The men's dress style thread..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
The video failed to mention that the outdoor servants were kitted out in the Estate Tweed as a uniform.
Also failed to mention Harris Tweed which is probably the only type made to order nowadays.

Badger_Boom

Ɯber Member
It looks like he's just chucked a charity shop find 'tweed' and pleather (plastic leather) waistcoat on. He's not wearing it too well either. It's too short. Waistcoats are supposed to cover a belt if one is worn. If they can't cover the waist area then braces should be worn. He also has the bottom button fastened which is the incorrect way. To me this is a cheap and chavvy way to wear tweed. This is how someone like 'Sir' :rolleyes: David Beckham would wear tweed.šŸ§ Maybe those hideous 'tatts' have influenced my opinion?šŸ¤”
I think David Beckham has a very good style advisor because, tattoos aside, heā€™s usually very well turned out especially where ā€˜properā€™ tailoring is involved. Perhaps heā€˜s a devotee of Chapism?

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
very well turned out especially where ā€˜properā€™ tailoring is involved. Perhaps heā€˜s a devotee of Chapism?
He does have the advantage of being able to afford made to measure 3 grand suites, so that does help quite a lot, though granted you still have to be able to carry them off as they say. Has he been accepted into the chap brotherhood though? šŸ¤”

Not when you wear stuff like this i'd say!!šŸ§ :stop:

1641080388516.png

winjim

Smash the cistern
He does have the advantage of being able to afford made to measure 3 grand suites, so that does help quite a lot, though granted you still have to be able to carry them off as they say. Has he been accepted into the chap brotherhood though? šŸ¤”

View attachment 624584
Imagine wearing a suit to visit a gym in LA. He's wearing appropriate dress for the activity, climate and community. It's not what I'd wear but my chest and arms don't look like that.

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Sadly it seems that Tweed is "in" with every other ebay listing mentioning "Peaky Blinders" somewhere in the listing... however that aside it's nice to see some love for it. Seems I've developed a bit of a fetish for Harris tweed; ideally I'd like a nice long overcoat in something with a splash of colour - although these seem hard to come by and expensive when they do turn up.

I'm very tempted by a nice suit jacket too; such as this one that I'm currently struggling not to buy:

1641115901810.png

:wub:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Sadly it seems that Tweed is "in" with every other ebay listing mentioning "Peaky Blinders" somewhere in the listing... however that aside it's nice to see some love for it. Seems I've developed a bit of a fetish for Harris tweed; ideally I'd like a nice long overcoat in something with a splash of colour - although these seem hard to come by and expensive when they do turn up.

I'm very tempted by a nice suit jacket too; such as this one that I'm currently struggling not to buy:

:wub:
Try to avoid matching neck wear, shirts and pocket squares. The idea of a pocket square is to give a touch of colour and individuality. Try and make the pocket square as far away from your tie/cravat/bow tie/shirt as possible. I saw a news reader last night (On my laptop, not in the flesh:rolleyes:) wearing a pale pink shirt with a kind of 'shocking pink' pocket square.:stop: It just did not look right! It looked to me like he'd tried to match the shirt and pocket square thinking 'well, both are pink so that'll do'.:rolleyes:

Badger_Boom

Ɯber Member

View attachment 624584
An occasional foray into sportswear doesnā€™t seem to do the chapish likes of Mr B any harm. That said, the Chap isnā€™t what it once was; anarchodandyism seems to have been replaced by po-faced dressing up and Steampunk.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member

Mmm, 851 different ways to fold a pocket square.šŸ¤”

I find that by just folding it higgledy-piggledy you get the desired affect.

Sprezzatura one might call it, which means....

Sprezzatura is the art of looking great, but without fussiness. It's embracing imperfection, and in so doing, pulling it off. When pulled off expertly, sprezzatura is what you get when you put a lot of thought into your clothing, but it doesn't appear that you did so.

simongt

Guru
It often amuses me to see couples out with the lass dressed pretty smartly, but the lad looks as if he's been thrown into the Oxfam rejects bag and come out wearing whatever happens to have stuck to him - ! :rofl:
But then he makes the lass look even smarter, although conversely, if she isn't going to criticise his lack of dress sense, is she as much to blame - ? :whistle:

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Try to avoid matching neck wear, shirts and pocket squares. The idea of a pocket square is to give a touch of colour and individuality. Try and make the pocket square as far away from your tie/cravat/bow tie/shirt as possible. I saw a news reader last night (On my laptop, not in the flesh:rolleyes:) wearing a pale pink shirt with a kind of 'shocking pink' pocket square.:stop: It just did not look right! It looked to me like he'd tried to match the shirt and pocket square thinking 'well, both are pink so that'll do'.:rolleyes:

Thanks - although pocket squares are a long way into my future currently I think!

Top Bottom