Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I was intending a longer ride today, got the Lycra on and the new Trek out, and off I went, about a mile down the road the bloody wind was battering me about, 2 miles out I thought, feck it and just did my 8 and bit loop, wasn’t feeling the cycling love today, at least it was dry and no punctures , there’s always tomorrow. (I hope)

Mr Celine

Discordian
W*rk have suspended flexi time for the emergency and ordered everyone to reduce balances to zero by the end of the month. I worked from home in the morning and took a half day off to use up some flexi and go for a ride.
Started off by heading up the A7, a road I normally avoid like the plague, but the current plague had, as I suspected, reduced the traffic level considerably. I then turned north east into the rather cool breeze. I stopped after about 15 miles and took a photo of my bike with an orangutan and a tyrannosaurus rex, all the time thinking what strange times we are in just now.

Things looked a bit more normal for the next few miles until in the quiet village of Westruther I couldn't help but notice this funeral-type limousine -

Next stop a couple of miles later for some road side chooks. Nothing unusual about that, except one of them was identical to one of my remaining two and another was identical to another recently deceased.

Nearly home, Melrose appeared frighteningly normal, which inspired me to take a couple of detours down side streets I've never been down before. I found this nice view of the Tweed and the Gattonside suspension bridge -

The map -

1584784329217.png

41.6 miles @ 12.7mph, 847m up.

13 rider

Guru
Still out riding . After braving the food shop early this morning it was time for a ride . Nice bit of sunshine :sun:but still a cold wind :cold:. Did my standard 50km loop out to St Bernards Abbey .Loads of riders out today mostly solo saw just one small peleton of 6 Loughborough students .Just as I crested the easy bit of Beacon hill and about to start the fast descent I was past by a rider so began the I will catch him on the downhill race . He adapted full aero tuck were I went for pedal like mad legs spinning as I hit 40 mph :bicycle:. I slowly reeled him in meter by meter ,As I was about to catch him he signaled to turn off so the silliness ended :laugh: .Altered the route towards the end to throw in another climb up Wood lane in Quorn . I seemed to be in competitive mode today as I just had to catch the 2 riders ahead ,first was was caught easily the second required a bit of effort but caught he was :becool:. Home with 31.2 miles in the bag another 50km ride for the challenge . Really enjoyed just being out today .

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Still out riding . After braving the food shop early this morning it was time for a ride . Nice bit of sunshine :sun:but still a cold wind :cold:. Did my standard 50km loop out to St Bernards Abbey .Loads of riders out today mostly solo saw just one small peleton of 6 Loughborough students .Just as I crested the easy bit of Beacon hill and about to start the fast descent I was past by a rider so began the I will catch him on the downhill race . He adapted full aero tuck were I went for pedal like mad legs spinning as I hit 40 mph :bicycle:. I slowly reeled him in meter by meter ,As I was about to catch him he signaled to turn off so the silliness ended :laugh: .Altered the route towards the end to throw in another climb up Wood lane in Quorn . I seemed to be in competitive mode today as I just had to catch the 2 riders ahead ,first was was caught easily the second required a bit of effort but caught he was :becool:. Home with 31.2 miles in the bag another 50km ride for the challenge . Really enjoyed just being out today .

I bet he only turned right ‘cos he knew he’d get scalped imminently.

delb0y

Legendary Member
Nice little 24 miler this morning on the flat-bar. Surprisingly windy and that wind was against me all the way round - I should have gone in the opposite direction! Daff's look nice. I still have another week's leave before going back to work, so might try and head up Dymock-way this coming week where there should be lots and lots and lots of flowers.

Must say, no noticeable difference in the amount of traffic - I guess they're all going to Tesco. Lots of cyclists (albeit mostly solo) and horse-riders. Only went by one Cafe and that was open.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I just went the little Te**o on the hybrid for some milk, (lots of photocopy signs ‘one item per person’) .

Rode up the 544 cycle route on the way out into a blustery headwind, lots of walkers, runners and bicyclists our today, and the sun was out too and a little chilly.

