The Imperial Century A Month Challenge Chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Done, and done in again. A Hampshire loop- westerly so I had a tailwind on the return- via Winchester to Stockbridge, Andover, Whitchurch and then my usual route from there home. On the road at 8.30 and back home at 7.30, rolling average 10.3 mph. Don't know why, just had no oomph all day. Headwind definitely felt more than 11 mph, but I was barely faster heading back east. In the bag, at least.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Also got mine in yesterday. (Ride report) An undulating ride to Ludlow, Bishop's Castle, Montgomery and back. Blooming hard work and I can feel the effects of having done less mileage than intended over the winter.:heat:

Hopefully better weather on the way and I can start making up for that.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Minor pedantic points...
Not just a 200k ride, but a validated 200k (or more) Audax (brevet randonneur) That means that the rider (probably) has to factor in the logistics of getting to and from events in addition to riding. I say "probably" because there's also the option of doing a DIY Audax where you ride your own route. I think these are ok for RRTY but not 100% sure.
Also what is required is 12 consecutive calendar months, not necessarily all in the same year.

They are ok.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Well that's March done. Set myself a destination which joined up to some Explorer squares near Hindhead which I got on a Cub camp some years ago. The Surrey Hills turned out to be rather hilly, and I'm really pleased that I didn't walk up any of them (did have to give myself a stern talking to on the bike though!).
102.3 miles, 4,941ft of climbing.
Roll on April:bicycle::bicycle:

rb58

Enigma
March in the bag. First time on the bike for a while due to snow, and man flu, so wasn't expecting to be particularly quick. My expectations weren't disappointed. I decided to also make this a recce for the Friday Night Ride to the Coast to Whitstable which I'm leading in a couple of weeks. I expected the Kent lanes to be plagued with potholes, but they weren't too bad. Although, the pot holes I did come across were pretty epic. Some you'd need a rope to get out of them with! Tough headwind for the return leg, otherwise it was a nice day. Beer beckons.....

Last edited:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Finally, I get March's qualifying ride in the bag. It wasn't for not trying. Such bad weather for the past three weeks and a cancelled Audax meant it was ride or bust today. I was going to go out what ever the weather.
So asked @Trickedem if he fancied a trip to the seaside for lunch, Herne Bay to be precise.
So was out of the door at 7am to get in a few miles (23) before meeting Tim at Rochester. We then followed the classic FNR to Whitstable then on the further 5 miles to Herne Bay where we lunched at the well known in Audax circles Mackaris Cafe..
For the return we fancied something different rather then the usual FNR in reverse. We decided to cross country. Climbing up and over the Downs. Stopping for a cheeky pint at the Black Horse on the Pilgrims Way.
At Sandling, Tim headed north to Strood whilst I turned south to Maidstone, popping in the town to say hello to Rachel who was working today. A quick hello then I ws off, following the Medway towpath, a really nice recently tarmacked shared path, but obviously with everyone and their dogs out about due to the fine weather it made for slow going. But it was nice never the less.
So. March's century ride done, a quarter of the year already. 103.7 very enjoyable miles. Century # 5 for the year and #233 over all.
Thanks to Tim for another thorough enjoyable ride.

route.jpg

Gillingham Riverside
20180325_092147.jpg

Whitstable
20180325_113016.jpg

Tim on the way into Herne Bay
20180325_114011.jpg

Sorry for blurred pic.
20180325_113716.jpg

Top Bottom