The Imperial Century A Month Challenge Chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
I caught up with everyone today. This was another ride that had been long in the planning, inspired by the "GB Divide" thread. Last August I did a day ride to Earlswood Lake, south of Birmingham, the waters of which drain to the Trent. Also within reach on a day ride is the Great Ouse, although heading straight there and back would require an uncomfortable amount of climbing. When I looked at easier Cotswold crossing points, an elegant oval-shaped outline emerged, and it's been sitting in RwGPS for many months. This is what it looked like (anticlockwise):

18Apr05x.JPG

That was 136.11 rather cold but very sunny miles, and most of the day the end seemed a very long way away.

I got April’s ride completed yesterday. It’s the route of the Velo South, which is a new event in September this year. It’s quite a ride, especially the first 6 miles, and particularly the last 10 miles :eek:. There was a slight enforced diversion at Elmers Marsh, which ‘helpfully’ added 6 miles, and 2 big climbs :wacko:. The weather was lovely, and as an added bonus, the Old control tower cafe was still open at Goodwood motor circuit, when I got back, which was a very necessary refuel stop.

rb58

Enigma
Friday Night Ride to the Coast Whitstable edition was my April qualifier. That's the second qualifier in 2018 that has involved a trip to Whitstable. This time it was via London, with the return only to Rochester, where I jumped on a train. A warm night, a slight sprinkling of rain towards the end. Highlight of the night was time spent in the company of a Barn Owl on Raspberry Hill Lane overlooking the marshes. Enchanting. 116 miles overall.

Friday Night Ride to the Coast Whitstable edition was my April qualifier. That's the second qualifier in 2018 that has involved a trip to Whitstable. This time it was via London, with the return only to Rochester, where I jumped on a train. A warm night, a slight sprinkling of rain towards the end. Highlight of the night was time spent in the company of a Barn Owl on Raspberry Hill Lane overlooking the marshes. Enchanting. 116 miles overall.
The owls fly with cyclists because the cyclist’s lights help to flush the owl’s prey out from the undergrowth, apparently. They are quite clever in that respect.

Trickedem

Guru
My April century was a cracking ride. After serving refreshments to the FNRTTC at Strood I joined the ride down to Whitstable. After a quick brekkie I took the Crab and Winkle to Canterbury, then NCN 18 up the Elham Valley. This is a lovely quiet road with great scenery. I then came back to Rochester along the Pilgrims Way. Although it rained for a couple of hours either side of Whitstable, it turned into a lovely sunny day.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1495029325/shareable_images/map_based?hl=en-US&v=1523125694

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Aprils ride done and dusted. The Man Of Kent Audax starting at Golden Green just outside of Tonbridge. Mixing it up with other CC'ers @frank9755 @smutchin and @iZaP . With @Trickedem signing us in at the start.

We had 2 and a half hours rain to start, drying out at about 10.30am. The weather from thereon was quite good indeed. We even had some warm sunshine for a while on the marshes.

So, 127 miles for the Audax and another 18 miles cycling to and from the start making a nice mileage total for the day of 145 miles.
Century # 6 for the year, #234 over all and month 89 in a row.
Roll on May.

30443627_10155723753045958_3225807441895620608_n.jpg

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Aprils ride done and dusted. The Man Of Kent Audax starting at Golden Green just outside of Tonbridge. Mixing it up with other CC'ers @frank9755 @smutchin and @iZaP . With @Trickedem signing us in at the start.

You weren't hanging around, were you? Not surprising I didn't see you again after the start. I was a bit late setting off due to mudguard fettling issues and rode at a rather gentler pace, back at the finish by 6.30pm, by which time you were long gone.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
You weren't hanging around, were you? Not surprising I didn't see you again after the start. I was a bit late setting off due to mudguard fettling issues and rode at a rather gentler pace, back at the finish by 6.30pm, by which time you were long gone.

With the rain at Faversham Vicarage I just grabbed a bacon roll for on the move. Another rider did the same thing and we stayed together for the rest of the ride. At Romney, we once again decided to grab food for on the go. My riding companion was a very fit copper, so he helped dragged my sorry arse home for the last few miles , bless him. We hit base at 5.10pm. That veggie soup along with a couple of cheese rolls was a godsend.
It damn near killed me climbing the hill and the last 8 miles to home. My legs are certainly feeling it on the commute this morning.

Last edited:
Top Bottom