The men's dress style thread..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tenkaykev

Guru
Seems a bit of a shame to buy spanish-made shoes from a german company when the UK has such a strong shoe making tradition!
So true. I have a pair of Hotters black lace up shoes which are over a decade old and look as new. Supremely comfortable, if a tad on the heavy side.

stephec

Legendary Member
Seems a bit of a shame to buy spanish-made shoes from a german company when the UK has such a strong shoe making tradition!
The boot must be on the other foot now.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I'm not going to buy them now that you've said that! :laugh: Seriously though, I have 2 pairs almost like those in the link and many more 'chestnut', 'cognac', 'tan' etc coloured shoes and boots that I just do not need any more! :stop:

Also, I don't fancy another month of pain when breaking new boots in! :thumbsdown:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
There I was out yesterday when a woman asked me what 'aftershave' I wore. She said she'd sniffed me before and didn't like what I had on that day, but she liked the one I was wearing. I explained to her that I wear different fragrances depending on the weather/temperature, how I feel, what I'm wearing etc. I watch videos where it's said that you should find a 'signature fragrance and own it'.:rolleyes: When out and about I smell the odd fragrance every now and then. I'm either going nose blind or as I suspect people aren't wearing 'fine fragrances' much these days.🤔

Last edited:

Profpointy

Legendary Member

Whilst I agree, a pair of those made by Crocketts or even Cheaney in Northampton are going to be £400. To be fair the quality will be outstanding, and they'd be worth it, but it's still £400, which might be a bit much for, well, most of us really.

That said I once bought a pair of very nice seeming Spanish brogues at a very fair price, but they literally fell to bits after maybe a year. In contrast my Loakes were resoled some six times before they were completely shot, and Loakes are one of the cheaper makes; maybe "only" £200 which is genuinely a bargain

johnblack

Über Member
As I’ve got older my appreciation for good shoes has increased as I suppose my ability to afford them has. It has become my biggest weakness and yes they are expensive, but the quality and durability means that they will hopefully last me until I’m buried in them.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Obviously now is the time to post the Captain Samuel Vimes Boots theory of socioeconomic unfairness as related by the late Terry Pratchett.

vfPCMCJ_d.webp

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
Don't know when the OP last looked in, but I would be a little bit cagey about taking sartorial direction from a bunch of cyclists.
Effortless style and confidence cannot be purchased on the high street, or along Saville Row. Much more important in my view to pay attention to really liking yourself. And then you can carry off pretty much any clothing, with the obvious exception of Crocs, grey sweat pants and cargo trousers.

Tenkaykev

Guru
A couple of quality scarves I bought from 'the shop' today.

View attachment 627712

Ten quid for both and a 'proper dicky bow tie' I've brought home to practice tying one. I made a semi decent attempt this aft' but I'll need this to get it right.

In the dim and distant mists of time when I were but a lad, the company I worked for had a Christmas "do ". As apprentices we were supposed to dress " smart " so the four of us decided that we would wear bow ties with jacket and white shirts. Unbeknown to the others, I purchased a " proper " bow tie instead of the made up ones that fasten with a clip. I practiced a fair bit to get proficient at making a proper bow. Come the night of the Christmas do we were given the nod of approval by management who were suitably impressed that we'd made the effort. After the meal as the night wore on and the beers started flowing we summoned up the courage to ask some of the office girls for a dance. Dancing is warm work and the lads quickly removed their bow ties and stuck them in their pockets. I just undid mine, unbuttoned my top button and let the wings hang. It was worth the effort just to see the look on my mates faces 😁

Top Bottom