The Logan's Run thread (and other 70's SciFi....)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
simon the viking
Perhaps I should have called this thread 'The 70's SciFi thread'

All good stuff though keep them dodgy effects coming.... surprised no one has mentioned Space 1999 or Blake's 7 yet :whistle: (last series... only redeeming feature is Glynis Barber pre Dempsey and Makepeace)

OP
OP
simon the viking
As O.P I've edited the the thread title a tad.....

surprised no one has mentioned Space 1999

I'd seriously assumed this post (before it was edited) was about Space 1999.
[QUOTE 4859495, member: 259"]Eagles[/QUOTE]
Remember that had roughly an infinite supply of Eagles - and pilots? They crashed them all the time; big, explody crashes that no one is walking away from or salvaging much from.

[QUOTE 4859495, member: 259"]Eagles. I don't think the Floyd 'did' banjos. :rolleyes:

[/QUOTE]

That's not what the robot was humming.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOxN9FyO9U0

Drago

Legendary Member
Surprised no one has mentioned...

85879.jpg

Chromatic

Legendary Member
I'm almost certain we've been here before in these very pages but those of us of a certain age will have fond memories:

ufo_moonbase_girls_purple_wigs.jpg

Inertia

I feel like I could... TAKE ON THE WORLD!!
I have a theory: everyone's favourite HHGttG is they way they consumed it first. I used to know people who thought the album versions were best. I don't know anyone who first encountered it through the movie, so haven't put this theory to the ultimate test.

(I think the radio series is best, and regard almost all variations from that in subsequent versions as flaws. But I listened to the radio version first)
I think I'm the exception then, I saw the tv series first, read the books and finally listened to the radio series. The radio series is my favourite by far, the first two books were fun but then it seemed to turn to serious for me in the later books.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I probably haven't seen Logan's Run since the 80s... i might have to rectify that shameful admission. I do seem to recall the 2nd half of the movie getting really slow and quite dull though.

My shout for abnother slice of 70s sci-fi is the awesome (and cheap) Timeslip
timeslip22.jpg

Sadly, only B&W versions remain, with one episode in colour surviving... bit it's still great.

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
I probably haven't seen Logan's Run since the 80s... i might have to rectify that shameful admission. I do seem to recall the 2nd half of the movie getting really slow and quite dull though.

My shout for abnother slice of 70s sci-fi is the awesome (and cheap) Timeslip
View attachment 359466
Sadly, only B&W versions remain, with one episode in colour surviving... bit it's still great.

I have this on my PC and watch it from time to time. Great SF for kids at the time and yes, we did manage to find gaps in fences to crawl through but alas , no time barrier!.
http://www.timeslip.org.uk/

Trivia about this show: Simon's older self in the story 'Year of the Burn Up' (prophetic about global warming for 1970!) was played by David Graham who is Parker & Brains from the original Thunderbirds. The show was produced by Ruth Boswell, who later went on to give us The Tomorrow People.

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
I'd seriously assumed this post (before it was edited) was about Space 1999.

Remember that had roughly an infinite supply of Eagles - and pilots? They crashed them all the time; big, explody crashes that no one is walking away from or salvaging much from.

That's not what the robot was humming.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOxN9FyO9U0

Apparently, in the show they only crashed one Eagle that was the big 44 inch model and it duly got cleaned up, ready for crashing the next episode!. They put breakable bits on it to fly off when it crashed and the big explosions were - I believe- combinations of small gunpowder charges and flammable fuel. They go up in a couple of seconds, the fuel creating a big flame, but when filmed at high speed, they look spectacular. Best crash they did, from Season 2, goes a bit Pete Tong about 17 mins in. Today it would be CGI, but this literally is bloke up on high, acting as 'puppeteer', crashing the model into the set on wires. Brilliant stuff, great miniature sets and photography that still stands up today.

The Immunity Syndrome

Last edited:
Top Bottom