The Logan's Run thread (and other 70's SciFi....)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have a theory: everyone's favourite HHGttG is they way they consumed it first. I used to know people who thought the album versions were best. I don't know anyone who first encountered it through the movie, so haven't put this theory to the ultimate test.

(I think the radio series is best, and regard almost all variations from that in subsequent versions as flaws. But I listened to the radio version first)

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
Wasn't the Hitch Hikers theme a 'Floyd track?

The first radio series was re-recorded in the studio for two Vinyl LP's and included a Floyd reference. When they land on Magrathea, Arthur notes that Marvin the Android can 'hum like Pink Floyd'. i don't think this is in the radio series, only for the album:
496_hitchhikers1_lp_uk_front.jpg

I would recommend this, which includes an interview with DA who finally lays to rest where the idea behind '42' comes from!:
H2G2_Radio_Collectors_Edition_booklet_front.jpg

Mr Celine

Discordian
Bringing it neatly back on topic, the scene in HHGttG where Arthur and Ford are desperately trying to explain to the Vogon why they like his poetry is similar to the scene in my living room when I try to explain to Mrs Celine why I am watching Walkabout for the umpteenth time.

perplexed

Guru
I bought the 1980s HHGttG on DVD recently off t' Amazon recently and really enjoyed it. I re-read the books from time to time. I've never listened to the radio series, must see if it's available anywhere. The film was rubbish.

captain nemo1701

I bought the 1980s HHGttG on DVD recently off t' Amazon recently and really enjoyed it. I re-read the books from time to time. I've never listened to the radio series, must see if it's available anywhere. The film was rubbish.

I thoroughly recommend the radio series. It's epic!. Best listened to if you are doing something like decorating or gardening so you can binge on the episodes. Listen to the end credits as they have gags too. Stuff like "Parents of young organic life-forms are warned that towels can be harmful if swallowed in large quantities" and " copies of the guide are available by writing to Megadodo publications, Megadodo House, Ursa Minor Beta enclosing £4.95 for the book and £578,000,000 postage & packing"
Spoil yourself, you'll enjoy it!.

captain nemo1701

They did.. only lasted 1 series

It's been bugging me if this was Logan's Run or Buck Rogers:

Episode deals with a time traveller from the past, who on returning to the past, leaves a video message for Logan/Buck. In the message he reveals that it was his time travelling that caused the nuclear war that ravaged the world in the first place. Anyone know which show it was?. I'm thinking maybe buck Rogers, late 70's version with Gil Gerard.

Episode deals with a time traveller from the past, who on returning to the past, leaves a video message for Logan/Buck. In the message he reveals that it was his time travelling that caused the nuclear war that ravaged the world in the first place. Anyone know which show it was?. I'm thinking maybe buck Rogers, late 70's version with Gil Gerard.
Well, Buck Bogers involved time travel, and presumably Logan's Run did not, so that's your answer.

Or you could read this and this.

Edit: It's Logan's Run, Episode 5 (thank you Ctrl-F)

burndust

Parts unknown...baby

i do believe that was buck rogers, they put him on trial for it bit he got off

i do believe that was buck rogers, they put him on trial for it bit he got off
I'm wrong. "Testimony of a Traitor"

"When the Searcher returns to Earth, Buck is immediately arrested on charges of high treason. He stands trial while his peers review a 500-year-old piece of evidence – a videotape from the 20th-Century unearthed from the ruins of an Air Force Base – which shows Buck working with treasonous military personnel who brought about World War III. Facing the death penalty, Buck must prove his innocence, but he has no memory of his involvement with any of the events. He then resorts to using Dr. Goodfellow's repressed memory probe, (which shows among other things, Rogers meeting with the President of the United States in a secret base inside Mount Rushmore), in hopes of finding the truth of what really happened before a final verdict is rendered."

(because, as we know, video tape and players will easily survive 500 years and nuclear armageddon)

burndust

Parts unknown...baby
I'm wrong. "Testimony of a Traitor"

"When the Searcher returns to Earth, Buck is immediately arrested on charges of high treason. He stands trial while his peers review a 500-year-old piece of evidence – a videotape from the 20th-Century unearthed from the ruins of an Air Force Base – which shows Buck working with treasonous military personnel who brought about World War III. Facing the death penalty, Buck must prove his innocence, but he has no memory of his involvement with any of the events. He then resorts to using Dr. Goodfellow's repressed memory probe, (which shows among other things, Rogers meeting with the President of the United States in a secret base inside Mount Rushmore), in hopes of finding the truth of what really happened before a final verdict is rendered."

(because, as we know, video tape and players will easily survive 500 years and nuclear armageddon)
funnily enough this about the only episode i can remember..i'll add i watched the shows many years after its original run...i'm not that old:laugh:

Top Bottom