The Imperial Century A Month Challenge Chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mark Grant

Acting Captain of The St Annes Jombulance.
Chilly day today. Because of the NE wind I thought I'd ride into it for the outward leg so headed north & east out towards Chelmsford then back though the center of London. A very large chunk of this ride was well within the M25, so lots of traffic and traffic lights! Consequently quite a slow ride.
Did I mention it was cold!
https://www.relive.cc/view/1422222057

The ice and snow had ( almost ) all gone. So I sneaked an imperial ton in. It started as a club ride, so the early pace was way too high for a typical LSD ride. I knew I was in trouble at about 80 miles, fuelling wise, but as luck would have it, just as I hit empty, there was a ‘one stop’ ( a small convenience type store) at the top of the hill. I managed to re stock my food supplies, and cracked on for the last leg. It’s a good job that shop was there, or it would have been game over. March ton done, that’s all the dark months finished, now for the lighter longer days

Aravis

Putrid Donut
March is done, a largely undemanding circuit through the southern Cotswolds and the upper valley of the Bristol Avon. The remnants of huge snowdrifts were everywhere, of course, and much evidence of snowplough activity, but the only point where a road was impassable was a flooded railway bridge near Wootton Bassett. That spoilt things a bit - I'd carefully planned my route to be 131 miles, the smallest number where I don't have a GPS-recorded ride. The final distance was 133 miles, also a "new" number :smile:

Apart from a few moments when the sun came through it still felt much more like winter than spring. But it was nice to finish in full daylight for the first time this year.

Trickedem

Guru
I was up nice and early yesterday to do my Century, only to discover that my bottom bracket had seized.

IMG_20180310_061328133.jpg

Luckily I had a spare and I knew what I was doing. The first time I did this I ended up tightening the cups first and then had massive problems removing them. This time I was delayed for about 30 minutes. I was doing some route planning for the Audax I am organising in May, so this was a bit of a loopy sort of ride to try out some different roads.

Clipboard01.jpg

My route took me out on to the Isle of Grain. Fortunately the winds were kind to me this time. I then headed up into the North Downs Area of Outstanding Natural Hill!
I had a quick coffee break at Lullingstone Country Park, which set me up for the rest of the ride. This was the first long ride for a few months when it has stayed dry and wasn't freezing cold. The sun even came out towards the end.
IMG_20180310_131243351.jpg

https://www.strava.com/activities/1446018687

Top Bottom