The Last Vulcan Flight

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
They've announced the final flight will just be a 15 minute hop. :sad:

It'll be announced with very little notice to avoid crowds causing issues at the airport, so I guess they'll just go for the best opportunity weather-wise, so probably Thursday morning.

subaqua

What’s the point
I like the commentary

" don't cry because its over, smile because it happened"

Fast runs down the strip then till the engines finally fail. not the same as a full flight engine roar.

gbb

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 3983178, member: 76"]It makes me laugh that the paint was supposed to help it hiding, in fact all fast jets and bombers. You can hear it coming from 10 miles and then hear it flying away for 20! Being overflown by a fast jet, fast, is a whole body experience :hyper:[/QUOTE]
I love the :hyper:.....:laugh:
I was driving past RAF Wittering once as a Harrier came into land, maybe 50 to 100ft right over the top of us, engines howling, travelling relatively slow...better still, the cars sliding roof was open (yes, it was a long time ago). The noise:ohmy:! The din, it made your eyes open wide, your jaw just dropped and you grinned from ear to ear for the rest of the journey :smile:

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
I worked at British Aerospace (as it was then) for 10 years after I left uni. A couple of times I had to talk to the aircrew in a Tornado just before flight - had a throat mike, ear defenders/headphones, with a wire plugged into the aircraft's coms system. The engines were running. That was a whole body experience! I could just about hear what they said, but talking back to them I couldn't hear my own voice inside my head at all! The noise, even through the ear defenders, was incredible.

Last edited:

Houthakker

A Happy Wanderer
Saw something on TV the other day that they thought the pilot had rolled the Vulcan on one of its last flights. I do remember a flight sergeant of mine who had been a crew chief on them telling me it had been done years ago, against the laws of aerodynamics apparently.

swansonj

Guru
It's being discussed over on pprune and the general consensus is the footage is fake. However, there is the delicious possibility they actually did barrel roll it. The CAA than have to decide on a sanction ... such as withdrawing the type rating from the pilot... :ohmy:

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
I do remember a flight sergeant of mine who had been a crew chief on them telling me it had been done years ago, against the laws of aerodynamics apparently.

A properly executed barrel roll is a relatively benign maneouvre, pulling only a couple of g, which most aeroplanes are capable of performing in the hands of a competent pilot.

I think barrel rolls were only outlawed post Shoreham, so it is a very recent issue.

That is the issue.

The report I read described it as "illegal" because of this restriction

The video is here:

The alleged incident is on 4th October and hence after the issue of
Civil Aviation Authority Safety Notice Number: SN–2015/003

Arguably the manoeuvre was not specifically banned, but it depends what you define as a "high energy"

Flying displays over land by vintage jet aircraft will be significantly restricted until further
notice. They will be limited to flypasts, which means ‘high energy’ aerobatics will not be
permitted

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
Saw it flying 3 times this year; Old Warden display, Bomber Command memorial and flying over Upminster Common (It might have been over my house, but that was a chance I wasn't prepare to take)

Top Bottom