The men's dress style thread..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I wore a suit and tie to work for about 25 years so I would always wear casual stuff when not working

Fast forward and I'm mainly working from home and the companies I work with are very "new economy" so joggers, sweatshirts etc are normal. Having said that, there has been a real shift in acceptable business wear. Not long ago, meeting London lawyers, accountants etc they were 100% suit and tie. Now that's unusual and it's chinos, sweater with a shirt etc, no tie. In London recently I wore chinos and an open neck shirt for business meetings and didn't feel underdressed at all

My casual day wear has meant I try to dress up a bit if going out though

byegad

Legendary Member
Usually I'm wearing tracky bottoms and T-shirt and light fleece, around the house.
Going out casual trousers, shirt and possibly a sweater under an expensive leather jacket.
Having worked for 25 yrs where a jacket and tie were expected*, I came to loath and detest ties. To me they are the most useless bit of frippery in the male wardrobe.

* For most of that time a round neck pullover meant I wasn't wearing a tie, but who knew? A cold room was a great excuse for the pullover.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Giving up shopping M&S menswear is the best clothing thing I've ever done. I had no idea how bad it is.
I bought two pairs of their slim fit cords (navy and bottle green) online nearly a year ago. I've found them quite stylish and ok after washing. I also bought two pairs of their leather gloves (tan and dark brown) for half the original £48 asking price. Sadly I dropped/lost the tan ones about 2 months ago while out walking. I found both pairs to be of a decent standard of 'nappa' leather. I think M&S sell some decent stuff, but more online than in their stores.

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
Jeans, tight T shirt to show off my muscular torso and bulging guns, baseball cap in summer and cloth cap in winter. All the style a man needs.

If im spending the day at home then its joggers, or shorts in warm weather.

tyred

Legendary Member
I've always taken tips from a fashion icon.

johnblack

Über Member
M&S Autograph range is very similar (but cheaper) version of Reiss. So you can get some fairly nice bits in amongst their very dull other stuff. They are also good for polo shirts, well made so keep their shape and colour and can be used for smart as well as casual.

Dress from your feet up, good shoes is the starting point.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
We live in the countryside and dress in fleecy/breathable outdoor technical gear.

As I type I am wearing a Berghaus technical T, Berghaus mid-weight fleece top, fleecy North Face joggers and some light technical walking socks from some obscure outdoor company.

Pubs up here are usually full of similar except for the poncy ones that serve food from incomprehensible menus - these we avoid like the plague anyway for other non-dress related reasons.

We have smarter stuff for the odd occasion that we need it but it's not really 'us' anymore - after years of corporate clobber it was nice to let go when the time came to downsize our mad working life.

Venod

Eh up
I have quite a bit of Rohan stuff bought in the sale or second hand, their new prices are ridiculous, I have took to buying from charity shops, bought a decent pair of quality black jeans for for £3.50 last week.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
I’m in the same hanging basket as @PaulSB .
When I was at Corpus it was a college crested polo shirt. Now I work for myself it’s a DB Horticulture grey polo, fleece and gilet.

out of work if we’re going out i like to wear a nice short sleeved shirt. If I have a brand preference it’s Ben Sherman. A polo will be Fred Perry.
I always wear shorts. I’ve worn trousers once in the last 3 years.
Salomon shoes are my go to as is my RAB gilet.

I’m getting married next year. I’ll be in shorts, but there will be a white shirt, tweed waistcoat and some decent shoes. Basically the same but more posh like!

Badger_Boom

Über Member
I’ve drifted to Rohan stuff over the years. I usually wait for the sales.
Inspired by a friend who lived near Long Preston I bought my first pair of Bags back in the late 80s for a D of E expedition and have worn little else since. I've liked their form follow function approach in the early days, although in recent years some of their stuff has gone a bit to 'Saga adventure holiday' for my tastes.

PK99

Legendary Member
Inspired by a friend who lived near Long Preston I bought my first pair of Bags back in the late 80s for a D of E expedition and have worn little else since. I've liked their form follow function approach in the early days, although in recent years some of their stuff has gone a bit to 'Saga adventure holiday' for my tastes.

Agree on the Saga point, they have followed the age demographic of their regular customers who have bulging wallets. Back in the day they were by far the best technical clothing, the are now many others

johnblack

Über Member
It’s always worth making the effort.

I guarantee any of your wife/ girlfriend/ significant others, will be out, see a well turned out gent and think, “I wish my one would put in a bit of effort more regularly.” Same goes for when you see a well turned out woman.

Nothing wrong with fleece, cargos, trainers, outdoor gear and the like, but nothing beats sticking on some decent clothes, even if you’re just going out for coffee or popping in to town to buy a few bits.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
You do know what SAGA means? Sex And Games for the Aged.😊

Top Bottom