The men's dress style thread..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnblack

Über Member
Thanks again all :smile:

Thanks - they did crop up when I was looking at stuff a while ago but I couldn't find a lot of info on them so was a bit skeptical. I agree with some of the other posts in that it appear to be courting the grey pound; however some of their gear does look good and potentially quite "covertly technical" / crossing over into the smart / casual market.

I'll certainly pay more attention to Rohan stuff in future, but hopefully I'm set with the outdoors gear I have currently (Scarpa boots, some aged but cockroach-tough Craghoppers trousers, the battered old Rab baselayer (that's been great for years but is now bobbled, covered in pulled-threads and sun-bleached after its intensive use on the bike for 3k miles of 'rona-sponsored cycling utopia last year), my ME fleeces and waterproof shell.

I feel like I've found my feet a bit at least with outdoor gear as I've gone of North Face (too yank and commercial), have gone off Rab a bit since I found out they're no longer independent / couldn't find much of their gear that looked good on me, and have always found Berghaus a bit "meh" (although have liked some of their fleeces in the past). I've also learned an amount about the technologies involved (difference between DWR and multi-layer waterproof fabrics for example) so feel like I can make a bit more of an informed choice now.

I've also found it really rewarding learning about other types of clothes - fabrics, fits, styles, brand histories etc. I've been getting a lot from the Gentleman's Gazette on youtube - these guys dress up far more than I'd ever feel comfortable doing; however despite the eye-watering costs of some of the ger they like, they're not pretentious and a lot of their content (such as guides on fit, style, convention, buying etc) can be applied to a lot more frugal gear... and of course as they frequently point out, buying used vintage gear can often save you a lot of money as well as getting much, much more for your money :smile:

Thanks - as it happens there is no significant other (which, along with the perpetual march of time is no doubt one of the driving forces behind my new-found interest in my appearance) however I can completely appreciate where you're coming from.

I hear where you're coming from and tbh I just find it difficult where to draw the line as I don't want to over-dress and find it difficult to pull away from the old-favourites!

The last few days have been pretty rewarding on the wardrobe front - I've now sorted through, tried on and catalogued nearly all of my clothes; and as a result feel more comfortable both with what I have and what I want / need. I've also managed to push my mother into doing the same and yesterday saw a trip to the charity shop with half a car load of stuff to be disposed of; which felt like a big achievement and has freed up a fair amount of physical space - as well as decluttering my head somewhat too :smile:

I still have a load more stuff to sell (including some of my late father's clothes if I can bring myself to do so, as they're all too big for me) but this feels like a bit of a milestone and I hope to be able to stay on top of / get more pleasure from my wardrobe in future.
I’m going to suggest it’s fairly hard to over dress, I mean full morning suit or dinner dress for a couple up the local might be a bit much, but other than that, if you feel good, go for it. Some old boys in my local always wear a nice tweed three piece for Sunday lunch time drinks, don’t look over dressed, they look great, probably feel good too, especially if they’ve spent the week in work clothes.

johnblack

Über Member
Just for the record, that's most definitely not where I was coming from, as I suspect you know.
I never assume anything, it’s difficult to tell without the emphasis of the spoken word, but good on you for your stance. I am obviously a tad shallow.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Just watching this. 'Ash' says that every chap should have a tweed jacket in his wardrobe.

I have ten, though quite a few are charity shop bargains bought for a fiver. Tweed is seen these days as something the 'well off' (even eccentric🧐) wear, but tweed was originally a working man's/women's fabric.

Last edited:

Gunk

Guru
I’ve got about half a dozen. I have been wearing them for work for about 30 years. Although these days I usually wear a V neck jumper and a Schoffel gillet, as it’s much more comfortable.

Badger_Boom

Über Member
Just watching this. 'Ash' says that every chap should have a tweed jacket in his wardrobe.

I have ten, though quite a few are charity shop bargains bought for a fiver. Tweed is seen these days as something the 'well off' (even eccentric🧐) wear, but tweed was originally a working man's/women's fabric.

I disagree with this. The Peaky Blinders effect means that every group of male race goers and stag parties in York seem to wear tweed jackets and waistcoats with jeans and Ecky Thump style flat caps.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Tweed's a bit hipster now isn't it? Beard, tattoos, tweed waistcoat over open neck shirt with rolled up sleeves, HebTroCo jeans and big boots, drinking craft ale in a micropub.

Edit: Ha, here we are, the whole outfit really set off by whatever the hell that leather harness thing is.

fc0b434a-5ee7-4e74-8697-df781b1a02c1.jpg

Last edited:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I disagree with this. The Peaky Blinders effect means that every group of male race goers and stag parties in York seem to wear tweed jackets and waistcoats with jeans and Ecky Thump style flat caps.
Yes but he's talking about normal society, not fancy dress race goers and stag even hen parties.:rolleyes:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Tweed's a bit hipster now isn't it? Beard, tattoos, tweed waistcoat over open neck shirt with rolled up sleeves, HebTroCo jeans and big boots, drinking craft ale in a micropub.

Edit: Ha, here we are, the whole outfit really set off by whatever the hell that leather harness thing is.

View attachment 624446
It looks like he's just chucked a charity shop find 'tweed' and pleather (plastic leather) waistcoat on. He's not wearing it too well either. It's too short. Waistcoats are supposed to cover a belt if one is worn. If they can't cover the waist area then braces should be worn. He also has the bottom button fastened which is the incorrect way. To me this is a cheap and chavvy way to wear tweed. This is how someone like 'Sir' :rolleyes: David Beckham would wear tweed.🧐 Maybe those hideous 'tatts' have influenced my opinion?🤔

Top Bottom