Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dark46

Veteran
Another great ride today with @Donger . For me it was a 35 mile ride which is my longest this year to date.
It was perfect cycling weather but in places the roads were under water a few times and my feet were underwater a couple of times .

@Donger looking out across the river Severn.

It was a great ride going a similar route that we have done recently but changing the end of the route to get a few more miles in.
Riding with @Donger and with a lovely mug of coffee and a ginger slice thrown in the stop how could anyone complain.

Last edited:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
A cobweb blower today and I needed some milk, so I took the Kingpin out as the roads were dry ( the brakes are effing useless even worse when wet) and there’s a bit of sun out and the Kingpin hasn’t been cleaned & put away since Saturdays shenanigans. Just a 6.15 miler along the railway track through council estate and up to the little Sainsbury’s. In the car park was the the maroon Morris Minor pictured below. A shiny silver sixpence if you can guess what year it is. On the way back I rode through the new cramped housing estate that four years ago used to be farm land.
View attachment 508222
Which is older, the bike or the car?
View attachment 508223

View attachment 508224

A tidy restoration, apart from the wheels which look naff in the context of the rest of the car.

Can't see if it has a split screen, and the shiny coachwork makes dating the car little more than guesswork.

I will go for 1968.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
A cobweb blower today and I needed some milk, so I took the Kingpin out as the roads were dry ( the brakes are effing useless even worse when wet) and there’s a bit of sun out and the Kingpin hasn’t been cleaned & put away since Saturdays shenanigans. Just a 6.15 miler along the railway track through council estate and up to the little Sainsbury’s. In the car park was the the maroon Morris Minor pictured below. A shiny silver sixpence if you can guess what year it is. On the way back I rode through the new cramped housing estate that four years ago used to be farm land.
View attachment 508222
Which is older, the bike or the car?
View attachment 508223

View attachment 508224
1967 at a guess or F plate
A tidy restoration, apart from the wheels which look naff in the context of the rest of the car.

Can't see if it has a split screen, and the shiny coachwork makes dating the car little more than guesswork.

I will go for 1968.

I agree about the wheels, they look naff but the rest of the car looked nice.
The car was newest J plate 1971. The Dawes Kingpin is a 1967.

Oxford Dave

Another short (11 mile) ride this morning, got away good and early by half seven, so the roads were fairly quiet. Last ride for a while with my Aussie friend as he flies home later today, but plans to return next year with his wife, who is also a keen cyclist. We stopped for a cuppa on the way round, home about nine.
Really enjoying the Dawes Super Galaxy I bought a few weeks ago, a real smooth and easy ride.

I agree about the wheels, they look naff but the rest of the car looked nice.
The car was newest J plate 1971. The Dawes Kingpin is a 1967.
There also looks like an add on console on the dash, probably Carlos Fandango or Harry Moss gauges. There are also headrests, what were those in that era on a Morry Minor ? I like to see a car restored to how it was but each to their own. Still, I am sure it still turns heads. I bet the engine has been tweaked with some kind of wide bore exhaust so it will not sound like a Morris Minor of years gone by.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
There also looks like an add on console on the dash, probably Carlos Fandango or Harry Moss gauges. There are also headrests, what were those in that era on a Morry Minor ? I like to see a car restored to how it was but each to their own. Still, I am sure it still turns heads. I bet the engine has been tweaked with some kind of wide bore exhaust so it will not sound like a Morris Minor of years gone by.
Yes, the bloke did try and bore the arse off me about the tweaks and bits, the car seats were Recaro or summat.

Oxford Dave

It's not a Morris Minor without that distinctive bark on the over run. My first two cars were Morris Travellers, still miss them.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
We had a very well used Minor pick up as a breakdown tender at the garage where I used to work.

As the owner told me: "That little vehicle has earned me a fortune."

We put a Mr Bibendum Michelin man on the roof, but took him off because the air resistance slowed the pick up down too much on the motorway.

Always fancied doing a bit of rowing. Growing up in Poole I used to row an awful lot in my little dingy, but team rowing in races must be great.
20200314_124140.jpg

Seemed fairly quiet by the river Dee in Chester on the way back, i guess its one of those tourist cities that will feel the impact over the coming weeks.
20200314_124221.jpg

So, 24 miles out into the Welsh borders and back. Thank god I binned off the Specialized saddle that came with the bike, Prologo is much comfier!

