The Imperial Century A Month Challenge Chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

StHuck

Veteran
I'm new to this but thats no reason to not get involved! Count me in please

OP
OP
Rob S

Rob S

Ideally you announce before you start that you will be attempting it, adds a bit of pressure if other people know about it....unless you are expressing an interest in the 2009 version, in which case welcome :rolleyes:

ronstrutt

That's me out of the Century a Month for this year, I'm afraid.

Too many other weekend commitments, too much overtime at work, and a bug going round the office that seems to have lingered most of the month. The furthest I've managed to go this month is 70 miles, and that was an effort and a half. I tried to get yesterday off work for a last minute go at it but too much urgent work on. I didn't leave the office until after 7 last night so I couldn't have done 100 miles by midnight.

Never mind, there's always next year.

ash68

We're dropping like flies. I'm out too. Managed 93 miles 2 weeks ago. Thought i'd get a century in last tuesday on my day off. Did 75 miles and that was it.Like above, other commintments and in my case a little lacking in motivation at the moment unfortunately.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Failed!

All I had to do was get in 100 km in November, December would've been easy because I have time off work.

I left it a bit late, a couple of weekend cyclocross events got in the way earlier in the month. Went out today but the persistent rain and northerly wind meant I was getting cold after 20 miles. Turned around, the computer had recorded 47 miles by the time I got back. Thought about changing gloves and shoes and finishing it off but once I had some tea brewing and my feet in some warm water there was no way I was going back out.

Better luck next year.

ASC1951

Guru
Well, I took the day off today to get in 100 miler #48 and a cracking day it is too - still, cold but wall to wall sunshine.

Unfortunately all the roads are covered in ice and I would be lucky to get 100 yards before going base over apex.

I'm still not going in to work, though!

OP
OP
Rob S

Rob S

Yeah today was my day off too, and it would've been a great day to do my final ideal objective of the year...taking in Winchester and Salisbury....if only it hadn't rained overnight. Still 54 miles done to Slapton and back.

well thats me finished for this year. Didn't do Barbondale as i'd wanted because i think there was still snow up there , did a mind numbingly boring 100 round the fylde, but it's the distance that counts!

good luck to all the remaining riders, hope you all get good weather and have agood ride.
mick

ASC1951

Guru
Yes, I'm going to give it another go this Saturday if the forecast looks ok, after being iced off on Wednesday.

Come to think of it, I had better get the beast out of its Jet2 bike bag and reassembled because there won't be time in the morning. Well dark by 16.00 up here and for me that means an 08.30 departure.

ASC1951

Guru
That's me done for the year. :biggrin:

I did get the 8.30 start. Unfortunately I also got all 2008's p*nct*res in one ride - serves me right for trying to squeeze one final month out of a rear Michelin Pro Race. Not a winter tyre, let's face it, certainly not when it is wheeling along backroads where the hedges have all been flailed at the end of autumn.

By great good luck p*nct*re number three was only 200 yards beyond a village shop which had one remaining 700c tyre - a cheap and cheerful Schwalbe Blizzard - a plentiful supply of tubes and a track pump. Not so good was that after all my dicking around I was still 20 miles from home when the sun set and the temperature dropped like a stone.

ian_oli

Über Member
That's another year done. My last run included a Garmin fantasy road. I fell for it hook line and sinker.

1 mile to the caff at Stradishall. Ignored the dead-end sign at the start of the tarred bit. Skipped past the no vehicle sign - OK for bikes then! got to the radio mast the tarred road served. It stopped. But there's a bridle way, it will connect up to the road by the sign I can see a couple of hundred meters away! After several minutes of pushing the bike, getting mud all over and under my overshoes, slipping over and swearing, I get to the sign: the message but not the words tells me THERE IS NO FECKING ROAD!!

Top Bottom