The Last Vulcan Flight

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
That is the issue.

The report I read described it as "illegal" because of this restriction

The video is here:

The alleged incident is on 4th October and hence after the issue of
Civil Aviation Authority Safety Notice Number: SN–2015/003

Arguably the manoeuvre was not specifically banned, but it depends what you define as a "high energy"

The last flight of the Vulcan was not however an air display so that specific Safety Notice isn't applicable. The fact that the Vulcan isn't cleared for aerobatics is covered under existing flight restrictions, but there'd wouldn't have been anything stopping the pilot pulling their normal wing over & high energy flight pattern.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
A properly executed barrel roll is a relatively benign maneouvre, pulling only a couple of g, which most aeroplanes are capable of performing in the hands of a competent pilot.
Quite so. Here's Tex Johnson in a 707....
[media]

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ra_khhzuFlE
[/media]

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
There is an ongoing debate in professional circles about whether that video (which is actually a series of still shots cobbled together) is genuine.

It don't look it.

I saw the Vulcan pull out of a few passes this year, and I reccon this was crap - it looks like it rolls, but it doesn't. Got mine on video.

gbb

Legendary Member
A bit off topic but was at mums and took a photo of dads squadron when they were equipped with Valiants. Never been able to figure which one IS dad, there are so many of them...taken late 50s, early 60s i should think...
20151028_153153_zpsyybpuzo0.jpg

Its incredible to think just 10 years before these, Lancasters were the best available. I was talking to dad once about his early RAF career, the early 50s say...the pace of technology must have been incredible. It was he said, you struggled to keep up. Definitely the most interesting time in military aviation.

Sorry to drag this one, from the Vaults, but the programme was on again, last night

I watched it with my daughter...... well, prodded her in the ribs, to get her away from her LapTop (& 'Sims'), when there was an interesting clip in the show

During the past year, for her exams, she's covered the Cold War, so the Cuban Missile Crisis clips were of interest
What did get to her was the ex crew-member who told, that at the age of 23, he was signing to take responsibility for a Nuclear weapon:eek:
Heck!!!, there's lads that age at work, that I wouldn't trust with a Toaster!

Once, she ascertained the size of a Vulcan, from the show, she wouldn't believe how manoeuvrable they were, untiI showed her clips like this
Even to me, that's a heck of a roll, so soon after take-off
It must be almost a '4 minute' scramble' departure?

gbb

Legendary Member
Sorry to drag this one, from the Vaults, but the programme was on again, last night

I watched it with my daughter...... well, prodded her in the ribs, to get her away from her LapTop (& 'Sims'), when there was an interesting clip in the show

During the past year, for her exams, she's covered the Cold War, so the Cuban Missile Crisis clips were of interest
What did get to her was the ex crew-member who told, that at the age of 23, he was signing to take responsibility for a Nuclear weapon:eek:
Heck!!!, there's lads that age at work, that I wouldn't trust with a Toaster!

Once, she ascertained the size of a Vulcan, from the show, she wouldn't believe how manoeuvrable they were, untiI showed her clips like this
Even to me, that's a heck of a roll, so soon after take-off
It must be almost a '4 minute' scramble' departure?

Then you understand why at Cherry Willingham where we were housed while dad was at Scampton, every now and then, quite often in fact, you'd hear the ominous thundering roar as they took off or as dad explained, occasionally did full throttle engine tests.. Our windows used to littlerally rattle....from around 6 miles away as the crow flys :ohmy:

Drago

Legendary Member
Different times, pre elf & safety

Only the British could be worried about Health and Safety in a strategic bomber designed to deliver nuclear weapons that could kill millions. We also adhere to EU rules on emissions from tanks, of all things, while forgetting that when being used for their intended purpose the emissions out of the opposite end are a lot deadlier than those from the exhaust.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
Only the British could be worried about Health and Safety in a strategic bomber designed to deliver nuclear weapons that could kill millions. We also adhere to EU rules on emissions from tanks, of all things, while forgetting that when being used for their intended purpose the emissions out of the opposite end are a lot deadlier than those from the exhaust.

I seem to recall the US having to scrap a type of bomb because it contained asbestos.

Reactions: gbb
Then you understand why at Cherry Willingham where we were housed while dad was at Scampton, every now and then, quite often in fact, you'd hear the ominous thundering roar as they took off or as dad explained, occasionally did full throttle engine tests.. Our windows used to littlerally rattle....from around 6 miles away as the crow flys :ohmy:

Where we lived had a long runway - the Vulcans would come over from Scampton just as it was getting dark - generally six in two flights of three - land with a short rollout - stand for 5 minutes - then heat the engines - then they would leave - still in their flights of three - about 30 seconds separation between the two flights and about as vertical as a Vulcan could get - by the time the first one was wheels up everything in the house that could possibly fall off or down had been placed on the floor by my mother :smile:

ozboz

Guru
In my last year at school I was on my way home one afternoon , I heard a terrific roar from behind me , so looking around and seemingly virtually able to touch it there was this Vulcan flying at incredibly low level , as a teen we lived about 5 miles from AVRO Chadderton , it was a fly past for some reason for the workers ,
Left me in awe !!

Reactions: gbb
Top Bottom