The Ineos Grenadier thread.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Buzzer

Came across this forum while looking to see if there's any news on the Grenadier's release date...and you know when you just have to say something?...
I just cannot believe all this about the Grenadier. It seemed a great idea, but I just cannot comprehend how it's going to be a success. In fact, I can't believe that it will actually get to production. For possibly the first time in my life (I'm 62 and a half) I can't see something that everyone else is apparently seeing! First of all, it's already dated - in both its design and its necessity. More than that, it isn't in any way 'British'. More than that, it will cost too much for old tech. More than that, the market for this vehicle isn't large enough for Ineos to make more than break-even. Much more than all that - have you seen the sheer number of competitors whose vehicles drift into the market for the Grenadier? It seems that every week, a new electric pick-up truck is announced in the US. Yes, electric, because the Grenadier is using diesel...diesel??? The days of diesel died a few years back before the Grenadier was even thought about! Oh, yes, Ineos is talking about an EV or a fuel cell, but can you imagine how much that is going to add to the final showroom cost? And on top of everything, Rivian are going to smash any sales the Grenadier could have got in the US (the world's largest car market).
This is all blowing my mind (because it's making me assess whether I have lost the plot, seriously). How on earth can this vehicle even make it to production? It seems to have everything against it - from the cost to the drivetrain. If this had been a larger Suzuki Jimny (the size of the old Defender 90) I would not only be singing its praises, but shifting money from my accounts to buy one. But it isn't! It's aimed at the wrong market, it looks old fashioned, it's made in France with a BMW diesel engine, it's too expensive, it isn't electric, and it already has way too many competitors for the overall market that it will be slotted into.*
* and I want to clarify that. The market for the Grenadier as a capable 4x4 in the rough stuff is VERY small. It's restricted to electricity companies, the RNLI, rescue teams, and some well-orf people who like to go fourbyfouring in something costing over twice what my first house cost me. The wider market, which is 4x4s which are essential to get to Tescos, include far too many capable rivals, like the Defender, the Jeep Wrangler, and the Ford Bronco (in the US - god help Land Rover and Ineos if Ford decide to sell the Bronco in Europe!). But more importantly, this market is about to get EVs, like the aforementioned Rivian, and the Wrangler Megneto, as well as Ford electric pick ups, and a myriad of other EV pick ups from various makers.

What am I not seeing? Why does there appear to be so many enthusiastic supporters of this Grenadier? How can you even think it will make it to production, let alone sell, and let alone sell in numbers large enough for Ineos to make a profit? If all you enthusiasts are right, then I'm very wrong. I can't be a bit wrong, it would have to be very. But I'm sure I'm right. EVEN IF it does get made, for the life of me I cannot see a market large enough for it to stay in production when everything about it is 'wrong' (engine, design, market, rivals, cost). Please tell me why I'm wrong - I genuinely would like to hear what you have to say.
Oh, and hello everyone - very new to cycling again after a break of 50 years!

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
When Landrover stopped producing the Defender , it was alike a death in the family :rolleyes: . The Grenedier reminds me of them. Defender is popular amongst customisers , it’s quite a niche market but currently growing and the value of defenders is going up . Maybe the Grenedier will go the same way? Or is it the rich billionaire play toy ? I dunno:whistle:

Not everyone wants an EV, at some point way into the future it will be enforced but until then , maybe there is still a market ?

Btw Jaguar Land River have been working on EVs as well , LR will be full electric by 2036 , think Jaguar will be before that from what I can read ? All new designs . However JLR aren’t after the cheap end of the market , haven’t for a whole which is obvious .

Came across this forum while looking to see if there's any news on the Grenadier's release date...and you know when you just have to say something?...
I just cannot believe all this about the Grenadier. It seemed a great idea, but I just cannot comprehend how it's going to be a success. In fact, I can't believe that it will actually get to production. For possibly the first time in my life (I'm 62 and a half) I can't see something that everyone else is apparently seeing! First of all, it's already dated - in both its design and its necessity. More than that, it isn't in any way 'British'. More than that, it will cost too much for old tech. More than that, the market for this vehicle isn't large enough for Ineos to make more than break-even. Much more than all that - have you seen the sheer number of competitors whose vehicles drift into the market for the Grenadier? It seems that every week, a new electric pick-up truck is announced in the US. Yes, electric, because the Grenadier is using diesel...diesel??? The days of diesel died a few years back before the Grenadier was even thought about! Oh, yes, Ineos is talking about an EV or a fuel cell, but can you imagine how much that is going to add to the final showroom cost? And on top of everything, Rivian are going to smash any sales the Grenadier could have got in the US (the world's largest car market).
This is all blowing my mind (because it's making me assess whether I have lost the plot, seriously). How on earth can this vehicle even make it to production? It seems to have everything against it - from the cost to the drivetrain. If this had been a larger Suzuki Jimny (the size of the old Defender 90) I would not only be singing its praises, but shifting money from my accounts to buy one. But it isn't! It's aimed at the wrong market, it looks old fashioned, it's made in France with a BMW diesel engine, it's too expensive, it isn't electric, and it already has way too many competitors for the overall market that it will be slotted into.*
* and I want to clarify that. The market for the Grenadier as a capable 4x4 in the rough stuff is VERY small. It's restricted to electricity companies, the RNLI, rescue teams, and some well-orf people who like to go fourbyfouring in something costing over twice what my first house cost me. The wider market, which is 4x4s which are essential to get to Tescos, include far too many capable rivals, like the Defender, the Jeep Wrangler, and the Ford Bronco (in the US - god help Land Rover and Ineos if Ford decide to sell the Bronco in Europe!). But more importantly, this market is about to get EVs, like the aforementioned Rivian, and the Wrangler Megneto, as well as Ford electric pick ups, and a myriad of other EV pick ups from various makers.