Old jon

Guru
A ride out with the Leeds Cycling Campaign again today. The ‘Easy’ ride included two hills I walked up, but I was on the fixed.

The usual, so far, start point just opposite the big gates at Roundhay Park, a dozen or so riders turned up. A bit of discussion about a café stop, not today, and off we went. Turn right onto Park Lane, down the hill to the Ring Road, straight across to climb Roundhay Park Lane up to Slaid Hill. I just ran out of legs maybe two thirds of the way up. Ah well. Turn right again, and ride through Shadwell, up the first bit of Carr Lane, which levels out a bit once across the A58. And into Thorner. As I suspected, we would leave the village on Milner Lane. So I walked that bit at the top, to one of the local Thorner Lanes and rode along that to Scarcroft.

Back across the A58 onto Syke Lane, to Tarn Lane, onto Wike Ridge Lane and back to Slaid Hill. After a stop for some chatter we split into two groups, one went back the short way, down the first hill I had walked. The other group, including me, did a couple of zigs and zags and a short stretch of Harrogate Road. I turned off on Street Lane to return to the ride start point, and from there to the clock at Oakwood. Turned right at the lights there, and waiting to cross is a good friend I have not seen in a while. Stopped and nattered for a while, ‘tis good when that can happen, and we went our ways. Me to skirt round the edge of town before crossing the river and riding the last bit of up to home. Turned into the street, a few drops of rain fell and I had ridden twenty three and a half miles. With a grin.

Some riding drawn squiggles . . .

14032020.jpg

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Jules H, Rob A, Pete M and Margaret PR and I met in Upton. Keith W was passing so we had a chat. He was meeting with June P who I'd waved to on my ride over. We took to the school where the floods had parted to let us through. Down at The Mythe Rob decided it was time to head back and at Bredon's Hardwick Margaret also headed homeward. So just the three of us rounded the southern flanks of Bredon Hill to see how the new incumbents in the cafe at Beckford Silk Centre had refurbished and re-organised since it closed a while ago. It turned out to be good for sure although the coffee cups weren't proper cyclist size.
Off round the eastern and northern flanks of the Hill we began to put distance between it and ourselves as we crossed the Avon at Eckington. Onward for Strensham we were pushing at the wind. Jules headed homeward from Ryall while Pete and I took flood avoidance for The Hook and Brotheridge Green. Just a steady plod from here homeward was left battling the persistent wind. Nice social outing today for sure. 54 smiles

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
The Fragrant MrsP went out with her bestie today, so I went out with mine, which manifests itself as a Trek Domane SL5.

My original plan was to go over to the Aston Pottery Cafe, but the weather was bit naff today and after about three miles or so in Rowstock I realised the wind was going to be a right pain.

Along the busy A417 towards Wantage making a right past Ardington to Grove Park then right again near Williams F1 over the railway bridge and then left on what looked like a paved bridleway, a track I have never been down before, it was mostly paved too, but after about a mile it tuned into a hard pack track and I wondered how my new precious would cope with it, well, it coped very well thanks very much.

This new track brought i me out in West Hannay so I thought I knew where I was, riding out of the village I turned right thinking I was going towards Southmoor but I went to Garford instead which was in the wrong direction. No matter on to Frilford and left at the lights to Millet's Farm Shop for refreshments, this turned out to be the seventh dimension of hell. The cafe was rammed, no self isolation going on there.

After about two years I got served with a lank sausage roll, some kind of a chocolate thing and some tea in a pretentious glass pot.

Got out of there and away from the whinging brats and came back home via Frilford where some twunt close passed me in a Merc, then to Gozzards Ford, Abingdon, Steventon and home.

It didn't seem to matter what direction I rode today there was wind, and quite frankly it got quite irksome. Still it was nice to get decent ride in and my new bike is just ACE, I'm so glad I chose it out of all the other I considered.

30.18 windy miles.

Attachments

• 5774FB45-BC48-4B3A-A596-A8CD7A158BF3.jpeg
    5774FB45-BC48-4B3A-A596-A8CD7A158BF3.jpeg
    198.5 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Top Bottom