Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
1584564950538.png

jeees, haven't got the hang of this new snip tool yet !!

Anyway, Isolation ride, day 1 (no symptoms, but underlying health conditions means work sent me home for 7 days). not (currently) banned from cycling so what better way to get some fresh air

1584565063964.png

footloose crow

Über Member
19 March. Back on the bike again

Our lives hang by such slender threads. We only notice from time to time, with a lurch and a feeling of dread as the certainties and immutability of normal life falls apart. I have spent too much time in hospital this year.

So I need to get out on the bike from which I have been banned for the last fortnight. Fortnight? It feels longer, a lifetime ago, before corona panic and the gradual locking down of normal life.

I try to sneak out of the house, dressed for cycling like a medieval knight is for warfare, the bike waiting for me like a patient horse. On the threshold of my getaway Madame Crow spots me. An interrogation on my proposed route, an admonition on health (not the first - I have been self isolating for days) and then I am told not to do the route I propose. I promise to do something shorter, flatter and escape up the lane, sunshine breaking through the clouds with no intention of changing my route. But then....I consider the possible need for rescue by car if my stitches pull. And I cannot lie to her. So short and flat it must be. Cornish 'flat' anyway

My steed waits patiently for me....

My breath is short and my heart fast but not because of the effort of moving a bike. It is just the adrenalin from being on the bike again and worrying if this is too soon after surgery. I really don't want to be in a hospital right now. 'You need to be careful' - I keep hearing those words but I am bored with being careful, excited by speed and distance, the essence of cycling.

The roads are quiet. The bike is moving easily. My legs are spinning nicely, the breath is calming. Out of Truro and down the cycle path hill, greasy after the rain with a momentary rear wheel skid from making a sharp turn on mud. I have forgotten how to ride. The gyro of the wheels keeps me upright, the magic force of spinning spokes. Through the riverside village of Tresillian, the tide out, mud banks glistening in the coming and going sunshine, clouds never quite leaving enough blue sky. The hill up to Probus I take slowly, but its fine. The village is quiet, just a van delivering fish to the farm shop, local fishermen trying hard to find a market for the shellfish they are catching but which they can't sell to continental Europe anymore. The school is quiet too although it must still be open for another couple of days. Normally you can hear the children as you go past, the soundtrack of my working life, but it feels dead. I wonder what it will look like by September when it re-opens, the hedges gone wild, dust collecting on the desks, a scene from an apocalyptic film.

The next few miles are quiet lanes, up and down and I stand up on the ups rather than change down, worrying about the stitches but full of joy at being able to move, to be outside, to be cycling. I missed this. The blur of hedges, the glimpses of yellow primroses, dry roads, grey rather than black, mud streaked and puddled as they have been all winter. 'Spring has arrived' I shout and the nodding daffodils agree with me.

Time to return and a drop down a steep lane to Ladock and back home on the 'death road', a fast and flat B road with sharp bends that steepen after they begin. Overhung by trees with a drop to boggy ground and a river on one side and a steep slope on the other. I have lost two ex pupils killed on this road in the last ten years and the trees are scarred with reminders of cars that tackled the bends too fast. Or worse, came around the bend to be presented with a car coming the other way and a cyclist in front. My imagination again. Catastrophe around every corner, but this no road to hang around on. I pedal quickly and stay well out on the bends so cars can see me some way ahead. The road is quiet though. Three cars in fifteen minutes. I worried too much. Now back through Tresillian, the tide flooding and covering the mud banks as it does twice a day, every day, taking no notice of the ways of humans or their pandemics.

The final hill goes well and although Strava tells me later it was not a great time, it was fast enough. Just one other cyclist has been up this hill today taking away my chance to be the 'KOM for the day' - he has done it at 34mph and a 1000 watts and I suspect it was in a car.

Home again. Bike gets washed and oiled. I feel fine. It is great to be on the bike again but Madame was right to suggest a shorter route. Today I am tired after this short ride but tomorrow or the next day I will go further.

Screenshot 2020-03-19 at 16.50.31.png

Screenshot 2020-03-19 at 16.51.45.png

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I wish I had the patience to write like you @footloose crow, nice ride report.