After the shop I decided to loop back rather than retrace and stopped to look at the baby baa lambs, one was standing in its mum’s back but by the time I got the camera out it had jumped off.

Anyway a nicer ride today but only a whisker over five miles, still five not in the car.

I think my BB needs servicing.

Old jon

Guru
Bright, breezy and brrrr! this morning, but just warm enough for a ride. Wheel out the geared bike and head away, happy that I can still do one thing I enjoy.

Down the main road and turn onto Jack Lane. I do this so often there is a rut in the road but I suspect it is made by something a bit heavier than me on a bike. Ride along Water Lane to leave Holbeck behind, then across the river on Crown Point Bridge. It is a long haul up to the Oakwood Clock, and I had a rest there, a couple of club members had said they fancied a ride. Neither had turned up ten minutes after the appointed time, so I soloed away. Too cold to hang about, though the climb up Boot Hill warmed me up rather well. Carry on along the A58, miss the right turn onto Red Hall Lane deliberately and further along take Carr Lane into Thorner. The seemingly eternal roadworks put me off the earlier choice.

Milner Lane out of Thorner, that sharp hill to the Scarcroft turnoff was ridden up this time, the wonder of gears. Ride on to East Rigton, two pairs of horses and a single went past in the opposite direction, and a similar number of bike riders. Wondered why it was so busy, then remembered it was Saturday. Ride towards Compton after Rigton Green, another great bit of road, and turn left onto Jewitt Lane. The surface down this is a bit grotty, which is a shame. I probably descended about five miles an hour slower than I would have liked, free speed is often a thrill.

And then Collingham and the A58 again. Turn left and head for home, and all at once the riding was easier. An easterly wind it was, so a three quarter tailwind. I like this! Through Bardsey, wondering where the boundary is, I am only down the hill from East Rigton. The long climb through Scarcroft was breeze assisted, which felt pretty good. The next long heave up to Whin Moor Lane I avoided by turning left onto Coal Road. Still a hill but short and steep, sometimes goes better. Back to the A58 and that whizzzz down the hill. More descent after the clock at Oakwood takes me to the edge of town, then back across the river and that last bit to home. Twenty seven miles, a bit cold but a grin for the warmth to come.

How to keep warm in March

21032020.jpg

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Like many others here I needed to get out today to soak in the solitude of the forest and decompress. I headed north and followed a new route through the forest. On new tracks I watched deer run in front of me, spooked by my presence, whilst overhead, Buzzards circled and cried out. I stopped for a while and soaked in the noises of the forest while the tress gently swayed in the spring breeze. Starting off again the lines of the poem "Were going on a bear hunt" start to play in my mind, as the track under my wheels constantly shifts and changes, from gravel, to mud to sand and all variations between. In all I covered 34km, mostly through through the forest in blissful solitude.

View attachment 509388

View attachment 509387

View attachment 509386
Looking at those pics I honestly can't think of anywhere else I'd rather be. Super-jealous of the route and the bike!

For the sake of my sanity can someone please post up some pics of their bike on the side of some grotty, potholed, traffic laden A-road to make me feel better:angry:

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
We gathered in a loose group. Steve E, Jules H, John G, Pete M, Margaret PR, Sara P and me. Steve had a plan so we headed for the school but the way was barred. We assumed it was a Covid 19 thing so we retraced and took the alternative route. Down on the Hams splits occurred so we really were apart. A loose gathering of me, John and Pete formed as we crossed Haw Bridge and turned for Deerhurst. Eventually we regrouped in Tewkesbury where some had take away coffee and snacks. Sara and Margaret hadn't waited so just 5 rode away from town. John took to the main road while us 4 went by the White Rabbit. We parted at Upton but not before we had chatted with June P who was heading out for a few solo miles. I took New Street away from Upton as the floods have eventually retreated. Nice ride despite the usual social behaviours being limited now. Strange times. 48 smiles

ianbarton

Veteran
20 03 20 - A bike ride in Dodcott cum Wilkesley  England.png

Good weather with a bit of a headwind on the homeward leg. Floods mostly disappeared. A 60km circuit through Shropshire and bits of Cheshire. Stopped at Sainsbury in Whitchurch, where the panic buyers had stripped most of the shelves. Luckily there were some sandwiches and rocky road bars left, which I ate at the top of the hill in Wirswall. Still one deep flood about two miles from home, so wet feet again!

