The Imperial Century A Month Challenge Chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Trickedem

Guru
The lanes around the North Downs are fabulous. There is very little through traffic, so not many issues with cars and most locals are expecting cyclists and horse riders so tend to drive slowly. Lots of hills though.
I had actually planned a route for a Friday's Club Ride called Herons and Hills, that takes in some of the best bits local to me, starting and finishing in Rochester. I will definitely be running this as soon as possible, so will let you know. This includes one of the toughest hills in my area; Lockyers Hill. It is relatively short but is at least 25%. In the winter, getting a grip on the fallen leaves can be tricky.
Here is the route
A nice article on Kent Hills https://www.broleur.com/top-10-climbs-in-the-kent-alps/
This includes Birling Hill that I climbed on Sunday and of course the aforementioned Lockyers Hill.

robjh

Legendary Member
I took the plunge again yesterday for another year, and did 101 miles in two loops around the Cambridge area. It was a beautiful, cloudless sunny day but with a bitterly cold wind. It was probably close to 0 degrees when I set out at 6.30, and once I got out into the Fens near Ely there were traces of ice in the puddles, and I felt a couple of back-wheel slips on what may have been heavy frost. It bothered me though and I started going extra slow round corners.
The sun was lighting up Ely cathedral in a golden glow when I got there. I bought a takeway bun and coffee and found a small spot of sunlight to sit in, but boy it was cold, and I pulled on the extra layer that I'd bought just in case. Then down to Soham and Burwell and back towards Cambridge, and I then rode the next 40 miles into the wind. I took a minor road towards Horningsea that turned out to be an unmade bridleway and a quagmire of mud but only a few bits required carrying. Then later on the guided busway near St Ives the cycle path was under water and impassible, so that me and another cyclist took the cheeky option of nipping onto the bus tracks to get round it - watching all the while for buses of course.
I wasn't terribly fast, and only got home at 3.30, but it was a great start to this year's challenge. Just 11 more to go now.

Tribansman

Veteran
The lanes around the North Downs are fabulous. There is very little through traffic, so not many issues with cars and most locals are expecting cyclists and horse riders so tend to drive slowly. Lots of hills though.
I had actually planned a route for a Friday's Club Ride called Herons and Hills, that takes in some of the best bits local to me, starting and finishing in Rochester. I will definitely be running this as soon as possible, so will let you know. This includes one of the toughest hills in my area; Lockyers Hill. It is relatively short but is at least 25%. In the winter, getting a grip on the fallen leaves can be tricky.
Here is the route

Looks a great route that, loads of variety. Defo let me know when you're running it, fingers crossed it can be relatively soon 🤞

sittingbull

Veteran
Well that's 104 cold miles ridden :smile: Like everyone I'm limited on route options and it doesn't help having the river on one side. Plus if I go more than a few miles I hit built up areas and riding a century between sets of traffic lights is no fun. However I have many excellent parks on my doorstep so opted to open my 2021 account with perimeter laps of Sefton Park. Each of which is approximately 2.5 miles with a good road surface which is mildly undulating but basically flat.

I stopped on The Iron Bridge which got icy later in the ride. The Fairy Glen is below (tempting fate ;)). I only had one spare tube being so close to home (2 miles max) but didn't need it.

Next lap I stopped in front of the boating lake (it's been many years since I've seen a boat on it but that's what it is).

For what looked like a straightforward ride I have never had to concentrate so intensely. Pedestrians were walking in the road, joggers running in the road, many wearing black with headphones (even after dark) and earlier on cars were bumper to bumper all the way around, pulling out, doing U-turns, opening doors....... In fact I don't think I've ever seen it so busy!

Now my hat's in the ring I shall scratch my head for a better route next month. Hopefully I will be a bit fitter as I might struggle with hills at present with just a handful of road rides this year.

Almost a week left, good luck to anyone planning a qualifier :okay:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Well that's 104 cold miles ridden :smile: Like everyone I'm limited on route options and it doesn't help having the river on one side. Plus if I go more than a few miles I hit built up areas and riding a century between sets of traffic lights is no fun. However I have many excellent parks on my doorstep so opted to open my 2021 account with perimeter laps of Sefton Park. Each of which is approximately 2.5 miles with a good road surface which is mildly undulating but basically flat.

View attachment 570620

I stopped on The Iron Bridge which got icy later in the ride. The Fairy Glen is below (tempting fate ;)). I only had one spare tube being so close to home (2 miles max) but didn't need it.

View attachment 570621

Next lap I stopped in front of the boating lake (it's been many years since I've seen a boat on it but that's what it is).

For what looked like a straightforward ride I have never had to concentrate so intensely. Pedestrians were walking in the road, joggers running in the road, many wearing black with headphones (even after dark) and earlier on cars were bumper to bumper all the way around, pulling out, doing U-turns, opening doors....... In fact I don't think I've ever seen it so busy!

Now my hat's in the ring I shall scratch my head for a better route next month. Hopefully I will be a bit fitter as I might struggle with hills at present with just a handful of road rides this year.

Almost a week left, good luck to anyone planning a qualifier :okay:

Welcome back to the challenge :okay:

13 rider

Guru
Make that 8 ,Snuck over the line today a last day do or die effort . Did a local 25 mile loop 4 times passing home each lap ,didn't stop because I wouldn't have got out again the forth lap was an struggle

sittingbull

Veteran
Well that's Feb done :smile: The forecast was mild and dry. I set off with shades :becool: but after 30 miles it was more or less constant drizzle. I hadn't planned a route so headed for Hale Village and did multiple loops in and around the area.

First stop, the grounds of Speke Hall.

Next, Hale Village with the lighthouse in the background (honest).

Then the statue of John Middleton (The Childe of Hale).

John Middleton's house.

Finally the view from Pickerings Pasture with the Runcorn Bridge in the background.

So with 102 miles and another tough month done I'm looking forward to milder weather and venturing further afield (hopefully), because I'm pretty much out of local routes :okay:

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Got mine done today, weather wasn't as warm or sunny as forecast, but certainly a big improvement of the weather of late. Had to stop around 30 miles for a comfort break & managed to damage a cleat :sad: Was too early in the ride for my coffee stop at home, so rode next 20 or so miles not clipped in with my right foot :laugh:

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Got month 2 done today, and it felt like a struggle. There were some fairly modest hills and glum weather, but by 60 miles I was a mass of aches, my legs felt like lead and I had repetitive heartburn to boot. Something tells me I am quite out of shape.
Anyway, passed this at about 66 miles and I felt like I was one of them
View attachment 575066
Didn't see any of those on my visits, but I did see a Mastodon! ;)

Top Bottom