The men's dress style thread..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Just picked up a jacket from the menders having had a small hand-stitched repair. Seamstress hadn't given me a number as it was such a minor job so I found myself trying to explain to her which one it was. English isn't her first language and the only way I could think of to describe it was 'it was just a quick hand job'. Caught myself just in time...

that might have cost extra or at least needed a generous tip....

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
One for @Accy cyclist, I discovered by a quick discount code google that TWENTYOFF will work at one of your fave's, Brook Taverner, which tipped me into ordering a Harris Tweed jacket and some shirts from their clearance sale.

Thanks, but the other day I bought that Cordings suit I gave a link to. Like the Brook Taverner stuff I got a discount, though 'only' 15 percent. They offered me the discount due to me being a 'valued client', not using the word customer which is unusual. 🤔 Cordings never use the 'hard sell' technique. They don't send endless emails like some do (Peter Christian bombard you). They seem to have a take it or leave it attitude/approach which I quite like, but just as you're preparing to buy their stuff, typing in your card number etc they send you an email with a discount number/code. I have the suit here, but so far I've only tried the jacket on, which fits perfectly. It's a very heavy suit, so I'll have to get some wear out of it before the warmer months arrive, then I'll put it in a suit bag probably till next late October.

jk746-bluxx-loc-1_1-jpg.jpg

Pics of the suit and packaging to follow.

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
Going out for a meal this evening to celebrate my 56th, daughter #3's 27th and her fellers 28th, which all fall on consecutive days this week. Anyhoo, this means I'm going to have to wear something other than joggers for the first time since November.

Gunk

Guru
Going out for a meal this evening to celebrate my 56th, daughter #3's 27th and her fellers 28th, which all fall on consecutive days this week. Anyhoo, this means I'm going to have to wear something other than joggers for the first time since November.

Happy birthday mate, have a good evening

Profpointy

Legendary Member

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Fair play, that is genuinely nice ... but is it any nicer than that Harris tweed suit at half the price you persuaded me to buy the other day?

Second 'by coincidence' of the day. I was only thinking a short while ago about asking if you'd bought that suit. How is it? Is the one I bought nicer you ask. It's different I'd say. I wore the tweed pants you've bought while out walking today. I'd say the cloth is more 'rustic' than the Cordings suit and isn't as sharp a cut as the Cordings suit. Both are tweed, but they are quite different to each other. The Cordings suit is classed as both country and town, so I suppose they made/cut it to look 'smarter' than the country influenced one you've bought.

Last edited:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
One for @Accy cyclist, I discovered by a quick discount code google that TWENTYOFF will work at one of your fave's, Brook Taverner, which tipped me into ordering a Harris Tweed jacket and some shirts from their clearance sale.

Very pleased with my purchase, as expected the Harris Tweed is quite course, but then the sheep on the Hebrides face some pretty rough weather. Its supposed to be very hard wearing so may well outlast me. The lining is quite cool, with a maps of the Hebrides outlined in it. also has some nice touches in the details.

Last edited:

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Very pleased with my purchase, as expected the Harris Tweed is quite course, but then the sheep on the Hebrides face some pretty rough weather. Its supposed to be very hard wearing so may well outlast me. The lining is quite cool, with a maps of the Hebrides outlined in it.

Harris tweed is quite a loose weave so not particularly strong compared to say Donegal tweed, sometimes marketed as "thornproof". However an old pal was a scientific officer with the Water Board, and for his role checking up on farmers he needed to look smart-ish but a suit was too city-boy. Harris tweed like a country vet gave him the right gravitas and authority. Anyhow, someone had had a carboy of battery acid leak in the van and it had gone all over his new tweed jacket, and nylon lining completely melted. He swilled it in water and his mum made a new lining and the tweed itself was just fine

Top Bottom