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I ventured out to make the most of the current advice that solitary exercise is encouraged, and tried one of my longer regular routes hoping that it would work well with the easterly wind today.

Although there isn't quite as much traffic on the roads locally, there is still plenty about so I headed the quieter way over Lyth Hill at the start and dropped down to Condover. The wind made itself noticed quite soon after setting off and was an effort to ride against on the way to Longnor then Acton Burnell despite being more of a cross-wind on these sections. When I turned into it properly from Cound Moor I was doing 12 mph on the long straight where I would usually expect to cruise along easily in the high teens or low twenties mph.

Turning northwards after Cressage the wind was less bothersome but I was climbing instead. There was another rider ahead of me and I started to reel them in but couldn't catch them before the crossroads where they went left and I went straight on to Eaton Constantine and some more climbing. At the start of this climb another rider overtook me and disappeared up the hill as though I was stood still. Puts things into perspective.

I carried on climbing to Uppington then after a short section on the old A5 I had a nice descent along Bluebell Lane to Walcot. I was going well now that the wind was starting to help so took the slightly longer way round to Withington where I found the proper tailwind and got wafted up the gentle climb out of the village at about 18 mph.^_^

At Upton Magna the pub may be closed but the cafe is open (probably doing takeaway only, like my local cafe) and passing Attingham Park there was a steady flow of traffic in and out so people are still visiting places while they can.

After Cross Houses I decided to head for Weeping Cross which turned out to be a good move as it kept the wind more or less at my back to Oteley Road where it was properly behind me again giving a nice 20 mph cruising speed, including over the speed humps.:addict:

34.7 miles at 12.8 mph average. There were lots of other cyclists out enjoying the day and all in ones or twos, so taking the recommendations seriously.:okay:

A bit of sunshine early on at Great Ryton.

Looking to the Wrekin from near Acton Burnell. All the white specks in the field are swans who seem to be making themselves at home.

Down at Cressage Bridge, the river is finally back within its banks.

The view from Uppington looking towards the southern edge of the Berwyns in the far distance, the Breiddens towards the left and Haughmond Hill on the right.

Very strange to see the Mytton and Mermaid all closed up, along with all the other pubs I passed on the way.

From the same spot, the hazy cloud gives quite a moody look over the river.

Last edited:

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Took the MX Sport out for the first time in over a year.
It's still a fun bike to ride, but I'm so far out of shape it's unreal.

Rode to Leeds station and caught a train to Bingley, then once I'd found my way to the Leeds Liverpool Canal (you'd think they'd put up a signpost or two considering it's about the only thing the town is famous for, ever since their eponymous building society collapsed in '08) and went up to the Five Rise Locks for a photo:

Back on the bike and pointed it towards Leeds.
How difficult could it be? It's downhill all the way isn't it? Except it's not, as the canal and it's tow path are flat and only changes elevation at locks.
Well, flat is also good. Unless you're riding into a headwind virtually all the way...:laugh:

Anyway, I was in no rush and the towpath isn't the place to be haring along.
Some of the signage is poor, where you're directed off the towpath for a bit especially (Shipley, I'm looking at you...), but I was soon passing the Saltaire Brewery (and Brewery Tap) which were sadly closed thanks to the Coronavirus - but here are pics anyway:

Anyhow, on my way again and eventually I arrived in the fringes of Leeds.
After Wyther Bridge the signs directed me off the towpath again, but then vanished and I eventually found myself cycling out onto Kirkstall Road after circling around a huge electricity substation:rolleyes:

Anyhow, along there, through the city centre where none of the lights are sequenced and up the still terrible CS2 towards home where some judicious extra loops were needed to get enough miles to make today my March ride for the half century challenge.

52.14 km in 4 and a bit hours. Told you it was slow, didn't I?

Last edited:
Top Bottom