What am I not seeing? Why does there appear to be so many enthusiastic supporters of this Grenadier? How can you even think it will make it to production, let alone sell, and let alone sell in numbers large enough for Ineos to make a profit? If all you enthusiasts are right, then I'm very wrong. I can't be a bit wrong, it would have to be very. But I'm sure I'm right. EVEN IF it does get made, for the life of me I cannot see a market large enough for it to stay in production when everything about it is 'wrong' (engine, design, market, rivals, cost). Please tell me why I'm wrong - I genuinely would like to hear what you have to say.
Oh, and hello everyone - very new to cycling again after a break of 50 years!

I think Mr Ineos just wanted to make a car. And it has got a bike friendly 'toot' function on the horn.

It seems a hugely inappropriate vehicle to me but I'm not the target market. Won't it be splitting the new Landrover market - and that seems pretty small already ?

Just noticed that the wading depth is only 10cm more than my Nissan Leaf ! It's not as roughty toughty as they make out !

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Old defenders have quite a street cred, and, like many collectable old cars, especially old Deffenders, they get stolen for parts.

As for bucket loads, OK, not compared to the Fiesta etc, but comparatively for a real 4x4 they are selling well.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
My BiL - the one that looks like Ian Beale - is a senior man at JLR. Theyre bitterly disappointed at Defender sales, way below forecast...which was probably an unrealistic forecast in the first place.

They're now sheeting themselves at the arrival of the Grenadier, and even more at the £48,000 OTR price for the station wagon which seriously undercuts the closest spec LR version. Theyre now hammering the tv ads hoping to drum up some sales and drill into the public consciousness before the Grenadier becomes available, hence the crop of current macho, patriotic, and frankly sheet ads on tv.

They know that hoped for utility sales haven't materialised and the lifestyle market alone won't sustain the model and theyre running very scared now.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
I'd love a new Defender.

But I wouldn't want the hassle of owning it.

Sadly, despite the patriotic flag waving in the new ad, they're made in Slovakia so they don't even have a "Made in Britian" claim to redeem them any more :sad:

Of course, neither will the Grenadier, although it will have to try very hard to be worse made than the Defender.

GilesM

Legendary Member
My BiL - the one that looks like Ian Beale - is a senior man at JLR. Theyre bitterly disappointed at Defender sales, way below forecast...which was probably an unrealistic forecast in the first place.

They're now sheeting themselves at the arrival of the Grenadier, and even more at the £48,000 OTR price for the station wagon which seriously undercuts the closest spec LR version. Theyre now hammering the tv ads hoping to drum up some sales and drill into the public consciousness before the Grenadier becomes available, hence the crop of current macho, patriotic, and frankly sheet ads on tv.

They know that hoped for utility sales haven't materialised and the lifestyle market alone won't sustain the model and theyre running very scared now.

Having just waited over 8 months for my new Defender that is a bit tricky to understand, the thing that is clearly limiting sales is the supply chain problems, mainly semiconductors. You may be right, time will tell, but if the lack of activity at the Ineos stand at Goodwood Revival this year is anything to go by then I don't think the roads are going to be full of Grenadiers in the near future. The utilty market has pretty much gone to the Japanese pickups, and I cannot believe JLR weren't aware of that long before the new Defender was launched, even the old Defender was moving away from that market in its last few years.
As a purely aesthetic comment, having seen the Grenadier and new Defender (especially the 90) in the flesh, I cannot understand how anybody would buy the Grenadier, I appreciate that some people might not put looks at the top of the list when buying cars but why would you pay £48,000 for something that doesn't even look good.

Top Bottom