The men's dress style thread..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I know a gentleman should remove his hat indoors, but as a shop is a public space does the same exemption that applies to certain public spaces apply here as well?

I can't imagine a chap such as yourself getting it wrong. 😊

If you're the guest, then remove your hat as you enter the premises. If you're the host awaiting the guest, you're allowed to keep your hat on, I believe is the rule. 🤔 Besides, it's always cold in winter in that shop. I always wear a hat to keep my head warm.

Keep the headgear on if it's part of an uniform or for safety or hygiene, otherwise off indoors. Different places and times had different etiquette, eg 19c USA gents kept theirs on until bedtime.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I emailed Cordings today after noticing they have a 15 percent off on certain items offer on at the moment. Being cheeky I asked them If I bought a linen suit in the next month or so could they give me a discount. Expecting a 'sorry, but those suits will only be on offer at a lower price nearing the end of summer' type reply I was pleased when they replied soon after offering me 15 percent off my next Cordings purchase, whatever the item. If I were to buy the below suit I'd get £106.50 off its £710 price. I'm thinking of buying the suit for when the warmer weather arrives. Maybe buy it in April for the summer months, yet keeping an eye out for the sizes disappearing, making me wary that my size could be next. I like the olive one and the sand one. I asked a customer in the shop today which she preferred. She said she thought the sand one was more 'summery', but the olive one was more practical. 🤔

jk734_grnol-b_loc_1.jpg

jk734_grnol-e.jpg

https://www.cordings.co.uk/olive-bambridge-linen-jacket.html

jk734-tansn-loc-1.jpg

tr520-tansn-loc-1.jpg

https://www.cordings.co.uk/sand-bambridge-linen-jacket.html

If I were to buy one of their linen suits I'd have the trousers cuffed/turn ups. I think cuffed/turned up trousers look smarter than straight hemmed ones.

Last edited:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Buying all these Cordings suits and trousers has its drawbacks. I rarely visit charity shops these days, looking out for tweed jackets for a fiver type stuff. I used to like finding an old, well made tweed jacket, sometimes almost hardly worn, sometimes with missing buttons etc that could be replaced. Now my attitude is 'why buy such stuff when you own such high quality Cordings clothes'! It'd be like looking at a week's holiday in Morecambe when you quite often visit The Bahamas!! :whistle:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Keep the headgear on if it's part of an uniform or for safety or hygiene, otherwise off indoors. Different places and times had different etiquette, eg 19c USA gents kept theirs on until bedtime.

Here are two fellow hat wearers, both named George, who refuse to take their hats off, whatever the circumstances or etiquette.

QNjv4BqABqq2hkeCmkkLCJ1aFwBS1AnGrsY9MphJG6JWUjouPo.jpg

gettyimages-1317614764.jpg?crop=1xw:1.jpg

Last edited:

grldtnr

Here are two fellow hat wearers, both named George, who refuse to take their hats off, whatever the circumstances or etiquette.

View attachment 723098

View attachment 723099

Not sure I'd like to meet either of these fellows, certainly couldn't call or name as' Gentlemen', both of dubious reputations!

One is a rapscallion MP, the other has a lifestyle I couldn't tolerate, but he can't help the way he is born.

Do either of them dress to the left or right?

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
A bloke I'd say in his late 20's, maybe early 30's bought a 1950's clutch bag, similar to the one below today from the retro clothing/accessories shop I work in. He came in asking if we had such a thing. I found one and handed it to him. He then asked if I thought it was ok for a male to carry such a bag. I said to him that it wasn't my type of thing, but if he liked it then why not. He then pulled out 2 twenty pound notes and a tenner and asked how much the bag was. I looked at the label and saw it was £30. He gave me the £50 he had in his hand and thanked me, saying keep the change it's worth much more than £50 30. After He'd left I phoned the shop's owner (He wasn't in today) thinking I'd/we'd sold an item listed as £30 but worth a lot more. The owner who's very clued up about such accessories said no, I checked the quality, age and where it was made and by who and it's definitely not worth more that the £30 asking price! So I ask, what did the buyer of the bag know that we didn't, if there is something we don't know and why would a man in his later 20's, early 30's want a 1950's ladies clutch bag?! By the way, the £20 more than the asking price he gave me went in my pocket, not the till as the shop's owner said when I started working there that any 'tips' I get/make go in my pocket, not the till! :okay:

gsrs9eTa10t5lvfibwFWYmuceHv-uzd5h1_7xMCpP3b6Pomzgc.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
wafter

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
A bloke I'd say in his late 20's, maybe early 30's bought a 1950's clutch bag, similar to the one below today from the retro clothing/accessories shop I work in. He came in asking if we had such a thing. I found one and handed it to him. He then asked if I thought it was ok for a male to carry such a bag. I said to him that it wasn't my type of thing, but if he liked it then why not. He then pulled out 2 twenty pound notes and a tenner and asked how much the bag was. I looked at the label and saw it was £30. He gave me the £50 he had in his hand and thanked me, saying keep the change it's worth much more than £50. After He'd left I phoned the shop's owner (He wasn't in today) thinking I'd/we'd sold an item listed as £30 but worth a lot more. The owner who's very clued up about such accessories said no, I checked the quality, age and where it was made and by who and it's definitely not worth more that the £30 asking price! So I ask, what did the buyer of the bag know that we didn't, if there is something we don't know and why would a man in his later 20's, early 30's want a 1950's ladies clutch bag?! By the way, the £20 more than the asking price he gave me went in my pocket, not the till as the shop's owner said when I started working there that any 'tips' I get/make go in my pocket, not the till! :okay:

View attachment 723179

having one's closet "tastes" validated probably has to be worth £20 - he was probably waiting years for that :tongue:

I've been feeling the linen recently too; gravitating towards straight linen drawsting trousers and a poloneck for parading around the house like an aspiring early-20th-century French existentialist, while my favourite suit jacket remains a nice mid-brown linen effort.

I think I like the fabric as it adds enough texture to have some depth without trying too hard; while it's obviously gloriously airy in the summer.
Still looking for a decent black linen suit jacket, as well as a beige and/or grey/black houndstooth jacket; amongt other things.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
having one's closet "tastes" validated probably has to be worth £20 - he was probably waiting years for that :tongue:

I've been feeling the linen recently too; gravitating towards straight linen drawsting trousers and a poloneck for parading around the house like an aspiring early-20th-century French existentialist, while my favourite suit jacket remains a nice mid-brown linen effort.

I think I like the fabric as it adds enough texture to have some depth without trying too hard; while it's obviously gloriously airy in the summer.
Still looking for a decent black linen suit jacket, as well as a beige and/or grey/black houndstooth jacket; amongt other things.

I bought a light grey Next, 2 piece linen suit last March for about £150. I probably wore it about 7 or 8 times in the spring and summer. It's not bad, but I think Next quality isn't the same as it was when they first appeared in the 1980's. I also bought a pair of beige River Island lined trousers, for a tenner from a charity shop in the summer. I wore them a lot throughout the summer, while not wearing shorts as much these days do to age things. I found a cream linen made in Italy 3 piece linen suit in a charity shop early last year. On feeling the suit's material and cut of the suit I got slightly exited thinking it might fit me, but sadly on looking at the waist size I saw 36 short on the label. I bet that suit was around £700 to £800 when new.

Top Bottom