The Labrador Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbb

Legendary Member
And so the merry go round perhaps starts again.
Our Jake had to be euthanised a month or so ago and while we miss him, we've grown to like a not smelly garden...and house.
But a dog lover is a condition you have for life and the desire never really goes away...I even considered adopting my DILs staffie who simply isn't getting on with their other dog and it's getting messy and slightly dangerous with with kids....but it's a staffie and while I'm ambivalent about them, my wife isn't keen so that was that.
So now she hadps seen an advert for a labrador pup reasonably locally....£1400.
1400 :whistle:....but I can see it happening once lockdown is over.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
How are you getting with his new electronic Garmin? ( can't remember the real name ).
Its pretty good, broadly like a human fit bit or garmin but without the mapping. A typical day...

He'll get another half hour walk later. He does a fair few miles because if I go anywhere he goes with me, unless I'm on the bike. Ive even slipped on my sunglasses and taken him into Boots - had anyone asked, which they didn't, I was going to say he was an assistance dog. He played along with the ruse so well that no one challenged us.

Last edited:

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Our Jake had to be euthanised a month or so ago and while we miss him, we've grown to like a not smelly garden...and house.
But a dog lover is a condition you have for life and the desire never really goes away...I even considered adopting my DILs staffie who simply isn't getting on with their other dog and it's getting messy and slightly dangerous with with kids....but it's a staffie and while I'm ambivalent about them, my wife isn't keen so that was that.
I can't understand why puppies are so expensive or is it just an English thing? When I was young, in the 50s and 60s, puppies were given away as no one in its right mind would even contemplate charging.
The world has certainly changed a lot and everything seem to have monetary value nowadays, sad I say. :sad:

figbat

Slippery scientist
They’re mongrels with good PR and marketing departments. It seems you can portmanteau any two breeds now and they fly off the shelves. What’s next? Germancock? Shitreiver?

Persuade your wife you are doing the family a favour, take the staffie, it will be good.

gbb

Legendary Member
Persuade your wife you are doing the family a favour, take the staffie, it will be good.
They have rehomed it with an old friend of my son. The photos he (the new keeper) keeps posting just exude happiness and togetherness, its wonderful to see. It'll be a good partnership.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
A good quality pedigree lab pup from working stock is typically North of £1500 these days. I bought Lemmy as a puppy in 2013, top drawer pedigree with multiple field trials champions in every preceeding generation, and he was £500 - 8 years later and prices have gone doolally.

Wierdly though, 2 gees gets you a wonderful, finely bred lab, but some fools pay that or more for these stupid designer mongrels.

Tribansman

Veteran
Great thread.

Our friend's Springerdor, Loki (reckon he's more lab than springer). We look after him whenever they go on holiday - we were spoilt last year as they had a month long honeymoon abroad, house felt awful when he went home.

He's ridiculously affectionate and apart from when he's on a walk or running for the ball (he has the most intense obsession with that of any dog I've ever known!) he's super chilled out. He's the perfect family dog.

Dogs, and especially labs, are just wonderful aren't they. Always amazed by how trusting they are - we don't see him for months on end, but five minutes after he arrives he's sprawled over the sofa, lapping up fuss

IMG_20181013_101710.jpg

IMG_20190826_115915.jpg

IMG_20200723_195637.jpg

IMG_20200715_192951.jpg

Top Bottom