My 9.5 mile ride today was exasperating to say the least. I just wanted a cobweb blower today, and just pop to the shop too. I went to the garage to get the hybrid out and the rear tyre was flat...again. Tyre off, tube out, replacement in, pump up, go.

I took the hybrid because the weather was drizzling and it’s got panniers an mudguards, it’s also a nice bike to ride.

Along the cycle rout to Didcot and about 2.5 miles the tyre goes flat again, bugger it. Tyre off, tube out, replacement in, pump up, NO GO. Feckin hell! Tyre off, tube out, have look, check tyre, pump up, won’t inflate! I’m about to walk home when a nice man on a MTB offers assistance , we discover the valve is dodgy, replacement in, pump up, thanks given to MTB’er, go.

Another mile down the road, another flat. I’m about a mile from the LBS, so I walk, it’s heavy drizzle now, I’m trying to be philosophical about the situation, these things happen, but I’m getting thoroughly and abjectly cheesed off.

At the LBS I buy two tubes, Tyre off, tube out, replacement in, pump up, BANG! I nearly feckin shat myself!

The feckin tube was caught between the rim and tyre bead. Tyre off, tube out, replacement in, pump up, tube poking round the bead again, deflate and start again. Finally succeeded.

Leaving the shop I walk across to the little Sainsbury’s, at the bike rack I ask two lads leaning on the racks to excuse me while I lock my bike there. Into the shop and they don’t have what I want (surprise), back to the bike one lad is dicking about with my bike! We have a full and frank exchange of views , and I leave him questioning his parenthood.

I carry on further into town and arrive at the next shop and at the cycle racks I discovered the lock is not in the bag! Ffs! Back to Sainsbury’s- no lock-lads knicked it. Feck. I decided to give up and go home, after a mile or so I’m thinking, there’s no way I didn’t put that lock back in my bag. I turn round to retrace my route after Sainsbury’s and I find the lock on the grass verge. Hurrah.

By now it’s raining heavily, I continue my errands to no avail, because greedy morons have bought ten of everything they don’t need.

I ride home ranting at the world, those lads, my stupidity and the feckin lousy feckin weather.

Its got to get better soon hasn’t it?

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Today's ride; a shade under 18 mostly precarious, punishing and slow fasted miles thanks to the strong, gusting wind and worse-than-usual asthma.

An otherwise pleasant route that's a mixture of rural roads (pretty quiet), tow paths and town (much quieter but still a fair few people about). Struggled up my "benchmark" hill wheezing into the headwind with a time that surprisingly wasn't my worst.

Not a very enjoyable ride but I'm glad I got out; now feeling refreshed and level in the post-exercise high and like I've earned my (very enjoyable) soft-boiled eggs on seedly-hippy-faux bread lunch :smile:

Last edited:

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I did my longest ride so far this year with 42 kms. The wind was strong against me on the way out :sad:and could only do about 11mph but great on the way back as I could reach speeds of 24 mph in parts :bicycle: but unfortunately , my overall speed still was 11.9 mph. Not bothered really as I enjoyed the ride ^_^ and also noticed there was less people about too. I shall use tomorrow to recover and maybe go out again on Sunday or Monday.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Another windy, chilly ride here under broody, threatening skies. I went out around the Garden City Greenway which is a circular route of just under 14 miles of off road path, some of it along the Sustrans NCN route 12. It was very nice to get out, I enjoyed it.

20200320_143151.jpg

20200320_133943.jpg

20200320_135140.jpg

20200320_135131.jpg

I crossed an eerily quiet A1(M) briefly:

20200320_132304.jpg

Last edited:

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
I'm self isolated along with SWMBO and 2 teenagers at the moment, so if I can get out on the bike I do. Easy to stay 2m + away from everyone. I managed 24 miles today, the roads are quiet, Windsor Great Park was very quiet. The wind is back after a week off mind.
Only 11 days to go, thankfully I can work from home so at least something to keep the grey matter busy

Mrs M

Guru
19 March. Back on the bike again

Our lives hang by such slender threads. We only notice from time to time, with a lurch and a feeling of dread as the certainties and immutability of normal life falls apart. I have spent too much time in hospital this year.

