The Imperial Century A Month Challenge Chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

13 rider

Guru
Well done mate. Thought you might have been leaving it till next weekend & do February & March rides in one weekend :laugh: Can't say I'd have fancied any ride in the wind today, luckily I was at work, so just had a turbo/zwift session when I got home
That was my back up plan but work has gone and called emergency contractual ( complusary ) overtime so now working next Sat . So today was last chance saloon otherwise I would have bailed

Fiona R

Formerly known as Cranky Knee Girl
That was my back up plan but work has gone and called emergency contractual ( complusary ) overtime so now working next Sat . So today was last chance saloon otherwise I would have bailed
Gutsy. I'd have been bricking it if I hadn't have done mine by sneaking in before Ciara. Does work not realise priorities?

13 rider

Guru
Gutsy. I'd have been bricking it if I hadn't have done mine by sneaking in before Ciara. Does work not realise priorities?
I had about 10 miles which were a bit too hairy ,had me questioning my sanity . Unfortunately work won't accept I have to cycle 100 miler as an excuse to skip work they just don't understand it will ruin my mileage for March as well

rb58

Enigma
And relax. March done in the company of the legend that is @Trickedem . Great day for it, plenty of cyclists out today and at one point we were mixing it with the brave riders who were doing the Kentish Killer Sportive. They had numbers on their bikes. We must get some numbers. I heard a strange ticking noise coming from the rear tyre with about 12 miles to go and discovered the top layer of rubber flapping about. Feel I was luck to get home with it like that. Rubino Pro's might be good for many things, but they don't last anywhere near as long as Gatorskins.

Trickedem

Guru
And relax. March done in the company of the legend that is @Trickedem . Great day for it, plenty of cyclists out today and at one point we were mixing it with the brave riders who were doing the Kentish Killer Sportive. They had numbers on their bikes. We must get some numbers. I heard a strange ticking noise coming from the rear tyre with about 12 miles to go and discovered the top layer of rubber flapping about. Feel I was luck to get home with it like that. Rubino Pro's might be good for many things, but they don't last anywhere near as long as Gatorskins.
View attachment 506637
Great to get this one out of the way. I think I am at my lowest level of fitness right now. So it can only get better. The wind was a killer, but fortunately I had a full on tail win for the last 15 miles :smile:

Tribansman

Veteran
Welcome @Tribansman . Another nutter who rode yesterday . If you can do a ton yesterday you should be fine for the rest of the year

Thanks, and @13rider. Yes, was a tough day out on the bike, benefited from a tailwind for a good chunk though...but the block headwind the last 30 miles was pure evil, especially across the Norfolk flats with nothing to hide behind!

Planning on doing a split ton on Friday, 60 miles first thing to get an early train up north and 40 miles late evening to minimise cost of return journey - well, that's my excuse, probably more about chalking up March's early. Do such split rides count? Feels a bit like cheating...

Hoping for a period of lighter winds, going to try and get 1,000 miles in in March, previous monthly best is 750.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Thanks, and @13rider. Yes, was a tough day out on the bike, benefited from a tailwind for a good chunk though...but the block headwind the last 30 miles was pure evil, especially across the Norfolk flats with nothing to hide behind!

Planning on doing a split ton on Friday, 60 miles first thing to get an early train up north and 40 miles late evening to minimise cost of return journey - well, that's my excuse, probably more about chalking up March's early. Do such split rides count? Feels a bit like cheating...

Hoping for a period of lighter winds, going to try and get 1,000 miles in in March, previous monthly best is 750.

No sorry. Split rides don't count. What you are planning sounds like a far too big break to call it as one continuous ride.
A lunch break or suchlike is fine. Hours off the bike (for example visiting, work, or shifts) is not.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
3 days off work & a bit of decorating to do :sad: but the weather looked best today, so I'm decorating Sat & Sun after nipping out for a little ride today ^_^ Got the century done in pretty much ideal conditions, not too warm, gentle breeze, 113 miles & 5600ft of upness which is a lot for round here :okay:

Aravis

Putrid Donut
I planned a 200km DiY Audax for yesterday, doing my best to make it as easy as possible as can be seen from the elevation profile:

Nevertheless, despite perfect conditions it turned into the hardest ride I've done in my life - possibly an exaggeration but not by much. Without the incentive of a DiY Audax contributing to all sorts of nice things later in the year I would undoubtedly have cut it short. There was a moment at around 80 miles when I said to myself "Only 45 miles now, I can do that!". Until then I wasn't so sure.

Back in January I was persuaded to try taking a statin - apparently my cholesterol has edged up, dramatically increasing my probability of instant death. The trial period is near it's end and I will be resisting continuation. If the pills have had the desired effect I'll argue that I should try and maintain a healthy reading by natural means.

My last ride (February 5th) was also on a day when there was barely any discernable wind. It seems to have been a quiet year so far, though I gather there've been a few breezy days between the rides?

Fiona R

Formerly known as Cranky Knee Girl
I planned a 200km DiY Audax for yesterday, doing my best to make it as easy as possible as can be seen from the elevation profile:

View attachment 507431
Nevertheless, despite perfect conditions it turned into the hardest ride I've done in my life - possibly an exaggeration but not by much. Without the incentive of a DiY Audax contributing to all sorts of nice things later in the year I would undoubtedly have cut it short. There was a moment at around 80 miles when I said to myself "Only 45 miles now, I can do that!". Until then I wasn't so sure.

Back in January I was persuaded to try taking a statin - apparently my cholesterol has edged up, dramatically increasing my probability of instant death. The trial period is near it's end and I will be resisting continuation. If the pills have had the desired effect I'll argue that I should try and maintain a healthy reading by natural means.

My last ride (February 5th) was also on a day when there was barely any discernable wind. It seems to have been a quiet year so far, though I gather there've been a few breezy days between the rides?
A very sturdy steely determination you have. It's a banker that the ones you think will be quite straightforward turn out to be the hardest when on paper you know they should be ok. Those ones require most kudos.💪👍 That RRtY is a great motivator though.

Please could you take some of your 💨 share though please. :laugh:

Top Bottom