FNRttC The latest news on The Fridays Vi(v)a Colonia Tour......

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Praise be. Train made up the time & got into Waterloo East bang on schedule. Stu G & Claudine disembarked at Orpington & London Bridge respectively. Two minutes or so after arriving at Waterloo East, I was on the main station concourse & made the 1630 fast train south with no bother. Phew....

Snail Bait

Thank you to everyone who made this a lovely week of cycling. So chuffed to have done the whole thing. The Gods were smiling on me at London Bridge and a train to Blackheath turned up two minutes after I arrived from Dover. Home now and also considering a non cheese and ham option for supper.

Andrew Br

Still part of the team !
We're on the train from Euston. The one before our's was cancelled so this one is busy. The guard is making a very sensible announcement "Bums belong on seats, coats and bags go in the racks". He's coming through the train to see how many seats he can free up since they're standing in the vestibules.
We bagged our reserved seats although we were last on since there was no-one to open the bike space.
Only two more trains before we're home..........

OP
OP
mmmmartin

mmmmartin

Random geezer
The cheese and ham diet is being replaced by steak with quite possibly a passable Malbec.
A freshly made loaf is due to go into the oven for baking.
There is, I believe, some proper brown Kentish beer in the house, to be served at room temperature.
Just sayin'.

StuartG

slower but further
Before I forget, @Gordon P and @redfalo, thank you. It was good.
Wrong. It was very, very good.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Oof. As some of you may have noticed, I found that tough. Tougher than expected. A lot of that was the blast of sub-tropical heat, a lot of it was the spare tractor tyre that appears to have reappeared around my middle, a lot was the lack of saddle time I've enjoyed over the last year or so. Some was also down to my trouble working out how much I should eat - my strongest day by far was the day I had a smallish breakfast and a smallish lunch. And some was my inability to read, mark, learn and inwardly digest numbers which indicate distance. This reputation I have for being highly numerate is really unfair.....

We made good use of good-quality Belgian railways, for which hurrah, and as a result had a good holiday in good company, with good riding. Although boo for the Dutch love affair with red concrete as a road surface.

kimble

Veteran
I find that eating in any quantity rarely goes well with cycling, and that's doubly bad when it's hot. Little and often is the order of the day, which is something I've learned through experience. What I did get wrong was drinking too much in one go when the thirst kicked in on the first day, with inevitable digestive consequences.

As for the achilles thing - not a clue. I'm going to chalk it up to bad luck, perhaps related to heat, or to so much group riding on the flat (I've done prolonged tours before, but solo or in groups of disparate speed where I've ridden at my own pace and regrouped at the top of each climb), or perhaps due to insufficiently worn-in shoes. I'm taking things easy and avoiding walking/cycling/crouching/etc for a few days and seeing how it goes.

While the various surfaces encountered on this tour have certainly explained a thing or two about the design decisions that went into my sturdy German touring bicycle, I remain intrigued as to what those setts are like when you're riding a Dutch bike with traditional semi-flat tyres, and indeed why the diagonal pattern is quite so much worse vibration-wise than the square ones.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
I don't know, @srw, you often seemed to be flying about, much quicker than me a lot of the time. Maybe you should let up a wee bit?
It's an illusion. Given the amount of kinetic energy* I generate (probably double yours, at least) it's more tiring getting up to speed than maintaining a speed. And I finding going more slowly than I want to very tiring indeed, because I'm less stable.

*no doubt the wrong physical quantity, and a scientist will put me right.

kimble

Veteran
Someone comes round and leaves a bucket outside each tent?

Now I have a proper computer:

2016_09_11_07_00_42.sized.jpg

2016_09_11_07_00_21.sized.jpg

Shower off to the right...

kimble

Veteran
you could almost dispense with the tent
Given the presence of the heater (which came in quite handy for drying our stuff), that thought did occur to me...

Ob-tents:

2016_09_11_18_53_24.sized.jpg

(At the Venlo campsite, with better light, en-suite midges and a better class of static caravan.)

Last edited:
Top Bottom