So I need to get out on the bike from which I have been banned for the last fortnight. Fortnight? It feels longer, a lifetime ago, before corona panic and the gradual locking down of normal life.

I try to sneak out of the house, dressed for cycling like a medieval knight is for warfare, the bike waiting for me like a patient horse. On the threshold of my getaway Madame Crow spots me. An interrogation on my proposed route, an admonition on health (not the first - I have been self isolating for days) and then I am told not to do the route I propose. I promise to do something shorter, flatter and escape up the lane, sunshine breaking through the clouds with no intention of changing my route. But then....I consider the possible need for rescue by car if my stitches pull. And I cannot lie to her. So short and flat it must be. Cornish 'flat' anyway

View attachment 509193
My steed waits patiently for me....

My breath is short and my heart fast but not because of the effort of moving a bike. It is just the adrenalin from being on the bike again and worrying if this is too soon after surgery. I really don't want to be in a hospital right now. 'You need to be careful' - I keep hearing those words but I am bored with being careful, excited by speed and distance, the essence of cycling.

The roads are quiet. The bike is moving easily. My legs are spinning nicely, the breath is calming. Out of Truro and down the cycle path hill, greasy after the rain with a momentary rear wheel skid from making a sharp turn on mud. I have forgotten how to ride. The gyro of the wheels keeps me upright, the magic force of spinning spokes. Through the riverside village of Tresillian, the tide out, mud banks glistening in the coming and going sunshine, clouds never quite leaving enough blue sky. The hill up to Probus I take slowly, but its fine. The village is quiet, just a van delivering fish to the farm shop, local fishermen trying hard to find a market for the shellfish they are catching but which they can't sell to continental Europe anymore. The school is quiet too although it must still be open for another couple of days. Normally you can hear the children as you go past, the soundtrack of my working life, but it feels dead. I wonder what it will look like by September when it re-opens, the hedges gone wild, dust collecting on the desks, a scene from an apocalyptic film.

The next few miles are quiet lanes, up and down and I stand up on the ups rather than change down, worrying about the stitches but full of joy at being able to move, to be outside, to be cycling. I missed this. The blur of hedges, the glimpses of yellow primroses, dry roads, grey rather than black, mud streaked and puddled as they have been all winter. 'Spring has arrived' I shout and the nodding daffodils agree with me.

Time to return and a drop down a steep lane to Ladock and back home on the 'death road', a fast and flat B road with sharp bends that steepen after they begin. Overhung by trees with a drop to boggy ground and a river on one side and a steep slope on the other. I have lost two ex pupils killed on this road in the last ten years and the trees are scarred with reminders of cars that tackled the bends too fast. Or worse, came around the bend to be presented with a car coming the other way and a cyclist in front. My imagination again. Catastrophe around every corner, but this no road to hang around on. I pedal quickly and stay well out on the bends so cars can see me some way ahead. The road is quiet though. Three cars in fifteen minutes. I worried too much. Now back through Tresillian, the tide flooding and covering the mud banks as it does twice a day, every day, taking no notice of the ways of humans or their pandemics.

The final hill goes well and although Strava tells me later it was not a great time, it was fast enough. Just one other cyclist has been up this hill today taking away my chance to be the 'KOM for the day' - he has done it at 34mph and a 1000 watts and I suspect it was in a car.

Home again. Bike gets washed and oiled. I feel fine. It is great to be on the bike again but Madame was right to suggest a shorter route. Today I am tired after this short ride but tomorrow or the next day I will go further.

View attachment 509203

View attachment 509204
Your lovely post made me smile
But
Please take care :okay:
xx

chriswoody

Legendary Member
Like many others here I needed to get out today to soak in the solitude of the forest and decompress. I headed north and followed a new route through the forest. On new tracks I watched deer run in front of me, spooked by my presence, whilst overhead, Buzzards circled and cried out. I stopped for a while and soaked in the noises of the forest while the tress gently swayed in the spring breeze. Starting off again the lines of the poem "Were going on a bear hunt" start to play in my mind, as the track under my wheels constantly shifts and changes, from gravel, to mud to sand and all variations between. In all I covered 34km, mostly through through the forest in blissful solitude.

Top Bottom