The Imperial Century A Month Challenge Chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Rob S

Rob S

Sorry to hear you're out Jan :smile: We all know it doesn't make you any less of a rider...I'm just lucky I have absolutely no commitments of any kind and to be honest it makes my stars a little hollow.

Thankfully I'm still in...I expect the arm will make itself felt tomorrow though!!

ASC1951

Guru
Rob S said:
Thankfully I'm still in...I expect the arm will make itself felt tomorrow though!!
Did it? How did it go, Rob?

- - -

Ah, I've just realised it would have been sensible to check the register first.;)
Glad to see you got it in with plenty of time to spare - and not a pancake-flat 100.5 miles like some of mine, either.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Was getting to the end of September's 100 km today when some knobber (passenger) in an approaching car managed to hit my bike with a part-filled bottle of coke. Wasn't diet either, it hit the bars and went everywhere. Must've got on the rims too, the brakes were really grabby after.

Looked back for the registration but he was already too far off.

ronstrutt

palinurus said:
Was getting to the end of September's 100 km today when some knobber (passenger) in an approaching car managed to hit my bike with a part-filled bottle of coke. Wasn't diet either, it hit the bars and went everywhere. Must've got on the rims too, the brakes were really grabby after.

Looked back for the registration but he was already too far off.

Unfortunately Darwin's Law doesn't operate all of the time.

ronstrutt

I thought that September was going to defeat me. Holidays took out weekends 1-3 and weekend 4 was reserved for a three day walk around the 75-mile Isle of Wight coastal path with a bunch of colleagues.

So, I did the walk, then cycled back 100 miles! I am, needless to say, shattered.

jimboalee

I've read through this thread because it sounds very much like Audax UK Peak Audax's Randonneur Round the Year series.
This is where AUK members ride at least one 200+km ride in each calendar month.
I will be doing that next year.
This year I earned a Randonneur Series 1000 patch, several 200s and a couple more 300s.
Twelve 200km rides, spaced equally through the year should not be too much bother.
I even get a nice cloth patch to celebrate my efforts.

ASC1951

Guru
jimboalee said:
Twelve 200km rides, spaced equally through the year should not be too much bother.
If you say so. I find 12 x 160k quite demanding enough, thanks.

As I trundled through Northallerton yesterday on the first 100 of my 60th year, I thought, how old are all these others? It took me just over seven hours including stops - "not too bad" I console myself "given that you get a free bus pass next year". But what if everyone else is really in their 80s and still cranking out 100s two hours faster than me? Is it time to take up golf?

ronstrutt

ASC1951 said:
But what if everyone else is really in their 80s and still cranking out 100s two hours faster than me? Is it time to take up golf?

Actually, I'm 95 and I expect to do a 100 in under 4 hours. :becool:

ASC1951

Guru
That's exactly what I feared, Ron.

When I used to fell run a bit I thought my placings would improve once I was a Vet. Rubbish. People who were quicker than me at 30 were still quicker than me at 40. There might be fewer of us, but I was never in the top half of the field.

think of it the other way, a lot of people in their 20's couldn't ride 10 miles let alone a 100.
i'm only 50 (!)and all my 100's are between 6 and 7 hours.i could go faster i suppose but i go out to look at the scenery not a strip of black tarmac.
a lot of people in their 60's are doped up to the eyballs sitting in a chair all day stuck in thier house.

Maladict

I've just added my efforts so far this year. All Audax RRTY stuff really, I started my current set in January so that fits in nicely with this challenge. Not limiting myself to 200km as you can see from the list.

Not been doing so much since August on account of being :eek:

OP
OP
Rob S

Rob S

Don't have a clue what you've written in the register thread but if you can just do an easily readable ride per month type thing that would be great.

And welcome to the challenge even if you have joined 10 months late!!;)

Maladict

Rob S said:
Don't have a clue what you've written in the register thread but if you can just do an easily readable ride per month type thing that would be great.

And welcome to the challenge even if you have joined 10 months late!!:angry:

But there are so many to choose from in some months. :sad:

Top Bottom