The Ineos Grenadier thread.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GilesM

Legendary Member
I'd love a new Defender.

But I wouldn't want the hassle of owning it.

Sadly, despite the patriotic flag waving in the new ad, they're made in Slovakia so they don't even have a "Made in Britian" claim to redeem them any more :sad:

Of course, neither will the Grenadier, although it will have to try very hard to be worse made than the Defender.
Assembled in Slovakia, the heart of it is built in Britain and shipped to Slovakia for final assembly, not perfect, but better than the Grenadier, which isn't even designed in Britain.

IG will likely be another land yacht clogging the roads, but at least cyclists can look forward to a friendly 'get out of my way' toot.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
As a purely aesthetic comment, having seen the Grenadier and new Defender (especially the 90) in the flesh, I cannot understand how anybody would buy the Grenadier, I appreciate that some people might not put looks at the top of the list when buying cars but why would you pay £48,000 for something that doesn't even look good.
Inevitably better built (they surely couldn't make it worse no matter gow hard they tried - no other manufacturr consistently manages to come lower pin the reliability rankings), better choice of much better power trains, bigger, it looks like its architecture is liable to make it better off road and more robust, vast range of options strsight from the factory that LR owners have to go to the aftermarket for. I could go on.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. The current Defender looks terribly dated. Its what the Defender would have looked like had it been launched 2 decades ago, and today it looks over styled and fussy, a pastiche of itself.

Conversely, the Grenadier is also not a looker. However, Ineos have made no secret that form was strictly dictated by function, which is hownit ended up bearing more than a passing resemblence to the original Defender - it was designed in the same manner to do the same job, and was not simply styled to imbue it with a passing family resemblance

Of course, anyone who buys either for their loompks needs to see a psychiatrist, pronto. That'd be like buying a Ferrai 275 to go off roading.

I wouldn't touch a JLR product with yours, but if the Grenadier holds half as good as its promise I'll be ordering mine.

GilesM

Legendary Member
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. The current Defender looks terribly dated. Its what the Defender would have looked like had it been launched 2 decades ago, and today it looks over styled and fussy, a pastiche of itself.

It certainly is, I understand some people even like the way Volvos look. :becool:

As for the JLR unreliability, I've just bought my second one, I don't think I'm too stupid, we can all make up our own minds.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Assembled in Slovakia, the heart of it is built in Britain and shipped to Slovakia for final assembly, not perfect, but better than the Grenadier, which isn't even designed in Britain.
Er, it was designed in Hampshire by Tony Ecuyer!

A kit car assembelled with Pritt Stik would be better built than an Offender! :laugh:

Im quiet glad of the Grenadiers diverse origin - German engine, Austrian drivetrain and suspension, German chassis all mean it will actually work. Real live axles, not airbags mimicing live axles...and the Offender's engines were uncompetitive when they were new, never mind before they finally found a home innthe Offender.

On or off road the Grenadier looks set to be more effective, more capable, more economical, more powerful. The list of "more.." when you compare spec to spec falls laughably against the Offender.

When I get mine we can get together to compare. I'll bring a large brimmed hat to hide your green face in the photos.

The people that make the Offender are very scared - as aforementioned, one of them is in my family - and are planning to acquire a Grenadier ASAP and pull it apart. I wonder why?

Last edited:

GilesM

Legendary Member
I thought the design team was based in Austria, but happy to be wrong, although I'm sure it's not been designed by just one man.

When I get mine we can get together to compare. I'll bring a large brimmed hat to hide your green face in the photos.
I've already compared them, that's why I bought the Defender, and so far I've needed the big brimmed hat to hide my smile, but it doesn't mean I'm not interested in the Grenadier, so would love to see what it's like and what it can.

GilesM

Legendary Member

A kit car assembelled with Pritt Stik would be better built than an Offender! :laugh:

Im quiet glad of the Grenadiers diverse origin - German engine, Austrian drivetrain and suspension, German chassis all mean it will actually work. Real live axles, not airbags mimicing live axles...and the Offender's engines were uncompetitive when they were new, never mind before they finally found a home innthe Offender.

On or off road the Grenadier looks set to be more effective, more capable, more economical, more powerful. The list of "more.." when you compare spec to spec falls laughably against the Offender.

The people that make the Offender are very scared - as aforementioned, one of them is in my family - and are planning to acquire a Grenadier ASAP and pull it apart. I wonder why?

Did you ever order a Grenadier, I've not seen one on the road yet, but I understand many have paid deposits, would be interested to see what you make of it.

mustang1

Guru
It certainly is, I understand some people even like the way Volvos look. :becool:

As for the JLR unreliability, I've just bought my second one, I don't think I'm too stupid, we can all make up our own minds.

I've had a few of them, admittedly all under 2 years old before swapping it, but I had zero problems.

Top Bottom