopping trip then home.
Cooking chilli burgers for tonight :hungry:
xx

AndreaJ

Veteran
More sunshine today so as that’s 2 days in a row I decided it must be spring which meant the first ride this year in 3/4 tights and summer gloves, wasn’t brave enough to risk shorts or short sleeves though. As it was such a lovely morning I planned a longer ride with a tour of some of North Shropshire’s meres. I started towards Northwood, turned to Bettisfield on what must a contender for the worst road in Shropshire, dodged the potholes/ craters and splashed through the one flood which is left, turned back to Welshampton, Coptiviney, past Ellesmere Mere turning up to Trench, back to Elson, Ellesmere, past the front of Ellesmere College for a change to Tetchill, Lee, past Whitemere and onto Colemere, Lyneal, Burlton, Myddle, Nonely, Wem, Barkers Green where there was a road closed sign. While I was deciding wether or not to ignore it 2 cars came out so I ignored it and carried on to find a small hole Severn Trent had made at the side of the lane was the reason it was shut which wasn’t blocking the road at all, turned to Aston back into Wem just in time for the level crossing barriers to come down which was just enough time to have a snack before going through Wem, Creamore, Horton and back home. 44.35miles @14.8mph on a lovely spring day. It’s surprising how quickly everything starts growing on the verges and hedge banks after a bit of sun, lots of flowers starting to come out now. Even the traffic was better behaved apart from an idiot in a BMW who didn’t leave much room as he passed despite having a bike on the back of his car!

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Another eccentric ride today on a stunningly beautiful spring day.
Some of the Dawes Kingpin FB group decided to do another group ride on our 40-50 year old shopping bikes. I bunged the bike in the back of the car drove to Staines and got the train to Clapham Station where the meeting point was.
Five of us gathered two on Raleigh Twenty’s and three on Kingpins.

We rode north first to the Thames and along the Thames path to mouth of the Wandle and broadly followed the Wandle Way riding through Wandsworth, Merton and to Carshalton Ponds, we stopped at a couple of places for coffee and cake on the way.

The route was mostly on traffic free roads and through parks, spring was in the air and it was nice to escape all the doom and gloom.

I saw Koi Carp, Herons, Geese today, folks where out enjoy the parks with their families and dogs.
After lunch at Carshalton ponds we made our way to Croydon station where we went our separate ways home.

A lovely day.

Wandsworth Bridge in the distance.

The mouth of the river Wandle

A cycle speedway track in Garratt Park where the five of us did a one lap individual time trial each. I won.

Water mill

This community garden lots of the decor is made up of rubbish dredged out of the river.

Carshalton ponds. There’s a heron where the red arrow is.

The map 16 miles.

Mrs M

Guru
Another eccentric ride today on a stunningly beautiful spring day.
Some of the Dawes Kingpin FB group decided to do another group ride on our 40-50 year old shopping bikes. I bunged the bike in the back of the car drove to Staines and got the train to Clapham Station where the meeting point was.
Five of us gathered two on Raleigh Twenty’s and three on Kingpins.

We rode north first to the Thames and along the Thames path to mouth of the Wandle and broadly followed the Wandle Way riding through Wandsworth, Merton and to Carshalton Ponds, we stopped at a couple of places for coffee and cake on the way.

The route was mostly on traffic free roads and through parks, spring was in the air and it was nice to escape all the doom and gloom.

I saw Koi Carp, Herons, Geese today, folks where out enjoy the parks with their families and dogs.
After lunch at Carshalton ponds we made our way to Croydon station where we went our separate ways home.

A lovely day.
View attachment 508713
Wandsworth Bridge in the distance.
View attachment 508714
The mouth of the river Wandle
View attachment 508715

View attachment 508716

View attachment 508717
A cycle speedway track in Garratt Park where the five of us did a one lap individual time trial each. I won.
View attachment 508718
Water mill
View attachment 508719

This community garden lots of the decor is made up of rubbish dredged out of the river.
View attachment 508720

Carshalton ponds. There’s a heron where the red arrow is.
View attachment 508721
The map 16 miles.
Love it!
Who’d of though these wee bikes would be having fun days out at this age :okay: :tongue:

I resisted the urge this morning for a ride, well actually I had jobs to do. It was dull anyway and they had forecast sun by about 4.00. I went off at 2.45 and up to Bacton on the usual route as I had an errand to do en-route, just dropping something off. Where was the wind today ? Gone ? Banished or what ? Actually it felt as if I was going into wind in every direction and averaged 17.3 mph for a change. Windspeed was actually 6 mph Westerly. By about 3:15 the sun came out and lit up the countryside. I marveled the pictures @EltonFrog took today in sunshine.
The roads were pretty quiet traffic wise, I did see two other cyclists and one guy in a 4x4 Ute who did`nt want to slow down on a single track road coming towards me. He did in the end when he realised that I was`nt going to cycle right by the verge. He`d just gone past a passing place which was where I expected him to stop at, after all he would if I had been a car or on second thoughts perhaps not.
Has anyone else noticed how many road signs have rusted away just lately and are either bent or just flattened ? The wind I am sure has played a big part in their demise rather that RTA`s.
Second ride out on the summer bike, this is habit forming I think. Roads were dry and 10 degrees. Legs felt it today after some of the gardening and other jobs. Sorry no photos, not even the kestrel who was too busy preening as I cycled past it, sitting on a telegraph wire. Oh well, happy days.

Top Bottom